Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

****2023 Trail and Ultra Running****

39,848 Views | 711 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by TRD-Ferguson
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
yeah, that's kind of the point. She does big mileage but doesn't do super long runs. Us mortals aren't going for wins or records, so you don't need 100 mile weeks to do these distances. Just need to structure the training properly, and you can keep the long runs, not as long. I love back-to-backs, but just don't have time for them anymore, unfortunately. But those back to backs are where I saw the most return on investment. However, i also know some people don't like them.

i've used the RFP plans a bunch. i've always used it as a base and then tweaked, but they are solid plans. I've only read the book once, but I use it as a reference to build training plans quite a bit.
Tamuag04
AG
Best of luck to everyone headed to Huntsville SP this weekend for RR100. Will be interesting to see reports on trail conditions - the sandier sections should be good as they will drain well but there are sections on that back stretch that are going to be pretty soupy. I'll be there next weekend.
agdoc-ultrarunner
AG
Rocky Raccoon was one muddy course, roots galore and rarely flat. Where it was flat there was mud. That being said, it i a primo run race , volunteers are amazing, and the course is beautiful and well marked. I went into the race injured with my left knee but was not going to miss this race, I compensated by favoring my right knee and injured it at mile 37. The last lap i ran 40% and walked 60% due left and right knee pain. But by that time at 9-10 pm most were doing the same walk/run pattern. And that back 6miles of the coirse after the last rest stop had a lot of slop. My favorite section was mile 4-9 as its wide open and well drained. That last two miles though is hard. This was my 10th or so ultra, bht my most grateful to finish and get my buckle out of all of them. And at mile 42 onwards ramen , instant mashed potatoes, and quesadilas with cheese and bacon taste just amazing.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieOO
Congrats!
aggiespartan
AG
Nice! The last race I ran had little boiled potatoes rolled in salt. Those really hit the spot.
AggieOO
aggiespartan said:

Nice! The last race I ran had little boiled potatoes rolled in salt. Those really hit the spot.

Those are great, but instant are my preferred bc you don't have to chew. Even chewing soft foods can be exhausting 80 miles in.
Sweep4-2
I ran Rocky Raccoon this weekend as a pacer for a friend for miles 60-80 and was nervous never having run more than 15 miles. We had a rough 4th leg and I was ready to hand off to the next pacer…..he was MIA. So I continued for the 5th lap. Ended up running 40 miles.

It was so much harder than I realized it would be (temps, terrain, emotions) but it felt good to help her finish her first 100 miler.
Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
AggieOO
the fourth loop is tough for everyone. its usually the slowest split for most people.
agdoc-ultrarunner
AG
Sweep4-2 said:

I ran Rocky Raccoon this weekend as a pacer for a friend for miles 60-80 and was nervous never having run more than 15 miles. We had a rough 4th leg and I was ready to hand off to the next pacer…..he was MIA. So I continued for the 5th lap. Ended up running 40 miles.

It was so much harder than I realized it would be (temps, terrain, emotions) but it felt good to help her finish her first 100 miler.
that is impressive ! Fifteen miles to 40 is a mongo jump; and during the night makes it even more difficult; that's when you definitely make a difference as a pacer mentally and physically. And you are an ultra runner now!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agdoc-ultrarunner
AG
AggieOO said:

the fourth loop is tough for everyone. its usually the slowest split for most people.
that's when you make the most difference as a pacer in those last 30-40miles. I paced a friend once and lied so many times to him about the rest stops being right around the corner that I lost count.
AggieOO
Lying is a pacer's most important job!
Sweep4-2
Thanks! That ultra community was awesome to be a part of. Every person I met was nice, positive and enthusiastic and it makes me want to try a future event as a runner.

I'm still on an adrenaline high even though I was just a pacer. Felt great to see my friend (who was at rock bottom at mile 70) bounce back and finish before her goal time (noon).
Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
AggieOO
Night and day between trail/ultra and random racing. Once I hit the dirt, I lost all desire to race on the roads, much of it due to the community.

I've had complete strangers jump in and pace me. It's such a great atmosphere at events.

I look forward to where your journey takes you!
AggieOO
Oh, and crazy to go from 15 miles to ultra (40 miles). Great job!
Tamuag04
AG
1000%. Have not run a single asphalt/concrete race since my first trail race and have zero desire to ever do so again. Scenery, community, etc and given how dynamic your movements are and how many muscles and muscle groups you engage, I have found it easier to recover from a 25K trail run than a 10K road race.
MarathonAg12
AggieOO sighting in RR this morning
AggieOO
I have zero stickers on my car. I did have a 0.0 sticker on my laptop for awhile.

In real life, outside of talking to other runners, I generally don't even really like to talk too much about running.
MarathonAg12
I have a 5.56 oval sticker on my car. I had one person come up to me while doing yard work and ask me what it means since moving to Round Rock hehe

plus I get to trigger all the crazy liberals at trail races
aggiespartan
AG
Looks like there will be a few water crossings in my 50k in a couple of weeks. If things stay the same, they will be about waist high. I think there will be some more rain between now and then, so I don't think it's going to dry up much.
Sponge
AG
Tell that person they are missing a 200 and 250.
AggieOO
aggiespartan said:

Looks like there will be a few water crossings in my 50k in a couple of weeks. If things stay the same, they will be about waist high. I think there will be some more rain between now and then, so I don't think it's going to dry up much.
lube up those feet.

There are multiple water crossings at Black Canyons this weekend. I'm still trying to decide if i'm going to bother changing shoes/socks or just deal with wet feet. I've done probably 93 miles of a 100 with wet feet, so i'm sure I can handle it. The first crossing isn't until like mile 34 or so.
AggieOO
we are supposed to stay with my sister-in-law this weekend. Her husband is pacing me for the last 25 miles. My wife is running the 60K on sunday. Sister-in-law just popped positive for covid. Scrambling to figure out what to do at this point.
aggiespartan
AG
AggieOO said:

we are supposed to stay with my sister-in-law this weekend. Her husband is pacing me for the last 25 miles. My wife is running the 60K on sunday. Sister-in-law just popped positive for covid. Scrambling to figure out what to do at this point.
oof that sucks. Your track record with covid and races is not very good.
Smudge
AG
I can't catch a break.. no Hardrock, no States, and no Leadville for me. May just try to do Bear Chase 100k, but think my daughter will have a cross country meet that day. May just throw together some solo 100K+ adventures this summer/fall. Should have signed up for Bighorn or bear again... just didn't think I'd go 0 fer on the lotteries.
Class of '00
Gig 'em!
AggieOO
Nome of those lotteries are easy to get in from, so not surprised. Lots of people in the same boat.
aggiespartan
AG
I don't know if I want to wait until next year for my first 100k. Should I: do the 100k at Wild Canyon, just wait for Bandera in January, or find another 100k in between.
Smudge
AG
aggiespartan said:

I don't know if I want to wait until next year for my first 100k. Should I: do the 100k at Wild Canyon, just wait for Bandera in January, or find another 100k in between.

Just do one. Why wait?! Do wild Canyon and Bandera…
Class of '00
Gig 'em!
aggiespartan
AG
I was planning on doing both of them, but I wasn't sure about what distance I would do at Wild Canyon.
AggieOO
Wild canyon is multiple loops, so unless you just want to check off the distance, you won't see anything new. Then again, Bandera is 2 loops as well.
aggiespartan
AG
Yea, I was looking at that. Wild Canyon would be 4 loops. I'm not sure I want to go by home base that many times. Any recommendations for a good first 100k, if timing and location are flexible?
Smudge
AG
aggiespartan said:

I was planning on doing both of them, but I wasn't sure about what distance I would do at Wild Canyon.

Gotcha. And in my old age I've gotten over the loop thing. But you do you. I haven't found a point to point, single loop, or out and back 100k that's east to travel to. I just like the distance (100k+) so don't mind loops. Every loop feels different as those miles tick by.
Class of '00
Gig 'em!
aggiespartan
AG
Kind of interesting - announced today Camille Herron is with Lululemon. I do like a lot of their clothing, but I've never thought of them as a big trail runner sponsorship.
AggieOO
They made some pretty solid trail clothes a few years back, but hadn't seen anything out of them in a while. That said, I switched to path projects awhile back.
aggiespartan
AG
She's wearing their shoes too. I've heard mixed things about their shoes.
AggieOO
Black Canyons 100K tomorrow. Will be interesting, as I'm pretty under trained. Just gotta get to the 60k, pick up my pacer, and then use whatever is left for the last 25 miles.

Got to the expo late, so missed the pro panels, but still saw a bunch of pros and people like Jason Koop and AJW milling around.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.