Outdoors
Sponsored by

2022 Western Hunting Thread

47,575 Views | 496 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TH36
lazuras_dc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got my shoulder mount in from first archery last September. I hope it stays for two reasons:
1. My lag bolt holds
2. When my wife sees it
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Quote:

2. When my wife sees it
Todd 02
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Quote:

2. When my wife sees it

If it turns her on as much as it does me, he's in for a real treat!
BigHead 04
AG
Am I correct in assuming it is hopeless to apply in Wyoming without any points? Definitely useless for general tag right? Am I missing something?
I'm sort of new to the western stuff so help is appreciated
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TX_COWDOC
AG
I'm due to hunt Western Wyoming (Region G) this fall. I'm concerned about the drought and wondering if I should hold off another year or 2. Antlers were not as good in 2021. Expecting same for 2022.

13 points on the line.

www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
arrow
AG
BigHead 04 said:

Am I correct in assuming it is hopeless to apply in Wyoming without any points? Definitely useless for general tag right? Am I missing something?
You can get an elk tag in Wyoming with 0 points.
Wyoming doesn't use a true preference point system, so it can get confusing.
For elk:
16% of tags go to non-residents.
60% of those go to the regular draw. 40% to special. Of both regular and special, 25% are randomly allocated.

Also, since Wyoming averages points in group applications, you could apply with guys that have some points to help you out. A lot of outfitters use this strategy.

BigHead 04
AG
arrow said:

BigHead 04 said:

For elk:
60% of those go to the regular draw. 40% to special. Of both regular and special, 25% are randomly allocated.

Also, since Wyoming averages points in group applications, you could apply with guys that have some points to help you out. A lot of outfitters use this strategy.

I guess my confusion comes when looking at the draw odds. It makes it seem like you have a 0% chance for a general tag with no points, then 100% with >3 points. I must be reading it incorrectly.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
harge57
AG
BigHead 04 said:

arrow said:

BigHead 04 said:

For elk:

I guess my confusion comes when looking at the draw odds. It makes it seem like you have a 0% chance for a general tag with no points, then 100% with >3 points. I must be reading it incorrectly.

You will likely need 4 points this year for 100% odds. You will basically have the random draw odds with less than that amount of points which will likely be ~7%.
BigHead 04
AG
Ok thanks!
JFABNRGR
AG
BigHead 04 said:

Wyoming is tuff for NRs, Montana is easy though.
“You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me.”
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn
BCO07
AG
This is something that I want to try to get in to, but dont really understand all the details. Are you paying for a tag every year with hope of being drawn or are you just buying a hunting license and pay for the tag if you are drawn?If you get drawn, but for whatever reason cant go do you just keep your points and hope to be drawn again the next year? Are you basically dropping a couple hundred bucks a year to get into the draw in a few states and sit back a few years knowing that you wont be drawn?
arrow
AG
Every state is different. And some species within a specific state will be handled differently.

For example, New Mexico, there is no point system. You pay a non-refundable application fee plus the cost of the tag you are applying for. After the draw, you will be refunded the cost of the tag if you are unsuccessful. New Mexico is the simplest to explain.

Same goes for turning in tags. Each state is different and it isn't always possible. Last year I turned in a Colorado deer tag. I had the option of a refund or have my points reinstated. Can't have both.

You might search for some of Randy Newburg's draw strategy videos. There are lots of other free articles out there describing each state application.

I'm sure others will add to this. Or, if you have questions regarding a specific state, we can dive in.

AgDad121619
AG
Started a thread on a handgun for carrying while bow hunting a month back. Decided on 10 mm SA XDM. What do y'all recommend for holster while backpacking. I like the chest holsters I've seen but seems like it would get in the way of a Bino harness. Recommendations for a good holster that works with a backpacking belt.
Post removed:
by user
AgDad121619
AG
jayelbee said:

I'm going in on the western game this year for real. I think I may target a public land WY antelope, and will probably look at getting an elk hunt with a friend.
found this a few years back. Great article for deciding where to apply in Wyoming for antelope

http://www.n4thehunt.com/2013/01/30/wyoming-diy-antelope-hunt-part-3-hunt-areas-and-public-access/
Post removed:
by user
AgDad121619
AG
jayelbee said:

Sweet, thanks. Looks like he's got several posts, so I'll go through and read through all of them.
he has a part 1 and 2 as well if you want to search for that.
Post removed:
by user
hbc07
AG
I guess I need to decide in hte next few hours if I'm going to apply for Wyoming elk this year (which would likely be a solo trip due to learning last year that my hunter partner's trip expectations didn't quite match with mine)
[url]http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com[/url]
BullSprig07
AG
nm
Water Turkey07
BullSprig07
AG
I'm in a similar boat, waiting for texts back from my two buddies here at the deadline. Are you applying for general tag or a limited entry unit? You can withdraw your app as late as May 9 in Wyoming, so I'm considering going ahead and putting in for general as I can draw it this year with 4 points.

Just haven't done the dd on a unit/area that I normally would before applying for a hunt and don't have the partner situation nailed down, but have a few months to either do that or change my mind and withdraw.
Water Turkey07
stdeb11
AG
I've seen 5/31 listed on some things for non res WY elk. Although I did find one web link that lists 1/31 still. A bit confusing. If today is the deadline, guess that makes my choice much easier ha.

The super tag deadline for sure is 1/31.
Post removed:
by user
hbc07
AG
Have 0 points so was going to apply for a limited unit cost tag (probably 25 27 or 28). Ended up deciding in passing for this year for a few reasons including coaching my wife on a marathon that's at the start of the season and I'm starting a new job tomorrow and have no idea on time off availability or if I have things already calendared during the season.
[url]http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com[/url]
meggy09
AG
What's y'all's general thoughts or take on CO mule deer seasons? I've always been under the impression that 4th was the gold standard hunting them in rut. I know the dates have changed and now 3rd gets close to rut. But either way, I'm starting to look into specific units and almost every one talks about 4th season hunts being tough when weather pushes deer down low onto private. That obviously depends on weather pattern, but kinda just wanting generalities. Is 4th not all it's cracked up to be?

I've got 3 resident points, and was hoping to put in for a buck tag that would be in the 30-80% draw odds range. I can look through the draw report, but things definitely change if I go 3rd vs 4th. Wanting to put in for a stretch unit because I've got a doe tag pretty dialed in that I can likely get 2nd choice, and would be totally fine with that. Got one without antlers last year in the first half day out, redemption from the year before for anyone who's following
stdeb11
AG
I've never hunted 4th. Hunted 3rd and 2nd a few times. Really depends on the unit. With the later dates, 3rd has the potential to be great rut hunt. However I've hunted 2nd before in a unit that had an earlier migration and it was a fun hunt seeing lots of deer passing thru. Weather can be hit or miss with either season...if you do look to the later seasons, just make sure there's winter range on public. I've also found District Wildlife managers to be super helpful answering questions regarding these sorts of issues.
chocolatelabs
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Got my shoulder mount in from first archery last September. I hope it stays for two reasons:
1. My lag bolt holds
2. When my wife sees it
Nice Bull.

Did you use an outfitter for this?
lazuras_dc
AG
Yep Bull Valley in Nm
harge57
AG
So my brother just drew a Bison tag in AK. Hunt Number: DI403

Anyone have experience doing a DIY hunt up there?
cledus6150
AG
There was a guy who drew a tag on TexAgs several years ago.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2861379/1
Sully Dog
Read the book American Bison by Rinella.

He's got some stories about the land issues up there.
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
Sully Dog
TX_COWDOC said:

I'm due to hunt Western Wyoming (Region G) this fall. I'm concerned about the drought and wondering if I should hold off another year or 2. Antlers were not as good in 2021. Expecting same for 2022.

13 points on the line.

My family owns a ranch in Unit G, though I live in Nevada, so take it for what it's worth.

Jackson (proxy for snowfall in the area) has had about 218 inche of snow so far this year. Average total through April is around 400. March is typically the snowiest month of the year so its not unreasonably to assume they will end up somewhere around 75% of normal.

Word on the street is the harvest numbers were way down last fall because we really didn't have and fall snow storm to drive the elk herds down out of the high country. I was on the Elk refuge in Jackson before Thanksgiving and the elk really weren't on the refuge.

The South Park refuge was stacked with elk in January. Probably the most I have seen.

Just a random guess here, but I think the state is going to give away alot of tag this year. I don't know what the trophy quality will be, but I think they want to cull the herds from last season.

With that in mind, remember the number applicants in Wyoming has been getting insane. But with 13 points, I can't imagine drawing will be a problem.
TX_COWDOC
AG
Sully Dog-
Thank you for the reply and information. I might not have been clear that this is a mule deer hunt.
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
Sully Dog
Email sent
NRH ag 10
AG
Not a 2022 hunt, but a friend and I drew black bear on Prince of Wales island in AK for the spring of 2023! Pretty excited for the experience of going to AK and getting a chance to take a good example of the species.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.