College Station in the 1990s

151,009 Views | 581 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Anubus
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
http://csroadsandretail.blogspot.com/2014/01/something-fowl-at-1037-texas-avenue.html

This website is incredible and goes along with this discussion.

Haha, that's the website the OP made. A lot of people accuse the site of being a ripoff of TexAgs, but there's a lot of content there that was never on the Internet before. Others cite inaccuracy, but a lot of information was from phone books or directories.
nos7610
2818 & Wellborn were both 2 lanes and a 4way stop
Poohs Park
Pelicans Warf at SW PKY and TX
Tom's
Blinn was a drive in theater
Manereast Mall
Time Out, Corn dog 7 in the mall
Ricks sporting goods
Apple Tree
Mazzios Pizza
2 Day Video
The arcade that was next to Swensons
Panchos
George bush being Jersey
Old Tiger Field
The old white gym at Oakwood Middle School
when N Dowling crossed Wellborn
Rock Prairie was dead end

australopithecus robustus
That you GregD? Lol
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
Haha, that's the website the OP made.
Aren't you talking about yourself?
nos7610
quote:
That you GregD? Lol
nope sorry
PS3D
quote:
quote:
Haha, that's the website the OP made.
Aren't you talking about yourself?

Shhhhh. I haven't really updated it in a while, and I don't want to attract attention.
Frio Cielo
Nots of good info

Scoopen Skwert
AG
Go back further!!! Pooh's Park or gtfo!!!
thats what I do
AG
Fajita Rita's on Texas Ave.
Kitten With A Whip
quote:
Was the 290 bypass between Hempstead and Cypress even open then? I remember driving to Houston in the 90s and having to go through Hempstead, Waller, and Hockley on 290 (the current "Business 290" route). I thought at least one place in Hempstead was open late (the one on the corner where you turn, near the original Lawrence Marshall) but who knows. I also know some of those gas stations on 6 in Navasota existed back then but I don't remember who was open late.
That sounds about the right time frame. There was a Stop n Go on that corner that was open all night.
Kitten With A Whip
quote:
Piggly Wiggly was out next to KMart, where Goodwill is now. KMart was where Tractor Supply was. The kid that lived across the street, his dad was the manager of Piggly Wiggly.
There was a TG&Y that was going out of business when I moved here in the mid 80's. I remember going to the closeout sale with my Mom, but don't remember exactly where it was. Seems like it was in the Kmart center or maybe the Kroger shopping center. Anyone remember?
nos7610
quote:
Go back further!!! Pooh's Park or gtfo!!!
All day!! Loved that place!
starbuck128
AG
I don't remember one being in the Kmart center, but my memory of the Kroger shopping center is a bit fuzzy before the 90s.

The Kroger shopping center in the 90s had a Subway, Baskin Robbins, Honey B Ham, Pet Paradise, and Amber's craft store.

There was a five and dime in downtown Bryan. It closed sometime in the early/mid 90s. It had an old fashioned soda shop inside.
95_Aggie
AG
The Kroger center also had a place called Michael's that made great jumbo hot dogs and baked potatoes. I know ... a weird combination. I think it was because they both fit in the same size plastic container.
PS3D
quote:
quote:
Piggly Wiggly was out next to KMart, where Goodwill is now. KMart was where Tractor Supply was. The kid that lived across the street, his dad was the manager of Piggly Wiggly.
There was a TG&Y that was going out of business when I moved here in the mid 80's. I remember going to the closeout sale with my Mom, but don't remember exactly where it was. Seems like it was in the Kmart center or maybe the Kroger shopping center. Anyone remember?
The site does have that covered, complete with an ad. I probably spent too much of my life on that site...

http://csroadsandretail.blogspot.com/2011/02/parkway-square-kroger-and-vicinity.html
motherrunnersBCS
I still miss The Texan, especially the silver lining salad. The one at Veritas is not quite the same. Might be the brand of fish sauce.

Mom Class of '03,'05 and '09
S
When I started dating my husband the College Station Cemetery was in the country!
Picadillo
OK, so what we're you and your husband doing in the cemetery way back then.

I remember that also; just funnin' ya.
JSKolache
AG
Crackhead Pam
Pole Guy
Living in *both* CS ghettos (Oney Hervey & then Sterling Dr)
Panchos becoming Los Cucos
Folding laundry at Washbangers as everyone was smoking at the bar 10 ft away
Lighting cigars and marshmallows on a bonfire just as soon as you could get close enough - 2am or so
House parties in Bryan cuz the cops gave warnings first
$2 "craft" brews at Fox N Hound waaaaay before microbrews became a thing
Scotch
AG
There were micro-brewery businesses in Downtown Bryan and on Dominik in C.S. that were probably closed before Fox & Hound had that special. They were truly ahead of their time.
CN
Comedy night on Wednesdays at Sundance in the Hilton and getting drunk on Pile Drivers.
nos7610
penny pitchers at the Hall
dylan
The Texan by the bowling alley was the gourmet place in town. Original Caesar's Salad made at your table.
lexie06
Hobby Lobby was on Harvey Rd in the Toys R Us Center.
Michael's craft store was in the Kroger center on SW Pkwy.
The Dillard's men store was Service Merchandise and the mall ended there (that's probably more 80's).
Winn-Dixie was at Carter Creek and 29th, where the Work Force Commission is now.

Slicer97
AG
I really miss Swenson's, Thai Taste, and Mazzio's. I don't even remember if the pizza at Mazzio's was any good. When you're 15, hot and plentiful is what matters and they had that in spades.
Slicer97
AG
quote:
The Dillard's men store was Service Merchandise and the mall ended there (that's probably more 80's).

That place was awesome.
MiMi
S
quote:
Was Service Merchandise through the mid-90's at least. My wedding was in 1995 and my wedding registry was there.
LastHamlet
AG
Jewel T in the shopping center next to the old Luby's

Western Sizlin on Texas Ave. I think it's a buffet place now.
malibu9in1
quote:
Jewel T in the shopping center next to the old Luby's

Western Sizlin on Texas Ave. I think it's a buffet place now.

Y'all remember food 4 Less?? My folks fell on hard times and we had to shop at both places. That was some generic azz stuff!! Plain white boxes said "corn puffs" hahaha
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:
I still miss The Texan, especially the silver lining salad. The one at Veritas is not quite the same. Might be the brand of fish sauce.

The Silver Lining salad was the best salad I've ever had. One of those taste memories that I'll never forget. The Texan was possibly the best unique eateries I've ever experienced , and I've eaten all over the world.
We were lucky to have had it hear.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Yesterdays lunch special.

Hour of pool..sandwich chips drink for like $5.

Their roast beef and cheese sandwich was huge and awesome.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
One thing that'll always stick out to me was Garcias and its mysterious closing. Place was packed every night...great food and BAM....closed one day and nobody really knew why.
techno-ag
AG
Youngblood's.
The old Ken Martin's.
Ft. Shiloh Grill.
Sambo's.
Fleen
Ha, roommate and some friends worked at 2 Day Video... Summer of 95?
UmustBKidding
My mom grew up in the depression and was always cheap when it came to shopping. She once bought me generic spam from food 4 less. Talk about disgusting, that was it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.