College Station in the 1990s

151,064 Views | 581 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Anubus
UmustBKidding
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Loved Youngblood's before they sold it. And Texan to.

The old Ken Martins cave room. Had dreams that someone painted it pepto bismol pink and that is where the filmed those inside the stomach commercials

Sambos, my first thanksgiving meal away from home in 1980, only place in town that was still open when got off work at 10pm. Passed a single car on Texas Ave on trip from 25th street in Bryan to their parking lot. Wish traffic was still like that.
techno-ag
AG
Loved the cave room.
4ZORRO
AG
I can say that everything was better in the '90's than today.
australopithecus robustus
I've lived here since 1979. I can say that everything from the 90's was definitely NOT better than today. It was fun, but we have come a long way!
FlyRod
Amen. Except for Thai Taste and the original Deluxe Diner, there is nothing I really miss that used to be here and no longer is.
Counterpoint
AG
I do miss the Hot Legs restaurant from the 90's though!

FlyRod
Anyone miss Condom Station?
halibut sinclair
Sun Theaters above Loupot's showed some good ol' classic films.
Redarmynick
Remember karaoke at Bombay Bicycle and piledrivers at the Hilton Sundance. We would get free cover tickets out of the course catalog and bring our mugs in for a "few" cheap piledrivers. Watch wheel of fortune, Simpsons, free apps, cheap drinks, comedy and then cougar dance night.
Redarmynick
Also does anyone remember a fancier Mexican restaurant a few miles out of CS. I think I would drive on univ or Harvey, away from CS and past 6. Then would take a right onto some smaller road. It was by itself and was a nicer place, seem to recall a nice patio and maybe Christmas lights outside. Proposed to my wife there and neither of us can remember the name.
Scotch
AG
Jose's was out on 30(Harvey Rd) in the 80's/ early 90's.
Aggies76
AG
I had my rehearsal dinner at Jose's back in '78.
Kitten With A Whip
Casa Tomas wasn't too shabby, either.
rfm1230
Was it the Black Forest Inn or Restaurant?
PebbleCreekster
Copy Corner took over the old post office that was on the corner of Jersey and Texas!

K-Mart was the last business on Texas Ave. South.

Pelicans Warf was a seafood restaurant on the corner of TX and SW Pkwy.

John Wellington (Owns the Tap) was a bartender at Bennigan's

Deluxe Burger was a hoping spot at North Gate.

Rock Prairie Dr. dead ended at the elementary school.

The Saber Inn stood where Taco Cabana is now on TX.

Fort Shilo was The Steak house in CS.

PS3D
quote:
Copy Corner took over the old post office that was on the corner of Jersey and Texas!

K-Mart was the last business on Texas Ave. South.

Pelicans Warf was a seafood restaurant on the corner of TX and SW Pkwy.

John Wellington (Owns the Tap) was a bartender at Bennigan's

Deluxe Burger was a hoping spot at North Gate.

Rock Prairie Dr. dead ended at the elementary school.

The Saber Inn stood where Taco Cabana is now on TX.

Fort Shilo was The Steak house in CS.

By the 1990s, Saber Inn was long gone (it bit the dust in the early 1980s), and Kmart wasn't the last business on Texas Avenue (Wal-Mart opened in 1988 with Albertsons coming in-line in 1991).
musicforall
RE: Silver Lining Salad, for those of you who still remember . . .

If not perfect, it is so close. Google "The Texan" Silver Lining Salad. If the recipe has mayo, it is NOT the right one. Red Boat fish sauce gave the right taste, the La Choy fish sauce from Kroger was horrible and I threw it away. I found the Red Boat at the Asian Market in College Station. Toasting the sesame seeds and adding a 1/4 t. of toasted sesame oil made a big difference. Next time I will try white pepper instead of black pepper, and I think it will be spot on. Make it and immediately eat it, it will not sit, which I guess is one reason that they made it table side.
(Removed:11023A)
AG
Who remembers the last Chinese Buffet place that was located where torchis tacos is located now? I'm talking around the spring of '94. I loved that stupid place!!
Kitten With A Whip
quote:
Who remembers the last Chinese Buffet place that was located where torchis tacos is located now? I'm talking around the spring of '94. I loved that stupid place!!
I can't remember the name of it, but we used to eat there pretty often. I also remember seeing a sign in there one time about their buffet boxes To-Go and they were priced by the pound! I remember wondering how many pounds that box could hold and that it would be horrifying to walk up, have your box weighed and being told your price was $43.35 or some outrageous amount for just one person!
emtes
AG
GARCIAS MEXICAN FOOD was where Fuddruckers is now
bkdag
S
There used to be a steak house in the 80's and 90's right where Ponchos, Los Cucos (Culpepper Plaza) is. Anybody remember the name?
MiMi
S
quote:
There used to be a steak house in the 80's and 90's right where Ponchos, Los Cucos (Culpepper Plaza) is. Anybody remember the name?
I don't recall. I moved here in 1990. At that time, the only restaurants I remember in that strip were Bennigan's and Swensen's
bkdag
S
quote:
quote:
I don't recall. I moved here in 1990. At that time, the only restaurants I remember in that strip were Bennigan's and Swensen's

I remember both of those as well! There also was an arcade right next to Swensen's
Chris98
AG
Steak House @ Los Cucos location- Texas Tumble Weed?
UmustBKidding
This is what it was, just could not remember this earlier.
Had a friend who rented it several years after it had closed for his election night get together. When they left they obviously did not clean well and we had to hurriedly try to knock the roach population down. When Los Cucos had issues with them I figured they were the offspring of the millions we were not able to kill that day. Not sure how the whole complex was not permanently infested.
bkdag
S
Yes...that was it!! There was also a steakhouse in the mall right next to the movie theater..remember that?? It's wasn't Chelsea Street Pub...it was something different.
UmustBKidding
The original occupant of the long time Fajita Ritas building was Chelsea Street Pub. They did a stint after that in that space at the mall. Think the space started out as Jubilation, then Chelsea street, Stadium among other. Then on to First National Bank and ChuckECheeze. I don't venture to the mall EVER any more. It was below grade with the bar at in lowest level originally.
dylan
What was the Mexican Restaurant near the water tower on Texas and Holleman?
Drewmeister
AG
El Chico. Business suffered when the construction for widening Texas Ave. to three lanes each way (around 2002?) made access difficult and they closed around that time. Since then, the HEB was built and the water tower moved back, and a bank built in the El Chico location.

Apparently it was a VW/Porsche dealer at one point in history but I always remember it being El Chico, going back to the early 90s.
PS3D
quote:
El Chico. Business suffered when the construction for widening Texas Ave. to three lanes each way (around 2002?) made access difficult and they closed around that time. Since then, the HEB was built and the water tower moved back, and a bank built in the El Chico location.

Apparently it was a VW/Porsche dealer at one point in history but I always remember it being El Chico, going back to the early 90s.
Prior to H-E-B's construction in 2002 El Chico's parking lot connected to a small building that had Aggieland Cleaners and Early Bird Cleaners (those two faced Holleman). When H-E-B was built, the two moved to a new yellow building north of the water tower, which was north of El Chico. The El Chico remained, and the parking lot was connected to it. About that time, the old water tower started to be disassembled (the new one was built about the same time as H-E-B) and that became the H-E-B gas station. El Chico DID close around the time Texas Avenue was widened in that part, which started in fall 2006.
halibut sinclair
quote:

Bud Ward Volkswagen. After they closed the dealership, the building was a bar for a short while before they tore it down to build El Chico.
Kendall Rogers
AG
Does anyone have a photo of the original Whataburger on Dominik before it burned down?
UmustBKidding
It wasn't the original that burned down, it was the first replacement. The original was an A frame and the one that burned was one of the square replacements with Neon border. Was a windy and something blew into one of the tubes and caused arcing that set it on fire.
UmustBKidding
The building next to El Chico was Aggieland Printing (originally behind Jot 59 where Holleman ended east of TX) and SignsNow. Think the Sign shop may have moved and there was a cleaners for a period of time next to the print shop. Part of the HEB realignment had them buying that property from print shop owners family and providing them new property and building north of the HEB gas station. Aggieland printing is still in that location.
bkdag
S
quote:
The original occupant of the long time Fajita Ritas building was Chelsea Street Pub. They did a stint after that in that space at the mall. Think the space started out as Jubilation, then Chelsea street, Stadium among other. Then on to First National Bank and ChuckECheeze. I don't venture to the mall EVER any more. It was below grade with the bar at in lowest level originally.

Thanks for your responses!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.