Outdoors
Sponsored by

2021 Big Game Draw Deadlines

58,771 Views | 709 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ttha_aggie_09
JeremiahJohnson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A few draw deadlines are quickly approaching.
lazuras_dc
AG
Going for NM archery this year
aggie0959
Need to buy my Az, Co and wy points
Aggie Hunter
AG
Just finish mine for Wyoming elk.
agenjake
Point buying year for me, but looking forward to tracking the thread.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I will do my usuals in Arizona and Colorado. Not sure what else I add this year. Most likely just continue building points.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Point year for me unless the stars align for an elk hunt.
TH36
This will be my first year. Doing research on what units to draw to try and draw for Mule deer/rifle season with zero points. Lotta reading! Been fun so far though
hbc07
AG
Has the 2021 western states hunt thread been started yet?
JeremiahJohnson
AG
With Wyoming due in a week, I figured it was time
Ornithopter
AG
Has anybody ever tried to draw rifle deer in SD?

My in laws live there and we'd like to do a family hunt. My family would be non-resident.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
lazuras_dc said:

What unit?
AgEng06
AG
No blue star icon on thread. YOU HAD ONE JOB.
JeremiahJohnson
harge57
AG
BullSprig07
AG
Any other OnX elite members see that they are now including access to TopRut's draw odds with your membership?

I'm already paying for GoHunt for draw odds, so will be interesting to compare to TopRut and see if it's worth keeping both (I probably will bc I like GoHunt for a lot of other reasons and I'm a research junkie).
Water Turkey07
aggie0959
I'll have to look into that. I like the bonus stuff gohunt give with the points on gear purchases. I guess at some point I will not need to buy new gear and it won't be benefitting. Oh who am I kidding I will never have enough gear.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I really like Huntin Fool as well. They send you a monthly magazine with draw odds and is a good read.
BullSprig07
AG
I already subscribe to Epic Outdoors (in addition to the aforementioned services), so adding a Huntin' Fool subscription would be really appropo by name.
Water Turkey07
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Yeah i do ONx, HuntinFool and GoHunt. I like Huntin Fool probably the best so far for the simple fact of the magazine
mneisch
AG
I noticed that too, but subscribed to Gohunt before they partnered together. Their layout and filtering is better than similar services I have used.

I think my buddy and I will chase mule deer with a muzzleloader in the same Colorado unit we have had success in the last 2 years. Any recommendations for a first time smokepole guy? Looking at the CVA Accura V2 50 cal.
lazuras_dc
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

lazuras_dc said:

What unit?
North of Pecos, believe its 46.
TH36
Is the $149 a once a year payment for A GoHunt account? I can't find anything on their site that says yes or no.

(Edit.....I see it says annually)

Also, do y'all consider it a must have? MonsterMuleys.com post draw odds so I don't see a need to pay for that info. What other useful stuff is on there?
Player To Be Named Later
AG
lazuras_dc said:

lazuras_dc said:

What unit?
We bought a small piece of land in Unit 34 last summer, so I'm going to start putting in for that unit this year. Hopefully one year I'll hit on it. Supposed to be some great elk in that unit.

Good luck!
stdeb11
AG
I got the CVA optima V2 this past year. With the williams precision sights (CO legal) I'm easily shooting a 3-4" group at 150yds with it...no complaints at all with the muzzleloader. Lose a bit of low light performance with that sight vs fiber optics but worth it for the accuracy
lazuras_dc
AG

lazuras_dc said:

lazuras_dc said:

What unit?
We bought a small piece of land in Unit 34 last summer, so I'm going to start putting in for that unit this year. Hopefully one year I'll hit on it. Supposed to be some great elk in that unit.

Good luck!

Thanks, you too!
No landowner tags for you ?
BullSprig07
AG
That was going to be my question too
Water Turkey07
cupofjoe04
AG
stdeb11 said:

I got the CVA optima V2 this past year. With the williams precision sights (CO legal) I'm easily shooting a 3-4" group at 150yds with it...no complaints at all with the muzzleloader. Lose a bit of low light performance with that sight vs fiber optics but worth it for the accuracy

Anyone have experience with the Williams Precision vs Ghost Ring?

I've got a Ghost Ring on my Rem 700 UML, and it is pretty good. I like it for quick shots under 100 yards. It's very intuitive for that sort of thing- I don't have to think. It's also pretty accurate- as I feel confident out to 150 for a deer sized target- but any further and it's really guessing where that post is.

What is it like shooting the WP? Is it pretty natural? More accuracy at farther distances? I know my rifle will shoot better than my iron sights- because it does so with a scope.
cupofjoe04
AG
BullSprig07 said:

That was going to be my question too

If I'm not mistaken, the NM landowner tags are depentant on how many the F&G Dep issues for that property- and isn't guaranteed. I know someone with a NM ranch, and he never knows exactly how many he will get. The tags are also only valid for his land, I believe.

So- unless the owner has huntable elk on his property, landowner tags would not be issued. However, a property owner who meets criteria can draw unit wide tags as a resident- which is how I read the post. But I could be wrong on all that .
BullSprig07
AG
Ya from what little I know that sounds correct. Sounds like he has a small property, but maybe if he raises enough cane about how elk are eating his wife's begonias they will give him a landowner tag. Never know.
Water Turkey07
Player To Be Named Later
AG
lazuras_dc said:

lazuras_dc said:

lazuras_dc said:

What unit?

Good luck!

Thanks, you too!
No landowner tags for you ?

By small piece of land, I mean 1 acre..... in a semi remote "development"....

But I can be out in the Lincoln National Forest in short order. We are south of Cloudcroft about 30 miles.
lazuras_dc
AG
1 acre aint no ranch
JeremiahJohnson
AG
lazuras_dc said:

1 acre aint no ranch

Haha it is when it backs up to 1,000,000 acres of BLM or National forest
Aggie Hunter
AG
Epic has done my applications for years and done a great job. Easy to deal with and takes tons of stress off my busy schedule. I have used Huntin' ful in the past and have been slightly more impressed with epic.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
lazuras_dc said:

1 acre aint no ranch
That's why I called it "property" and not a ranch. And in less than 1 mile, I'm out the gate and on to the Lincoln National Forest land.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.