Outdoors
Sponsored by

2022 Western Hunting Thread

47,566 Views | 496 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TH36
Todd 02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Headed to NM Unit 51A later this afternoon with my two boys to scout muleys and get a lay of the land.

Good luck to everyone afield!
ArmaLite
Starting to get pumped my for Idaho Elk hunt (Elk City Unit). Got family that has been on and off scouting for us. Looks like it might be a tough year.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Came home early. No bugles to be found. No movement other than dinks. Will go back out another day when it isn't 93 degrees
Todd 02
AG
NM Unit 51 Scouting Trip Report:

The hills were alive, as they say. Some areas with LOTS of people. Prolly just Labor Day camping trips. Lots of dirt bikes and UTVs.

Visited a lot of what I'd identified on Google Earth and GOHUNT Maps. Some places were inaccessible due to down trees or road washout.

Biggest disappointment was that we didn't see a damn thing. No elk. No deer.

I'm not sure I have a better plan after being here than I did before I came.

Will call USFS and NMGF for some pointers when they open tomorrow.
Log
AG
What are your hunt dates?
Todd 02
AG
Oct 29 - Nov 2
Hoyt Ag
AG
The hunters renting a few rooms at my house showed up an hour ago. They looked like they just spent a month in the Gobi. Red as can be from the sun, dehydrated and frustrated. They sat over water holes in gmu24 for three days and didnt hear a bugle, see more than a few cows and are convinced they saw every dirtbike in CO. They hiked close to 35 miles since Friday. They are coming back the last week of the season I think, so maybe they can redeem themselves.

I rode up to YellowJacket Pass last night and talked to a few folks. Nothing going on there it seems. Saw two very nice mule deer kills at camp but no elk. I had never really been back there too far and it sure is pretty but I can see where it would be asses to elbows in rifle season. There are still a lot of sheep up there, so I imagine elk are long gone till first snow or for a while at least.
rockin_gh
AG
Who are you hunting with up there? I leave in 2 weeks for the same.
arrow
AG
Yukon Stone Outfitters. I head north Wednesday evening. I'm packed and ready! Probably shoot my rifle one last time this evening.
rockin_gh
AG
Awesome! I'm goin with Blackstone. Good luck!!
harge57
AG
Been super hot in WY.

It's been super slow. Got one to respond in the darkest thickest stuff imaginable. He came to 15 yards but never got a shot. I drew when he went behind a big tree, but he froze. I think he heard me. He sat there for about 90 seconds then eventually smelled me I think. He was a big ol dude.

Also saw a grizz sow with 2 cubs on the first night.
BradMtn346
My outfitter buddy lost his place where he used to put his hunters up because the ranch sold. I lost my ranch hand and have decided not to hire a new one for a time, so we decided to make the best of it and I rented him the older farm house the ranch hand lived in.

First group was 2 deer hunters and 2 elk hunters, one drop camp.

Opening day deer.

Yesterday one of the elk hunters got a cow and today they packed a bull and a cow out of their drop camp. Going back for another elk in the morning.

https://www.westelkoutfitters.com/

I've been covered up with bears. Have a couple of friends lined up to deal with it.

lazuras_dc
AG
AgLA06
AG
Isn't it a good thing that it worked out for both of you?

Maybe I'm missing why the thumbs down.
STL_aTm
AG
Leaving for a Colorado bear hunt in the morning. will be my entrance into Western hunting and i don't think I could be more excited.
AgLA06
AG
STL_aTm said:

Leaving for a Colorado bear hunt in the morning. will be my entrance into Western hunting and i don't think I could be more excited.
Welcome to the sickness.
AgEng06
AG
AgLA06 said:

STL_aTm said:

Welcome to the sickness.

Oh ah ah ah ah
ttha_aggie_09
AG
It's hot, the elk aren't talking, and I'm down to my last hunt….
AgLA06
AG
When all else fails, go after them in the deepest, darkest, nastiest stuff. And hope for the best.
BradMtn346
AgLA06 said:

That was a error on my part, but loosing my hand is going to put a serious dent in the time I can get away.
cupofjoe04
AG
STL_aTm said:

Let me help you with the best advice about Western hunting you will ever get.

Go unload your truck, sell your gear, and forget you ever had the idea. You will be much happier and wealthier.
AgLA06
AG
Hey now.

Occasionally we accidently find ourselves in the right place and kill something. There's no antidote for that.
AgLA06
AG
BradMtn346 said:

AgLA06 said:

That was a error on my part, but loosing my hand is going to put a serious dent in the time I can get away.
Oh, I get that. Sorry man.

BTW, I love how that dude styled his hair to match the muly's antlers.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Yep, Its supposed to cool off here this week so maybe they will get to talking. Sucks for me, I had outpatient surgery today with some complications, so I lose this weekend to hunt. Good news is that my new pup is arriving to CO by the generosity of a fellow OB'er bringing him up.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I forgot about you and the dog. Had I known about going on this hunt more that 3 weeks ago, I would've gladly helped out. Good luck!
BradMtn346
AgLA06 said:

BradMtn346 said:

AgLA06 said:

Oh, I get that. Sorry man.

BTW, I love how that dude styled his hair to match the muly's antlers.

All I can say is California.
cupofjoe04
AG
AgLA06 said:

Hey now.

Occasionally we accidently find ourselves in the right place and kill something. There's no antidote for that.

I don't believe it. That's just a story all of us addicts tell ourselves (and our wives) to justify the obsession!!!
harge57
AG
All chips are in for tomorrow as its my last day. Hopefully the front blowing in will get them talking tomorrow.
DG96
AG
harge57 said:

All chips are in for tomorrow as its my last day. Hopefully the front blowing in will get them talking tomorrow.

Good luck. My Nevada hunt just wrapped up. Headed to smoke filled Idaho.
Nevada was absolutely incredible. I share some stories when I get time.
arrow
AG
Stuck another night inWhitehorse. Bad weather for the float plane.
harge57
AG
harge57 said:

Headed back home in the morning. Still no bugles today. Got into some really fresh sign a few times but no dice. It wasn't due to lack of miles or dead fall I know that much. Now on to trying to convince the wife I need to leave for another week before the 30th.

Yesterday afternoon I did follow this fresh track into this awesome looking north facing slope. Snuck in really slow only moving when the wind blew for noise and glassing for them in their bed.

Suddenly a huge velvet antler and an ear the size of a football fill my whole view in my Knockers. I snuck into 15 yards on a big bull moose.

He finally stood up looked at me and just walked off. Dude looked enormous up close.
cupofjoe04
AG
How high were you? That was probably just an elk at elevation. At least that's what we try to tell the tourists here- deer turn into elk above 9K, and elk turn into moose above 11K.

Sorry for the tag soup so far. You will never regret the miles or memories. Quite a cool thing to sneak in that close to a big bull of any species. I've never gotten to see a moose on the hoof yet- so I'm a tad jealous.
BCO07
AG
So damn happy I'll be in the elk woods the next 2 Saturdays
Hoyt Ag
AG
Saw 2 cows where your are going last night. They will be firing up next week I think
BCO07
AG
Between the warm early September, new moon and solstace I'm feeling significant pressure to make a kill

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.