College Station in the 1990s

151,040 Views | 581 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Anubus
TXAGBQ76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There were two Luby's in town?
MiMi
S
TXAGBQ76 said:

Yep
75AG
AG
MiMi said:

TXAGBQ76 said:

Yep
was the Bryan location ever a Luby's? I thought it closed while still a Wyatt's?
TXAGBQ76
AG
No, it was a Luby's right up til closed
75AG
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

No, it was a Luby's right up til closed
We should've gone to Bryan more often.
TXAGBQ76
AG
halibut sinclair
75AG said:

MiMi said:

TXAGBQ76 said:

Yep
was the Bryan location ever a Luby's? I thought it closed while still a Wyatt's?
Wyatt's was close to the bend in Bryan - the building is now the MHMR center. Luby's was where Sushi Masa is now, and the other Luby's was in Post Oak Mall.
75AG
AG
Forgot about the mall location.
BaronDeBishopville
Wyatt's Cafeteria was just south of downtown Bryan, just north of Whataburger. The building is still there. it's now an MHMR office. Luby's was at the corner of Rosemary and Texas in Bryan and in the Post Oak Mall.
halibut sinclair
BaronDeBishopville said:

Wyatt's Cafeteria was just south of downtown Bryan, just north of Whataburger. The building is still there. it's now an MHMR office. Luby's was at the corner of Rosemary and Texas in Bryan and in the Post Oak Mall.
WolfCall
AG
dachsie said:

I remember when Brueggers Bagels came to town and then when they left. And the Home Depot, Petsmart, Cheddars, etc area was a field and trees.
Lots of other wooded lots from the 1990s were bulldozed with little to no thought of saving trees, including the wooded lot at Copperfield and Boonville.

I would like to see aerial photos of Bryan-College Station every five years beginning 1969 to 2024 to show the deforestation of the cities over the years. It could be used by Engineer, Architect, and Landscape Architect Departments at TAMU as a case study on promoting the removal of trees with the growth of the cities.
textar4404
https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer
Aggie
AG
BaronDeBishopville said:

Wyatt's cafeteria was in the mall also.
It was first lubys then changed to Wyatt's cafeteria .. not sure if the Bryan location was still open but 100% sure there was Wyatt's cafeteria in post oak mall
BMo
When we moved to the area in '94, it was a Luby's. I don't remember it ever being anything but Luby's at the mall location.
PS3D
Aggie said:

BaronDeBishopville said:

It was first lubys then changed to Wyatt's cafeteria .. not sure if the Bryan location was still open but 100% sure there was Wyatt's cafeteria in post oak mall

The mall Luby's was originally Wyatt's (and briefly Bishop's). It didn't really last too long as Luby's (1996-2000), so I'm not surprised it wasn't memorable.
bcstx06
PS3D said:

Aggie said:

BaronDeBishopville said:

The mall Luby's was originally Wyatt's (and briefly Bishop's). It didn't really last too long as Luby's (1996-2000), so I'm not surprised it wasn't memorable.

The mall Luby's was still there in the year 2000?
I had forgotten about Luby's in the mall but remember eating there as a child and I guess Wyatt's too. I use to always hear older relatives talk about Wyatt's but I guess I was too young to remember or know the difference between it and Luby's at the time.

91_Aggie
AG
I got here in 87 and remember wyatts in the mall... pretty sure it was in that main entrance near JCPenneys. Service merchandise was where the men's Dillard's is now
kevmiller
Yes there was Wyatt's cafeteria in the mall at one point.

I don't remember if it was first Lubys then a Wyatt's or vice versa, but it was same location.
WolfCall
AG
Has Nortenos in downtown Bryan been mentioned?
91_Aggie
AG
WolfCall said:

Has Nortenos in downtown Bryan been mentioned?

What is that?
phillytex24
I remember when I moved here the summer of 1995, I was shocked that the mall was falling apart! I was thankful to find that there was a newer mall called The Post Oak Mall! It was amazing! I even went to the movies there! I've had the best memories there through the years. Now it's sad to see it, too, is beginning its demise.
Anubus
I liked Alicia's on South College. It was a Tex-Mex/Cajun fusion restaurant.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.