College Station in the 1990s

150,893 Views | 581 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Anubus
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SSM probably Simple Syrup Mix... it's essnetially sugar water.
halibut sinclair
maroon barchetta said:

halibut sinclair said:

RIP La Taqueria

Used to eat there with friends every Sunday night.

Went there many, many times with my then fiance - now wife.
cj774
AG
I miss Swensen's.
nought
AG
SSM with those ingredients is Sweet and Sour Mix.

halibut sinclair said:

The Grapevine Sangria
(Posted by a former Grapevine employee)

Ingredients:

SSM:
1 part orange juice concentrate
1 part lemonade concentrate

Sangria mix:
6 cups Burgundy
7 cups Sprite
3 cups SSM

Method:
Mix together the SSM ingredients (I don't know what SSM stands for. Maybe "Secret Sangria Mix").
Mix the Sangria Mix.
To prepare, combine equal parts Fresca and Sangria Mix.

phillytex24
Love Gun said:

halibut sinclair said:

Love Gun said:

halibut sinclair said:

L said:

Hastings was a few doors down from Poets. Poets was actually Bullwinkles in the 90's, among other bars.

There was the Black Belt Academy between Bullwinkles and Hastings.
Actually, Bullwinkle's was at the north end of Culpepper Plaza where that boxing place was most recently.

You're right. I was thinking Poets took over that corner spot like all the other bars that have been there. I need to get out more!
Same spot was also Confederate Railroad and later Mama's Pizza before Bullwinkle's. There was some seafood place there that didn't last long after Bullwinkle's closed, as I recall.

I seem to remember a fad bar like a Margarita Rox or something in the early 2000's

I remember that! I went there once!
AggiePhil
AG
halibut sinclair said:

The Grapevine Sangria

Ingredients:

SSM:

Sangria mix:
6 cups Burgundy
7 cups Sprite
3 cups SSM

Method:
Mix together the SSM ingredients.
Mix the Sangria Mix.

Fresca?
halibut sinclair
AggiePhil said:

halibut sinclair said:

The Grapevine Sangria

Ingredients:

SSM:

Sangria mix:
6 cups Burgundy
7 cups Sprite
3 cups SSM

Method:
Mix the Sangria Mix.

Fresca?
UmustBKidding
That corner has been one of everything. Padre cafe, and Eby Browns Good time cafe are a couple of other residents of that spots.
scd88
AG
I was a big fan of the Padre Cafe. Loved their chicken fried steak.
AggiePhil
AG
halibut sinclair said:

AggiePhil said:

halibut sinclair said:

The Grapevine Sangria

Ingredients:

SSM:

Sangria mix:
6 cups Burgundy
7 cups Sprite
3 cups SSM

Method:
Mix the Sangria Mix.

Fresca?

Interesting. So Sprite AND Fresca.
woodiewood1
rhoswen said:

for some reason, I always think of the Zip'N at the corner of GB and Texas, where Panda Express is now. Don't know why, cuz I never went in there.
Behind that was the CS post office and then was converted to a used book store.
halibut sinclair
Fresca is more grapefruity.
Uncle Bug
AG
Seems to me there was indoor skydiving at Grand Station (or whatever it was called) around '96-'98 timeframe?
Treman 92
AG
I used to work at Mario & Sons Pizzeria in the early 90s (delivery & night mgr). It was located in the Northgate area and a second restaurant was opened in Bryan off of Briarcrest. Not sure what happened to them but I do remember their recipes were legit with a lot of garlic.

If anyone has any knowledge of the closing of Mario & Sons Pizzeria I'd sure like to know.
wareagle044
Uncle Bug said:

Seems to me there was indoor skydiving at Grand Station (or whatever it was called) around '96-'98 timeframe?

Yes. It was very loud.

At the time it was Wolf Pen bowling and I believe they had added a skating rink. My brother was in competition gymnastics and later on was also a gymnastics gym in that building (possibly before skating rink)

The sky diving thing was a little domed area behind the building, I believe.
MiMi
S
Quote:

At the time it was Wolf Pen bowling and I believe they had added a skating rink.
I remember taking my elementary school-aged kids to birthday parties at the roller skating rink. Fun times!
hopeandrealchange
Uncle Bug said:

I can't recall the Man's name that started that.
I owned a machine shop back in those days and we did a bunch of work for him when he was setting it up. When he closed he asked if he could store the large electric motor and controls in our back lot for awhile. Never heard from him again.
12 years later we scraped it.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
cj774 said:

I miss Swensen's.

Me too. It and Shakes.
davido
AG
Albertsons by Harry's, bonfire cut mornings.
Par 3 course until Ninfas on bypass
Bike shop where Petal Patch went in on Texas by Deacon
Tom's on Texas and Holleman where the Batteries Plus strip center is now.
T-Bone Jones next to the Hilton, white Cadillac up front.
Academy in Redmond Terrace with Computer Access, which was in the building that was torn down when OTB - Best Buy came in.
Demolishing Kyle Field horseshoe and Deware
Original Wings N More where Raising Canes is now, with red carpet floors and low ceilings.
Snuffers through Fontanas? (Italian place) where Torchys is.
ChickFilA in Sbisa underground.
JD Wells in the Tap shopping center.
Structure in Post Oak Mall
Fox photo

Mr. Bill for chemistry tutoring
Somerville Steakhouse on Sundays when Sbisa was closed.
Oxford Street in Bryan (Steak & Ale before?)
The Rock Prairie Kroger seemed like the sticks.

I thought Grand Station was a McCoys. Where was McCoys?
Lock N Roll was a Furrow
555-PINF
I thought Grand Station was a Lowe's. McCoy's was out on the bypass in Bryan, possibly where Wilton's Office Works is, now.
UmustBKidding
This is correct, grand station was lowes. Mccoys where stan wiltons is
phillytex24
Rudder410 said:

I tried to read all 12 pages, but never saw a mention of Copacetic Cafe on College Main near current Antonio's. It was owned by the Sweet Eugenes ppl, and I spent hours "studying" there in 1998-99.

I miss when Northgate was more than just bars. I wish the City of College Station could regulate this. Dead Lazlos Cafe, Copacetic Cafe, the music stores, the military store. Bring back the shopping and minimize the bars! This will stop all the crime and help clean up that area. Spread out the bars so every drunk person in College Station isn't congregated in the same place. Bring back common sense when it comes to drinking & mainly this Northgate area again. Rezone that area!
whoop1995
AG
Bonfire moved from behind Duncan to the polo fields
PS3D
phillytex24 said:

Rudder410 said:

I tried to read all 12 pages, but never saw a mention of Copacetic Cafe on College Main near current Antonio's. It was owned by the Sweet Eugenes ppl, and I spent hours "studying" there in 1998-99.

I miss when Northgate was more than just bars. I wish the City of College Station could regulate this. Dead Lazlos Cafe, Copacetic Cafe, the music stores, the military store. Bring back the shopping and minimize the bars! This will stop all the crime and help clean up that area. Spread out the bars so every drunk person in College Station isn't congregated in the same place. Bring back common sense when it comes to drinking & mainly this Northgate area again. Rezone that area!
Northgate area being mostly bars and very little "retail" is one reason why Northgate isn't ready for prime time yet. The closest thing is CVS. They should probably incentivize the old Albertsons area for a new grocery store. (Kroger? H-E-B? Albertsons/Randalls? Trader Joe's? Aldi?)

Probably not 1990s, but I found it interesting how Albertsons came pretty close to renovating and reopening the Northgate store.
phillytex24
PS3D said:

phillytex24 said:

Rudder410 said:

Northgate area being mostly bars and very little "retail" is one reason why Northgate isn't ready for prime time yet. The closest thing is CVS. They should probably incentivize the old Albertsons area for a new grocery store. (Kroger? H-E-B? Albertsons/Randalls? Trader Joe's? Aldi?)

Probably not 1990s, but I found it interesting how Albertsons came pretty close to renovating and reopening the Northgate store.

If they can minimize the bars & stop new bar development, the area will not be such a nuisance. Spread the bars out to minimize all the chaos. Retail can bring it back to life again, in a good way!
Enfield
Didn't read the whole thread, but does anyone else miss the old Wings N More on Texas? It was cool to see the wing eating records up on the chalk boards and the multi tiered floor was cool.
AG81
AG
You kids......

I remember when there was about nothing in College Station, everything was in Bryan. A&W Root Beer drive in about where First Watch is. THE place to shop, outside of downtown Bryan, was Townshire Shopping Center. Safeway, Jarrett Pharmacy, Kelly's Toylane, Sears. There wasn't even a Bryan High School yet, the schools were segregated. Stephen F. Austin and Kemp were the High Schools.
crbongos
AG
Correct. Originally was Oak Ridge Smokehouse.
CRBongo
crbongos
AG
Mamma Pizza was originally Oak Ridge Smokehouse where Torchy's is now.
CRBongo
crbongos
AG
Costa and Andreas said:

DB Coach said:

Anyone remember the little Italian restaurant across the street from Cafe Eccell?

Rosalie's Pasta. I used to cook, then chef, then be Operations Manager of it along with Cafe Eccell. I met my wife there. She was a server. 26 years married now. Tortellini Genovese FTW!!

Before that Searcy Bond had Dead Solid perfect Hamburger joint. Best burger ever!!!
CRBongo
PS3D
crbongos said:

Yes and no. Mama's Pizza was in the former Oakridge Smokehouse, but that building was torn down in the 1990s when the Barnes & Noble/Office Depot/Best Buy strip was built. It did spend a decade at 1037 Texas Avenue where Torchy's Tacos is now, that building still exists.

As far as the 1990s goes, during that era, that building changed hands every year or two.
cj774
AG
A Net Full of Jello said:

cj774 said:

I miss Swensen's.

Me too. It and Shakes.

Ah yes I forgot about Shakes. Those Concretes they had were great.
AggiePhil
AG
Looks like they still have one in Cedar Park.
Aggies76
AG
PS3D said:

crbongos said:

Yes and no. Mama's Pizza was in the former Oakridge Smokehouse, but that building was torn down in the 1990s when the Barnes & Noble/Office Depot/Best Buy strip was built. It did spend a decade at 1037 Texas Avenue where Torchy's Tacos is now, that building still exists.

As far as the 1990s goes, during that era, that building changed hands every year or two.

I remember Mama's Pizza during the 70s when I was there. BW Stevenson performed there once.
Sssmasontx
AG
This has driven me crazy - does anyone remember one of the fraternity houses that had a swimming pool? Maybe I dreamed it?? I was there from 93-98.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.