College Station in the 1990s

149,313 Views | 581 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Anubus
frito bandito
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Keyser's Hobbies
Tall Pine Model Railroad
Whistles, Wings & Wheels

Aggie
AG
quote:
If I remember right, Oakwood used to be 6th, 7th and 8th, the elementary schools in CS were K-5.

not in the 90's

it was elementary K-4,Oakwood was 5-6 and junior high across from Oakwood and then later on Rock Prairie was 7-8.

I believe once the junior high on rock prairie opened Oakwood was just 5th and 6th went across street
PS3D
Keyser's was in Culpepper, right? It closed maybe in the mid-1990s. I seem to recall it was a bit of a 1970s time warp. Well, I remember some dark place, maybe with some sort of train, that I remember me, my mother, and my grandfather going.

Yeah, the new junior high opened in about 1992 or 1993 (I read in a 2004 yearbook that their mascot was once the "Kittens" but I'm afraid I can't verify that myself), with "Oakwood Middle School" being 5th grade, "Willow Branch Intermediate School" being sixth, and the elementary schools K-4. At the time schools were neighborhood-based, so Rock Prairie and Pebble Creek were all almost exclusively white rich kids, as they were the newest. Other schools were College Hills, South Knoll (which was DARK before the renovation), and Southwood Valley.

In 1999, this all changed when Cypress Grove Intermediate School opened up to 5 and 6 graders. Willow Branch closed for renovations and opened up as "A&M Consolidated Middle School" in 2000 (I think). College Station Junior High was renamed College Station Middle School, and Oakwood renamed to Oakwood Intermediate School and added sixth graders.

During the 1990s, the high school remodeled and expanded as well.

[This message has been edited by PS3D (edited 5/19/2012 8:13p).]
Scotch
AG
Keyser's was in Townshire but someone on a thread at HAIF said it was Kelly's Toylane in Townshire, but I grew up in walking distance of it and I always knew it as Keyser's.
AggiePhil
AG
Didn't Hasting's used to be in Culpepper, right about where Los Cucos is now?
Scotch
AG
Is was where POETS is.
1984Consol
Yes my mom was the book manager of the Hastings in Culpepper Plaza, and she stayed with them through the move to the corner of Holleman. She was book manager of Hastings until 1997 when the company paid to move her here to Tennessee. She stayed with the company until she retired around 2003.

When a business right next to Hastings in Culpepper closed, the space sat vacant for quite awhile. Then Hastings decided to buy the space, the tore out the wall between the two stores, and within a few months, I saw a sign up over that space next to Hastings and the sign said "Hastings....Video" and that was about the time the stores ventured into the video business. I cannot remember what that store used to be. i want to say it was an Excerd, but I think Excerd was on the other side of Hastings..amyone remember what the store was?
frito bandito
Keyser's was in Townshire til the mid 90's; moved to Culpepper. Bill Bennett (owner) sold off his hobby inventory in 1998 (trains went to WWW); moved the guitar business to the shopping center where Golden Corral is.
halibut sinclair
Kelly's toylane was at Townshire after moving from downtown. Later the owners opened Keysers next door. Kelly's closed and then Keysers moved to Culpepper.

[This message has been edited by halibut sinclair (edited 5/20/2012 4:28p).]
capn-mac
Ah, M&N (or maybe M&M) Hobby was in the SWP Kroger complex where Honey Bee Ham is/was.
PS3D
"Honey-B Ham & Deli" was there throughout most of the 1990s (maybe the 1980s you're thinking of?)

I think Taz is there now.
DBSwooper
Honey B Ham had a nice lunch menu. Smoothie King was on that end as well.
PS3D
Oh, Smoothie King. I remember I had some coupon for that place, and the smoothie had some supplement in it. It gave a gritty taste to the smoothie. What's there now?

I forgot to put that in my blog post on the shopping center.
DBSwooper
They're in front of the new HEB at Holleman and Texas. They moved there so they could have a drive through, according to the guy that either owns it or manages it (and was doing the same back in the 90s and early 00's).

PS3D
Remember when CiCi's was in Culpepper Plaza, and it had the black(?) awnings? I remember eating there once or twice, in the days when CiCi's was relatively tasty and probably the best pizza buffet in town that didn't involve arcade games. We never went to DoubleDave's in those days, as the only location I can recall is the one on Northgate.

There was a barbershop in the Zapatos Cantina area for years and years, and one day the barber retired and closed up shop.

What about the old "Camera Center" sign from the Sparks Building (which came down a few years ago for "The Corner" sign) or the days when the George Bush East stoplight had been completed, but G.B. East was a windy two-lane road?
Post removed:
by user
Newbomb_Turk
The Double Dave's at Northgate moved to G. Bush (Jersey) at some point in the early 90s.

The Double Dave's on 29th moved down the road to near Blinn and then moved to its current location in the Bryan Kroger shopping center.
carpe vinum
AG
I think I still have my red global beer expert tshirt somewhere.
DBSwooper
The double daves on northgate was there in 98 when i came to town...i think it moved around 00 or 01
brazosdude100
The Chinese restaurant to the left of On the Border was Hunan Chinese Cuisine. Their balcony was a great place to watch bonfire from. They closed briefly and then reopened as Joy Luck on Harvey Rd behind Fuddruckers. Ownership recently changed but they have kept the menu largely intact.
Post removed:
by user
PS3D
quote:
Much better than Confucius (where Walgreens is now - Texas and Brentwood)

Walgreens replaced TWO Chinese buffets, Imperial Chinese Buffet and Confucius Chinese Cuisine, and no Chinese buffet has -ever- stacked up to CCC, which I believed closed early 2002. Of course, CCC's memories are starting to fade, and I've never tried this Hunan you speak of.
Post removed:
by user
sunshine1
The Lion's Den way south of town. (across from the speedway)
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
"The Double Dave's at Northgate moved to G. Bush (Jersey) at some point in the early 90s."

I may be mistaken, but I believe that there was a location on Northgate (where Schotzi's is now) AND one on Southgate (where Mi Cocina/Los Cucos/whatever) is now both open at the same time.

The one on Southgate closed before the one on Northgate, IIRC.
PS3D
According to Google Maps, both Imperial AND CCC were torn down for Walgreens. The pawn shop is interesting...they moved to the space at Manuel and Texas in the mid-2000s, complete with a huge diamond over the entrance, then they moved back to their old space and the pawn shop was torn down for a bank. Very strange.
Scotch
AG
Imperial did not get torn down for Walgreens, as mentioned above, that part of the strip center is still there as a pawn shop.
The area where China Garden(old Mr Gatti's) was at the corner of Dellwood and Texas in Bryan is now a Walgreens, but I believe China Garden had already been removed for a short-lived gas station/convenience store.
Double Dave's used to be where Zapato's is now on University, then moved down to where Schotzi's is now, then over to George Bush and Texas.
There probably was a DD at Southgate, I just don't remember it well, maybe Mi Cocina replaced it???

[This message has been edited by Scotch (edited 5/23/2012 5:03p).]
PS3D

There were two buildings torn down for the Walgreens, no question about that.

UNLESS, of course, the pawn shop was the one was torn down, and when it moved back it moved into the old Imperial spot. That's what COULD'VE happened, because I swear that Imperial stuck around for at least another year after CCC. Then again, I also seem to recall the pawn shop was built a few years after Walgreens.
Scotch
AG
I remember Imperial in the strip center and Confucius as a stand-alone restaurant. I have no idea what was in between them but there is no doubt in my mind Imperial was in that center. I ate at both many times.
DBSwooper
quote:
Double Dave's used to be where Zapato's is now on University, then moved down to where Schotzi's is now, then over to George Bush and Texas.
There probably was a DD at Southgate, I just don't remember it well, maybe Mi Cocina replaced it???

Yes on the northgate DD history. The southgate location was there until the new Krogers shopping center was built on Rock Prairie. Then it moved there. They even took the same old benched and everything over there. When I was a fish, my buddies and I would walk from the Quad over to that southgate DDs for lunch on the weekends (the ones we had free at least).

I'm trying to say that the northgate DD didn't close down until 2001 or 2002 and it was the one relocated to the new location where Jason's Deli used to be on George Bush and Texas. That was right after Academy built their new location on the bypass and moved out of where Jason's Deli is now.

What I miss is the old drive that was in the parking lot next to Appletree on Texas and Harvey, it connected the parking lot with the one for Sweet Eugenes (at the time Joy Luck was there, but the empty space on the end was a laundry mat). It made getting out of that parking lot a LOT easier. Then again, that was before they redid the Harvey intersection and got rid of the always green southbound light on Texas.
Scotch
AG
I agree with your timeline on the Northgate DD's.
Aggie
AG
Yeah the Northgate DD and the George Bush DD were definatly both opened at the same time. The GB DD was where coco loco is now and MI cocina before that.

The George Bush location moved to Rock Prairie in 1999

[This message has been edited by Aggie (edited 5/23/2012 9:45p).]
Newbomb_Turk
I had a fleeting thought that those 2 DD's were briefly there at the same time, but dismissed it as a "mis-remembering". My bad. T&P for me.
biobioprof
When we arrived in 1992, La Taqueria was already gone, but my first technician talked about it all the time, so it must have closed not long before. That space was a couple of different things before it became La Bodega, but I don't remember the names. It was Italian for a while IIRC.

I remember M&M... it was middle eastern, right? But I remember it also offering chicken fried steak.

I thought the Brazos Brewing Co. on Dominick was a major reconstruction compared to what was there before, and the layout is still mostly the same. Brazos Brewing was started by a bunch of local home brewers, including a prof in plant pathology. When they went under, he wound up storing a lot of kegs in his swimming pool and he would bring beer to faculty parties.

What was the other BBQ place on Texas? Was there another BBQ place across from where Shipwreck is now?
MiMi
S
Was it Buppy's that was across from the Shipwreck location? I remember going there for their BBQ buffet in the mid-90s. I think it is a hair salon now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.