College Station in the 1990s

149,310 Views | 581 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Anubus
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I wanted to create a discussion topic about College Station in the 1990s, so this topic focuses on that.

Let's see...

- I remember when the stoplight was added at Houston and George Bush. Seems like they didn't change the signage on that one until this month or last.
- The '96 Olympics Torch relay went through College Station (srsly), down Anderson (and maybe elsewhere)
- The blinking light at FM 2818 and Wellborn (no one called it Harvey Mitchell, that came in 1999)
- The high school pre-renovation. I remember that the windows were all boarded up, and the whole thing was white (resembling that other wing where the Ag Tech stuff is)
- The Exxon and McDonald's at Greens Prairie. That seemed way out of town at the time.
- The old Kroger decor (SW Parkway and Texas Avenue)
- The ditches and the trees at that intersection.
- That Chinese place at Luther and Texas. Some people say it was Shirley Ping's, but I don't think it was.
- Randall's. Never went inside of it.
- Shadow Canyon at Northgate.
- The abandoned Pooh's Park sign

Anything else you want to add?
Clucky
Texas and Luther don't intersect, at least I'm pretty sure they don't. Probably thinking of confucious at TX and Brentwood. That place was great.
rhoswen
AG
for some reason, I always think of the Zip'N at the corner of GB and Texas, where Panda Express is now. Don't know why, cuz I never went in there.
The Mad Greek
yeah the owner would go around to tables doing magic tricks IIRC
betas2000
AG
Tom's barbecue on butcher paper! Corner of Holleman and Texas!
dachsie
I remember when Brueggers Bagels came to town and then when they left. And the Home Depot, Petsmart, Cheddars, etc area was a field and trees.
csagyo
The city dump used to sit where the park on rock prairie and rio grande is at.

Used to shoot rats there with my pellet gun.
csagyo
That was in the 80's I think now. damn getting old.
PS3D
Whoops, I meant Wellborn and Luther, where the thrift store is. And I do miss Confucius Chinese Cuisine. And such a cool building, too!

[This message has been edited by PS3D (edited 5/8/2012 3:44p).]
SARATOGA
I remember going way, way out of town to drop a package at a Fed Ex Center on Barron Road (mostly dirt)

+1 for Tom's BBQ on Texas and Holleman.

Those were the good ol days my friends !
PS3D
And, of course, I miss Lot 95 and 96...the dirt parking lots between Wellborn and the railroad. Walking to Kyle Field was a snap in those days. There was the "Rainbow Bridge" and its own "wall of gum", the water tower of A&M, which was painted a "sickly chlorine green" color. I also remember the old library, located in the strip center next to Brown Shoe Store. Bruegger's was next to AppleTree (or at least in that shopping center), right?

[This message has been edited by PS3D (edited 5/8/2012 3:50p).]
csagyo
confuscious was the shizz!!
FincAg
AG
Red Line on Texas across from Kroger.
PS3D
Was Red Line the hamburger place (red building) that's now Sammy car wash? I vaguely remember it (after it was boarded up, though)
MiMi
S
The convenience store at the corner of Longmire and Deacon. I don't remember the name - Kerry's Corner Store or something similar.

I miss the El Chico at Texas and Holleman. I think it was a bar before El Chico was built.

Toms BBQ, when it was located where J. Cody's is now.

The corner of Texas and Holleman where Target is now was just a field.

K-Mart across the street from WalMart.

Taking the Amtrak passenger train back to CS from Dallas.

I remember the HUGE deal it was when Cinemark opened and when there were other choices in CS to go to the movies.

The CS library was in the strip mall across from the cemetery and Ft. Shiloh.

Bombay Bicycle Club, Black-Eyed Pea, Bennigans were dining options.
FincAg
AG
Nothing was on Rock Prairie Road but the Columbia Hospital, Wells Fargo, Exxon and the schools.
Diamond Geezer
What was the name of the chinese food restaurant that was in the complex to the left of where On the Border now stands?
FincAg
AG
Yes PS3D
TKDMom
quote:
Whoops, I meant Wellborn and Luther, where the thrift store is. And I do miss Confucius Chinese Cuisine. And such a cool building, too!

The one at the corner of Luther and Wellborn was just called "Chinese Fast Food" they had a big yellow sign out front. Tiny little place but some of the best fried rice I've ever had.

The Mad Greek
That wasn't rice
txnaggie98
AG
Bullwinkles in the strip center where Kohl's is located.
beefly95
Thai Taste.... *sigh*
PS3D
Bennigan's didn't close all that long time ago. Up until 2009, it was there in that shopping center. Then the parent company basically collapsed and everything closed. But Black Eyed Pea? That's a while back. It had better food and likely cleaner health standards than the place now...
PS3D
I also remember that every year for my brother's birthday, he went to TJ's Lazer Tag in the University Square shopping center. It closed circa 1998-1999, and I never got to go...
Jennico
How about The Christmas Store on Harvey, then it was Sneakers, then torn down. When Copy Corner took over the post office on the corner of Jersey and Texas behind Zip'n, all gone now!! Fort Shilo Steak House was at the south END of Texas. The first cell phone company was a small office in the Lack's center owned by Ben Bailey. Post office in the MSC. Bonfire on Jersey St. ...... Good days
FincAg
AG
Popabilities snow cones @ 6 and Rock Prairie
PS3D
There was "Joe's Used Books" at the corner of Jersey/George Bush and Texas. It was roughly where the ramp is.

And Academy with its "bait bar" in the same shopping center. Burdett & Son's, Kolache Rolf's, too. I think Jason's Deli was in the other side of the plaza. It was the only business that kept going through the re-development.
aggieapartment
Swenson's sandwich shop and ice cream parlor, where the UPS store is now.

Fuddruckers was Garcia's. Great queso there.

Putt Putt Golf, with a real live fake elephant where the scuba shop is now.

Kmart building was empty at texas and 2818.

Rock Prairie exit was just before Rock Prairie.

Further south, they once showed movies in the theater behind the Tejas Center.
PS3D
- The old way the frontage roads and exits were set up south of Texas Avenue.

- The stoplight at North Graham and Wellborn. It seemed like it was the farthest stoplight south at the time (unless Greens Prairie and SH 6 had stoplights)

- The opening of Scott & White's *new* clinic

- Wal-Mart's first renovation.

- Watching Hastings get built.
Jennico
PS3... Joe's Used Books rented the building from Copy Corner whom rented it from the US postal service in 1987... I know since I was one of the founders of Copy Corner. But here is a great memory, when Hastings gave free beer on Keg Fridays!!! That was fun!
doubledog
Early 1990's I used to jog down Longmire from Rock Prairie to Deacon middle of the day no traffic.
DBSwooper
That old Zip-N on the corner of GB and Texas, my outfit used to have carwash fundraisers there.

Double Daves at the end of Northgate (west end).

When the second Freebirds opened in CS, we were rich with Freebirds!

Took my first date in college to Swensens for ice cream after the movies. Appletree at Texas and Harvey had the best keg prices. There was a laundry mat in the same strip mall as Sweet Eugenes, at the end, that later became some sort of computer gaming/LAN party place.

Muscle Tech was a sports supplement store, near Eckards in the Apple Tree strip center. The owner was a fitness competitor whose husband was in the military and attending A&M. She was always

Coach's Liquor was on Southgate and had the best prices in town.

Cow Hop.

The only Starbucks coffee available in town was in the cafe in the new Barnes and Noble.

The old Cheveron at University and Texas that was a gas station WITH a mechanic and 2-bay garage.
AgDiehard
S
quote:
How about The Christmas Store on Harvey, then it was Sneakers

Popabilities snow cones @ 6 and Rock Prairie

Swenson's sandwich shop and ice cream parlor, where the UPS store is now.

These three were great!!

Sneakers was a great place to play some volleyball.

Popabilities was also on 29th St strip center.

And Swensen's FTW!! That place was just great. I wish that place would have survived. It would be nice to have somewhere to go like that - modeled after an old timey soda/ice cream shop. ALL kinds of sundaes, etc.
AgDiehard
S
Wasn't the Christmas Store owned by Red Cashion?? (First Dowwwwwwnnnn!!!!)
acp46
Moved here in 1991. Only thing I miss from the 90s are Randy Sims BBQ, and the old Cafe Eccel and Taqueria when good old Donny ran them. Town has much improved.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.