Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

****2023 Trail and Ultra Running****

39,884 Views | 711 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by TRD-Ferguson
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ragoo said:

That race is at night - how does that work? Everyone camping?

People will camp, but I can tell you from experience that camping at these races is more miserable than the races. The one time we tried, we packed up at 2a and drove home.
aggiespartan
AG
It's probably pretty noisy too if you aren't racing the longest distance. I'll probably just find a hotel that isn't super far.
Ragoo
AG
I guess I was thinking being a SP they usually close the gates at 10pm.
AggieOO
They make exceptions for the events.
aggiespartan
AG
Crack a Brew with AJW is a new podcast that's pretty entertaining.
AggieOO
Agreed. Been listening for a few weeks.
Ragoo
AG
So a week out from WS, who are your picks for winners?

Hayden Hawks
Heather Jackson
AggieOO
I'd like to see Hayden win, but I don't know if he'll come through. Tom Evans will be interesting to watch.

On the women's side...Courtney.
johnson2012
AG
Ragoo said:

That race is at night - how does that work? Everyone camping?

I camped after Colorado Bend last year. I will not be camping at any of the Capt Carl's races this year. I set my tent up far enough away from start/finish that noise wasn't a big deal, but the heat... I had done the 30k and it took several hours to relax and chill before I could start falling asleep (in which time I could have driven home and showered). When I finally did fall asleep it was terrible quality. Just one of those lay on your sleeping bags and sweat on and off kinda nights. Woke up at first light and went to whataburger in Lampasas. 1/5 would not do again.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I'll be in winter park during CO Bend race this year, but I'll be doing the 30k at the other three. I've got a couple first timers joining at Pedernales and Muleshoe signed up for the 10k.
aggiespartan
AG
I wouldn't bet against Courtney, but both fields are pretty stacked. It sounds like there's going to be a pretty rough stretch where there was a fire and is now completely exposed.
AggieOO
Ragoo said:

Hayden Hawks
Heather Jackson
if you are following Heather Jackson, she's doing the Unbound/WS100 double. Here's the Unbound portion:

also, if anyone isn't familiar with Heather, freetrail had a good podcast with her a while back.
aggiespartan
AG
Courtney, Arlen and one other guy are doing the Western States/Hardrock double. That should be interesting too.
AggieOO
aggiespartan said:

Courtney, Arlen and one other guy are doing the Western States/Hardrock double. That should be interesting too.
Courtney
Arlen Glick
John Famiglietti
Pam Reed (plus Badwater in between WS and HR)
Dafstun
AG
I plan on at least attempting to camp at Colorado Bend knowing full well how hot and impossible it will be to sleep. There were only 2 tent spots left when I looked so I went ahead and grabbed one. I may end up sleeping in my truck with it running for a few hours or just pack up and drive back to Houston. Only other time I've tried was Pedernales Falls in 2021 and it wasn't enjoyable.
Ragoo
AG
This is exactly why I picked her. She has done Kona 8 years in a row and recently retired from Triathlon and took up trails and gravel. She finished 5th in the Javelina 100 in her first trail event.

She has the motor to get it done, should have the endurance. It's the climbing legs that may hold her back.
AggieOO
she's definitely a dark horse. I wouldn't be shocked if she pulled it off, but at the same time, I don't expect her to. I do expect her to be top 10.
aggiespartan
AG
I just booked a hotel in Lampasas for Colorado Bend. I know I'm not going to want to drive back to DFW.

unrelated: has anyone run any of the Yeti trail races out in the Virginia area? As long as I make it through Bandera this year, I'm considering either the Yeti 100 or Javalina for my first 100. Open to other suggestions as well. I'm also looking at the Dam Yeti next June but all the Yeti races sell out super fast.
AggieOO
Never done a Yeti race, but Jason is a very well-respected RD.

Javelina has been on my list, but I just can't bring myself to run a bunch of loops. Did that at RR100 for my first, and it was great logistically, but mentally, I can't convince myself to do it. Everything else about the race looks great.
aggiespartan
AG
The Yeti 100 might be better for me then. I can get through a couple of loops, but I think it would be harder for me to keep going. I can see how loops would be better logistically for crew.

At Loup Garou in Louisiana, I did 2 loops for the 40 miler, and I felt like I probably could have kept on with loops mentally, but I really enjoyed that course.

I'll have to rethink it if I don't get in to Yeti.
Ragoo
AggieOO
everyone deals with loops differently. Some people love them. TBH, multiple out and backs on a rails-to-trail doesn't sound that interesting to me either, and if i'm not mistake, that's the Yeti course. But like multiple loops, logistically, its going to be a huge positive, especially for a first 100.
aggiespartan
AG
What are all of you guys' strategies for carrying liquids during a race? Carry more than you need just in case, or just carry what you need to get to the next aid station? In the past, I've always carried way more than I needed, but I'm leaning towards switching over to carry what will get me to the next aid station (plus a little extra just in case).
AggieOO
I generally take what is needed, plus maybe a bit more. Most of the time, two soft flasks are more than enough between aid stations. I always study the course for distance and the terrain between aid stations, as well as take weather into account. If there's a particularly long section that's hot, i'll carry a handheld or an additional soft flask for that section. That said, i've definitely run out of water before. And i've also arrived at an AS with almost full bottles.
aggiespartan
AG
This is what I'm thinking about trying out for Co Bend. I always carry way too much. I think I'm going to try gels in a little flask too. I always have so much stuff in my pack pockets that I get frustrated looking for a gel or an electrolyte pack.
RockOn
I'll take Ida Nilsson for wser. Got to meet her at the Monument Valley race this year and she crushed it.
coop-aero-06
AG
AggieOO said:

I generally take what is needed, plus maybe a bit more. Most of the time, two soft flasks are more than enough between aid stations. I always study the course for distance and the terrain between aid stations, as well as take weather into account. If there's a particularly long section that's hot, i'll carry a handheld or an additional soft flask for that section. That said, i've definitely run out of water before. And i've also arrived at an AS with almost full bottles.
This. I run with a Naked belt that can carry 2x 500mL soft flasks and a handful of gels.
coop-aero-06
AG
Ragoo said:

Hayden and Courtney, for me.

The weather is looking to be ideal; high temp of 80 degrees in Auburn, CA on Saturday. If it weren't for all the snow in the high country, I would say the course record is in danger this year.
oldarmy76
This is exactly what I do
johnson2012
AG
X3. I carry the same via my Salomon vest. Tejas Trails events have pretty short intervals between aid stations and are generally some of the better stocked set ups I've encountered. I make a point to top off whenever I pass through and that's kept me out of trouble.
johnson2012
AG
Also, anyone else going to be at Pedernales tomorrow? I'm shooting to be there by 615p or so for the 30k start at 7p
AggieOO
I'm smoking a brisket, making homemade biscuits and tortillas, and watching the WS100 live stream all day.
aggiespartan
AG
just got back from my run and turning it on
AggieOO
This guy Ed who did the course solo. What a great story!
aggiespartan
AG
I hadn't seen anyone talk about the Chinese guys pre race, but they are in it.
AggieOO
Maybe I'm biased, but I feel like those guys are going to blow up. Which means they probably go 1-2.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.