College Station in the 1990s

150,990 Views | 581 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Anubus
Newbomb_Turk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Blue Baker/Brazos Brewing Co. building was originally a Danver's restaurant - like Arby's but they sold beer. Huge roast beef sandwiches and burgers.
O.G.
Back in the 90's.....the Plaza Hotel was still standing....just sayin'.
PS3D
^^^ except it wasn't the Plaza Hotel then.

It was "UNIVERSITY TOWER" in large red letters.
PS3D
A bit of a stretch, but anyone remember the gas station that was at the corner of Highway 6 and FM 2154, near Navasota? Apparently it was built after 1995. Anyone remember it?
pokecheck
PS3D -> Wasn't that gas station called "Victoria's"?
pokecheck
Anybody remember the name of the place that moved into the car dealership under the water tower on Holleman? I think I remember a big deal about Bucky Richardson being a co-owner.
biobioprof
Back on p3, Aggie had the name of the BBQ on Texas not far from Tom's... it was Pop's. I don't think it was Buppy's across from where shipwreck is now... I thought Buppy's started as catering only and then opened where they are now.

The place that was across from Eccell after La Taq and before La Bodega was Rosalie's.

basketaggie
AG
There was a small white house on the other side of Bodega across from Excell that was a quilt shop in 1999. Most people think I'm crazy when I mention that one.

The beer joint where you could do laundry on the other side of Joy Luck (down from Sweet Eugene's) was the Sud's Pub or something similar to that.
techno-ag
AG
The Owl sold yarn and knitting supplies out of a house in North Bryan on a street off College. I forget which one but it was a block or two from North St.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
quote:
What was the other BBQ place on Texas? Was there another BBQ place across from where Shipwreck is now?

The other BBQ place on Texas was Pop's. I've been here since '94 and don't remember a BBQ place near Shipwreck, which is the former Captain's.

quote:
Anybody remember the name of the place that moved into the car dealership under the water tower on Holleman? I think I remember a big deal about Bucky Richardson being a co-owner.

Ho-ly cow! I had forgotten about that. Bucky wasn't just a co-owner, his name was on the sign. It's where the old Corbusier Chevrolet used to be. It was a bar and grill with a beach/warehouse feel to it. They even had an indoor volleyball court.

Didn't last long, though. The food wasn't very good and it was too far from campus to attract students who had few reasons--if any--to venture that far into Bryan.

I lived in Bryan at the time and remember before Hwy 6 became the motor mile. In '94, Tom Light Chevrolet, Fred Brown Mazda BMW, and Allen Honda were the only dealerships on the bypass.

Varsity Ford, University Toyota, and Wayne Thomas VW were near the bend in Bryan. Douglass Nissan was across from Varsity where Rent-a-Center is now. Gary Stephenson's Quality Buick-Pontiac-GMC was farther down Texas. And Allen Olds-Cadillac was across from Kroger, now the 99-cent Store.
carpe vinum
AG
The place across from Shipwreck was a pizza place I think. Pizza Planet? Maybe Pizza Hut
Newbomb_Turk
Pizza Planet
PS3D
I seem to remember reading that Allen Honda was the first to break ground at the water tower area (Holleman and Texas), but that was the 1970s, not the 1990s.

What about the old field house and natatorium that was outside Kyle Field, roughly where the pedestrian underpass is? I don't remember that AT ALL, but it was there, and torn down after the Rec Center opened (which replaced it)

Shipwreck Grill used to be The Boat. It was painted blue, it lacked the additions (like the enclosed bar area) SG made to it, and it served ONLY seafood.

[This message has been edited by PS3D (edited 5/25/2012 10:16a).]
Newbomb_Turk
Shipwreck didn't add the bar area. It was there when the place was The Boat.
AgTrip
I remember Fish Daddy's off South College and Buffalo Joe's ( think was the name) of 21 and Texas. Buffalo Joe's had a great buffet and the waitresses were super nice!
Scotch
AG
Before The Boat, the location was Captain's, Captain's SEafood I believe. The menu of Shipwreck gives a nod to the previous names of the location.

Fred Brown Mazda BMW and Allen Honda were the first car dealers on the bypass, I believe the order of the rest moving out there was something like, but not exactly:

Ford
Nissan
Bossier Chrysler
Tom Light Chevy
Toyota
Sterling Auto Group
Saturn, now Kia

There was a dealer was under the old location of the water tower at Holleman and Texas, Mitsubishis were there at that dealer, maybe VW's also or instead at one time?

In the early 90's the VW dealer was on the bend in Bryan in what I believe is a carper or flooring place next to Watson Motors now.
Scotch
AG
When and where were the Beetle's BBQs in town? Couls one location have been the place across from Captain's/The Boat/Shipwreck?
PS3D
I know Shipwreck added something. Although looking at Street View, it was The Boat that repainted it from blue to brown. Odd.

Also, when did the Exxon-McDonald's open? I THOUGHT it was 1997 (that's wrote on Wikimapia, anyway) but now I'm thinking maybe 1998-1999.

On a similar note, what about the Exxon at Rock Prairie and Wellborn? That seemed to open not too long after Rock Prairie extended in 1998 or 1999. Didn't it have an A&W before Sonic?

[This message has been edited by PS3D (edited 5/25/2012 1:17p).]
AggiePhil
AG
I remember student bookstores in the Golden Corral center and next to Souper Salad in Cullpepper. The Rother's on Southgate had all Corps stuff upstairs. I also remember Cain Pool and the Downs Natatorium. Oh, and why hasn't anyone mentioned Eggroll House?? lol
Kitten With A Whip
quote:
I remember Fish Daddy's off South College and Buffalo Joe's ( think was the name) of 21 and Texas. Buffalo Joe's had a great buffet and the waitresses were super nice!

That was Big Daddy's! They had some really good fried catfish, too.

Bucky Richardson's place was called Big Dogz for a while. I'm not sure if that was while he owned it or after, but yes, the food there wasn't great. It looked like a fun place, though! I remember my parents taking us to eat there and them being surprised to see that it was more a sports bar/night club that served food, than a restaurant. I'm sure my Dad got a good eyeful of the chicks in bikkini's playing volleyball out back!
AgTrip
Kat you're right...was Big Daddy's.

Who remembers "Sneakers" off Harvey and their Thursday "bladder busters". Cheap beer until someone pee'd then the prices went back to normal. haha
ABKitch
AG
This thread took me back...thanks to all who have posted.

quote:
The Taco Bell on Texas in Bryan that had the "Aggie drive-thru window" where you picked up your order through the passenger side window of your car.

LOVE THIS. I have told people about this drive-thru, and always wondered if I was remembering it correctly or not. Drove-thru for the first time once my fish year, and thought "did I do this wrong???"...ha...such an Aggie thing.

And to add a few to the list...

Never went to either, but I remember hearing about
*Bucky Richardson's Steakhouse
*Big Dogs (had hot oil wrasslin night I believe?)

Also, no one's talking on-campus, but I remember playing basketball in Deware, while the NEW rec center was being constructed...and remember when Deware, Law Hall and Puryear were all torn down.
eloc62
my wife and i used to eat at Captains Seafood all the time. thats where we fell in love with their shrimp diablo. I prefer to grill them and still make it for my wife every mothers day and on her birthday.
Kitten With A Whip
quote:
When and where were the Beetle's BBQs in town? Couls one location have been the place across from Captain's/The Boat/Shipwreck?

Yes, Beetle's BBQ was sort of across from The Boat/Shipwreck. They also had a location on William J. Bryan, downtown, but I'm not sure what is there now.

To whomever mentioned it above - The building where Epicures is was started out as a Luther's Barbecue [chain].
bco2003
AG
quote:
The Rother's on Southgate had all Corps stuff upstairs.

Pretty sure that was Loupots. Is Loupots and the Corps stuff not still there?
Stupe
S
Loupot's is shut down and cleared out.
Stupe
S
quote:
Didn't Hasting's used to be in Culpepper

That thing was about three feet wide and had a small set of steps in the middle. I helped them do inventory one week and I must have seen at least 10 people per day trip on those things.
MiMi
S
The old Hastings in Culpepper had happy hour every Friday evening. They had a keg set up by the front door and you could grab a beer while roaming the music and video selections. I still have my rental card that I got in 1990.
PS3D
Egg Roll House closed in the 1990s? I thought it closed way sooner than that. It was abandoned for years for Jimmy John's, and they didn't even tear down the building.

Also: Epicures Catering opened in the mid-1990s, didn't it? I thought it had closed after the building started to fall apart, but it didn't close until a few years ago. Tiremax just removed the awning and built out a bit, but it's the same building.
acp46
The old Producers, when it was a full blown nursery further north on Texas and across the street.
biobioprof
Before the mall where Petco is now between Holleman and Harvey, I remember Kokopelli southwestern pizza. When Kokopelli went under, the space turned into The Clay Oven, an Indian restaurant run by the family that later ran the Spice Bowl. Clay Oven was much better than Spice Bowl... it had a nice atmosphere and had much better variety and quality. Clay Oven was kicked out to make way for the mall.

Before I arrived, there was another Indian place that was run by a family where the dad was a PhD working as a tech on campus.
PS3D
There were several buildings on Holleman that disappeared in the 1990s, including Tinsley's Chicken N Rolls.
capn-mac
Tinsley's was actually on Texas--it was beside the church there behind PetCo.

Location--after tearing down the Tinsley's--later became a California wood-fired pizza plaze, then an upscale Indian joint, all before being razed for the shopping center.
Brandamne
Barracuda Bar
Hole in the Wall
Gadzooks
Eddie Bauer
Cinnabon in the mall
Mr. Gattys across A&M by Ihop
Lazer Tag by Harry's
PS3D
TJ's Lazer Tag did exist side by side with Harry's, then? So it's The Junction that's in the old space.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.