College Station in the 1990s

151,245 Views | 581 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Anubus
xepobnha
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I moved here in 93 remember:

Shulmans Theater
The Bombay Bicycle Club
The Dixie Chicken
The Original Long Horn Steak House
K-Mart
Toms BBQ
Putt-Putt Golf
Garcias
Nortenas
TJ's Lazer Tag
Montgomery Wards
Pet Stop
And the list goes on and on, I miss Shulmans the most it did have its charm.
PS3D
Pet Stop was in Woodstone, wasn't it?
MiMi
S
quote:
Pet Stop was in Woodstone, wasn't it?

Yes, but wasn't it next to Ninfa's and then moved to Woodstone when Blinn's new campus was completed?
TexasRebel
AG
Except the Dixie Chicken is still there.
PS3D
Polly's Cocina is still there, right? Isn't it the only remnant of the once great Mi Cocina?
MiMi
S
Polly's Cocina is still there. I ate there a couple of weeks ago.
AggiePhil
AG
As far as the TCBY's go, there was one on University East near Cenare/Chef Cao's and there was also one inside the Exxon at Hwy 6 and Rock Prairie. There is still a TCBY sign on the side of that building.
PS3D
The old George Bush East, pre-reconstruction. There were some old home pads there at the corner of Texas and George Bush, it was a lot more shady. That's another one.

Also Mt. Aggie on Main Campus.
MiMi
S
All the car dealerships were on Texas Ave in Bryan i the early 90's. I still remember the one car dealer commercial that ended with "on the bend in Bryan."

In the 90's, Easterwood airport did not have security and you got to the plane by walking out to it from the first floor near baggage claim. You went through security when you arrived at either DFW or IAH.
DBSwooper
quote:
In the 90's, Easterwood airport did not have security and you got to the plane by walking out to it from the first floor near baggage claim. You went through security when you arrived at either DFW or IAH.

In the mid/late 90s I flew from DFW to Washington DC with a big Spyderco fully serrated knife in my pocket. The security guard at DFW looked at my knife and said "nice knife" and handed it back to me.

PS3D
IIRC on Easterwood: the top level was a huge viewing area, what is now the big security area I don't remember anything about, the café was closed. Arriving was on the lower level, left side (there was a wall) and departing was a small area with just maybe a metal detector.
AggiePhil
AG
When was the new passenger terminal built? I thought it was all at the old terminal (now civil aviation) throughout most of the 90s. I'm flying into Easterwood in a couple hours actually...
PS3D
The new terminal at Easterwood opened in 1990. The old terminal was remodeled in 1994 for general aviation.
PS3D
How about the large but run down playground in Bee Creek Park? I remember that someone had hot-glued a penny onto the balance beam.
PS3D
It wasn't my imagination that Petal Patch was at Texas and Holleman, was it?
capn-mac
quote:
Egg Roll House closed in the 1990s? I thought it closed way sooner than that. It was abandoned for years for Jimmy John's, and they didn't even tear down the building.

I went in to eat, just to say I had, around '82 or '83. The menu, quer suprise was egg rolls. It was a place that looked the same open or closed. Given the cold shoulder I was given when I went in, my presumption was that the place was a 'social club' meaning mah jong parlour.

Actually, they did raze everything but the east and west walls, and the top plate along the south wall. They put in a steel beam to carry the roof trusses behind the new parapet wall.

quote:
Also: Epicures Catering opened in the mid-1990s, didn't it? I thought it had closed after the building started to fall apart, but it didn't close until a few years ago. Tiremax just removed the awning and built out a bit, but it's the same building.

Actually, they opened as one of the last Luther's BBQ, just before Luther's Corp slipped beneath the waves. The leased equipment was out of the building shortly after the closed sign went up. It then sat vacant for a stretch before Epicures went in. Epicures was also very good at looking the same open or closed. I suspect that they spent a lot of time being only open when they had catering work.

And now, they are gone, and a Tiremax stands in stead.
PS3D
I still know that Tiremax IS the same building, but it's gutted completely with no trace of any food establishment that was there. I think they re-did the parking lot, too, which was a nasty place that was falling apart.

Plus, I'm pretty sure that the Citgo on the corner of College and Villa Maria was a Shell not terribly long ago, probably around 2003.
capn-mac
College & V. Maria?
Color me confused.
To my memory:
To north is Car Wash (and vet clinic next door).
To East, former 7-11 which has sold Marathon, Summit, & Citgo gasoline.
To South is the strip center with Cleaners, Insurance place and Tony's Alterations. (Former Texan, present Discount Tobacco behind.)
To West, impoundment end of Muni Golf Course Lake

Maybe a different intersection?
PS3D
The Citgo, which, if looking at a traditional north-south map is the southeast.

But I think I'm wrong. I SWEAR that Citgo used to have the old Shell style red and yellow signage.

I used to love the old Bee Creek-to-Southwest Parkway walking trail before it was widened into a bike lane. Needless to say, converting Bee Creek Park into a clear-cut drainage ditch was ill-advisable, as well. But that came later.
Rudder410
I tried to read all 12 pages, but never saw a mention of Copacetic Cafe on College Main near current Antonio's. It was owned by the Sweet Eugenes ppl, and I spent hours "studying" there in 1998-99.
94Aggie95
AG
- Save the Bird, Eat a Monster!
- The Flying Tomato
- Mazzio's Pizza
- Aggie baseball from the railroad tracks
- Bonfire on Duncan Field (until 92 I think)
- The original Tom's BBQ in Bryan
94Aggie95
AG
Petal Patch was in the strip center on Harvey across from the sorority houses.
PS3D
Holick's was next to Antonio's. Maybe Antonio's opened AT this Copacetic Café place?
capn-mac
Yes, Copacetic was replaced by Antonio's; and Corner replaced Campus Photo Center.

used to be a jewelry store where Starbucks is now. With Martha Kemp's University Bookstore where Potbellie's is now. And dang but I cannot remember what was there before Domino's.
PS3D
Quizno's, maybe? I heard there was a Quizno's somewhere on Northgate.
DBSwooper
No, Quiznos was on College Main across from Discoround or maybe it was the sushi place by then. It was at the end to the left from Hollicks. It had a short life, opened around 99 and closed around 2002 or so if I remember correctly. Before that side road was redone, I would park my truck there if the parking on the street was full. Of course, that was back when you could park on Northgate with out having to spend any money.
PS3D
So it was V-Bar now Social Lounge, then?

I read that Marooned Records was at the sushi place, not Disc-Go-Round, though. Did they co-exist at the same time?
fcag
AG
Marooned was not where the sushi place is. Marooned was across the street.
Diamond Geezer
Marooned was on the same side of the street as where Antonio's is today. It occupied the last space in that row of stores, furthest from University Dr.
DoubleTap45
Hey, anyone remember (or have any photos of) the old unfinished "Woodbine" bank building on Tarrow? It was empty and abandoned for years in the 80s - 90s until A&M bought the building and finished it.... it's the John Connally building now. It used to have these giant unfinished elevator shafts that went down to the basement and were usually flooded with water. I remember thinking that someone would eventually fall down there and drown back then.
PS3D
So, that would be Marooned --> V-Bar --> Social Lounge?
AggiePhil
AG
That last one was Quizno's before it was V Bar. I think it was Dominos for a bit after it was Quizno's.
Stxagg9502
Wasn't the place called "Big Dogs" or something like that. It was horrible.
Post removed:
by user
ski-man
AG
Cow Hop....loved their Chicken Fried steak sandwiches. I remember they moved for a short time from Northgate to the old Skaggs shopping Center.
Let's go ski-man!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.