College Station in the 1990s

151,570 Views | 584 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by mgj.23
TexasRebel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've only skimmed, but I've seen no mention of Beetles BBQ or the half abandoned Manor East Mall.

Two lane + turn Texas Avenue. Imperial Chinese, Pop's BBQ, and the Pool at Bryan Muni.

There was also very little on either side of the bypass. Just Bossier, a couple of churches, Post Oak, and a driving range.
AggiePhil
AG
Anyone remember Rockfish? I thought it was pretty good. My girldriend's roommate worked there for a while.
acp46
Was Rockfish the one that burned down?
TexasRebel
AG
it wasn't even built until long after the '90
AggiePhil
AG
Rockfish was there around 2001/2002, IIRC. I can't remember if the fire occurred during the building of Rockfish or during the changeover to Fish Daddy's. I know it was caused by a chemical-soaked cleaning rag of some sort. I want to say it was after Rockfish and before Fish Daddy's.
1984Consol
I am really enjoying this thread, and I am sure others are enjoying it as well. I am learning alot about what used to be in College Station/ Bryan both before and after I left. Thanks so much to the op for starting the thread and to all of the contributors to the thread so far. Please continue)
This also applies to the "who remembers..." thread. These kinds of threads are so awesome

[This message has been edited by 1984Consol (edited 5/26/2012 7:53p).]

[This message has been edited by 1984Consol (edited 5/26/2012 7:56p).]
Brandamne
Kona Ranch
AgFan1999
AG
is now Ozona.
classicdoug
AG
Also in the 90's Graham Central Station and The Hall used to have "any coin, any drink" specials. We used to get there early with pockets full of pennies.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
I am really enjoying this thread, and I am sure others are enjoying it as well. I am learning alot about what used to be in College Station/ Bryan both before and after I left.
It was Bryan / College Station back then. Still is.
PS3D
Rockfish closed in the mid-2000s and was to be renovated into Fish Daddy's, but a fire in February 2006 gutted the building (and too bad, it was a kind of neat building) and had to be torn down and rebuilt from scratch. But also: post-1999.

And Texas Avenue two lanes + turn lane? Pre-1990.
Kitten With A Whip
quote:
And Texas Avenue two lanes + turn lane? Pre-1990.

It was still that way up to 97 or 98ish until the first section became 3 lanes each direction. I think the first section was from University to [roughly] George Bush drive. The next section was post 2000. Man that was a PITA, but it sure is much nicer.
bco2003
AG
Olive Garden on Texas Avenue by Hastings, before it burned down.
PS3D
Ah, two lanes in each direction. That makes more sense.
PS3D
Sevcik's Texaco. It used to advertise a whole lot more than it does now.
TexasRebel
AG
Sevcik's also used to have two locations. The "home" station was on 29th next to the Winn Dixie.

He sold that station off pretty quickly after the accident.
capn-mac
Hmm, Rememory:
'90s--early--would be when Walding's Texaco finally closed, and was replaced--after razing--with Jame's Coney island (now Taco Bell).

Bubba Sevcik had a service center & oil-change there on S. College near Villa Maria. His dad's place was a Texaco on 29th across the street from Black Forrest Bakery (that location is a limo place--or was last year).

Where memory is failing me is whether the Longmire Sevcik location was always a shell, or started life as a Texaco. I want to remember the latter, but the Shell-Texaco merger was long enough ago to blur things.
DBSwooper
quote:
Olive Garden on Texas Avenue by Hastings, before it burned down.

El Chico across Holleman from it, before it was torn down to add yet another bank.
TexasRebel
AG
The Longmire station used to be a Texaco... All of Sevcik's places were a Texaco, but turned to Shells when the switch happened in the early '00s (I have one of the signs from Secik's)

Then somebody opened a Texaco across the street.
esiws
Beetles' downtown location was right behind the bail bonds places. The building is still there and looks the same, just is painted tan. They've been working on it for years now. I'm not sure what is happening/going in.
PS3D
The place across the street from Sevcik's was originally a Circle K (far back as I remember, anyway) then Conoco (circa '98), then Diamond Shamrock (after they switched designs, so maybe '03-'04) and then finally Texaco.

Also: the TELEGRAPH LINES! They ran paralleling Wellborn all the way from FM 2818 to North Graham (maybe beyond). Wires were still intact and everything! They disappeared maybe summer 2000.

I think there was a telegraph pole (horribly overgrown) in Wellborn several years ago, dunno if its still there.

[This message has been edited by PS3D (edited 5/27/2012 6:15p).]
dabrews
It was originally called Ping's Chinese Fast Food as to Luther and Wellborne eatery. The one that was located by On the Border was called Hunans.
carpe vinum
AG
Pings Picknick Pantry, great place to grab a quick lunch
MisUnderstood
TCBY or was that another era?
MisUnderstood

[This message has been edited by MisUnderstood (edited 5/30/2012 3:39p).]
Maveric
AG
There was a TCBY in the Exxon at Rock Prairie as late at 98 when I moved here.
MiMi
S
quote:
TCBY or was that another era?

TCBY was in CS in the 90's. It is where Chef Cao is now on University Ave.
PS3D
Somebody said that there was an A&W at the Exxon at Rock Prairie originally. Either way, I *vaguely* remember there was something before Sonic. Rock Prairie expanded out to Wellborn in 1998, then? When did North Graham close? I know the crossing was eliminated around late 2001 or early 2002, but the main section was closed before that.
DBSwooper
quote:
Somebody said that there was an A&W at the Exxon at Rock Prairie originally

The A&W stand was at that Exxon and it was there into the fall of 2002. The summer of 2002 I moved to that part of town and went there quite a few times for a good rootbeer float.
AggiePhil
AG
Then what was in the Shell across the street before Mi Cocina?
TexasRebel
AG
TCBY was next to Chef Cao's. They existed at the same time.
Kitten With A Whip
quote:
Then what was in the Shell across the street before Mi Cocina?

Nothing. It started as Mi Cocina.
Clucky
No, it started as something else. It was a Mexican food place, can't recall the name though.
PS3D
It started as some sort of thing involving beef. As for other Mexican pre-Cocina, there was a "Lajita's Grill" at that address appearing in Google searches.

Sonic, IIRC, was in by December 2002.
Scotch
AG
I vaguely remember the beef or steak place. Didn't last long.

A&W All American Grill or whatever name they go by was at the Exxon in the 90's.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.