College Station in the 1990s

151,212 Views | 581 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Anubus
1984Consol
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I remember once you passed the hilton and the inn at Chimney Hill, there was nothing on the left hand side of the street. Its amazing how much is there now. Same with the old red Lobster building- there was nothing else in that parking lot.
victory
AG
Yes Rolling Ridge is still there but no they dont sell BBQ anymore.
acp46
I forgot about Rolling Ridge. That was some very good bbq.
DBSwooper
I remember turning onto University from the bypass in the late 90s, passing the NEW Exxon on the corner and seeing a lot of trees and fields, with a couple of pumping rigs. Then one day a sign went up next to one of the oil field roads that showed a planned development. I thought "why would someone want to build there; it isn't near campus at all."

Silly me, Home Depot and the start of resturant row proved me wrong. Then they expanded University from 4 lane to 6 lane, then traffic got so bad they had to lower the speed limit.
1984Consol
I cannot believe how they have upgraded the Wellborn Road/2818 intersection BIGTIME!! I was following the route to our former house on Durango Court and I couldnt beleive my eyes when I got to 2818/Wellborn Road. In satellite view, there is an awesome interchange with 2818 going over Wellborn Road. In street view, I still see a measly little intersection that I remember was just a 4 way flashing red light when we lived there. I assume this interchange has happened within the last 2 years since its not in street view just satellite?

[This message has been edited by 1984Consol (edited 5/14/2012 8:19p).]
bco2003
AG
quote:
I cannot believe how they have upgraded the Wellborn Road/2818 intersection BIGTIME!! I was following the route to our former house on Durango Court and I couldnt beleive my eyes when I got to 2818/Wellborn Road. In satellite view, there is an awesome interchange with 2818 going over Wellborn Road. In street view, I still see a measly little intersection that I remember was just a 4 way flashing red light when we lived there. I assume this interchange has happened within the last 2 years since its not in street view just satellite?

It's been a while since I've lived in CS, but isn't 2818 parallel to Wellborn Rd, & no intersection/interchange between the two?

[This message has been edited by bco2003 (edited 5/14/2012 8:26p).]
MiMi
S
quote:
It's been a while since I've lived in CS, but isn't 2818 parallel to Wellborn Rd, & no intersection/interchange between the two?

They have intersected for as long as I have lived here. When moved here in 1990, it was a 4-way stop. I'm not sure if the flashing red was there already or if it came later. Anyone remember when the traffic lights were put in?
PS3D
IIRC the stoplight came in about 1998 (don't quote me on that). It was one of the "black" stoplights. Before that...flashing lights, at least since FM 2818 became four lane (before 1991 and before my time)

The Google Street View in that area is from 2007, before construction started. The temporary roads started to be constructed circa 2009 and traffic shifted that summer. The overpass opened in early 2011.

[This message has been edited by PS3D (edited 5/14/2012 8:59p).]
PS3D
Here's another memory I have, albeit in Bryan (which does count--don't be afraid!)

The Bryan Business Park on 2818 had the "railroad spur to nowhere". It was like an abandoned railroad (my favorite) just coming out and ending near the road. It was awesome. Nothing else...just a railroad spur.
AgTrip
Who remembers Rita's Eatery and Cantina? It was where Fuddruckers is, came after JJ Muggs and was right before Garcias. They were like chilis before chilis got here. Met my wife there..haha
bco2003
AG
quote:
They have intersected for as long as I have lived here. When moved here in 1990, it was a 4-way stop. I'm not sure if the flashing red was there already or if it came later. Anyone remember when the traffic lights were put in?

Ahh sorry, was thinking about close to campus...forgot that 2818 looped around.
texsn95
AG
My first email address ever....@unix.tamu.edu
1984Consol
...and we always called it 2818. To me it will always be 2818. Harvey Mitchell Parkway is foreign to me...

Kinda like George Bush drive. Yes the name did change while we lived there but to me it will always be Jersey...

[This message has been edited by 1984Consol (edited 5/16/2012 12:58p).]
PS3D
In the early 1990s, there were no real stoplights on Holleman at all except on Texas Avenue and Wellborn.

Who remembers that blinking light hanging over Glade and Holleman, though? I do. Good times.
PS3D
Who remembers the peacocks at Central Park? They were taken away after some idiot child got attacked by trying to mess with them and a lawsuit was threatened. Same reason why they took out the diving board at Adamson Lagoon.
1984Consol
I remember that blinking light at Glade and Holleman. i also remember two stoplights just ONE BLOCK APART on SW Parkway. Why the heck did they do that anyway? It really caused problems at those intersections with traffic backups.

[This message has been edited by 1984Consol (edited 5/17/2012 3:39p).]
PS3D
I remember going to Kroger (back before it renovated...oh awesome days, but I can't find pictures, all I can find is a blogpost about it which I wrote, and a floorplan of what the stores looked like in those days). Plus it was even larger than it is today thanks to the video store attached to it (though its integration was...lacking)

And we went through those stoplights, usually going from South Knoll to Kroger, and I don't remember huge backups. I do remember when North Bardell Court was an empty lot, though (with a brick wall around it)
superunknown
AG
nxng wasn't ever meant to compete with sxsw, it was just something new attempted (horrifying, I know) and was held close to sxsw since it'd be easier to book bands that were already going to/coming from Austin for sxsw, which made it silly for the festival to move to August..imo
1984Consol
The video store attatched to the SWPKWY Kroger, didnt that used to be either a TG and Y or maybe a Chuck E Cheese?
Kitten With A Whip
I think TG&Y was on the end of that strip, closest to Brentwood, but still facing Texas. I can't recall what was in that location before it became Kroger Family Center Video.

Where was Piggly Wiggly? I remember going there with my Mom, but not sure where it was.
AggiePhil
AG
I've been told Piggly Wiggly is where Lack's used to be.

Anyone remember TCBY on University Dr East near Cenare?
1984Consol
I was told that Piggly Wiggly and Kmart were both in an empty strip center (if you wanna call it that it was just big enough for the two businesses) off 2818, where Burton creek Pub was. It was empty the whole time we lived in CS I think. My bus stop when i went to the Blinn Brenham campus was there. I had to be at the bus stop at like 6:30 in the morning ewww
Vox Humana
Winn Dixie was where Lacks is.

Gibsons was where Pier 1 is now.
PS3D
- Lack's was Winn-Dixie. This I remember. I want to say it left around 1997.
- According to my sources, Family Video Center (now College Depot) was Chuck E. Cheese. The big TG&Y was on the corner.
- I did research on the Kmart center. The grocery store was Piggly Wiggly, exited circa 1993, a year before Kmart took off. In the 1970s it was a Kmart Foods (a grocery store attached to Kmart, but not very well integrated like the Super Kmarts of later)
- Yeah, Gibson's was on the end of the old Redmond Terrace Shopping Center. The garden center was where Jason's Deli is today IIRC.

[This message has been edited by PS3D (edited 5/18/2012 3:20p).]
1984Consol
yes Winn Dixie was on SW Parkway at the intersection of Texas avenue. I worked as a bagboy there. There was a Schlotskys next door, a Little Ceasars Pizza on the SW parkway side of the strip center, and "The Edge" nightclub and the CS library in the other side of the strip center. I think there was a church next to the library...

[This message has been edited by 1984Consol (edited 5/18/2012 3:22p).]
Vox Humana
Fish Richard's on Wellborn.

Great prime rib.
techno-ag
AG
At one time, IIRC, there was a Piggly Wiggly in Bryan at Texas & North Ave. Seems there was a Gibsons near there too for a while.
crob
I remember Arnold Rd used to be a gravel road, CS Junior High an actual Junior High with grades 7-8, Oakwood just 5th graders, Jack & Dorothy Park just being a park behind the school. Rock Prairie dead ending at Victoria. Houses being built in Brandon Heights.
Kitten With A Whip
There was also a post office in Redmond Terrace, right on the end next to what is now George Bush Dr.
ShipWreckGrill
HW President which obviously later brings the library

George Bush Drive was Jersey Street

The Texan was the most expensive restaurant in B/CS

Oxford Street was a busy restaurant

I was GM of Bennigan’s from 1992-1995….it was crazy busy

The Dirty Sock was WAY the heck out there
PS3D
Oakwood was just 5th graders, with Willow Branch Intermediate School being just 6th graders. And Willow Branch had that domed auditorium, too!
Aggie
AG
Willowbranch intermediate school is where the old junior high and original HS once was.
There was a football stadium and baseball field there as well.
A&M consolidated played their football games there before moving them to Kyle Field in the mid 80's. The current consol football and baseball field were completed in 1989.
And yes the piggly wiggley was connected to Kmart in what is now tractor supply on corner of longmire and 2818.
PS3D
Oxford Street was once a Steak & Ale (owned by Bennigan's), but that was probably before the 1990s.

Oh, there was also Martha Bloomer's around in the "endless void" around the "Dirty Sock", before it packed up and moved out to Navasota.
PS3D
There was also this ancient-looking closed Shell station at Briarcrest and Villa Maria...anyone remember that?

[This message has been edited by PS3D (edited 5/19/2012 2:46p).]
Scotch
AG
Gas station was a Broach's Shell.

If I remember right, Oakwood used to be 6th, 7th and 8th, the elementary schools in CS were K-5.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.