College Station in the 1990s

151,046 Views | 581 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Anubus
1208HawkTree
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Greensworld. We used to play "carry the cooler." Lose the hole, carry the cooler.
Tailgate88
AG
quote:
quote:
Apparently it was a VW/Porsche dealer at one point in history but I always remember it being El Chico, going back to the early 90s.

Bud Ward Volkswagen. After they closed the dealership, the building was a bar for a short while before they tore it down to build El Chico.

That bar was "Charlie's Under the Water Tower" and I spent way too much time and money there. Great place and great memories.
RDH80
AG
The Fajita Rita location was Rebels in early 80's
bkdag
S
http://m.theeagle.com/news/local/college-station-kroger-shutting-down-after-years-of-low-profits/article_db3adc9a-18eb-5151-8be5-5b833ab7ffab.html?mode=jqm

Kroger on Sw Parkway and TX Ave closing.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
Anyone miss Condom Station?

I have two kids, so I guess I did miss it.
AW96
AG
I've enjoyed reading this thread. It takes me back. I haven't spent much time in CS in recent years, but these are places I remember that I didn't see mentioned. If I repeat, I apologize.

Dance club on Wellborn in shopping center with the sperm bank. Name escapes me right now.

Denim -n- Diamonds in Bryan was our go to place for country dancing then. We also went to Harry's some.

Side pockets pool hall on university near Texas.

Some other non- country dance clubs I remember- some place in Bryan open really late I was dragged to once. A place behind the Wendy's on SW parkway that was an old theater, I believe. Lastly, the previously mentioned Sundance at the Hilton.

The man with the giant cross that stood up on his car. I think the car was blue and it had writing on it. He was always preaching wherever he stopped if I remember correctly.

You guys covered most of the off campus restaurants I thought of/ frequented. On campus, Bernie's (by Sbisa) and Lil' Bernie's (in the Commons) by Lagniappe (I think that was the name) were favorite late night places. My now spouse worked at Faculty Club in Rudder Tower .
Bonfired
AG
I moved to B/CS in 1992 (Bryan from '92-'94, CS from '94-'97)...lived at the Academic Village complex in Bryan, which was walking distance from Chicken Oil and a BBQ place in the same area whose name escapes me.

Played a lot of pool at the Cue in '93-'94...you could get your own mug and personalize it with a Marks-A-Lot. Watched the Rockets win Game 7 against the Knicks there in '94.

Lived at the 4-plex on Church Street that was next to Rosalie's and across the street from Cafe Eccell for 3 years. Downstairs was some sort of office, I'm guessing for one of the restaurants.

There was a spot on University, sort of toward the 6 bypass, that was seemingly jinxed. It was Armando's Grill for a while, T-Bone Jones for a while...don't know if anything stuck there or not.

Wasn't there a billiards place called Alfred T. Hornbacks or some such? On Texas between University and George Bush.

Stafford Opera House...saw Trout Fishing In America there a handful of times.

One of my first jobs when I moved to B/CS was at the New Southwest Baking Co. way out on 2818, pretty much at the north intersection of 2818 and 6 bypass...loaded McDonald's 18-wheelers with stacks of buns. A stack of McMuffin buns that was about 8 feet tall was pretty heavy.

Good times.
AggiePhil
AG
quote:
I moved to B/CS in 1992 (Bryan from '92-'94, CS from '94-'97)...lived at the Academic Village complex in Bryan, which was walking distance from Chicken Oil and a BBQ place in the same area whose name escapes me.
Tom's BBQ

quote:
There was a spot on University, sort of toward the 6 bypass, that was seemingly jinxed. It was Armando's Grill for a while, T-Bone Jones for a while...don't know if anything stuck there or not.
Yes and no. Been several things since T-Bone Jones. Currently Paolo's Italian Kitchen. I hear it's good.

quote:
Wasn't there a billiards place called Alfred T. Hornbacks or some such? On Texas between University and George Bush.
Yep, on Eastgate. Closed around 2005 (damn shame) and is now the Dixie Chicken business office.

quote:
One of my first jobs when I moved to B/CS was at the New Southwest Baking Co. way out on 2818, pretty much at the north intersection of 2818 and 6 bypass...loaded McDonald's 18-wheelers with stacks of buns. A stack of McMuffin buns that was about 8 feet tall was pretty heavy.
Yep, they're still at it!
Kitten With A Whip
quote:
I've enjoyed reading this thread. It takes me back. I haven't spent much time in CS in recent years, but these are places I remember that I didn't see mentioned. If I repeat, I apologize.

Dance club on Wellborn in shopping center with the sperm bank. Name escapes me right now.

Denim -n- Diamonds in Bryan was our go to place for country dancing then. We also went to Harry's some.

Some other non- country dance clubs I remember- some place in Bryan open really late I was dragged to once. A place behind the Wendy's on SW parkway that was an old theater, I believe. Lastly, the previously mentioned Sundance at the Hilton.

The man with the giant cross that stood up on his car. I think the car was blue and it had writing on it. He was always preaching wherever he stopped if I remember correctly.

You guys covered most of the off campus restaurants I thought of/ frequented. On campus, Bernie's (by Sbisa) and Lil' Bernie's (in the Commons) by Lagniappe (I think that was the name) were favorite late night places. My now spouse worked at Faculty Club in Rudder Tower .

The dance club on Welborn was Xtreme. It was located in the Westgate Shopping Center.

The dance club behind Wendy's did start out as a movie theater which was later turned into sort of a light hip/hop mix dance club called The Globe.

I remember the guy with the blue and white car with the cross. He pulled around a little trailer, which, as I understood, he slept in. He worked various places, but moved around town a bit. Seemed like a good guy, though maybe a little mentally ill. He was really nice and always helpful to people. His name escapes me, but I'm sure someone will remember if they see this. He was pretty well known.

Counterpoint
AG
quote:
quote:

The dance club on Welborn was Xtreme. It was located in the Westgate Shopping Center.

The dance club behind Wendy's did start out as a movie theater which was later turned into sort of a light hip/hop mix dance club called The Globe.

I remember the guy with the blue and white car with the cross. He pulled around a little trailer, which, as I understood, he slept in. He worked various places, but moved around town a bit. Seemed like a good guy, though maybe a little mentally ill. He was really nice and always helpful to people. His name escapes me, but I'm sure someone will remember if they see this. He was pretty well known.

Elijah?
Rexter
Francis Euel Savage, iirc. '76 or so
Kitten With A Whip
quote:
Elijah?
That's him. Good memory you have there!
Frio Cielo
Doc Savage still is around at times, shows up unexpectedly for a few weeks and disappears. He was collecting small amounts of money to send to a children's home in Isreal.

He was here a couple of weeks ago. When he is here in town, you will see him a lot at Barnes and Noble Bookstore.

He lived for a few years in a friends garage over on Dominik and worked at Whataburger on Dominik for a number of years. He basically cleaned the driveway and helped unload the trucks. He also marketed a lot of $1 off coupons for Potato Shack where I guess he got a little bit of the $1 back if customers used them.

He got into a minimum energy frame of mind and bought an old bike that ran off of a small motor on the back wheel.

A few years ago he bought a few acres out around Pecos and moved a shipping container out there and was living there totally energy independent. He also built a solar oven and water system thet collected a little condensation nightly.

Probably a lot more than you wanted to know.

Oogway
I cannot speak for others, and I don't want to pry where it isn't wanted, but I enjoy hearing people's stories and getting to know folks in our community. We have a lot of nice and interesting people here. We all have quirks and differences and likes and dislikes but when we sit down to break bread together we often find our commonalities ( well, apparently there is the Great Cold Beer Disagreement but we don't dwell on that) and even more often we find that even the most mundane appearing people may have experienced more than you can ever imagine. Thanks for the update.
bkdag
S
quote:
I cannot speak for others, and I don't want to pry where it isn't wanted, but I enjoy hearing people's stories and getting to know folks in our community. We have a lot of nice and interesting people here. We all have quirks and differences and likes and dislikes but when we sit down to break bread together we often find our commonalities ( well, apparently there is the Great Cold Beer Disagreement but we don't dwell on that) and even more often we find that even the most mundane appearing people may have experienced more than you can ever imagine. Thanks for the update.
nos7610
quote:
quote:

What use to be "The Globe" is now a church. Kind of funny if you think about it.
Tailgate88
AG
quote:

Stafford Opera House...saw Trout Fishing In America there a handful of times.

The place on University is now Paolo's, an Italian joint owned by Chef Tai of food truck and Veritas fame.

Stafford is still there with live music. Now called Grand Stafford Theatre I think.
kellystiles
I loved reading this old thread! I grew up in College Station 87-2004 here's some of the random spots I remember.

- I went to a pre-school next to the wendy's on sw pkwy, it was space themed, something planet?
- Spent a lot of time at Adamson Lagoon pool & shipley's on sw pkwy across from where kroger was? Or was it Winn-dixie? There was a video store attached I think.. called Fox?
- Ate at Swensons a lot, and Bennigans next to it. There was a film developing place near there in a tiny drive-thru building in the middle of the parking lot. Was Weiner's around there too?
- Putt Putt was my jam, batting cages & bumper boats.
- Wolf pen skating rink in 5-6th grade
- Post Oak mall - time out arcade, gadzooks, sam goodie, walden books, chick-fil-a, the tropical smoothie place.
- Gattiland in Bryan
- Hastings near the HEB. Sew-Vac city, sold sewing machines & vaccum cleaners.
- There was a vintage store on Northgate on the second floor of a building. Another in the little strip near that metal sculpture on Texas ave called Left Hand Monkey.
- There was a fine-art store/gallery in front of best buy, that building is gone. My friend's band would play on a little outdoor stage there.
- Digeridoo in Bryan

I'll add to it if I remember more

12MN97
AG
This thread is super old but literally think about the little Asian place in Northgate called Nipa Hot. It was to go only but still dream of the Chicken Ginger dish. I don't think it was a Thai place.

Miss Tom's BBQ, Garcia's, Swenson's, Souper Salad, Brazos Blue Ribbon Bakery, the Grapevine (twice baked potato and chef salad). Can't remember the name of the 2 story place on Northgate with neon signs, cheese fries at the Kettle on University, Double Dave's.
EBrazosAg
AG
A revival of the Grapevine would be my vote over and over again ... voting like I'm in the RGV and LBJ is on the ballot !!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bullpen Chias
AG
Help me out. I thought Wings N Things (later Wings N More) was in the current Torchy's location early to mid 90s.
91_Aggie
AG
Bullpen Chias said:

Help me out. I thought Wings N Things (later Wings N More) was in the current Torchy's location early to mid 90s.
No, it was where Raising Cane's is

Where Torchy's is the place where Restaurants went to die for the longest time.

It was mexican restaurant, then some hamburger place that liked to put lots of a pepper on the burgers, then the ill-fated, badly planned chicken finger place (right between Laynes and Raising canes).
maybe a chinese restaurant at some point, and a couple others

Wings n more turned into Kerry's Stacked Enchiladas for a short time before it was torn down and turned into Raising Canes'
MiMi
S
Quote:

It was mexican restaurant, then some hamburger place that liked to put lots of a pepper on the burgers, then the ill-fated, badly planned chicken finger place (right between Laynes and Raising canes).

Definitely a Chinese restaurant in the early 90's. At one point, it was Cazadores, one of my go-to Mexican restaurants (early 2000's). Snuffers was also at this location. And it was an Italian restaurant before the chicken finger place moved in.
91_Aggie
AG
MiMi said:

Quote:

Definitely a Chinese restaurant in the early 90's. At one point, it was Cazadores, one of my go-to Mexican restaurants (early 2000's). Snuffers was also at this location. And it was an Italian restaurant before the chicken finger place moved in.
Snuffer's was the "let;s just put lots of pepper on your burger" place
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
MiMi said:

I miss the El Chico at Texas and Holleman. I think it was a bar before El Chico was built.

It was Bud Ward Volkswagon before El Chico. (Might have been before the 1990's)
Prune Tracy
91_Aggie
AG
Prune Tracy said:

Joe Schillaci 48 said:

MiMi said:

I miss the El Chico at Texas and Holleman. I think it was a bar before El Chico was built.

It was Bud Ward Volkswagon before El Chico. (Might have been before the 1990's)

.99 margaritas were a blessing and a curse
When I was a freshman in 1987 that location was a Porsche dealership.
Then maybe some other car sales lot (Bud Ward).
Then it was a big sports bar that went out of business quickly.
then that whole building torn down to make El Chico
Then that whole Building torn down to make a bank thats' been several different banks so far.

and accross Holleman was where Olive Garden used to be before all the restaurants started getting built on University to become new "Restaurant row" so it coincidentally burned down and someone collected lots of insurance money so they could rebuild nearer all the other restaurants.
Prune Tracy
91_Aggie
AG
I just remember thinking in 1987 "Why the hell is there a Porsche dealership in this podunk town" ?
EBrazosAg
AG
When was Snuffers? I must have missed that during my 8 yr hiatus. Was Mommas Pizza where Torchys is or where Canes is ? Snuffers in Dallas was a great place. Had some great times there in HS there after a concert..... now some sketchy sports bar I hear.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
91_Aggie
AG
I only remember Mamas pizza on north end of culpepper plaza where Bullwinkles eventually was.
EBrazosAg
AG
I am almost positive Mommas or some pizza shop was over at the Torchys or Canes spot in the mid to late 80s
bcstx06
91_Aggie said:

I just remember thinking in 1987 "Why the hell is there a Porsche dealership in this podunk town" ?

I'm to young to remember the Porsche Dealership, but I remember hearing something about the oil boom at the time bringing lost of wealth to many locals.
techno-ag
AG
bcstx06 said:

91_Aggie said:

I'm to young to remember the Porsche Dealership, but I remember hearing something about the oil boom at the time bringing lost of wealth to many locals.
Yup. There was a Rolls Royce dealership in Midland for a while. Rumor was they only sold two or so a year, but it was enough to keep them in business, until the bust.
johnnyblaze36
AG
EBrazosAg said:

When was Snuffers? I must have missed that during my 8 yr hiatus. Was Mommas Pizza where Torchys is or where Canes is ? Snuffers in Dallas was a great place. Had some great times there in HS there after a concert..... now some sketchy sports bar I hear.
Snuffers in multiple Dallas locations is still great but I never knew there was one here either and I went to school from 1996-2002 and have been back since 2013.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.