Outdoors
Sponsored by

2022 Western Hunting Thread

47,568 Views | 496 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TH36
Hoyt Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I get it. Get on scopelist and watch the clearance section. I got a nice Vortex Diamonback for nearly half price. Works fine for me as I don't shoot that gun much past 300 or so. If I know I need to reach out to hunt then the 300 it is.
rather be fishing
AG
Applications in. Of note, I live on the border of goat 100 and 101 (our place is in 101), but 100 offers better road access.

Montana resident (1st, 2nd):
Antelope: 480, 481
Elk: 425, 410
Moose: 334
Bighorn: 482, 124 (ewe)
Goat: 100
Elk B: 121
bigF
AG
Applied for Unit 101 Eastern Plains Colorado with 10 points. Have more than enough to draw. I booked with an outfitter several years back, but was waiting on a buddy of mine to accumulate enough points to draw.
TikkaShooter
CO deadline coming up, so I went ahead with my plans to burn away my MD points

App set fo Unit 67, 2nd rifle Mule Deer
lazuras_dc
AG
When do Co results come out ?
arrow
AG
Submitted CO and MT apps.
Sheep and points this year for both.
stdeb11
AG
May 31-June 3rd. Usually random order of results.

And yes it's absolutely ridiculous they take that long now that it's all online.
Sully Dog
Update from Western Wyoming today: Confirmed what I said before. Dry season, if you are going for trophies look in the Tetons and Western half of hte Wind River Range.

Tons of deer. Probably more than I have ever seaen in the past.

We had about 20 Mule Deer on the property today and another 30-40 in the canyon adjacent to the property. Last season was a poor hunting season for deer and elk, then we got hit with a light winter. Populations are way up.
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
Sully Dog
How here put in for Jackson Hole elk tags:

https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/environmental/local/six-fold-increase-in-elk-cow-calf-tags-set-for-south-jackson-hunt-area/article_ce22992d-ef97-59b4-a232-e1af318fd9ee.html
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Got my co apps in right at the bell last night. Points for everything except bull moose. If i draw that it's going to be an expensive season!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I hope they extend the deadline for CO again... I ran into snags on the password resets and then couldn't find my hunter ed info (not sure why that isn't saved from the previous year) when I tried last week. My calendar reminder was setup for last week on Wednesday which I thought was a week out. Whatever, was only going to be a points year anyways...
BullSprig07
AG
Points for Deer, Elk, Antelope; Shooting for the stars on Goat and Sheep (finally over the 3 point threshold and can at least put my name in the hat)
Water Turkey07
Hoyt Ag
AG
Did you call the help line?
AgEng06
AG
Colorado:
- pronghorn point
- elk point
- 2nd rifle deer draw
- moose draw

New Mexico:
- archery elk draw
harge57
AG
Would have to get real lucky on my MD app.

Have decent odds of grabbing a 2nd choice archery elk.

Will most likely get pts for MD, Elk, and Pronghorn with a 2nd choice elk tag that i may return based on how WY and NM plays out.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Mine went smoothly but my father in laws were a little goofy like yours. Had to re-input his hunters ed when i added the small game license, and it didn't add the habitat stamp and i couldn't find it to add (other than the lifetime) so hopefully his points apps don't get rejected
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
How many moose points do you have? Did you put in for cow or bull? I love the new "season choice" system. Is that new this year?
AgEng06
AG
I have 3 preference + 2 weighted (including this season). Odds are poor, but I'm trying anyway. I put in for the season choice bull tag.

The season choice was there last year, which was my first season to actually be able to enter the draw, so I'm not sure how long that has been an option.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

Did you call the help line?

yes, registration is closed… even after acknowledging that they had issues with nonresident hunters and their information.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Nice this will be my first year actually entering the draw. I have 9 weighted and 3 regular.

Ouch that tag is $2343.10, plus $103.60 for the bear tag I'll have to add, plus a new muzzleloader...
Maverick06
AG
NM: archery elk

CO: 2nd rifle MD
Archery elk

Should draw both CO tags. If I get lucky and draw NM, I'll return the CO elk tag and keep my points.
AgEng06
AG
Nice. Good luck! You've got a lot better chance than I do.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
We ran into a guy hiking out a couple years ago that was headed to his car to eat tag soup that he said took him 25 years to draw. That will not be me
AgEng06
AG
Ouch. And that's crazy. The success rates on those moose hunts is very high.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Right they're not exactly hard to find. Find riparian in the mountains and you will find a moose. And they're not the stealthiest critters...
rather be fishing
AG
Montana elk results are out. I didn't get drawn for my primary. Still pending on B permit.
Credible Source
AG
I did, is this good news for me? Or is it a six fold increase in requests for Elk tags?
AggieJames09
AG
How much longer till New Mexico sends me my annual bad news ?
AgEng06
AG
April 27th
AggieJames09
AG
That's what they write down. They're usually a week early, Last year it was 4/21
harge57
AG
AggieJames09 said:

How much longer till New Mexico sends me my annual bad news ?

Rumor is the draw is done and been audited and ready for release. They release on Wednesdays so would expect them this Wednesday.
AgEng06
AG
Well that would be nice.
AggieJames09
AG
NM E-Tags are hitting the app right now. Online will still show pending.
AgEng06
AG
Nothing for me yet
AggieJames09
AG
Got my annual bad news for NM. Results posted

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.