Outdoors
Sponsored by

2022 Western Hunting Thread

47,578 Views | 496 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TH36
TX_COWDOC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Boom. Going muley hunting!
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
Ag97
AG
Drew an elk tag for 16C in October. Been muley hunting in that unit my entire life but never put in for elk till this year. Seems like we always see more elk than deer in that unit. Looks like I get an excuse to buy a new rifle as well.
AgEng06
AG
Dang, that should be a great hunt!
DG96
AG
I must be on New Mexico's no fly list. I never draw crap there and my last choice is usually a 50/50 chance to draw.
Todd 02
AG
TX_COWDOC said:

Boom. Going muley hunting!
Ditto!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Congratulations!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Heck yeah!
AgEng06
AG
Congrats bud!
Martin87
AG
16c is a really good unit. I keep trying for 16A bull. No luck yet.
AG_2006
AG
My coworker drew 16B, 9/1-9/14, archery. Lucky dog!

(I was unsuccessful, ugh)

Any archery guides he should consider, if he wants to take advantage of this rare non-res draw opportunity and not go DIY?
Sully Dog
Credible Source said:

I did, is this good news for me? Or is it a six fold increase in requests for Elk tags?
The announcement was made well after the deadline for applications.

Looks like good news.
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
aggie0959
Myself and 2 of my Tarleton buddies drew unit 24 mule deer
Sully Dog
Was in Wyoming last week again. Probably the most mule deer I have ever seen on the property.

We had a very light winter at my place and my BiL is reporting the same. With the drought I don't know that you will be seeing big racks, but there should be plenty of oppurtunities to hunt.
Martin87
AG
AG_2006 said:

My coworker drew 16B, 9/1-9/14, archery. Lucky dog!

(I was unsuccessful, ugh)

Any archery guides he should consider, if he wants to take advantage of this rare non-res draw opportunity and not go DIY?
Post here also...San Francisco River Outfitters are great and 16B is their backyard.
O.G.
No Elk Tag in NM for me this year. I do have a cow hunt on private land as a back up.
AgLA06
AG
O.G. said:

No Elk Tag in NM for me this year. I do have a cow hunt on private land as a back up.
If anyone knows of something like this that isn't crazy expensive compared to a normal tag cost, please let me know. Looks like NM draw tags are about $360 for a cow.

I'm just looking for meat and maybe a chance to have my 7 year old tag along.
Log
AG
Drew Unit 37 muley again, right before Thanksgiving.
AgLA06
AG
Log said:

Drew Unit 37 muley again, right before Thanksgiving.
Capitan Mountains?
Log
AG
Either there are farther east in the high desert.
Martin87
AG
I am told that you can start searching facebook for:

New Mexico Elk Hunters

Or

New Mexico Hunting

Cow tags, I am told, are regularly posted in those types of NM Hunting groups for about $1K or so.

Not quite $360, but then again, its not a draw.
Track&Recover
I didn't draw Elk or Mule Deer NM this year, nor last. I also whiffed on Montana general combo license for the second year in a row. Hopefully Colorado will bail me out.
BradMtn346
So Colorado sheep and goat results are up. Anyone get lucky?

I got to hunt goat last year. A buddy and his son came with me. They are both part mountain goat, so obviously they kicked my butt on the mountain. I got my goat and it was mostly thanks to them. This year, with 3 points and zero weighted, the son pulled a nanny tag for the same area. Karma can be a *****, but it works the other way too. Looking forward to watching this young man get his first goat. Now, I'll be 300 yards behind him the whole time sucking wind, but it will still be fun.

B and I with my goat:
https://imgur.com/a/DhTjTQy
cupofjoe04
AG
I got my sheep point. Looking to get on a ewe next year or the year after. Shouldn't be an issue drawing, as long as I can get my legs healed enough to get back where I want to go…
Hoyt Ag
AG
I got 16c in October . Not sure I will make it.

Got my sheep point too.

I blocked off all of September for my own hunting for elk but my outfitter sent me my proposed schedule to guide. FML. This fall is going to kill me physically.
stdeb11
AG
Congrats! That's awesome and I'm will be a great hunt. Excited to hear about it.

I didn't get lucky on either. I do love the weight points draw, nothing like looking at past results or hearing stories like this to think "maybe this year".
BullSprig07
AG
Anyone else apply for Wyoming Elk General tag? My name is in the hat and I should draw, but don't actually have a partner or plan set right now. Have until May 8 to withdraw application.

If I go I'm going rifle
Water Turkey07
Sully Dog
BullSprig07 said:

Anyone else apply for Wyoming Elk General tag? My name is in the hat and I should draw, but don't actually have a partner or plan set right now. Have until May 8 to withdraw application.

If I go I'm going rifle
I'm a half time resident of Wyoming. I put in for units 84 and 85 but not sure when I will be hunting.

ETA: If schedules align I would be happy to help
Sully Dog
BradMtn346 said:

So Colorado sheep and goat results are up. Anyone get lucky?

I got to hunt goat last year. A buddy and his son came with me. They are both part mountain goat, so obviously they kicked my butt on the mountain. I got my goat and it was mostly thanks to them. This year, with 3 points and zero weighted, the son pulled a nanny tag for the same area. Karma can be a *****, but it works the other way too. Looking forward to watching this young man get his first goat. Now, I'll be 300 yards behind him the whole time sucking wind, but it will still be fun.

B and I with my goat:
https://imgur.com/a/DhTjTQy
What a fantastic goat. Congrats.
Sully Dog
I thought I would post a break down of the water situation in the West since I spent all winter complaining about the drought.

For those that haven't followed spring has been expceptionally wet this year for the Northern Rockies and may actually yield good antlers and growth. With another series of storms coming in the next 7 or the next 10 days these numbers are expected to increase.

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/wcc/home/

Hoyt Ag
AG
Same here. If you need a tag along to help I may be available.
Sully Dog
What did you apply for?
cupofjoe04
AG
Sully Dog said:

I thought I would post a break down of the water situation in the West since I spent all winter complaining about the drought.

For those that haven't followed spring has been expceptionally wet this year for the Northern Rockies and may actually yield good antlers and growth. With another series of storms coming in the next 7 or the next 10 days these numbers are expected to increase.

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/wcc/home/

Great news for the northern parts!

I haven't looked it up, but I feel like it's going to be a dry year here down south. Just had our first good forest fire nearby, and smoke filled the air yesterday. I don't know for sure, I'm guessing it's going to be a long summer here.

The good news is there is lots of green up high, and I've seen quite a few elk higher and earlier than normal. They will find the groceries.
Sully Dog
BradMtn346
cupofjoe04 said:

I got my sheep point. Looking to get on a ewe next year or the year after. Shouldn't be an issue drawing, as long as I can get my legs healed enough to get back where I want to go…

Are you going back to S16?
cupofjoe04
AG
BradMtn346 said:

cupofjoe04 said:

Are you going back to S16?

Good memory!

That is my initial idea. I know a couple areas that hold some ewes in S15. But the accessible areas are bisected by a highway, and I see the sheep much more randomly.

I really like the amount of public land in S16 that has sheep consistently. And I know a great area that holds ewes and lambs very consistently. It's just a REALLY LONG hike up there. Your reward for an exhausting pack in is some absolutely brutal terrain to ascend each morning. Like, I'm tired just thinking about it while typing this…

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.