Outdoors
Sponsored by

2022 Western Hunting Thread

47,574 Views | 496 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TH36
cupofjoe04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Your data points make me feel much better about my archery hunt and lines up with what I have heard from others.

No doubt. Been a rough year. There was a group of OB'ers planning on coming up here 2nd week of archery, but they didn't get drawn. They were understandably super bummed at first. Looking back, it probably wound up better for them to wait a year…

Similarly, I drew no tags this year, and I'm glad now. If the snow comes, I can always get an OTC and try to join the shooting gallery.
cupofjoe04
harge57
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

harge57 said:

Brother drew a leftover 1st rifle elk tag in 77/78 last week.

Talk about rapid e scouting.

Headed that way Thursday.

That's my backyard, literally. You should be able to hunt 77/78/771 on that tag.

It has been SLOW here this year. We have had TONS of rain, and the elk seem to be spread out with water and forage everywhere. Most guides killed way below the average during archery. I have only helped one buddy kill an elk so far this year- (normally I have had my hands on 5 or so elk by Oct 1). Usually on years like this, hunting is really tough until the first big snow, then they all pile up and head down, and it is a freaking massacre.

Traffic is picking way up, so you will be out here with 10,000 of your new orange clad best friends. But you can find some places to get away from the crowds (this is paramount during 1st rifle). I would highly recommend preparing to put some serious miles on your boots. The elk have been quiet and spread apart. So, focusing on 1 area is not likely to be productive this year. But they are out there, if you can do enough walking to find them.

Good luck!

Would it be worth it to grab a bear license for $100?

cupofjoe04
AG
I got your #, and will text you. You can edit it out of your post if desired.

It's always hard for me to say wether it is "worth it". The bears are spread out just like the elk and deer. If you don't mind $100 for a "just in case" you run into one, but know that is pretty unlikely- then go for it. If you need to kill a bear for it to be worth it, either don't get the tag, or spend intentional time specifically bear hunting.

Of course, inevitably- if you don't get a tag you will see 10 bears and wish you had gotten one. If you do get a tag, you will see none and regret getting one.
lazuras_dc
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

Of course, inevitably- if you don't get a tag you will see 10 bears and wish you had gotten one. If you do get a tag, you will see none and regret getting one.

This
mneisch
AG
Last year I didn't let my buddy talk me into getting a bear tag as I was convinced it was worthless. Sure enough, the first day we sit for hours and watch the biggest black bear I've ever seen and couldn't do anything about it. We saw him again the next morning in the same oak mott gorging on acorns, and made the decision to run into town and buy a tag. Guess what we didn't see again after that?
cupofjoe04
AG
mneisch said:

Last year I didn't let my buddy talk me into getting a bear tag as I was convinced it was worthless. Sure enough, the first day we sit for hours and watch the biggest black bear I've ever seen and couldn't do anything about it. We saw him again the next morning in the same oak mott gorging on acorns, and made the decision to run into town and buy a tag. Guess what we didn't see again after that?

Dude, if I had a dollar for every time I have heard some version of that exact story, I could buy a lifetime license today…
BradMtn346
Bear insurance, bear tag, the tag is insurance you will not see one. If you are camping, worth the $100.

We had piles of bears late August to late September. Still plenty of food here, but their cycle is changing. Not near as active. Haven't had one on camera for a few weeks.
mneisch
AG
We actually ran into him again 3 days later. 50 yards from the truck hiking out right at legal light. Unfortunately it was MZ season and just too difficult to make out front from back with iron sights.
lazuras_dc
AG
Can someone give me the skinny on mule deer ?

I've got a fair handle of elk as far as when the rut is , more or less general tactics of each season.

I'm generally clueless on mule deer. Let's just pick colorado as my example state. Can someone hit me with some quick pros and cons of each season of archery/ eary versus late rifle. When the rut is. And general tactics ?
BradMtn346
lazuras_dc said:

Can someone give me the skinny on mule deer ?

I've got a fair handle of elk as far as when the rut is , more or less general tactics of each season.

I'm generally clueless on mule deer. Let's just pick colorado as my example state. Can someone hit me with some quick pros and cons of each season of archery/ eary versus late rifle. When the rut is. And general tactics ?

I live in Colorado, and mule deer are probably my favorite big game animal. Archery is tough, they are usually in bachelor groups. The big one might not have a clue, but the little 2 point(Colorado 2 point) will bust you. Muzzleloader is the same time. Same issues. Best thing about these hunts is they are more scoutable. Where you find them the week before the season, they will still be in the area.

Next season is second rifle. This year it starts late October. The deer are on the move. Leaving summer range for winter range will be in between. Just starting to think about the rut.

3rd rifle. Mid November. Definitely rut is starting. Bucks are stupid but can travel a lot. If you find a good buck, don't wait. He might be miles away chasing a doe tomorrow.

4th rifle. Lots of points to draw. As late as 3rd is now, not worth it in my opinion. Over Thanksgiving weekend. Rut is starting to slow. It used to be super popular because it was the only one in the rut, but as the seasons have been moved later, 3rd is just as good.

Hope that helps.
BradMtn346

On the board with my "west of the highway" cow tag filled. My cousin filled his either sex first season tag at the same time, but I missed getting a picture.

Love my green pack frame for elk.

Son and I chased a small bull this evening. He had brow tines, and we could've killed him, but I wasn't totally sure he was legal. Never got a good enough look at him after that.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Quote:

Love my green pack frame for elk.

Love this comment! Congratulations, dude!
BradMtn346
So I found a picture of my cousin's elk. Kind of.

This was the first elk we have ever had to part out on this property. The guy on the right with a grin on his face is supper happy he just lost the title of "worst pack out ever." He carried most of it to the truck in anticipation of busting my cousin's chops. He had the bad judgment to shoot an elk about 10 years ago when the tractor tire was flat. Had to gut it on the ground, drag it to a ditch with the pickup, then drag it into the pickup by hand. Not acceptable. Busted his chops for 10 years about that. Now it's my cousin's turn.
harge57
AG
Driving back from Colorado now.

We finally found a legal bull and killed it yesterday.

Quick summary
Day 1 - Scouting - checked trailheads and got a lay of the land. One trailhead/area was an absolute mad house other areas seemed like moderate pressure. Set up a quick base camp and then packed in a spike camp hoping to get above the pressure on opening day.

Day 2 - Up high on a ridge at daylight and spotted some elk one basin over, couldn't tell if there was a bull but we went after them. Worked our way over and above them all day. It was only 3 cows. Hiked 2 basins back over grabbed camp and glassed the evening.

Day 3 - Hiked back up to the ridge we left the evening before and spotted some elk a 1000 feet down in a cut. Potentially legal bull was with them. We watched them move up to bed. We checked one more ridge over then made a play on them for the evening. Plan worked out perfectly and had the elk at 50 yards but the bull was not legal just a tall forked spike. We did however also glass some elk several miles a way on a couple big high openings.

Day 4 - we head across the road to where we glassed up the elk the night before. Caught them late in the morning headed to bed, and confirmed there was a legal bull with them. We spent all day climbing over basins and then got to where we could glass into where we thought they were bedded. It was just too crazy thick so we ended up setting up and calling for 10 minutes. I actually smelled the elk and then we caught him trying to cross the bottom to get to us. He disappeared to the left trying to get to us. He popped out at 40 yards and my brother shot him frontal and dropped him.

Was about a 2.5 hour pack out with some pretty gnarly side hilling and steep ups and downs.

Day 5 - today - slept in to 630. Cooked bacon and eggs and made the 5 hour round trip for the rest of the pack out. Seems like there was not much success based off of talking to people and lack of gunshots.

Thanks to cupofjoe for reaching out.
lazuras_dc
AG
Awesome, getting it done! Did you hunt 77? Did CupofJoe give you good intel ?
arrow
AG
Congrats harge! You guys are good killers of elk.
AgLA06
AG
The photos aren't showing up for me!!!
harge57
AG
AgLA06 said:

AgLA06
AG
harge57 said:

AgLA06 said:

Insert.

George S Patton's "God help me, I do love it!"
Hoyt Ag
AG
I sent those podcasts to you this am, so that is a start. I'm a big fan of Robby Denning and Jason Carter. But check out the Backcountry Hunting podcast. Joseph has a ton of GREAT guests that really go into detail about mulies. We have talked at length about it but I get more fired up for mule deer than elk or bear. Sure, I love hearing the bugles and everything with elk hunting, but I get more fired up for mule deer season than anything. I have a second season tag in GMU11.
harge57
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Awesome, getting it done! Did you hunt 77? Did CupofJoe give you good intel ?

We stayed over in 78. We saw elk every day just not many bulls.
cupofjoe04
AG
Way to go man! You guys did great! Looks like you guys worked plenty hard for that bull, and earned every inch of it. Good job!

Lots of people are eating tag soup so far this year, we need some snow to start piling them up a little more (supposed to get some this weekend up high).
mneisch
AG
I highly recommend Remi Warren for mule deer strategies as well. He's one of my favorite to go to.
Todd 02
AG
And into the woods I go, to lose my mind and find my soul. - John Muir

Todays the day. NM Unit 51 muleys.

Saw a few does scouting yesterday. Hopefully a buck slips up within range.

Good luck to all those afield this weekend!
DG96
AG
arrow
AG
Stud bull! Great hunt.

Are you a Nevada resident? Bunch of bonus points? I grab a point each year for Nevada elk but it's definitely a long term play.

Congrats!
DG96
AG
No. I got the tag as a non resident. Just got lucky.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Holy smokes! Great job, that is a great bull!
AgLA06
AG
Unreal.

That's got to be pushing 400, right?
txaggie02
AG
Bad ass! Well done!
Todd 02
AG
Todd 02 said:

And into the woods I go, to lose my mind and find my soul. - John Muir

Todays the day. NM Unit 51 muleys.

Saw a few does scouting yesterday. Hopefully a buck slips up within range.

Good luck to all those afield this weekend!

Trip report:

Struck out! Saw a dozen or so deer; a real nice buck on the side of the road in a different unit after shooting hours, a forkhorn that gave us the slip, a spike, and the rest does. Saw a lot of elk, like 150+, mostly on the road at night.

It was sloppy muddy in places after snow last Thursday. Got high centered going down hill on a road with deep ruts on Monday evening. There wasn't much I could do once we fell off into the ruts. Broke my passenger side CV axle in the chaos. Took us six hours to get out and couldn't have done it without some Good Samaritans that we were able to attract by flashing SOS with the headlights. Saw about 75-100 elk on the drive back to the campground after getting unstuck.

Wasted half the day yesterday buying a CV axle and tools to replace it. Had the new one on in under 25 minutes.

Learned a lot on my first trip out. Saw deer every day but one. This isn't a great unit for deer. Most people we talked to hadn't seen many, if any. I think I'd return for elk though.

In 2021, I made a resolution to apply for a western hunt and be in good enough shape to go if drawn. Proud to say I accomplished that in 2022.

I'm ready to go back home and hunt some familiar territory!
AgEng06
AG
Overdue CO 2nd Rifle Hunt Report:

For CO 2nd rifle this season, we were hunting the same area we hunted in 2018 and 2019. I shot my first bull here in 2018 and a forky muley in 2019. This trip was bittersweet because it was going to be the first year my dad built points and would draw a deer tag, but he passed away in January 2022. Overall, this hunting season has been hard without him here (especially when my son killed his first deer yesterday). For this trip, there were 4 of us: me, my brother, my buddy Sam, and AgEng08 from on here. Between all of us, we had 2 deer tags, 3 elk tags, and 1 bear tag. Ambitious, I know...

We arrived on Friday before season started to snow/ice from a storm earlier in the week. Temps were good (freezing overnight, 40-50s during the day), but the mud and snow made the roads very sketchy and the hiking difficult with mud-caked boots. There was also the threat of more bad weather starting Wednesday of the next week, so we wanted to try to fill some tags quickly incase we had to leave early.

We actually saw more elk on this trip than we had the other 2 years combined, but just couldn't find any legal bulls. On Sunday (the 2nd day of season), Sam and I were glassing on a ridge overlooking some mixed oak brush, an old burn, and open valleys. I spotted a mule deer buck feeding at around 550 yards away and decided to make a move. I dropped down the ridge and made my way through the cedar and oak brush. Sam stayed on the ridge to watch. I was able to close the distance to about 200 yards undetected, largely due to the fact that there was a small rise between me and the buck and I was downwind of him. When I peeked over to locate the buck, I noticed there was also a legal bull now standing within 50 yards of him! The buck was broadside and had his attention focused on the elk, so I settled in on my shooting sticks and squeezed off the shot. I saw him hump up and then drop and kick after the shot, so I knew he was down.

The next part of this story, I wouldn't have believed unless I was there... After I shot the buck, the bull looked around for a minute and then starting working his way right toward me! I only had a deer tag, and Sam was up on the ridge with an elk tag. Luckily, Sam was paying attention, and when the bull started working my way he scrambled down off of the ridge towards us. The bull worked down the ridge he was on and then back up to me, walking within 10 yards of where I was crouched on the ground and then down the ridge behind me (I'll try to get the video of this to load). Since I knew Sam was coming, I laid flat on the ground to stay out of the way of a potential shot... which came a few minutes later. Sam had met up with the bull in a small valley between us and shot him too. We just filled a deer and bull tag within about 10 minutes of each other!

My buck is small, but given the hunt circumstances I was more than happy to shoot him. This was Sam's first elk, so obviously his excitement was through the roof. We hunted hard a couple more days, but were unable to turn up any more legal deer or elk for the other tags.

AgEng06
AG
Sorry to hear about your troubles, Todd. But it sounds like a good trip still. Now that you've got the mountain in your blood, there's no going back!
DG96
AG
Arizona otc deer tags for 2023 went on sale this morning. Only 285 left from the 2800 total. I guess that hunt won't be one you can just go do anymore. It will sell out in a day.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.