Outdoors
Sponsored by

2022 Western Hunting Thread

47,579 Views | 496 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TH36
BCO07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also this doesn't suck for lunch and a nap
cupofjoe04
AG
BCO07 said:

Fresh sign everywhere, but only 2 distant bugles this morning. Good news is that we have the place to ourself on otc tags. Do I leave the fresh sign in pursuit of a bull willing to play?

Stay flexible, you will find them! I think they are starting to heat up. Had 2 friends kill REALLY nice bulls near Leadville in the past 2 days.

I may be DEAD WRONG, but I've heard the story 1,000 times of someone who was covered up in fresh sign all week, but saw no elk. I always think "Well, I can't eat fresh sign. So unless there is a fresh elk with the sign, then it is just a picture of were elk were, not necessarily where they will be."
AgLA06
AG
BCO07 said:

Fresh sign everywhere, but only 2 distant bugles this morning. Good news is that we have the place to ourself on otc tags. Do I leave the fresh sign in pursuit of a bull willing to play?

My take.

Never leave elk to find elk.

But if you don't actually get into them quickly, sign doesn't matter.
Hoyt Ag
AG
You're welcome
Hoyt Ag
AG
I say give it a day or two. You have time. Also remember there could be hunters behind them and they may get pushed to you.
BCO07
AG
Tag soup this year. Got pushed out early due to the weather. Enjoyed the walk in the woods and learned a lot for my first go at this elk thing. Now to surprise the kids by being home early and take the boys teal hunting

Beautiful country

Todd 02
AG
What do y'all carry for first aid in the backcountry?

DIY kit or something from the store?
BCO07
AG
Mine is diy.

a few tabs of motrin, Tylenol and benadryl.
Bandaids
Roll of gauze
Shears
Mole skin
Tourniquet
Sam splint w/ace bandage
cupofjoe04
AG
A few meds (advil, Imodium, phenergin, pepto, Benadryl, etc)
Band aids
Mole skin
Neosporin
Gauze & Cling Wrap
Ace Bandage
Zip Stitches (get some of these, seriously)
Tourniquet
Aloe
Burn cream
Duct tape

Maybe a couple other things I'm forgetting. It's a very small bag that I pack DIY with single use/sealed sort of stuff.
lazuras_dc
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

A few meds (advil, Imodium, phenergin, pepto, Benadryl, etc)
Band aids
Mole skin
Neosporin
Gauze & Cling Wrap
Ace Bandage
Zip Stitches (get some of these, seriously)
Tourniquet
Aloe
Burn cream
Duct tape

Maybe a couple other things I'm forgetting. It's a very small bag that I pack DIY with single use/sealed sort of stuff.

Similar and add Israeli bandage , Sam splint, water purification tabs , paracord, lighter , and a space blanket
harge57
AG
I also keep the following:

Vaseline
Gold Bond
Stick Sunscreen
Petzl e lite

Have used all of them.

Also if you don't have/use leukotape then you need to. It is by far the best stuff for blisters bandages etc. I unfortunately have developed an allergy to the adhesive. I use athletic tape/ duct tape now but it's not nearly as effective as leukotape.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Tough few days of hunting. Saw just cows and moose.
BradMtn346
Going to brag on my hunter a little bit. Mandy Cotten has been hunting bears for the last several days on our place. Last night she finally connected with this dry sow. She made a perfect heart shot and the bear only went about 30 yards. She was hunting by herself. Her husband is an outfitter and was busy with clients. I was on standby to help if she killed. We found her pretty quick, but in an ugly spot. Decided to go find more help and a better photographer for her fist bear. These are shots Jerad Cotten took.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
That's awesome!
meggy09
AG
Anyone have a 161 moose tag??
BradMtn346
My wife drew a buck pronghorn tag for 49, 50, 500, and 501 this year. Basically South Park. Family used to own a ranch there, so this was my old stomping grounds. I knew where all the BLM was before OnX.

Opening morning another hunter was already on the buck we had decided to go after, so we went looking. We found a really good buck on some BLM. Made a move and got in range and we're getting set up when something spooked his does. Pretty sure it was a fox.

Back to the drawing board. Found several other bucks, on public, but real close to the private line, so we were not comfortable with the set up.

The scenery was pretty decent.

Rain moved in so we decided to call it a little early and hit it in the morning. Just about to head out when the rain returned.

Found a tiny buck, we call them squibs, first thing. Passed. Ran into some other hunters that took a pass on a buck, so we gave it a try. Used some cows to hide our approach, made it to about 250 and decided to try.

He was nervous, and not staying still much. Swing and a miss. Clean miss. I glassed him for another for about 400 yards and he was fine.

Pretty dejected, we were trying to form a plan. Looked in on the squib, still there but not ready to settle. As we turned around I saw something. Glassed a good buck on private, but headed towards the BLM the squib was on. So we got out there a bit and he just kept coming. We had to move on him a little. He was not bothered by us, but seemed to have somewhere to go. Finally got him stopped and my wife made a decent shot. A touch low, but should've done the trick. He stayed up, facing dead away, for longer than I liked, so she put another one in him. As small as they are, they can be tough.

He was better than I thought. Both horns measured right at 14 inches. Good buck anywhere.

Borrowed my buddy's tent. The stove came in handy.

Meat pole we put up at camp.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Congratulations!
AgEng06
AG
Hell yes! Congrats to you and your wife.
cupofjoe04
AG
Awesome! That is a great buck, nice cutters! Way to go amigo
lazuras_dc
AG
What a fantastic post.

Dead Animal, Wall Tent, Great Scenery, Rule # 1 followed.
AgDad121619
AG
Lazurus-DC - who was the New Mexico outfitter you recommended from your hunt last year? I talked to him earlier this year but didn't save his website.

Didn't get to go this year and I'm ready to book something for next year
cupofjoe04
AG
I think it was Wes Armenta with Bull Valley Outfitters, but I'll let Laz confirm that.
lazuras_dc
AG
That's him! Got the original rec from CupOfJoe04. The guy knows how to hunt and has the honeyhole! They tagged out again this year for archery too.

I think our plan is to put in with him for 2023. Our group is too discordant to put in together for any Colorado draws, unfortunately. One guy has 17 points, I have 5, and the other two have 2 or 3 pts. May hunt a Colorado OTC as a backup plan
AgLA06
AG
Didn't have a hunt planned this year, but my wife is upset there isn't any elk left in the freezer and an unexpected opportunity appeared.

I'll be chasing cows in New Mexico the weekend before Thanksgiving and really looking forward to it.

Y'all save some for me.
Zjones920
What do you guys know about hunting up near Steamboat Springs? I'm headed up there in a few weeks. I think we will be hunting unit 14 is my understanding.
Hoyt Ag
AG
What exactly are you wanting to know? Thats a broad question.
Zjones920
Really just looking for experiences up there. What I need to expect. This is our first time out of state and looking for as much information as I can gather before we leave.
Hoyt Ag
AG
We have our first snow coming in a week, but its been snowing some on the peaks when we had rain in the lower elevations. The weather has been phenomenal lately, 60 in the day and 30 at night. As far as what to expect, it depends where and with who in the unit you will be. 14 is mostly National Forest, and is a OTC unit for elk in 2nd and 3rd season, so if you are hunting during then, you could have a lot of pressure. That area is also an alley way for wolves migrating from Wyoming. Its a great unit to hunt if you get away from the main trails. The unit as a whole has a lot of access points but not much for ATVs. Horseback is ideal or alpaca.
Zjones920
I believe we are hunting 3rd season. 29th-5th sound right? We will be staying on/near Storm Mountain Ranch, but will be hunting the public. We are supposed to get maps where we are allowed to hunt because we cannot hunt on the ranch itself is my basic understanding.

If I've read everything right, we can hunt with suppressors correct?
AgEng06
AG
That's 2nd rifle.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Correct on hunting with a can. I do and prefer it. Just remember it's longer and more stuff an animal can see move around
harge57
AG
Brother drew a leftover 1st rifle elk tag in 77/78 last week.

Talk about rapid e scouting.

Headed that way Thursday.
cupofjoe04
AG
harge57 said:

Brother drew a leftover 1st rifle elk tag in 77/78 last week.

Talk about rapid e scouting.

Headed that way Thursday.

That's my backyard, literally. You should be able to hunt 77/78/771 on that tag.

It has been SLOW here this year. We have had TONS of rain, and the elk seem to be spread out with water and forage everywhere. Most guides killed way below the average during archery. I have only helped one buddy kill an elk so far this year- (normally I have had my hands on 5 or so elk by Oct 1). Usually on years like this, hunting is really tough until the first big snow, then they all pile up and head down, and it is a freaking massacre.

Traffic is picking way up, so you will be out here with 10,000 of your new orange clad best friends. But you can find some places to get away from the crowds (this is paramount during 1st rifle). I would highly recommend preparing to put some serious miles on your boots. The elk have been quiet and spread apart. So, focusing on 1 area is not likely to be productive this year. But they are out there, if you can do enough walking to find them.

Good luck!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Your data points make me feel much better about my archery hunt and lines up with what I have heard from others.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Good luck!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.