Outdoors
Sponsored by

2022 Western Hunting Thread

47,571 Views | 496 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TH36
AgLA06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Chances of drawing again?

Do you want to draw this tag?

harge57
AG
If I don't take this tag I keep my points and could likely draw it next year.

Haven't really had too much time to research it. Looking at it yesterday sounds like its a pretty tough hunt with not a lot of above timberline places to hunt. Sounds like most deer are in timber.

But there are big deer in the area and I could always get lucky.

In the 70% chance we don't draw WY id love the tag. If we draw WY I think I'll be bummed i can't scout like I'd want to.
AgLA06
AG
My advice.

Just verify passing doesn't hurt future chances for next year or count as drawing.

If not and you're essentially guaranteed next year I'd pass and plan on next year. If you don't get Wyoming go scout it hard this year and set yourself up to maximize blowing 25 points.

There's always OTC tags if you miss on everything this year.
harge57
AG
I passed on the tag. I keep all my points but rumor is hard to draw units may have the NR distribution lowered as early as next year so hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me.

Hopefully we hit in WY.
arrow
AG
I returned my Colo deer tag last year for points. I plan to hunt it next year. It wouldn't surprise me, but hopefully that rumor isn't true.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Debating on returning my deer tag in Unit 11 this year for pts. I am so busy with other matters I really dont think I will even have time to hunt.
DG96
AG
I think you made the right choice. You should be able to get it next year. Then for sure you will be able put the time in and get a good buck. The high country in those units are rough and it takes time to scout it.
My son drew a really good Nevada archery deer tag. He got it as an alternate also but didn't get a choice. He could turn it back but it is a tag he will likely never draw again. He is still in school so trying to figure out the best time to get him out there.
BradMtn346
I got to participate in a CPW focus group specifically about tag allocation. There was significant outrage over CPW using 2009 data to determine which units were 80-20 versus 60-40. That will change. For draw tags under 5 resident points, I didn't hear a lot of support for a change. What I did hear a lot of support for was an end to OTC hunts. Especially archery. You can't call elk in a crowd.
mneisch
AG
Anyone doing the Colorado secondary draw? I notice a few tags available in units I've hunted in the past. Might try my luck at snagging one. I didn't originally intend to hunt up there this year but need a backup plan
harge57
AG
Youth get 100% preference residence and NR before any adults so the secondary draw is tough in CO. But if you have an interested youth they have a good chance at some decent tags.
DG96
AG
Any decent tag will go to a youth hunter. Youth get priority on all second draw tags. All four of their choices are considered before adults. A lot of people waste money on tags they really don't have a shot at.
mneisch
AG
I saw that about youth getting preference. Unfortunately my oldest is still a ways away from being old enough. I wasn't sure how many youth actually apply, but it sounds like quite a few. I'm also thinking about just getting a doe tag in a unit I'm familiar with. In theory it would be easy to fill and kind of scratches that itch for getting out into the mountains this year. Just not crazy about paying $400 for it.
STL_aTm
AG
Got 2nd draw 1st rifle for bear. Excited but little time to prepare
BrazosBQ
AG
Got a 2nd draw 1st rifle cow tag, neighboring the unit that I didn't draw a bull tag in with 4 points and a buddy drew a cow tag in. I'm sure it's "leftover for a reason" but nice to at least have a tag, was planning on making the trip with my buddy anyways.
Hoyt Ag
AG
What Unit?
BrazosBQ
AG
64/65
DG96
AG
harge57
AG
harge57 said:

I passed on the tag. I keep all my points but rumor is hard to draw units may have the NR distribution lowered as early as next year so hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me.

Hopefully we hit in WY.

I ended up drawing WY archery in unit 67/68 so I'm glad I chose not to take the CO tag.

Anyone ever been in this area? I've only hunted the general tag in a couple other spots in WY.

Plan is to hunt before the general opens on 9/15.
DG96
AG
txaggie02
AG
Just hit the lottery for Arizona mule deer! Drew the only non-res muzzleloader tag in 12B West. Can't freaking wait!
harge57
AG
txaggie02 said:

Just hit the lottery for Arizona mule deer! Drew the only non-res muzzleloader tag in 12B West. Can't freaking wait!

Nice.
BradMtn346
Reminder that leftover and returned licenses for Colorado go on sale August 2 at 9:00 am MDT.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Went Mulie scouting in Unit 11 tonight after work.

And a beautiful sunset to boot on the nightly Ranger ride with the pup.

AgLA06
AG
He seems nice.
txaggie02
AG
Just locked down A3 Trophy Hunts as my outfitter for my Kaibab mule deer hunt. I'm beyond stoked and ready to take full advantage of this huge opportunity. The Kaibab is supposedly looking as good as it has in years, so antler growth should be very good. It's actually pouring rain right now. November can't get here quick enough!
AgLA06
AG
It rained both nights we were at the north rim. Even hailed.

That country was really green once you got to the forest.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Couple of nice pics from the weekend.

AgLA06
AG
I've got a couple from 2 weeks ago. Southern New Mexico.

AgEng06
AG
Love the velvet pics. Keep em coming, both elk and deer.
AgLA06
AG
Funny how you can walk to bow range in July. They know.
cupofjoe04
AG
AgLA06 said:

Funny how you can walk to bow range in July. They know.
1,000,000% this
BCO07
AG
Bought an otc colorado tag this morning, we'll see how it goes. Pretty excited to get out west for the first time regardless of result
Hoyt Ag
AG
CO is full. Hunt whitetails in TX.
BCO07
AG
That's full too
Todd 02
AG
Finally went to the mountains in July and am slowly getting excited about my NM MD hunt. We saw quite a few elk, deer, and a bear in Colorado on two vacations. The family had a blast and the wife is full on in "gear acquisition mode" on my behalf. Have been shopping sales here and there and think I'm closing in on everything I need/want.

With her help, I just couldn't help myself on the new gun. Fondled both a Tikka T3x Lite Roughtech and a Bergara B-14 Ridge today. The Bergara is shorter, heavier, and cheaper, but it just felt like a better gun in my hands.

Decided to stick with .308 WIN. They only had an 18" barrel in the shop, so I had to order a 20".

Was looking at the Sig BDX system for glass. Seems like a pretty cool technology. Looks like most of them are discontinued. Is that a permanent thing? Did they just not catch on?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.