Outdoors
Sponsored by

2022 Western Hunting Thread

47,560 Views | 496 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TH36
AggieJames09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Hoyt Ag
AG
Will be interesting to see what tag increases are going to be after 90/10 failing
AgEng06
AG
Wow. What is the current % breakdown in WY for res to non-res permits?
Hoyt Ag
AG
84% res
16% non res
Track&Recover
My father and I both have Colorado 500 Elk archery tags this year. My BIL has unit 50 season 3 rifle elk and we have matching mule deer tags season 3. I think about it everyday! Can't wait.
lazuras_dc
AG
CupOfJoe, any scouting reports ?!
cupofjoe04
AG
Well, the mountains in South-Central CO are looking pretty good. Lots of water, lots of forage. We finally did get a good bit of moisture this summer, though it came in unusually strong downpours causing some pretty good mudslides. Some trails have been altered in the backcountry, but no big deal.

Sadly, I haven't made it up to the divide or really deep into the backcountry yet this year. I do not hear a lot from guys who have, which tells me one thing - they are seeing things worth being tight-lipped about. I have been scouting mulies for a friend who drew a tag this year, and we are on some nice bucks pretty consistently. Typical of July/Aug. I'm sure they will vanish in Sept as always. Been seeing decent number of elk- but they are scattered with the food and water.

We had a full moon last night, and a new moon is coming on the 27th. Next full is on Sept 10. If I had an elk tag this year (which I don't) I would be hitting that first week of archery REALLY hard, especially the mid-day movements (with the full moon being up all night long). Muzzleloader elk hunters ought to be in for a treat, but the early archer hunters able to capitalize on getting in there before the woods get crowded should be set up as well as they have been for a while.
lazuras_dc
AG
Great report. Just makes me more sad/jealous that I'm not going to be up there next month.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Yep. I have changed my hunt from last 2 weeks to first two weeks
lazuras_dc
AG
Is that just because of the moon phase ? You're like first two weeks as the moon is waxing up to full ? Versus last two weeks where it's waning off ?
Hoyt Ag
AG
For me, Yes. Where I am.hunting it will be asses to elbows those last two weeks cause everyone is banking on moon phase the last 2 weeks. Also I am changing jobs and it fits better in my schedule.
cupofjoe04
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Is that just because of the moon phase ? You're like first two weeks as the moon is waxing up to full ? Versus last two weeks where it's waning off ?

Yep. In my experience the majority of elk will rut +/- 10 days from that Sept full moon. Given that muzzy season happens, and people start setting up camps and scouting towards the end of archery, I prefer the first week or two when the moon plays along. I would be banking on quieter and less crowded woods the first week, and try to catch those early cows coming into heat. The second week should be fire, and the 3rd week could be as well if you can get away from people.

I'm SUPER bummed we won't be sharing campfires and early morning ridges up on the continental divide this year. I think that spot is going to be absolutely money for the next few years at least. We will make it happen one of these days!
lazuras_dc
AG
Yea we might have to drop our guy that has all those pref points and go for it next year!
lazuras_dc
AG
So there's two full moons in September of 23 so what would be a good strategy here ? I would think that week of the 11th and just split the two full moons!
98Ag99Grad
AG
Back from the mountains and currently in Anchorage. Got my dall ram! Hardest thing I've ever done physically and mentally. I'll do a write up later after I get my pics from the outfitter but here's a couple from my phone.

T264
AG
`If anyone has info on or access to a Unit 84 Colorado landowner voucher for either deer or elk and they want to make some $, let me know! I have access to some private ground but no tag!

Thank you
361-813-8761
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Is 2.5 weeks enough time to get into mountain shape? Things just got interesting…
lazuras_dc
AG
Depends on your base but I would venture to say that's gunna be rough !
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yeah, it's going to be rough for sure. I'm in shape but my cardio is lacking. Mentally I know what I am in for and I know I can grind it out.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Pulled some cards today. Seems that a lot of the bulls I am seeing are staying in a 3-4square mile radius. However I have some new ones that intrigue me. We have been getting an inch of rain a day up there, so it was a miserable hike up and down. Chester, my cur dog, did not approve of todays hike at all.

miles hiked: 8.9
Elev.- 10,900

First off, a nice black bear.

Interesting rack on this guy.

Few nice bulls, some may get a pass on age.

Hoyt Ag
AG
I have a 2nd season rifle spot available on private....Just saying.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I hope someone takes your opening! I ended up jumping on this opportunity… lot of work to do in 2.5 weeks.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Best of luck to you buddy! I expect a full report!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Thank you sir! Will do.
cupofjoe04
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

I have a 2nd season rifle spot available on private....Just saying.
Can you email me info on that if it's still available? I know someone looking, would be happy to pass it along if you like.

ETA: Thanks!
Log
AG
Well, I drew Matador WT Archery today. Not as western as some in this thread, but western enough.
AgDad121619
AG
A long ways out, but I reserved a '24 spot for rifle elk hunt in Beartooth Absaroka wilderness - Montana. Called for a 2023 reservation but they are already booked up. Choice of outfitter was based off of an OB recommendation. Montana has one of the few rifle hunts during the peak rut in US. Learned in the process that my preference point bought last year is worthless - they changed the rules and you can only buy a preference point one year ahead of planned hunt but with additional outfitter point, the draw is nearly guaranteed
AG_2006
AG
I'm headed to Colorado, for archery elk in 81 next week. Good luck to all of you!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Same to you! I'll be in 85 a week and a day from now.
Maverick06
AG
I'm headed to 81 on 9/9. If you pack out before that, let me how you left things. Would be interested in bugling activity and conditions. I was in 81 in 2020 and would go days without hearing a bugle in mid-September. I passed 2 different 5x5's on day 1 and 2 that felt like a really dumb idea on day 6.
Hoyt Ag
AG
They are starting to move a lot more this week. Not a bad drive into work in Craig.

BCO07
AG
Starting to get antsy. Still have 24 days
lazuras_dc
AG
I've had FOMO for weeks. Not going to get out there this year.
Do have a weekend trip with the wife to Colorado Springs Sept 23... debating if the consequences of getting an OTC tag and sneaking out for a day or two are worth it
AgLA06
AG
Just tell her its a surprise camping trip because you just want to spend time with only her and love her so much you want to share your love for nature.

And call your attorney ahead of time, just in case.

Hoyt Ag
AG
7 more days and I will be hiking my fat ass up Unit 12. I am going to be worthless at work the next week.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.