College Station in the 1990s

151,287 Views | 581 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Anubus
Scotch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Double Dave's was in the Zapato's location. They then moved west, maybe where Shotzi's is now, before moving completely out of Northgate.

Someone mentioned Brazos Blue Ribbon on 29th, I know it used to be where Must Be Heaven is at Villa Maria/Briarcrest. There was a previous location but I thought it had been somewhere in College Station, but maybe it was on 29th...
Scotch
AG
I have an old post where I remembered what all was in Redmond Terrace, memory is getting fuzzy now. Here's my best guess now:

From the south-

Loupot's, Academy, Engineering & Office Supply, barber shop, Brown's Shoe Fit, Stacy's Furniture(maybe became the space for) Jason's Deli, Post Office became Copy Corner...
Scotch
AG

[This message has been edited by Scotch (edited 5/9/2012 2:00p).]
aggieann
AG
quote:
I have an old post where I remembered what all was in Redmond Terrace, memory is getting fuzzy now. Here's my best guess now:

From the south-

Loupot's, Academy, Engineering & Office Supply, barber shop, Brown's Shoe Fit, Stacy's Furniture(maybe became the space for) Jason's Deli, Post Office became Copy Corner...

Gibson's was at the far north end when I was growing up.
bcstx06
I remember Texas ave being only 2 lanes each way and a turn in the middle like the Bryan side still is, and University the same. There wasn't a lot of retail or restaurants on University. I remember Tom's BBQ in both Bryan and College Station (but I can't remember where the College Station location was (I remember it was torn down though (too young)). I remember Checkers burgers which was I think where that CVS is at Texas and Southwest Parkway. I remember the only local Chick-fil-A was in Post Oak Mall (until the late 90s when Bryan got one). I remember Weiners in the current Kohl's shopping center and Academy use to be where World Market is.

Old Kuntry Buffet is another memory.

Also remember at the time the best local neighborhoods were:

Pebble Creek in College Station when it opened.
and Cooper Field in Bryan.
starbuck128
AG
quote:
Someone mentioned Brazos Blue Ribbon on 29th, I know it used to be where Must Be Heaven is at Villa Maria/Briarcrest. There was a previous location but I thought it had been somewhere in College Station, but maybe it was on 29th...

I think that person mixed up the Bryan streets. That intersection has always confused me.

Brazos Blue Ribbon was in CS before it moved to the Villa Maria/Briarcrest location. It had a little space behind where Peas in a Pod learning center on 2818 is now, I think. (Near SWV Animal Hospital.) Or it was a nearby building.
PS3D
Yeah, BBR was at Villa Maria and Briarcrest. Thank god they timed the lights correctly about a year ago, that was aggravating.

Old Country Buffet, Paradise Scuba, and the firearms place were all in that northside plaza.

There was a CarePlus in Bryan (at that shopping center, before it was torn down) and College Station (where Gold's Gym is now).

And the old McDonald's at that same intersection with that sorry excuse for a playground. It was some wooden spaceship-like thing.
Diamond Geezer
The Double Dave's where Cake Junkie is now.
bcstx06
I thought Brazos Blue Ribbon was started where Must Be Heaven in Bryan is now then to where Blue Baker is now. Then I thought it evolved into Blue Baker? No?
PS3D
I'm pretty sure that BBR did move to Dominik, but I don't know if it "morphed" into Blue Baker. I don't think it did. Different businesses.
1984Consol
Marooned Records in Northgate and Disc-Go Round across the street. I remember getting Remix CD's of The Cure and also of Depeche Mode at Marooned. Hard to find 12 inch singles could be ordered at Marooned.I would buy used mainstream CD's at Disc-Go-Round.

Where Fuddruckers is now, didnt that used to be JJ Muggs? Speaking of Fuddruckers, I remmeber that strip center. JT McCords was in that strip center and I think there was more of the center where it looks like a Walgreens stands now? Not much across the street except Luther's BBQ.

I remember the whole broo-haha with the Munsonites. They wanted their road to be one way so the city just put up a sign on one side of the road that said "road closed" but you could still get through just one direction only.

The Red Lobster on Texas avenue didnt have much of anything around it, not like the area is today. There was a Mobil gas station close to that red Lobster.

And, of course, who could forget Archie's 39 cent hamburgers in Woodstone? I would buy a sackfull of those things! ( this might be 80s though not 90s I dont remember)

Also, in the 90s, wasnt there a mexican restaurant in Northgate called Two Pesos? 99 cent gold margaritas

Karoake at Chelsea Street Pub in Post Oak Mall, Bullwinkles (bad karaoke) and at Burton Creek Pub.

There used to be a CD place in the Kroger strip center at SW and Texas. I got alot of Razormaid! CD's there. I want to say ti was CD Exchange or CD warehouse? who remembers it?

I was a bagboy at Randall's when they first opened up. KBTX was looking for someone to interview for the 6 pm news when the place first opened, and the reporter just put the mic in my face and started talking to me> i think I said something about the convenience of the place being so close to A&M or something like that...I also was a busser at the BlackEyed Pea when they first opened but I got fired withn a few hours of opening because it was just so busy and I was too overwhelmed

[This message has been edited by 1984Consol (edited 5/9/2012 7:46p).]
MiMi
S
The place that is now Blue Baker on Dominik was originally Brazos Brewing Company. I had my bachelorette party there in 1995 and still have one of their T-shirts. It was a couple of other restaurants before it became Blue Baker.
bcstx06
I remember the Fuddruckers location being a family owned Mexican restaurant. Am I totally off on memory? I even forget now where Fuddruckers was before they moved to that location.
1984Consol
Fudd's used to be in the strip center just past the Kroger strip center at SW and Texas. it was on the end, right across the street from Luther;s BBQ which I think became Epicures. There is a Comfort Suites in that area now on the same side of Texas Ave as Epicures.
betas2000
AG
What about the burger joint at the old blinn college campus on texas ave?
Nom de Plume
AG
Garcias
Nom de Plume
AG
Dogs N Such
Aggie
AG
Pops BBQ and Fort Shiloh EOT.
Also from the late 80's to thru the 90's it was a great time for sports in College Station.
1988, 1989, 1993 and 1999 A&M baseball teams all won 50+ games with the 93 and 99 teams going to Omaha.
A&M football won SWC conference titles in 91,92,93,*94,. Won Big 12 south titles in '97 and '98 and won Big 12 in 1998. Was a perennial top 10 program in the early 90's.
A&M Consolidated was the best HS program in the state in the early 90's advancing to 3 state title games in a 4 year span winning the 1991 state title.Consol was the 1st UIL team in history to win 14 games four consecutive seasons and advance to at least the semifinals four consecutive seasons.
The Dallas Cowboys were the best team in football winning 3 super Bowl titles.
And the the Astros won 3 consecutive division titles in the late 90's, and the Oilers were still playing.
The 90's was a great decade of sports for many in college station.
Scotch
AG
quote:
The place that is now Blue Baker on Dominik was originally Brazos Brewing Company. I had my bachelorette party there in 1995 and still have one of their T-shirts. It was a couple of other restaurants before it became Blue Baker.
Before it was a brewing company, it was a Texas Aggie Book Store. Before that, it was a casual dining place with awesome stained glass lampshades over the tables. I think the name was something like Sarge's, but don't really remember.
Barry Potter 09
Mazzios Pizza, Appletree, Rock Prairie road stopping at Rock Prairie Elementary School, Gattiland in Bryan, HEB Pantry where current Gattitown is, Long John Silvers in CS, Putt Putt Golf, Willow Branch Intermediate School

Garcias was legit.

Oh yeah, practically no street construction on Texas Avenue.
Kitten With A Whip
quote:
Before it was a brewing company, it was a Texas Aggie Book Store. Before that, it was a casual dining place with awesome stained glass lampshades over the tables. I think the name was something like Sarge's, but don't really remember.

Before all of those, it was a burger/sandwich shop called Danver's. My parents loved that place. It had a drive-thru and they loved the iced tea there.

Also - The chinese food place on Wellborn was actually a convenience store with a chinese fast food kitchen off to the side. They had excellent food and there was always a line of people waiting for food, but well worth it. Howard, who was the son of the owners, was hilarious and a really sweet guy. They later closed up shop and opened Confucius on Texas@Brentwood. I loved that place and still miss it! They had a really good buffet. My Mom and I went there often!
Joe Nobody
Computer Access
Snuffers
Wolfe's Nursery
Carrie's Stacked Enchiladas
Par 3 golf course

[This message has been edited by Joe Nobody (edited 5/9/2012 10:20p).]
PS3D
^^^ Do you mean Wolf Pen Nursery?

Also, Kerri's Stacked Enchiladas came later (~2005)
threecatcorner
I definitely miss Marooned Records. That was the best place I found my freshman year (1991-1992). I got a few giant posters to cover up big portions of the hideous dorm walls (think they were brick, painted white, and the closet doors were a gross 70's shade of green). It was also a great place to find new music (got some cheap used CDs and tapes), and they'd order import CDs without charging a bunch if money. They also used to post local concert info, and Information Society had a CD signing there my sophomore or junior year.

I also miss there being a grocery store near campus. It was a few different ones when I was at A&M.

Amtrak passenger service to Dallas is also definitely missed. It seriously ticked me off when they decided to switch it to the most worthless schedule ever so they could get rid of it.
australopithecus robustus

[This message has been edited by australopithecus robustus (edited 5/10/2012 3:32a).]

[This message has been edited by australopithecus robustus (edited 5/10/2012 10:35a).]
MisterShipWreck
I liked MaroonRecords too. He could get out of print CDs. He had a giant catalog. Even got stuff from Europe if that was the only place that had what ya wanted
PS3D
Where was Marooned Records, anyway? Northgate? In the ~2004 city annual report, roughly where Holick's or Antonio's would be, there was a big sign for...something.
DBSwooper
It was at the end of that strip, where the sushi place used to be. That was next to the dry cleaners, which was next to Sarges, which was next to the barber shop which was next to the CSPD substation.

In 1998 when I moved here, they had some really hard to get DVDs for sale, which was great.
Clucky
Actually Marooned was on the other side of the street, (I'm pretty sure)- You're thinking of Disc-Go -Round.

Other errors in this thread:

Care plus was not where Golds is now, it was right on the corner of SW Parkway and Texas.

JJ Muggs is where Imperial was, which is now a Pawn Shop

I don't think there was a Luby's in the mall - I think it was Wyatt's.

Condom Station wasn't where Hookah station is now, it was a few doors down.

Of course, I could be completely wrong on all of this.
MiMi
S
quote:
I don't think there was a Luby's in the mall - I think it was Wyatt's

That location was both cafeterias. I think it was Wyatt's before it was Luby's.
SoftballGirl
quote:
Dogs N Such

They were first called Dogs N Suds and then later changed to Dogs N Such. They had HUGE breakfast burritos!
Clucky
Fireman's Breakfast burrito!
PS3D
I'm pretty sure that Wyatt's predated Luby's...I have some old directories from that time where Luby's disappeared from the list circa 1998 or so.

Condom Station not being at Hookah Station's space makes Station a lot of sense, because I'm pretty sure that was where Holick's still was.
Anonymous Source
S
quote:
JJ Muggs is where Imperial was, which is now a Pawn Shop

This is incorrect. JT McCord's was where Imperial was, and is now a pawn shop.

Gig 'Em
1984Consol
Marooned Records was where V Bar is now. Disc Go Round was directly across the street, which looks like a sushi place now in google maps...
The CD place I was thinking of in the Kroger center I am pretty sure was called CD Exchange, though I'm still not positive on that. I think that space later became half price books, but that was after we left CS so I am just speculating since I cant see it clear on google maps

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.