Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

****2023 Trail and Ultra Running****

39,892 Views | 711 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by TRD-Ferguson
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone keeping up with Candice Burt's 50k streak? She's on day 74. Yesterday was 73, the day after HURT 100. It's pretty impressive, but seeing pictures, she's starting to look like a skeleton. She's always been tiny, but she's starting to look bad. Wondering how much longer before her body starts breaking down.
aggiespartan
AG
AggieOO said:

Anyone keeping up with Candice Burt's 50k streak? She's on day 74. Yesterday was 73, the day after HURT 100. It's pretty impressive, but seeing pictures, she's starting to look like a skeleton. She's always been tiny, but she's starting to look bad. Wondering how much longer before her body starts breaking down.
I saw this a few days ago and thought I don't know how in the world she's able to eat enough.
aggiespartan
AG
I just looked at her instagram and some people have very politely asked her about weight/muscle loss through this and she just tells them that they are rude for commenting on someone's weight. Normally I would agree with such a comment, but it seems like a valid and worthwhile discussion for this type of activity.
AggieOO
not surprised. she can be very defensive in general sometimes.
Ragoo
AG
She has to be fueling and resting.

Iron cowboy did 100 days straight - full distance triathlon.
aggiespartan
AG
It doesn't look like she's keeping up. Looking back through her pictures (she has posted every day), you can tell there is some muscle loss. Every time I do a marathon or ultra, I lose a few pounds because I just can't replenish enough.
aggiespartan
AG
I'm looking for options for a good first 100k. Looking for something towards the end of this year, beginning of next year, but February is out (one of my friends that wants to pace always has commitments in February). Some elevation is fine but I don't want to climb a mountain. I don't really have a preference for loops or point to point. Travel is fine if it's a cool race.
Ragoo
AG
Bandera 100k
aggiespartan
AG
Ragoo said:

Bandera 100k
Does anyone know when registration typically opens? I can't find a date anywhere.
Ragoo
AG
The 2023 race just happened so not for a little while.
AggieOO
Bandera isn't "climbing a mountain" but it does have significant climbing. Other than the prairie section, there's nothing flat out there. I've run it 4 times, so happy to give intel.
aggiespartan
AG
Ragoo said:

The 2023 race just happened so not for a little while.
I guess I'll hear about it when it's close. I guess it doesn't look like it usually sells out that fast. I wanted to the Dam Yeti this year, but it sold out in like 30 minutes.
AggieOO
Yeah, Bandera historically doesn't sell out, especially since they moved the 50k to Sunday. That doubled the capacity of the 100k. 3 out of the 4 times I ran it, I registered in December after the western states lottery.
agdoc-ultrarunner
AG
Sweep4-2 said:

Thank y'all both for the guidance, much appreciated. I'll plan on the road shoe but will bring the trail shoes along just in case.

I was secretly hoping someone would tell me to run in a Road to trail hybrid (like the new Saucony Ride TR) so I could explain to my wife that another new pair of shoes was needed.
I am running the 100km at rocky raccoon. I am using the saucony xodus ultra shoe; if you needed another shoe pair that is the one I would choose over the saucony ride. The xodus is lighter and better cushioning and overall a bitter fitting shoe.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieOO
my brother-in-law and I are starting 4x4x48 tomorrow. We are doing it "together." He's out in LA, so we'll check in with each other before/after each run. No idea how this will go, but will start at 10p CST.
Sweep4-2
agdoc-ultrarunner said:

Sweep4-2 said:

Thank y'all both for the guidance, much appreciated. I'll plan on the road shoe but will bring the trail shoes along just in case.

I was secretly hoping someone would tell me to run in a Road to trail hybrid (like the new Saucony Ride TR) so I could explain to my wife that another new pair of shoes was needed.
I am running the 100km at rocky raccoon. I am using the saucony xodus ultra shoe; if you needed another shoe pair that is the one I would choose over the saucony ride. The xodus is lighter and better cushioning and overall a bitter fitting shoe.
Thanks, much appreciated. I went up last weekend and ran the course, and am planning on wearing my trail shoes (a pair of Saucony Peregrine 12's with about 140 miles on them). Not as comfortable as my road shoes, but feel like the lower heel and the better traction is a good trade-off (and I'm only going 20 miles which is super short for y'all.....but is the furthest I've eve gone.

Really looking forward to just being there to help support my friend and to see a real ultra race in-person.

Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
AggieOO
First "loop" of 4x4x48 is done. Time to try and rest up.
AggieOO
loop 2 at 2a was a little weird, but honestly the 6a loop was a little more difficult just from the fact that i felt like i was still sleeping when i headed out. hoping these next few are a bit easier since they will be in daylight.

3 down!
Tamuag04
AG
Keep the updates coming 00 - always wanted to give that a go!
AggieOO
run #4 was actually the easiest one. I think its b/c it was in the daylight. Miles went by much after mentally.

So far, my 3rd run at 6a was the hardest. I was in the middle of a dream. Went from dreaming to running in less than 10 mins. That was a weird adjustment.

legs are feeling ok, but I imagine tonights runs are going to be the tough ones.
AggieOO
run #5 in the books. This was the best one yet. just felt easy.

I'm pretty tired, but caffeine is helping. legs dont' feel like garbage, yet.
94chem
If you've never been to Cloudcroft, it is amazing. I've hiked some on this trail:

https://ultrarunning.com/calendar/event/cloudcroft-ultra-53k-and-9-5-mile
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
AggieOO
I've run that race, it's a good one and benefits the local kids.
AggieOO
Halfway done. Figure the next one won't be too bad, but 2a and 6a are likely going to be rough.
AggieOO
6a was a tough run again. Three more to go. Really feeling the legs now.
Tamuag04
AG
Keep it up 00 - anxious to hear your summary
AggieOO
10 down. Definitely felt better on the last one. Daylight does wonders.
AggieOO
One more to go. It's weird, I feel like absolute garbage, but within a quarter mile, I start feeling "good," and I'm running stronger than I was yesterday.
AggieOO
And done. Will write something up later.
94chem
AggieOO said:

Will read. I don't understand why people care about the pace on this thing.

Seems like a 7 minute mile and a 9 minute mile are the same thing. Is there some prize for the least cumulative time?
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
AggieOO
94chem said:

AggieOO said:

Will read. I don't understand why people care about the pace on this thing.

Seems like a 7 minute mile and a 9 minute mile are the same thing. Is there some prize for the least cumulative time?
no. and i wasn't really running "fast" at any point. most of my average paces for the 4 mile segments were in the mid 10s and some in the 11s. Had a couple in the 9s and the last one was mid 8s, but mostly b/c i just wanted to be done.
AggieOO
4x4x48 was interesting, we'll see how it translates to training. I used this as a substitute for my longest long run of my training block for Black Canyons 100k. Honestly, I was expecting this to be more difficult than it actually was. My brother-in-law agreed. That said, we are both training for ultras and have a lot of miles on our legs. For a weekend warrior who runs 3 or 4 miles a day a couple times a week...i have a feeling, this would be brutal. The overnight legs were the worst, with the 6a being the most difficult both days. We started at night, which I honestly think was a good thing. I started at 10p, he's in california, so he started at 8p. I was very glad to be finishing my last legs in the daylight. I can't imagine trying to slog through the early morning legs to finish this out. Those were mentally the most difficult. I ran different routes for sanity reasons, but my brother in law ran the same 2x2mile route for every single run. Fueling was interesting, by middle of the second day, I was ravenous. I'd eat and immediately feel hungry again. Since the runs were only 4 miles, I didn't really fuel or drink much on the runs. My legs got heavy after 4 or 5 runs, but soreness never really set in. I'd feel like garbage when I'd start runs, but by the time I was at the end of the block, things would loosen up and I'd feel fine. If I ever did it again, i think i'd schedule it during the week when I have a light work week. Friday went by so fast, as work distracted me between runs. Yesterday, the time between runs just seemed to drag and drag.

I have some minor soreness today and still feel a little tired, though that might have to do with the 4 decently high ABV beers I had last night. Overall, it was a positive experience. I'm glad I did it, but not sure I'd do it again, unless I was training for a stage race, relay race, or something similar. I'm also very glad my brother in law was down to do it "together" b/c I'm not sure I would have gotten up and out the door for the 2a runs otherwise. We checked in with each other before and after every leg.

Overall, it wasn't anything super difficult or interesting, but happy to answer questions if anyone has any.
aggiespartan
AG
What typically are your long runs training for a 50k, 100k, and 100m?
AggieOO
totally depends on the training program. I'm more of a time on my feet guy over pure mileage these days. Mostly b/c its easier with kids and a wife who also trains. She knows pretty much exactly when I'll be back. That, and I've done the distances in the past, so I don't need the mental confidence of running "x" amount of miles.

50K won't be much different than a marathon training program, from a distance perspective.

50 mile, 100k, 100 miler can all look pretty similar. For a 50 miler and a 100K, optimally, I'd probably do a 50K as a longest run, but I've done them on shorter. For the 100K i'm doing in a few weeks, the longest run I'll have done is about 21.5 miles. But that's due to having injury issues that torpedoed my training program.

100 miler, I'd optimally do a 50 miler, don't really need to go that far. 50K will work too. I've finish AT100 with no single run over 25 miles.

All of the above said, its really about how the entire training block is structured. If you run like seven or 8 20+ or a bunch of back-to-back long runs of 20/15 miles or something, then you can easily get away with a shorter longest run. Running low mileage, slogging through a 50 miler 5 weeks out and then showing up at the start of a 100 won't be as effective as a good plan with a shorter long run.

maybe you were hoping for a more straight-forward answer, but everyone and every training program is different.

then you have someone like Camille, who barely does long runs. That said, she also has the genes for it and races enough that she has a huge base to draw from. And if you read the article, she does a lot of 10-15 mile runs during the week.

https://www.trailrunnermag.com/training/camille-herron-says-skip-the-long-run/
aggiespartan
AG
AggieOO said:

totally depends on the training program. I'm more of a time on my feet guy over pure mileage these days. Mostly b/c its easier with kids and a wife who also trains. She knows pretty much exactly when I'll be back. That, and I've done the distances in the past, so I don't need the mental confidence of running "x" amount of miles.

50K won't be much different than a marathon training program, from a distance perspective.

50 mile, 100k, 100 miler can all look pretty similar. For a 50 miler and a 100K, optimally, I'd probably do a 50K as a longest run, but I've done them on shorter. For the 100K i'm doing in a few weeks, the longest run I'll have done is about 21.5 miles. But that's due to having injury issues that torpedoed my training program.

100 miler, I'd optimally do a 50 miler, don't really need to go that far. 50K will work too. I've finish AT100 with no single run over 25 miles.

All of the above said, its really about how the entire training block is structured. If you run like seven or 8 20+ or a bunch of back-to-back long runs of 20/15 miles or something, then you can easily get away with a shorter longest run. Running low mileage, slogging through a 50 miler 5 weeks out and then showing up at the start of a 100 won't be as effective as a good plan with a shorter long run.

maybe you were hoping for a more straight-forward answer, but everyone and every training program is different.

then you have someone like Camille, who barely does long runs. That said, she also has the genes for it and races enough that she has a huge base to draw from. And if you read the article, she does a lot of 10-15 mile runs during the week.

https://www.trailrunnermag.com/training/camille-herron-says-skip-the-long-run/
She doesn't do super long runs, but she's still hitting about 100 mile weeks. She's posted more about her schedule on instagram, and even though she's not doing super long runs, she's still running a lot.

My 50k plan has me doing 24 this weekend. I think as long as I hit 20, I'll be happy, but I'll see how it goes. I'm not concerned about this race I have coming up, but I'm definitely looking forward to some new distances. I've been using the plans out of Relentless Forward Progress so far. Not sure if I'll change it up or not for the next race.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.