College Station in the 1990s

151,026 Views | 581 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Anubus
Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I remember the long John silver selling drugs in the drive thru.
I think it was reported if you ordered "extra bisquet with extra gravy" or something to that tune.

Also not sure if mentioned in thread but
Red Lion Hamburgers and Partners Food delivery.
Manor East Mall
The Real Aggie Alley at Olsen Field.
Sneakers
Garcias
travelingwilbury
God, we're old!!!
capn-mac
Fishman's lease space is (was in April) still there, behind the former 7-Eleven on the corner of Finfeather and VM. It was some sort of poise/balance school, if memory serves.

I remember when they took the International Shoe/Rubber spur tracks off of Finfeather. They had decommissioned the actual switch on the mainline. It was part of the MoPac-UPac-SPR business operations deal, if memory serves.

That was back during the first iteration of The Boat.
Which reminds me of when there was a pizza joint there across the street (which is now Shapers, I think).
1984Consol
Deluxe burger bar and their 50's motif. I put quite a few quarters in the jukebox...
Newbomb_Turk
quote:
Which reminds me of when there was a pizza joint there across the street

Pizza Planet!
PS3D
Behind the Citgo gas station (which was an E-Z Mart to my memory, I believe now it's "E-Z For You" and an Exxon) is now one "Omar's Upholstery".

The tracks on Finfeather were still intact in 2002 or 2003.

eloc62
here's a couple more:
Randy Sims bbq
Mr. Gattis pizza @ University and South College in that weird building with all the booths.
Pancho's Mexican buffet in Culpepper Plaza where you raised your flag when you wanted more. my kids used to love that place.
rsmithtamu
We had an Amtrak terminal?
techno-ag
AG
quote:
We had an Amtrak terminal?

Yup. For a while we had a station in College Station again.
rsmithtamu
When did the Amtrak terminal go away? And Why? I have always wondered if a rail would be useful around here.
techno-ag
AG
Left in 1995.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Bryan-College_Station#b

Nom de Plume
AG
Epicenter
PS3D
quote:
Pancho's Mexican buffet in Culpepper Plaza where you raised your flag when you wanted more. my kids used to love that place.

Pancho's traumatized me and my sister, both for different reasons, though.
victory
AG
The Amtrack was great... We took it to the cotton bowl in 1992 and 1993.
threecatcorner
They changed the Amtrak schedule to something useless (think they turned it into only Tuesday and Thursday), and big f*ing surprise, no one takes the train out of town on those days. If they wanted to switch to I ky twice a week, they could have done Friday or Saturday and Sunday or Monday so you could still take it to Dallas for the weekend and only have to maybe take 1 day off from work or school. They switched it to the worthless schedule to give an excuse to get rid of it. I heard that was because precedence was being given to the freight trains; can't have a passenger train because we've got to use those rails for freight; can't just make them schedule around Amtrak.

This ticks me off.

Second semester of my freshman year, I intentionally set my schedule so that I was out of class early enough on Friday that I could take the train home some weekends. If I remember correctly, I think the train left around 11 a.m. and got back maybe at 7 p.m. (not sure exactly when it got back; it was evening but not real late, and I would come back Sunday).
threecatcorner
How does the iPod "correct" my writing so it makes no sense? I read back through my post and saw "If they wanted to switch to I ky twice a week". That was supposed to say "If they wanted to switch to only twice a week".
PS3D
It's probably for the Houston freight reasons why Amtrak doesn't go to Houston, as they have tons of spurs along the 290 corridor, but College Station doesn't have any spurs to speak of. IIRC, there's the only one at the University (which isn't used anymore, but still connected), a handful in Bryan, and others (there are probably more between here and Corsicana, the next stop).

The platform is still there (though the structure torn down and a mural moved to A&M Consolidated High School). It's across from Grove Street, and accessed via Luther Street. Speaking of which, I remember when Luther Street went to the railroad (but not when it crossed the railroad).

The McDonald's at George Bush and Luther used to have a mansard roof, except it was maroon and white.

Winn-Dixie where Lack's was, that's another memory! (it closed maybe circa 1997)
1984Consol
I think I still have my Winn-Dixie nametag

[This message has been edited by 1984Consol (edited 5/12/2012 2:38p).]
StringerBell
AG
old country buffet in the krogers shopping center on texas/sw pkwy
1984Consol
I cannot beleive all of the awesome things they have done to Northgate. The alley that goes behind Fitzwillys wasnt anywhere near as nice and wide as it is now. I dont remember even having those entry structures, and Traditions was not even a thought.Northgate seems to have really widened quite a bit- seems to me it was only a block wide but a few blocks long stretching down University. Those entry structures look kinda nice.
DoubleTap45
quote:
I dont remember even having those entry structures, and Traditions was not even a thought.Northgate seems to have really widened quite a bit- seems to me it was only a block wide but a few blocks long stretching down University.

That's a result of the city's ongoing inferiority complex about Austin. They want SO desperately to have their own version of 6th Street here. They've done all they can to create a specific little bar-nightclub area to that end. Changed drinking hours, brightened up Church Street, chopped off Patricia and built the "promenade", added sanitary parking lots and garages, and now they block off vehicle traffic every weekend evening so the drinkers have free reign of College Main.

(Remember "North by Northgate" - their failed attempt to compete with Austin's South By Southwest festival?)

None of these are bad ideas in themselves, but CS is trying to do all this right by one of the major thoroughfares through town. Unlike 6th Street, where traffic can easily be routed to other streets a block or two over, Northgate is adjacent to Highway 60 and is too close to a lot of vehicular traffic. Cars + drunks = lots of problems. The city's anti-jaywalking approach was shouted down by the drinking / stumbling contingent. Now they're going to have to put in that new traffic light at Boyett. Maybe one day the city can achieve its dream by building a raised overpass so no cars at all will inconvenience the bar-hoppers.
capn-mac
DoubleTap speaks much truth above.

CoCS has always wanted many things--a downtown, a sixth street, to be hip, cool, "weird" even; just while being "normal" too. Pretty much wanting to eat the cake and still have cake, too.

If a bod points out that you can't make a cake of any appreciable size with only corner slices, a great deal of imprecation and brickbats get flung at you [insert scar comparison scene from Jaws].

None of the above is much helped by the appearance (and appearances are often deceiving) of wanting "do as i say and not as I do"--of wanting HOT & bar revenues, but NIMBY. Of creating rules and regulations--for others--and then moving ever southward to escape those same rules and regulations.

The '90s were a very unique time; it would have been interesting if we had myBSC as it presently exists during that time.
PS3D
I got the impression that the Northgate "improvements" created a lot of rent hikes and drove out establishments (Nipa Hot, Holick's, Texadelphia). Patricia Street looks like it was already closed in the mid-1990s, though (as seen on Google Earth).
WC
409 area code and Houston Cellular was the cell phone company.
AggiePhil
AG
Maybe y'all can identify when this photo was taken from atop the Hilton. I know it was sometime between 1984 and 1996. You can see Chimney Hill, University Tower, the Golden Corral shopping center (with no Golden Corral), and a huge water tank where the new fire station is being built.

I-Haul
AG
Toms Barbeque at 2001 Texas Avenue. WHOOP.
1984Consol
I've got a really funny story regarding that big ole water tank in your picture. In 1990, my dad and I worked for the census bureau office in Bryan as enumerators. My dad got the neighborhood that included that water tank. The census bureau had the address for the water tank, and insisted that people lived there so they wanted him to go and have the "residents" of the water tank fill out the long census form. My dad went to the address, realized it was a water tank and marked that it was not a residence and noone lived there. They didnt beleive him and SENT HIM BACK TO THE WATER TANK TO GET THE FORM COMPLETED!! I think my dad said they made him do this twice and then they sent someone from management down there to confirm that yes it was indeed a water tank and noone lived there) Thats the government for ya! LOL
tripperwill
AG
I haven't seen the Bagel Station in Culpepper Plaza mentioned.
Some of the places I miss most: Braz Blue Ribbon (original location near vet off 2818), Bullwinkles (10ยข wing night!!!!) Grandys, & Mazzio's.
Kitten With A Whip
quote:
Maybe y'all can identify when this photo was taken from atop the Hilton. I know it was sometime between 1984 and 1996. You can see Chimney Hill, University Tower, the Golden Corral shopping center (with no Golden Corral), and a huge water tank where the new fire station is being built.

Phil - I cannot give you a date, but I can narrow the timeframe for you a bit. The week before Christmas 1990 has some significance for my family and we had dinner there Christmas eve, so it was built at some time before that.

My best guess is that GC was built in 88, 89 or early-mid 1990, but it was definitely built before Christmas 1990.

Whats going on in the pic you posted? Maybe that will spark a memory for someone.
PS3D
Yeah, that's an old shot. Golden Corral was there in the 1990s, and the water tank was torn down sometime in the late 1990s.
AggiePhil
AG
It's Franz Krager conducting the BVSO from atop the Hilton. Looks like the Albertson's hadn't been built yet. Or was it a Randall's first?

[This message has been edited by AggiePhil (edited 5/14/2012 9:46a).]
AgFan1999
AG
Almost positive it was a Randall's first.
MiMi
S
Definitely Randall's first. It opened in 1992-ish.
victory
AG
chimney Hill Bowling Alley..place later became a sports bar and several nigth clubs.

Havent seen any mention of Swenson's
PS3D
I think a few people did mention it. Back to Country Grocery on Dowling, or Rolling Ridge Grocery & BBQ...do any other people remember these? (I think Rolling Ridge is still there, but it's not a Shell anymore and doesn't serve BBQ anymore)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.