Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

****2023 Trail and Ultra Running****

39,850 Views | 711 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by TRD-Ferguson
A is A
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's a long day for you for a 50k?
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I am signed up, but havent been training. I might show up and limp through it. Not sure yet though, as I am currently FAT AF
AggieOO
Depends on terrain and gain. TBH, I don't even know what trails they are using for the loops. If it's just the big ass wide "race loop," that makes it easier. But if we are going single track up/over/around all the granite, it'll be a bit more challenging. Would be great to keep it under 7 hours, but with my current shape/weight, not sure if that'll happen. I'm basically doing the race to enter the additional lottery for Leadville.
aggiespartan
AG
AggieOO said:

Depends on terrain and gain. TBH, I don't even know what trails they are using for the loops. If it's just the big ass wide "race loop," that makes it easier. But if we are going single track up/over/around all the granite, it'll be a bit more challenging. Would be great to keep it under 7 hours, but with my current shape/weight, not sure if that'll happen. I'm basically doing the race to enter the additional lottery for Leadville.
Is there a time requirement for Leadville or just a finish?
AggieOO
The winners in AG get in, but I'm way too fat/slow right now to even think about that. But finishers have the option of putting their name into a lottery that is drawn on race day for the 2024 Leadville race.
AggieOO
Just noticed it's an 8.5 hour cutoff to qualify.
AggieOO
I'll be in Arlington for work next week, basically right by AT&T Stadium. Looking at a map, River Legacy Park looks to have some DORBA trails. Anyone know if you can run those or are they MTB only? The website doesn't specify.
aston158
its been about 2 years, but i've run those trails before. there were some bikes out, but it was doable. very easy to get turned around and confused with all the forks and cut-throughs between the various loops. no idea if it's been changed to mtb only since then.

assume you're referring to the trails at the end of rose-brown may pkwy.
AggieOO
i know literally nothing about the area, but this is the place:

https://riverlegacy.org/river-legacy-park-information
A is A
AG
AggieOO said:

Just noticed it's an 8.5 hour cutoff to qualify.
is it 8 or 8.5?

I thought it was 8 (7:30 - 3:30).

Either way. I'll be back in the back with y'all.
A is A
AG
AggieOO said:

60% single track / 40% jeep roads per the race guide.
AggieOO
The jeep road will be "easy." Single track could be easy or could go up and over reveille peak. I haven't looked at the map very closely.

And and for cutoff, 8 hours makes more sense, as the lottery is at 330. But the guide says 8.5. So who knows.
aggiespartan
AG
Do you think that's a challenging cutoff or a generous cutoff? After all the DNFs at Leadville this year, I saw a lot of people saying it's too easy to get in.
AggieOO
At reveille peak? I think that's pretty generous.

As for too easy to get in...I think that's somewhat BS. The overall finisher rate at Leadville is historically low. The highest ever is 56%. It's a tough 100.
aggiespartan
AG
Bigs Backyard is down to 2 runners - Harvey Lewis and Ihor Verys from Canada. Ihor almost quit this lap, but the crowd egged him on. They are on 107. I have no interest in running these kinds of races, but they are interesting to watch.
AggieOO
I feel the same way. I like to track, but have zero interest in the format myself. I ran one as a "long run," knowing I'd drop after 20+ miles. After about 3 yards I hated every step.
aggiespartan
AG
Ihor's crew has had to talk him off the ledge a couple of times. Harvey looks in better sorts, but who knows what will happen in the next couple yards.
aggiespartan
AG
Ihor just said "this is ridiculous. Are you sure you want me to go out and run and come back again." "I can't believe, like, what we are doing."
aggiespartan
AG
Ihor just sat down on the road. Can't really tell what he's doing. Looks like he's messing with his shoes.

He turned around and is walking back now.
AggieOO
Harvey wins it.
agdoc-ultrarunner
AG
just signed up for the Rocky Raccoon 100mi on feb 3rd in Huntsville. Did the 100k last year. Anybody on here running it this year. Would love to suffer a bit along with some fellow Ags out there.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieOO
https://garyrobbinsrun.com/blog/2023/10/what-really-went-down-in-whistler

UTMB bullying, as usual.
AggieOO
agdoc-ultrarunner said:

just signed up for the Rocky Raccoon 100mi on feb 3rd in Huntsville. Did the 100k last year. Anybody on here running it this year. Would love to suffer a bit along with some fellow Ags out there.

Rocky is a great race, but I just can't mentally handle multi looped courses for longer races. Two loops (like Bandera) is about the most I can handle, and even that leaves me hating the last 1/4 of the race.
aggiespartan
AG
AggieOO said:

https://garyrobbinsrun.com/blog/2023/10/what-really-went-down-in-whistler

UTMB bullying, as usual.

Latest crack a brew with AJW talks about it too. He's fired up.
aggiespartan
AG
Is it difficult to charge your watch during a race? I'm having a hard time deciding what my next watch will be. It's between the Fenix 7 pro and the epix pro and the 42 or 47mm faces. Is the extra battery on the Fenix and larger size really worth it, or will it be a non issue for me?

My current watch does have the AMOLED screen and I'm just afraid I will miss that with the Fenix.
AggieOO
It depends on how the watch connects to a charger. My fenix 3, I could wear while charging. That's not possible with my fenix 6. That said, the main reason I bought it was to not have to charge it during a race.*

*something like cocodona, notwithstanding
aggiespartan
AG
The port is in the same place I believe. The 47mm Epix has better battery life (according to the website) than the small Fenix, but worse than the larger Fenix. I tried on my husband's 47mm Forerunner, and it is big, but I'm sure I'd get used to it. The larger display would be easier to read probably.

The reviews also say that the Epix charges faster than the Fenix.
AggieOO
I got the wife the smaller one, but got her the solar version to help with battery life. That said, she probably won't go beyond 100k, so it works for her.
aggiespartan
AG
Heather Jackson has a commanding lead going into the last loop at Javelina.
Ragoo
AG
aggiespartan said:

Heather Jackson has a commanding lead going into the last loop at Javelina.
awesome. Hopefully she gets WS100 redemption after last year.
aggiespartan
AG
The last split they gave was about a 34 minute lead.
aggiespartan
AG
Does anyone know when DORBA updates the trail statuses? I'd like to try to go for a run tomorrow but everything is closed today because of the rain.
AggieOO
can't speak for DORBA and don't know how much rain you guys got up that way, but its going to take several days for trails to dry out enough to open down here. The wind will help, but no sun and cooler temps don't.
agdoc-ultrarunner
AG
AggieOO said:

agdoc-ultrarunner said:

Rocky is a great race, but I just can't mentally handle multi looped courses for longer races. Two loops (like Bandera) is about the most I can handle, and even that leaves me hating the last 1/4 of the race.
I love it as I have a home base with a tent with nourishment and extra clothing every 20miles. Looped courses I love but I can also do point to point as well as would just leave drop bags. I just love ultras I guess
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieOO
It was my first 100 back in 2012. It's definitely great for easy logistics.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.