Outdoors
Sponsored by

2022 Western Hunting Thread

47,584 Views | 496 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TH36
Charismatic Megafauna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nice. I once stalked/ chased an adolescent bull moose for a couple hours without getting a glimpse of him until eventually he decided he was tired of the game and waited for me halfway behind some brush in a clearing. I stepped into the clearing and he's squared up like "okay you caught me, what you gonna do now? " I'm like "oh, hey mr moose, my bad, you're not an elk at all, are you? And you're big as hell. I'm just gonna snap a picture and be on my way..."
BradMtn346
We have a pile of bears this year. Unfortunately, mostly sows with cubs. With our trail cameras we were able to identify 2 that definitely didn't have cubs. My buddy Jacob finally found the one we called burdock bear. Turns out it was a dry sow. Which means it could've been the bear that killed my puppy last year.

While sharing pictures, Jacob heard about another property with a lot of bears in his brothers unit, so the went to check it out this afternoon.

And Brandon got a smallish boar.

Both bears were shot with their dad's rifle. Their dad died from covid a little over a year ago. They are trying to take their dad's rifle with them as much as they can. So he is there too.
STL_aTm
AG
We ended up connecting on a big bear Saturday. Came in at 417lbs and was the only bear we saw. From the heat to the full moon and most importantly the terrain, it was a brutal hunt! No doubt a crash course into western hunting.

chocolatelabs
AG
How are you hunting those bears? Setting up on food sources or bait? can't remember if colorado allows bait.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
No baiting in CO
STL_aTm
AG
Correct, no baiting. Just glassed hill sides trying catch them between aspens and the chokecherrys.
BradMtn346
Congratulations. Good bear!
harge57
AG
Well I'm not sure how but I got the all clear from the wife and work. Just left the house for the 19 hour drive back to WY. Hopefully back by next Monday.
shaynew1
AG
If you can convince my wife I will come call for you.

Good luck.
AgEng06
AG
shaynew1 said:

Good luck.
cupofjoe04
AG
shaynew1 said:

Good luck.

I really think there is a business opportunity here. For an Outfitting Service for people that don't really need a guide, pack in/out, and maybe not even access- but just a credible excuse. It would include arrangement of all logistics & licenses, a well crafted backstory, with documented and verifiable alibis, and covert delivery of hunting equipment to trailheads. The premium service would even include a concierge to handle your chores/duties while you are away, and a gps re-locator for your boss/wife to check and see you "are" where you said you would be.

Business Name?
Last Chance Outfitters
Spycraft Hunting Services
Dark Cover Adventures
Wingman Outfitters
AgLA06
AG
A Gigolo would be cheaper.
Hoyt Ag
AG
When I worked for my old outfitter we had a group from Louisiana go to one of our spike camps we had out in the mountains. One built custom airboats and the other had a crawfish operation and some other small business. Loads of fun to hang out with and just happy go lucky kind of folks. Anyways, they show up in a 3500 GMC long bed with the entire bottom of the bed lined with booze and beer. Along with that, they had a huge Yeti with steaks/shrimp/etc for gourmet meals each night. I got to talking with them and they didnt give 2 craps about hunting elk or bear. They were there to get away from their wives and life for 10 days. When I went to pick them up, the airboat guy actually show a cow to my surprise. I asked about the stalk and he started laughing. The cow was apparently in camp one morning and he busted her. That was the extent of their hunting. For ten days, they ate like kings, drank and just hung out. Amazing to say the least. They have been return customers for me for 2 years since. They book every other year with me and the opposite years they go to Wyoming to do the same.
96ags
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

When I worked for my old outfitter we had a group from Louisiana go to one of our spike camps we had out in the mountains. One built custom airboats and the other had a crawfish operation and some other small business. Loads of fun to hang out with and just happy go lucky kind of folks. Anyways, they show up in a 3500 GMC long bed with the entire bottom of the bed lined with booze and beer. Along with that, they had a huge Yeti with steaks/shrimp/etc for gourmet meals each night. I got to talking with them and they didnt give 2 craps about hunting elk or bear. They were there to get away from their wives and life for 10 days. When I went to pick them up, the airboat guy actually show a cow to my surprise. I asked about the stalk and he started laughing. The cow was apparently in camp one morning and he busted her. That was the extent of their hunting. For ten days, they ate like kings, drank and just hung out. Amazing to say the least. They have been return customers for me for 2 years since. They book every other year with me and the opposite years they go to Wyoming to do the same.
The older I get, the more I understand this mindset!!! I'm just not near as mad at those animals as I used to be.
AgLA06
AG
96ags said:

Hoyt Ag said:

The older I get, the more I understand this mindset!!! I'm just not near as mad at those animals as I used to be.

I understand this concept more and more. What I don't get is why they need to pretend to hunt. Just go on a boy's trip and don't hurt outfitter's success ratios or take tags and spots from other hunters, when all you need is a camping trip. As someone who wished they had the funds for stuff like this, that's a little discouraging. There's already too many idiots in the woods. Drunks with firearms is a bad idea.
cupofjoe04
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

Tell them you can outsource the hunting for a nominal fee. I'll show up and do all the shooting, packing, and cleaning, and send them home with trophies and meat to prove to their wives the trip is worth it. I'll just take 10% of what you charge them, and 30% of the meat.
AgEng06
AG
Now you're thinking!
AggieJames09
AG
Spent the last 10 days chasing Elk in Wyoming with the MF Hunting Crew. We were up early everyday, back to camp late. Saw and heard elk throughout the trip, it was just too early for them to be rutting and coming into calls for a bow shot.
Got to ride horses through the beautiful mountains all week. Had my first grizzly bear experience with a momma bear and cubs, even heard wolves howling. Made some great friends and memories for a lifetime.
I did find a dream antler shed that we estimated would go roughly 370" if his other side matched, not bad for general public land!

cupofjoe04
AG
Sounds like an amazing trip! And WOAH, what a shed!!!! Great job
harge57
AG
Sitting here listening to bugles 300 yds from my base camp. Can't decide if I should drive 20 minutes and hike in 3 miles before the sun is up like i planned or just stay and chase these ones. I got all dressed and ready to go early now just sitting here getting cold.
cupofjoe04
AG
harge57 said:

Sitting here listening to bugles 300 yds from my base camp. Can't decide if I should drive 20 minutes and hike in 3 miles before the sun is up like i planned or just stay and chase these ones. I got all dressed and ready to go early now just sitting here getting cold.

A bird in the hand vs 2 in the bush. Never leave talking elk (or biting fish) without reason.
Hoyt Ag
AG
We got hammered with rain the last 36 hours. Will certainly shuffle the deck for you guys coming to my neck of the woods next week.
harge57
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

harge57 said:

A bird in the hand vs 2 in the bush. Never leave talking elk (or biting fish) without reason.

I went after them. They headed to bed quick and shut up. I had one going for a bit but the stuff was just too nasty to get close to him. Think I know where he is generally bedded so I'm going to circle above him and try to get on him this afternoon.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
There was a dude who posted a couple bear hunt reports like this on here a couple years ago. Wall tents, lobsters, ribeyes...and they killed several bear!
harge57
AG
Had a good 5x5 come in silent to some cow calls at about 11 am. I actually spotted him in an opening about 75 yards off.

I set up on a trail and he was coming in on a rope to the last place I called then for some unknown reason he decided to veer off the trail and come straight through the thick stuff. He was at 25 yards for probably 5 minutes. Never had a shot.

Lots of bugling at night and first hour of light but very little in the daylight hours. I think I heard one far off bugle after 8 am. Found a decent spot this evening. Sat back there until it got dark and had a few different bugles going.

Lots of rain so far. Plus more for tomorrow.
lazuras_dc
AG
Let's fkn go!
Hoyt Ag
AG
I have a mule deer hunt in the am so I am sitting by the fire on the patio having a drink. We have gotten about 1.5in this week of rain and I am loving these cool temps. Had a good talk with a ob'r about his 3rd season hunt. Life is good and gonna be real good in 8 days when I get to go hunt and not have to work.
BCO07
AG
24 hours till I hit the road. Hoyt, I'm going to need you to flip the rut switch
Hoyt Ag
AG
I honestly think it flipped this week due to increased activity we are hearing and seeing
BCO07
AG
Great news
harge57
AG
Finally had one ready for a fight. Funny its the smallest bull I've seen out of the 9 i have seen. I'm happy.

Just got off the mountain. Solo pack out wasn't too bad. Glad to have shot him first thing this morning.

Shot him at 25 yards he took like 5 steps then just laid down then eventually died.

Hoyt Ag
AG
Congrats brother!!! Damn nice bull

I know of 3 other OBers that had deer, bear and elk kills. Can't wait to see reports come in. I leave for 10 days to hunt on the 22nd
lazuras_dc
AG
Yesss. First blood!
Track&Recover
Awesome, congrats, and good work!
BCO07
AG
Fresh sign everywhere, but only 2 distant bugles this morning. Good news is that we have the place to ourself on otc tags. Do I leave the fresh sign in pursuit of a bull willing to play?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.