College Station in the 1990s

151,015 Views | 581 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Anubus
GoneGirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
The Double Dave's where Cake Junkie is now.
We went to that one in HS during the late 80s.

GoneGirl
AG
luddha
I wish we still had Swensen's, Deluxe Burger, and Garcia's. Confucius was great too.
91_Aggie
AG
I never understood the love for Garcia's. it was meh.

AggiePirate
AG
quote:
Bombay Bicycle Club, Black-Eyed Pea, Bennigans were dining options.
As much as I miss it, the food never tasted quite right at Bombay Bicycle Club.
firefly1204
The Elephant from Putt Putt still exists in the area. I think there was a giraffe too? Can't remember but think I may have seen it somewhere but I know exactly where the elephant is.

I remember coming to see a friend for Bonfire either in 1987 or 1988 (she went to A&M, unfortunately I did not). I remember her telling me directions to her dorm and all the land around where I exited, which I think must have been from Hwy. 6 onto Texas Ave. It just seems like there was very little around where I was driving. So different now! I moved here in 1999 and the changes since then are also amazing.
techno-ag
AG
And I'll ride that pony fast
Like a cowboy from the past
Be young and wild free
Like College Station in 1990
Just like College Station in 1990

(Apologies to Radney Foster.)
studioone
i got all of ya'll beat..

i remember when sears was in bryan... townshire shopping center... theres a walmart there now...

i remember when the ONLY toy store was kelly's toy lane....

and keizers krafts and hobbies was the only place in town for model stuff..

all of which were in the same shopping center..

the police station was where the childrens museum USED to be...

buying lumber where old bryan market place is now.. cant remember the name...

the only book store was in downtown bryan

kyle fields second deck was under construction..

walmart was a little store behind the NEW sears in the NEW mall... manor east mall...

and i remember getting sat on Santas lap in the middle of the mall..

i think I'm getting old....

studioone
txelsie... i have some of the original tubular man drawings somewhere.... i was the photo editor of the batt at that time..

techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
As I recall, they used mostly fresh ingredients. May have been why it tasted odd to you.
taxpreparer
AG
How about Piggly Wiggly and KMart at Redmond Terrace, the Circle Drive-in, and U-Totem?
BlueMiles
AG
I miss The Grapevine's salads and twice-baked potatoes.
Goose83
AG
quote:
i got all of ya'll beat..

i remember when sears was in bryan... townshire shopping center... theres a walmart there now...

i remember when the ONLY toy store was kelly's toy lane....

and keizers krafts and hobbies was the only place in town for model stuff..

all of which were in the same shopping center..

the police station was where the childrens museum USED to be...

buying lumber where old bryan market place is now.. cant remember the name...

the only book store was in downtown bryan

kyle fields second deck was under construction..

walmart was a little store behind the NEW sears in the NEW mall... manor east mall...

and i remember getting sat on Santas lap in the middle of the mall..

i think I'm getting old....

The name of the hobby shop in was Keyser's. Spent alot of time down there with my geek friends in the 70's. There was also another hobby shop located at Northgate back in the very early 70's (don't recall the name). In regards to Townshire, it was a happening place back in the 60's, with Stacy's Furniture, Beverly Braley's, Lester's, Sears and a grocery store where the Alpha Graphics place is now. There also used to be a funky Chinese Restaurant (where the pawn shop is now) there as well.

The hardware store located in the Old Bryan Marketplace Building was Central Texas Hardware.

I assume the book store you were referring to Downtown was Colson's Corner, located on the first floor of the Astin Building behind City National Bank (now a Subway).

EVA3
AG
Central Texas Hardware was the best!

A great hardware store and lumberyard. We got our hunting and fishing licenses there every August. And as with many small town hardware stores, they had a wedding registry.
halibut sinclair
quote:

Sears was never in Manor East Mall.
taxpreparer
AG
Wal-Mart was behind Montgomery Ward at Manor East Mall.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
AgDotCom
Interesting thread. A couple of observations based on previous posts:

The "chinese fast food" and grocery at Wellborn / Luther was indeed owned by "Shirley Ping". Except her last name was spelled "Peng".

Interesting that the "Country Grocery" on Dowling Rd. and Rolling Ridge Grocery on North Graham were mentioned in the same post. Interesting, because they were related to each other. Country 4 Grocery was actually the name on Dowling, the "4" representing two husbands and wives, Gene Patterson and wife and Charlie Canatella and wife. Country 4 Grocery was opened in 1982. Several years later, the Canatellas supposedly had a disagreement with their partners and opened Rolling Ridge Grocery to operate by themselves. The BBQ was great at both places, probably because it was cooked similarly.
RV Ag
K Mart was with Lewis&Coker in the shopping area where Goodwill and Tractor Supply are now, roughly at 2818 and Texas. Piggly Wiggly was by Gibson's in Redmond.

taxpreparer
AG
You are correct, what my KMart was a Gibson's. Later Academy took that location before moving out to the bypass.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
As I recall, they used mostly fresh ingredients. May have been why it tasted odd to you.
I like a place that I don't have to worry about refrigerating left overs overnight. Come to think of it I think I was actually thinking of Cycles Etc on Northgate.
rw1987
AG
Tom's BBQ
Fleen
quote:
txelsie... i have some of the original tubular man drawings somewhere.... i was the photo editor of the batt at that time..

Oh really?
Post removed:
by user
PS3D
Kmart occupied the whole strip, with the Piggly Wiggly in the BCS Asian Market strip.
taxpreparer
AG
I must be getting old. You are right again; the "Piggly Wiggly" at Redmond Terrace was a Brookshire Brothers.
UmustBKidding
It was both depending on which year. Brookshires then PW
Post removed:
by user
justcallmeharry
S
quote:
I must be getting old. You are right again; the "Piggly Wiggly" at Redmond Terrace was a Brookshire Brothers.
Getting old with you! Brookshire Bothers back in the 60's and 70's. I think I was away while it was Piggly Wiggly. That was back when the Post Office and Redmond Terrace Drugs were also located there, too. A barber shop, and a couple of other small businesses.

Gibsons on the end and the Aggie Den before it moved to North Gate.
taxpreparer
AG
Aggie Den? Pinball and pool?
91_Aggie
AG
i remember when the bowling alley was in the oft-maligned Chimney Hill.

And Slocum, the city sold Chimney Hill (after paying $9 million for it... which was $4.5 million more than the appraised value) for about $7 million.
Tim Weaver
I often drove between Houston and CS late at night in the 90's. When leaving Houston on 290, your last chance for gas and food was the Love's at the Hockley cut-off. After that there was absolutely NOTHING open at night until you hit Rock Prairie road.

There was also nothing between about 1960 and that Love's. Now there's all kinds of stuff down there.
Drewmeister
AG
Was the 290 bypass between Hempstead and Cypress even open then? I remember driving to Houston in the 90s and having to go through Hempstead, Waller, and Hockley on 290 (the current "Business 290" route). I thought at least one place in Hempstead was open late (the one on the corner where you turn, near the original Lawrence Marshall) but who knows. I also know some of those gas stations on 6 in Navasota existed back then but I don't remember who was open late.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Was the 290 bypass between Hempstead and Cypress even open then? I remember driving to Houston in the 90s and having to go through Hempstead, Waller, and Hockley on 290 (the current "Business 290" route). I thought at least one place in Hempstead was open late (the one on the corner where you turn, near the original Lawrence Marshall) but who knows. I also know some of those gas stations on 6 in Navasota existed back then but I don't remember who was open late.
I remember that too. It seemed to take so long for the "Interstate quality" portion of the highway to open. They'd direct traffic off to what is now "Business 290," but you could get back on the "freeway" portion and drive a few more miles.
ski-man
AG
quote:
I lived in Waller during the 90's & 2000's, and the new 290 opened from Hockley to Hempstead in the late 90's.
Let's go ski-man!
hippin
http://csroadsandretail.blogspot.com/2014/01/something-fowl-at-1037-texas-avenue.html

This website is incredible and goes along with this discussion.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.