Outdoors
Sponsored by

2022 Western Hunting Thread

47,573 Views | 496 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TH36
Credible Source
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am, going with a buddy that's a resident. I bought a bear tag as insurance so we're going for sure
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Anybody get their co moose points/rejection letter yet? I haven't and am concerned that i might draw and have to forego all work and family responsibilities this fall to go get my moose...
AgLA06
AG
Charismatic Megafauna said:

Anybody get their co moose points/rejection letter yet? I haven't and am concerned that i might draw and have to forego all work and family responsibilities this fall to go get my moose...
You poor thing.
AgEng06
AG

Challenge accepted.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Srsly though... did you guys get your points emails yet? I even logged into the system and see that the last couple years they added my points on May 6
AgEng06
AG
I have not gotten anything yet.
cahoots
Any non-resident OTC guidance for archery in Colorado? Struck out in NM and CO draws
Maverick06
AG
How have you struck out in CO if draw hasn't occurred yet?
BradMtn346

Srsly though... did you guys get your points emails yet? I even logged into the system and see that the last couple years they added my points on May 6

The moose, elk, deer and pronghorn, maybe bear too, draws happen after the Wildlife Commission finalizes license numbers at their May meeting. They wait for fawn and calf survival numbers before making their final decisions. That is why the Colorado draw takes so long. Results are usually out near June 1.
Hoyt Ag
AG
I'm about to sign on with a new outfitter. Me and the old one had to part ways. I believe in quality, not quantity of a hunt. If I hear of landowner tags available for deer or OTC opportunities I'm happy to post them.
AgLA06
AG
That would be awesome.

Good luck with the new crew.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Best of luck and keep us posted on tags!
Hoyt Ag
AG
I will be training some young whippersnappers on antelope and mule deer this year so they can work up to large game. I wish I had done that when I got out of school. All 4 of them work 30 on 30 off in energy and do this on off days.

If I find tags, you would literally have to be ready in 2 to 4 weeks time. If I am free I can assist you or at least show you where to go and such.
Credible Source
AG
Damn, let me know if you do!
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Thanks Brad
cahoots
Maverick06 said:

How have you struck out in CO if draw hasn't occurred yet?
Anticipating the worst as this is my first year.
Hoyt Ag
AG
I think point creep is going to screw so many people over this year. There is a good thread on Rokslide about it
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
cahoots said:

Any non-resident OTC guidance for archery in Colorado? Struck out in NM and CO draws

Get in the best shape of your life, hike father in than everyone else, don't call too much (don't bugle at all), temper your expectations, have fun!
Hoyt Ag
AG
What unit are you thinking of OTC? I live in Meeker so if any of the GMUs around there, let me know.
AgLA06
AG

cahoots said:

Get in the best shape of your life, hike father in than everyone else, don't call too much (don't bugle at all), temper your expectations, have fun!

This seems to be enough people's plan these days that I'm not sure just finding isolated pockets closer to roads isn't better.
AgEng06
AG
AgLA06 said:

cahoots said:

This seems to be enough people's plan these days that I'm not sure just finding isolated pockets closer to roads isn't better.

Yeah, there are definitely exceptions to most all that advice.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Shhhh
cupofjoe04
AG
AgLA06 said:

cahoots said:

This is TERRIBLE advice. You HAVE to hike in 12+ miles, or you won't find a single elk. Period.

Please, hike in further and call extra loud when you do.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I you don't die at least once on the way in, you've not gone far enough in. And excellent advice about the calling! I prefer to cow call at least every 50 yards of ground I gain. At the very least, it helps me confirms my lungs are still working
Hoyt Ag
AG
Quote:

I you don't die at least once on the way in, you've not gone far enough in.
So true. I remember my first trip in the backcountry on foot, we wore ourselves out before we even started hunting. First day on the ridges we may have hike 2 miles that day. We were spent!
Log
AG
Interested in DIY antelope tags if you have them. Don't need guiding, just a tag and turn me loose.
AggieJames09
AG
Going elk hunting in WY ! Draw results out
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Congratulations
BQ_2010
AG
Drawn for a Wyoming cow/calf in area 110! Had two preference points for a bull, but looks like 4 points for a "General Area" bull tag is the number.
harge57
AG
No luck in WY.

My options are running out.
cupofjoe04
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

Quote:

I you don't die at least once on the way in, you've not gone far enough in.
So true. I remember my first trip in the backcountry on foot, we wore ourselves out before we even started hunting. First day on the ridges we may have hike 2 miles that day. We were spent!

Oh yeah, I've done that plenty of times. The furthest I ever helped haul an elk was just shy of 12 miles solely on foot. It was an absolute suckfest.

I probably shouldn't tell you that the last 2 elk I have killed were both within 1/2 mile of my vehicle. One I 'packed out' on a snow sled as it was all downhill. And the last bull I was a part of the killing (my Dad shot it), we went and got the truck and only had to haul about a hundred yards... and it was one of the larger bulls I've ever been a part of hunting.

Maybe I'm getting smarter as I get older? But several of my friends still want to hunt WAY back, so I end up putting in plenty of miles regardless.

Track&Recover
Didn't get Wyoming elk either. Which might be a blessing in disguise as I'm very confident I'll be archery elk hunting and rifle mule deer Colorado this year. Plus, I still love whitetail hunting in Texas. only so many days allowed in the woods before I would attain psycho hunter status, lol.
Credible Source
AG
Where do we check for WY elk? I logged in today and it didn't show anything

NeverMind, got the email. WY is gay
HouAg12
AG
CO results this week?
lazuras_dc
AG
Got an email I needed to update credit card on file. I bet it's close!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.