Outdoors
Sponsored by

2022 Western Hunting Thread

47,331 Views | 496 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TH36
Todd 02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm the last person that should be starting this thread, but I hadn't seen it pop up yet. For a decade now I've told myself "This is the year I do it."

Well, once again...THIS IS THE YEAR! I'll be 42 this year. Not getting any younger. I've always said I wasn't in good enough shape. Wife and I started working out and eating right in 2021 and I finally feel like I'm training right for a mountain hunt.

A few application deadlines are closing in:

(Image from Free Range American)

Previous years' threads:
2021 Big Game Draw Deadlines
2020 Western States Draw Deadlines
2019 Western States Draw Deadlines
2018 Western States Draw Deadlines
Western States Draw Deadlines: 2017

Western Hunting Advice for Beginner

Looking forward to the discussion and learning as much as I can.

LET'S DO THIS!
ttha_aggie_09
AgEng06
AG
Weeeeee doggies...
chocolatelabs
AG
Wish i would've started accumulating preference points in AZ years ago, but guess i can start now.
HouAg12
AG
In
LRHF
AG
Let's Roll!
ArmaLite
Got an Idaho Elk tag this year. Their new system for out of state people is insane.
phorizt
I'm going to start applying this year too. Mainly going to focus on NM archery draws. I've never hunted or applied for any of these before. Was supposed to go on my first otc diy elk hunt this past season but my son got covid the week I was going to leave so that got derailed.
lazuras_dc
AG
cgary11
AG
Where is the best place for a first time mule deer public land hunt?
harge57
AG
44mAG
AG
I'm out of the game this year besides building points. Selling our home this Spring then building our forever home this Summer and Fall. Zero money to spare this year.
arrow
AG
In!
98Ag99Grad
AG
not on the list but I'll be in Alaska in August for a Dall Sheep/Caribou hunt. Hopefully 7 months from now I have a trip report with lots of photos and a great story.
arrow
AG
Very nice! I can't wait for ram pics!

I'm in for a moose hunt in the Yukon. So my applications/draw strategy will be pretty straight forward this year.
tlh3842
AG
I've been wanting to do something for awhile, finally going to push to find a pronghorn hunt somewhere within (reasonable) driving distance of Houston.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Looks like a point building year for me but am looking forward to all the trip reports, advice, and gear recommendations normally shared on here. Not ruling out a trip but I've got nothing planned and am in no man's land for most tags...

Good luck everyone!
mneisch
AG
I think this will be the first year in a while where I don't get out of state. Will be building points in Colorado and potentially expanding to some other states as well. Looking to do a private land pronghorn hunt with my dad in the Texas panhandle. He is still recovering from a bad case of flesh eating bateria, so this would be something to get him outdoors without too much physical strain. If anyone gets a lead on a landowner tag, I'm all ears. Otherwise I will wait until TPWD publishes the list.

TexasAg2017
AG
tlh3842 said:

I've been wanting to do something for awhile, finally going to push to find a pronghorn hunt somewhere within (reasonable) driving distance of Houston.
I too am looking at pronghorn. Don't mind the drive though. If you need someone to tag along and help keep me in mind!
stdeb11
AG
FYI check AZ bonus points. Mine were wrong. Called an office today and they out in a work order to correct. Just a heads up to check before the app rush.
agenjake
Probably a points building year for me. Pronghorn, elk, deer in WY. But, I think we're headed up for some fly fishing this summer.
bigF
AG
I have an Eastern Plains Colorado mule deer hunt booked for this fall. Was on a 3 year wait with the outfitter. Also going to keep trying to draw in New Mexico. Point banking Wyoming.
AggieJames09
AG
I'm in! Banking on drawing Wyoming Archery Elk. Kinda researching an October or late season Muley hunt. Have points all over I need to start burning.
Sully Dog
2022 couldn't be worse than 2021. Here we go.
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
Sully Dog
cgary11 said:

Where is the best place for a first time mule deer public land hunt?

Central Montana. Pretty reliable draw odds and decent animals. Wyoming used to be that way, but there are way too many non-residence hunting there lately.

Nevada, Arizona and Eastern Oregon have great trophies, but the draw odds can be hard.
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
Goodest Poster
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

not on the list but I'll be in Alaska in August for a Dall Sheep/Caribou hunt. Hopefully 7 months from now I have a trip report with lots of photos and a great story.

Caribou will be easy...borderline self defense. Dall will be awesome to hear about. Train hard!!
Always the most goodest
AgDad121619
AG
Looking hard at applying for both NM and Wyoming elk hunts with my son. Do either states have concurrent open seasons/ OTC tags that allow someone hunting without an elk tag to still be able to hunt? Assuming there are upland bird tags like Colorado has depending on when the drawn elk tag is good for.

Our plan is to apply for these tags which have relatively low odds and hunt archery OTC if we aren't successful.
McInnis
AG
AgDad121619 said:

Looking hard at applying for both NM and Wyoming elk hunts with my son. Do either states have concurrent open seasons/ OTC tags that allow someone hunting without an elk tag to still be able to hunt? Assuming there are upland bird tags like Colorado has depending on when the drawn elk tag is good for.

Our plan is to apply for these tags which have relatively low odds and hunt archery OTC if we aren't successful.
I might not be understanding your question right but Wyoming doesn't sell OTC tags to non-residents. But if you draw an elk tag for a rifle season then you can hunt during archery season by buying an additional archery tag.
AgDad121619
AG
I meant can you buy a bear tag , deer tag etc OTC. Or are all of those draw tags?

And in Wyoming, are the reduced antlerless elk tags usable during the general rifle season or is it a special season?
McInnis
AG
Only residents can buy OTC tags for areas open to general licenses for big game. You can still get a general license but have to apply by Jan 21.
AgDad121619
AG
McInnis said:

Only residents can buy OTC tags for areas open to general licenses for big game. You can still get a general license but have to apply by Jan 21.
Thanks
McInnis
AG
I see I had an error in my post. The deadline is Jan. 31, not 21. Sorry about that.
AggieJames09
AG
Great Hunt at the Devils River Aoudad Hunt. My hunting partner and I both were able to get Rams. We found probably 50 sheep in our unit, hiked roughly 20 miles in 3 days. Met fellow Aggie, Doug out there. It was an awesome experience and the staff does a great job putting it on. Beautiful Rough Country. Swipe on insta link below for some pics of the trip. Hope it doesn't take me another 23 years to draw.

https://instagr.am/p/CZFe9ZwpkW2
stdeb11
AG
Awesome! Congrats!
cledus6150
AG
It was great to meet yall, the hunt was awesome the staff was great and the terrain rough but beutiful! I didnt end up getting a ram but did my part in removing some Ewes from the SNA to preserve the hieroglyphs! In total I shot 11 Aoudad mostly on one ridge, fingers crossed i get drawn again in my lifetime!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.