College Station in the 1990s

150,972 Views | 581 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Anubus
victory
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
some great places on this thread...some I havent seen

Grandy's
Traingle and Wolf Pen Bowling
Time Out- Arcade in Post Oak Mall
Go Kart place with dirt track where Cavanders is
Dollar Movie Theater in Post oak
Blinn just down from The Tap
Flying Tomatoe Brothers Pizza
Kelly's Korner Store
Greensworld- Par 3 Golf Course

[This message has been edited by victory (edited 5/10/2012 1:54p).]
1984Consol
RIP Grandy's and their so yummy all you can eat chicken fried steak(
Jennico
Who remembers...

The Saber Inn???? It was torn down to build Taco Cabana across from A&M....

Kinko's when they were behind the Chicken...

On The Double.....

JJ Muggs....

The Blue Dolphin....

Citizens National Bank...

GiveEmHellBill
AG
Before Imperial was on Texas Avenue next to the original Fuddrucker's location, it was on Harvey around where Plato's Closet is now.

My wife and I still laugh when we remember speaking with the owner of Imperial before they moved. We asked where their new location was going to be and he said they were moving to Texas Avenue "next to Ruddrucker's." Yes, he was a sweet Asian gentleman and we're both very racist for finding that hilarious.
Clucky
quote:
JT McCord's was where Imperial was, and is now a pawn shop.

You are correct. OK, so I'm 3 for 5 on my corrections...oh well.
1984Consol
at least he said "ruddruckers" and not "ruddf*ckers". I accidentally said that in front of my mom one time. I thought it was hilarious. her- not so much...
Kitten With A Whip
Just a few more that I remember...

- The full service Exxon at Texas and Harvey Rd
- 3-C Barbeque
- Mazzios
- Mariels Super Market [TJ Maxx Shopping Center]
- Movie Theater on SW Parkway behind Wendy's... Later became The Globe night club [My old stompin' ground!]
- Video King - Post Oak Village
- Paramount Theater - SW Parkway next to Little Caesar Pizza
- When Blinn College was located in the Woodstone Shopping Center
Pancho's - Culpepper Plaza
Weiner's - Culpepper Plaza

Someone might have to help me with the name of this one...

There was a Hair Design school in Redmond Terrace. Can't remember the name of it, but I remember my Mom taking me there for a haircut. She left me there and went to... I think it was a furniture store to look around. When she came back my hair was 10 inches shorter and I was in tears and was still sobbing when we got home! My poor mother nearly cried herself.

Anyone remember the name?
DBSwooper
You're right, that was Disc-Go-Round.
Rexter
evergreen traffic signals...

university at tarrow at the hilton
wellborn at sw pkwy
briarcrest at villa maria

Scotch
AG
quote:
quote:
Before it was a brewing company, it was a Texas Aggie Book Store. Before that, it was a casual dining place with awesome stained glass lampshades over the tables. I think the name was something like Sarge's, but don't really remember.

Before all of those, it was a burger/sandwich shop called Danver's. My parents loved that place. It had a drive-thru and they loved the iced tea there.
Danver's is the place I was taking about. I didn't want to call it fast food because to me it was not exactly that, so I used "casual dining". Thanks for helping my memory.

Have read every single post, but it should be noted that when Fuddrucker's was in the strip center, they closed down for a number of years, then reopened in same location before moving over to Harvey Rd.
DBSwooper
quote:
evergreen traffic signals...

university at tarrow at the hilton
wellborn at sw pkwy
briarcrest at villa maria

The former setup at Harvey and Texas. Where south bound Texas Ave never had a red signal, the left turn from Harvey had its own lane with a raised curb section.
PS3D
Oh, speaking of evergreen signals, remember the weird black Southwest Parkway and Texas Avenue light? Completely different than anything in town (different than the ones we have now).

I was sad when they were removed for the Texas Avenue widening.
australopithecus robustus
Social is where VBar was.
AggiePhil
AG
I remember eating at the old Fuddrucker's (2206 Texas) between 2000 and 2001 (or thereabouts). After it closed, that space became Ugly's bar and then Club Upgrade.

quote:
Before all of those, it was a burger/sandwich shop called Danver's. My parents loved that place. It had a drive-thru and they loved the iced tea there.

A drive-thru? Interesting. I can't see how that building would lend itself to a drive-thru window.
PS3D
Royder's at Southwest Parkway and Texas. I never remember it actually being open, though.

McCoy's on the highway (I believe it's Office Furniture USA). The ad booklet they had was the best!

Furrow's, later. I remember they had candy in the front, a place where you could cut your own tubing (which Ace had, before it closed), and where you could get nails in a paper bag. Good place, I liked it.

I think Sam's Club moved its entrance at some point in time, too.

Schulman 6, and Cinemark pre-renovation: both, I think, had the "Christmas lights" lining the main aisle. There was a drug store in Culpepper that had "Rx" in it (SupeRx, maybe?) and a hobby store (I think, it was a dark, weird place). Quik as a Flash where Shiraz is now. Swensen's, with its "clown ice cream" (an upside-down cone with gumballs). University Police at George Bush and Houston. Powersports Gymnastics.
eloc62
here's a few more for you old schoolers.
Pepe's Taco on Dominick
Godfathers Pizza in Culpepper Plaza, next to Swenson's
Pelicans Wharf at Texas and Southwest Pkwy.
Mama's Pizza, where fowl digits is now.
Hoffbraue Steak House.
Hamburgers by Gourmet, which is now Fox and Hound.

used to love going to Cow Hop for a "Cow Pie and fries." good eats!
SlimM
AG
I must have been the only one who ate at Hot Legs (I guess that's why they went out of business)!

Where was Grandy's? Also, wasn't there a theater next to Harry's?

AggiePhil
AG
Grandy's was in front of Toys 'R Us, near the mattress store (which used to be Peir One).

Furrow was a neat hardware store. Looked like it used to be a Payless Cashways. Was it? Also, it may have been before the 90s but Wolf Pen Bowling Center used to be a small Lowe's.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
"Pelicans Wharf at Texas and Southwest Pkwy."

The outside nautical decor for that place was still out there years after Pelican's Wharf closed down.

After Pelican's Wharf, it was a cool little place called Pasghetti's. That was a good joint: The served bowls of pasta. You chose from a selection of pasta noodles, then from a selection of sauces. A refill was only a buck. Loved that place, but it didn't last.

After that, it was briefly a Royer's. Then empty for a few years and now it's a nail place.
PS3D
Royder's was empty for at least five years.
We had a Godfather's Pizza? No way! I thought they were only up north.
Pepe's was later Gumby's Pizza, but Gumby's was there at least in the late 1990s.
Furrow and Payless Cashways are the same company. Some stores were called Payless Cashways, some were Furrow, and I think there was at least one more name they went under.
Pier One was in the mattress store building.
Lowe's was in the Wolf Pen Bowling, but that closed before 1990.
Weiner's was on Texas Avenue in Bryan, next to the railroad tracks. I think it's a pawn store now.
Long John Silver's was next to H-E-B, and was there up until it got busted for drugs in the early 2000s. Anyone remember that?
Wienerschnitzel had a store (with interior seating) where Church's is now, near Wal-Mart.
Citibank was Bank of America, or 1st National Bank, or something like that. Don't know when it changed (the bank at the corner of Texas Avenue and 2818)
There was a red barricade at the eventual intersection of Dartmouth and FM 2818 for years and years.
I think there was an A&W at the Exxon at Rock Prairie and Wellborn when it first opened. That was before the stoplight.
Gandy (now Rock Prairie Road West) was a dirt road, ended with a yield sign at Old Wellborn.
acp46
The Fish Man on Villa Maria and Wellborn. Interesting and occasionally sketchy seafood market run by an extremely talkative old Cajun.
acp46
La Selva on Harvey Road...a strange nursery that sold close to 10,000 kinds of orchids, run by a fantastic elderly couple...like a little Garden of Eden it was.
AggiePhil
AG
What about the empty nursery on the Texas frontage road near Brothers?
PS3D
IIRC, that was Petal Patch, near Deacon and Texas Avenue.

In the late 1990s, Petal Patch was at the corner of Texas Avenue and Holleman. (the building was green in those days)

--Where did the Fish Man set-up shop? There's houses on the southeast part, and the golf course to the north, and the railroads were to the west. No real empty space.

Also: the swimming pool at the Bryan Municipal Golf Course. It was filled in by the late 1990s.

[This message has been edited by PS3D (edited 5/11/2012 10:49a).]
1984Consol
Long John Silver's got busted for drugs? What happened? I was gone from CS by then so I never heard anything about it.
PS3D
Eh, circa 2003 or so (it was after H-E-B had opened), apparently this LJS's had a "code word" (probably some obscure condiment) where you could buy a bit of "something else" with your fried food, and it was discovered. Shortly thereafter, the restaurant closed and subsequently demolished. I can't be the only one that remembers, am I?
acp46
PS3D, The Fish Man was on the left on Villa Maria just as you crossed Wellborn heading west. That whole area has, as you've observed been torn up and developed. But the space was there, I assure you.
Aggiefan54
quote:

That is all that is left of a plant nursery that burned down under suspicious circumstances in the 80's as I recall. Maybe the property is under some kind of cloud and that is why it has never been torn down/rebuilt?
Aggiefan54
The Taco Bell on Texas in Bryan that had the "Aggie drive-thru window" where you picked up your order through the passenger side window of your car.
PS3D
Ha! I remember my econ teacher telling us about the Aggie drive-thru window.

Was there even space on that part of the road, enough to park? I seem to recall heading toward Wellborn, the railroad was way up higher than Wellborn.

Also, who remembers the railroad spur that crossed Finfeather near Carson? The tracks were paved over in the early 2000s, but remnants can be seen on either side, and there's still a bit of a raised area. I don't remember any signage, though.
Scotch
AG
Was the spur for the International Shoe factory?
Newbomb_Turk
The Fish Man was in a little shopping strip that was connected to the convenience store at the southwest corner of Villa Maria and Finfeather. Long before the underpass was there. The whole road layout in that area was different.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Was the spur for the International Shoe factory?

Or maybe the window factory?
1984Consol
thats pretty funny about LJS. Prob some cashier who wasnt "in the know" was told that code word by a customer, asked the manager what it meant then told police because they didnt want to lose their job, which sadly happened anyway. I guess noone wanted to move into that building after that because the history of the building had been tainted perhaps?
ksevern
AG
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is all that is left of a plant nursery that burned down under suspicious circumstances in the 80's as I recall. Maybe the property is under some kind of cloud and that is why it has never been torn down/rebuilt?

It was called Sunset Gardens and it burned up. I think the EPA claimed all the fertilizer contaminated the ground? Dunno, it's been a few decades! I just vaguely remember that the remediation costs were extreme. Bueller?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.