College Station in the 1990s

152,563 Views | 584 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by mgj.23
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah, there was the liquor store on Southgate. Nasty-looking place (complete with a neon LIQUOR) place and it was eventually remodeled into Aggieland Outfitters. Still, it makes me a bit nostalgic.

And speaking of the area, who remembers the McDonald's Training Center? It was the 101 Grove building, but looked like a warehouse and had a HUGE McDonald's logo on the Wellborn side.
MisterShipWreck
I moved here in 1996. I remember an Easter morning in 96 or 97. No traffic to be seen on Texas avenue in Bryan for as far as the eye could see. Now look at TX Ave.

Remember Floppy Joes?

Kroger had a video Store around where 1/2 Priced Books is.

an Aquarium store on the corner of Holleman and Texas... And one in the old Bryan mall before it was torn down...

[This message has been edited by MisterShipWreck (edited 5/8/2012 7:41p).]
SlimM
AG
What about Hot Legs on Texas Ave. in CS? It was like a low-rent Hooters, but the food (and beer) was delicious!
bcsrunner
Hangin out with AC, Jim, Roy, et al at Redmond Terrace Barbershop.
FincAg
AG
Adult Video?
Dr. Teeth
AG
Disc-Go-Round
ksevern
AG
Hmmm. I bought my first house in the mid 80s near where Rock Prairie dead ended at Rio Grande. Don't think there was a dump there.
Clucky
The Chinese place next to where otb is now was Hunan.

The cornerstone on long mire was Kelly's Cornerstore.
AgDiehard
S
How about Games Galore!!! The absolute best arcade. Can't remember exactly when it shut down. If it was the 90s, it was prob right at '90 or '91. But I think it may have actually been the late '80s
nought
AG
La Taqueria

The Flying Tomato

Sundance

Marooned Records on Northgate

The Parthenon

Bombay Bicycle Club

Stafford Opera House (ok, Bryan, but same time frame)

Deluxe Burger Bar

Baja Yacht Club (bit later, but I think was still in the 90s)

3rd Floor Cantina (Bryan again)

Fajita Ritas

the movie theater at Post Oak Mall

Schulman 6 theater (...Bryan)

Ferrari's (I'm sure I spelled that wrong, but Italian place at corner of 6/2818 where Taste of China is now)

Double Dave's on Northgate

And last, but not least: Bonfire

waterchick
Moved here in 1995 and lived in "windowless" Sevilla Apts so I got to see the Olympic torch relay run past, and walk to see Bonfire. Another plus of that location was $0.99 margaritas at El Chico, where the bank is now. (No, the other bank-not the one where Olive Garden used to be. Wow, we have a lot of banks in this town!)

What was the name of the restaurant that was between where Petco & Starbucks are now? Kokopelli's?

csagyo, the Rock Prairie Road Landfill was open in the 1990's and had been for a while. I don't recall Southwood Athletic Park being the site of a former landfill.

Anyone remember the Time Out arcade in the mall food court? Mr. Egret might have made change for you or fixed your game.

What was in the shopping center where Barnes & Noble / Best Buy are now? I seem to remember something getting demolished but don't remember what.

(Apologies if I've listed places already mentioned.)
befitter
Burton Creek Pub replaced Ferrari's before it was Taste of China
DoubleTap45
Double Dave's at northgate was good, but the BEST DD's was in the Woodstone shopping center... the last one with character. Now they're all in those generic shopping center spots.

For that matter, the little Pizza Hut on northgate was cool too.

Glad someone mentioned the Cow Hop... but not the crappy one, after they moved to the Crazy Cajun's building. Remember when they were actually on northgate? You could get a full burger, fries & drink (and dress your own burger) for under four dollars.

Computer Access on Texas Ave., roughly near where Barnes & Noble is now. Paid close to two thousand dollars for a 486DX computer there once... with (I think) a forty megabyte hard drive. Wow.

What did the "Campus View" apartments at (then Kyle) and Harvey used to be called? Before it was Kensington Place either?

And, I miss the car wash that was behind the tiny Zip-In at Redmond and Texas, across from JJ's.
acp46
Condom Station at Northgate.
farmersfight
AG
Mazzios pizza at harvey washbangers;
2 day video right next door to mazzios;
When wings n more was wings n things on texas ave across from bonfire field;
Mama's pizza where the (maybe forgotten) restaurant bermuda triangle is;
Chinese restaurant where the donation/goodwill type place is on wellborn in southgate...they had the most yellow rice ever;
When South Knoll had a playground that could kill a kid. Several kids ended up with broken arms from the bridge;
The old dome auditorim at oakwood;
I HATED the stop sign at rose and munson;
Rock prarie elementary was bfe;
Humana/columbia hospital;
Casa tomas with the fountain and goldfish;

dylan
Gattiland on briarcrest.
PS3D
- "Condom Station"? For reals, or is that a nickname?

- The SK playground was torn down in 1997 (about). The kindergarten one survived, but in the mid to late 2000s it went too, replaced by plasticy garbage. Even the stumps you could hop on are now plastic.

- A hidden Domino's Pizza at Holleman and Anderson

- For a while (for some reason), the Dominik and Munson intersection was closed.

- When downtown Bryan was really run down, and had the "old fashioned" stoplights on poles (I'm pretty sure?)

- Nipa Hot Restaurant in the Sparks Building

EDIT: Also the water tank at the corner of Tarrow and University (the new fire station spot)

[This message has been edited by PS3D (edited 5/8/2012 11:34p).]
starbuck128
AG
Didn't the Christmas Store move to University Dr at some point, and become Cashion Cain? Or maybe it was always called that.

Manor East Mall, back when it actually had stores and the Wal-Mart. I remember there being a really fun pet store. That's an 80s thing though.

Fourth of July fireworks at Post Oak Mall, back before there was the George Bush library.
TXBlondie
Brazos Blue Ribbon on 29th street and also on Dominik where Blue Baker is now. And wasn't the one on Dominik also some kind of brewing company after that?

What was the name of the cafeteria that was in the mall?

Woolworth's was also in the mall. That's where I bought my first aggie shirt as a freshman!
PS3D
Yeah, there was a Luby's in the mall, and a Chelsea Street Pub in the front. It seemed to compliment the mall's décor.

Manor East Mall was a mostly-closed corridor except for a pet store by 2000.

The old bus station downtown, which I wrote about my blog one time.

University Police at George Bush and Wellborn.

George Bush Library pre-9/11.

Brazos Brewery Co. was in Dominik, but I don't remember it.

Seeing part of Kmart get renovated into TSC, and later getting Big Lots, Dollar General, and Yes! Less

Acrofit Gymnastics and Jacob's Well next door

Joe Schillaci 48
AG
quote:
I miss the El Chico at Texas and Holleman. I think it was a bar before El Chico was built.

That land was originally Bud Ward Volkswagen.

"Bud Ward Volkswagon, under water tower in College Station"...was their logo

HEB paid to move the water tower when they built their grocery store.
acp46
Condom Station was a real place, located where Hookah Starion is. It sold condoms. Lasted just a few months.
AggiePhil
AG
quote:
Manor East Mall was a mostly-closed corridor except for a pet store by 2000.

Don't forget about Gold's Gym which also remained open during the demo/remodel.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
-Started building my CD collection thanks to CD Exchange and Marooned Records on Northgate.

-Kept up with my comics collection thanks to Purple Cactus Comics that was next to Jacob's Well and across from Luby's in Bryan.

-R.I.P the Northgate Cow Hop and both Tom's locations.

-My freshman year at A&M (90-91) was when they were finishing up the remodeling of the basement of the MSC by putting in a new bowling alley and Hullaballoo's.

-The Taco Bell on University was originally built as a James Coney Island.

-I can't for the life of me remember the name of the now-empty diner next to Zapato's and Schotzky's. Good food.
jagouar1
AG
I remember when the dirty sock was on the outskirts of town and texas world speedway was way out there.

Still miss Tom's BBQ (on texas)... still haven't gotten a "good enough" replacement for them imo.

[This message has been edited by jagouar1 (edited 5/9/2012 8:45a).]
Mr. Palsgraf
quote:
What did the "Campus View" apartments at (then Kyle) and Harvey used to be called? Before it was Kensington Place either?

Tanglewood Apartments. Right next door was Travis House Apts.

Diamond Geezer
lol Travis House with that goofy lit up face on the side of the complex
billb94
Sneaker's on Harvey Bladder Buster drink specials!
Clucky
Bill-

I believe it was M&M Grill.

And I remember Condom Station, no one else ever does!

I grew up off of Dowling, and the Country Grocery had great sandwiches and chopped BBQ and hot links. I think it changed hands in early 2000's. I remember coming home one day after to visit and swinging in for a sandwich and seeing a huge cigarette display where the kitchen window used to be, my heart sank.
PS3D
quote:
Condom Station was a real place, located where Hookah Starion is. It sold condoms. Lasted just a few months

Isn't that where Holick's was for years and years?

quote:
I grew up off of Dowling, and the Country Grocery had great sandwiches and chopped BBQ and hot links. I think it changed hands in early 2000's. I remember coming home one day after to visit and swinging in for a sandwich and seeing a huge cigarette display where the kitchen window used to be, my heart sank.

Wow, I remember Country Grocery. I mentioned in my blog about it "Anyway, my earliest memories involve a Shell station, with the older logo (golden shell surrounded with red) and a gray building, with, in capital letters, COUNTRY GROCERY. Between Country and Grocery, there was a circle, but covered up with a withered ad for pet food (I never found out what the circle originally said)."

I think it became Barker's Country Store in 2002 or 2003, then "Jake's Food Mart" a few years after that.

My real memory comes from Rolling Ridge Grocery & BBQ, a little place WAY out on North Graham in the middle of nowhere (at least it was in the 1990s, still seems that way today) that had the greatest BBQ ribs ever (Shell). I think it became a Summit after Shell went through an updating process circa 2005. I don't think it serves barbecue anymore, though.

Also, maybe my memory's bad, but wasn't the plant nursery at North Graham and Old Wellborn a barbecue place as well?

PS3D
Bill - referring to the Deluxe Diner, perhaps?
acp46
Frank's Bar and Grill...where Fox and Hound is now.
Al Bula
AG
Holy crap, I moved to CS in 1999 as a freshman and remember some of these establishments still being around.

Can't wait for the "College Station in the 2000s" thread in another 10 years.

acp46
The Texan...back in the day, the only "fancy" restaurant in town. Its ghost survives as the Silver Lining Salad at Varitas.
Diamond Geezer
I loved the Northgate Cafe lunch specials with sandwich and chips and drink and that huge chocolate chip cookie.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.