Outdoors
Sponsored by

2021 Big Game Draw Deadlines

59,275 Views | 709 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ttha_aggie_09
Aggie Hunter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stayed the night in Dubois last night. We are packing up the mules now and heading to the trailhead. We have about a 4 hour ride in today. Planning on getting everything set up this evening and gun season opens tomorrow. Hopefully when I ride out next Thursday I have a story and pictures to share.

hbc07
AG
Sully Dog said:

hbc07 said:

Sully Dog said:

hbc07 said:

Got my WYO-25 cow tag. Went in with 0 points so I'm happy to pull anything
Good work. That's a good unit. Bring an atv if you have one.
Noted. May be able to bring FIL's, but no guarantee. It'll be my uncle and I out there, and we're currently trying to game plan everything since it'll be the first hunt out West for both of us. Currently trying to make a packing list and figuring out what i have/what i need to upgrade/what i need to buy.
I was going to let you know I was down on the edge of 25 last week and saw a group of cows moving along Limestone Mtn Road and Beaver Creek. I hope you are getting psyched for your hunt.
Just now seeing this! Will have to investigate that area.

Getting ready to leave in a week for Wyoming. Checking and double checking my packing list. New backpack arrived last week. Got my new scope sighted in two weeks ago. Have to make a last minute run to REI tomorrow for a few small things. But I think I'm ready.

Biggest issue now is just figuring out where to camp and hunt.
[url]http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com[/url]
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Found some good bucks tonight - don't have any pics of them - but do have a few of this afternoon.

AgEng06
AG
Speaking of bucks... This guy was right in the middle of Pagosa the other morning.

Track&Recover
Archery hunted unit 50 colorado the 20th - 25th.
No kills. Bulls were in bachelor groups, not talking at all, buried in the timber. Full moon, clear skies and hot.
Gave it our all but couldn't connect. Still had a great time though!

Will be back in same unit for rifle season-3 Mullies. Hoping to post a successful harvest pic eventually!
Sully Dog
hbc07 said:

Sully Dog said:

hbc07 said:

Sully Dog said:

hbc07 said:

Noted. May be able to bring FIL's, but no guarantee. It'll be my uncle and I out there, and we're currently trying to game plan everything since it'll be the first hunt out West for both of us. Currently trying to make a packing list and figuring out what i have/what i need to upgrade/what i need to buy.
I was going to let you know I was down on the edge of 25 last week and saw a group of cows moving along Limestone Mtn Road and Beaver Creek. I hope you are getting psyched for your hunt.

Getting ready to leave in a week for Wyoming. Checking and double checking my packing list. New backpack arrived last week. Got my new scope sighted in two weeks ago. Have to make a last minute run to REI tomorrow for a few small things. But I think I'm ready.

Tons of free camping in that area. It shouldn't be a problem.
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Pronghorn down!
KatyAg01
AG
Well... we're waiting!
Log
AG
Whereabouts?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Colorado, east if CO Springs. Service isn't great will post pics in the morning.
Yesterday
AG
Shot this goat yesterday morning on BLM land south east of Gillette Wyoming. Camped in a beautiful spot about a mile
East of the Powder River. Went out on opening day to hike in and saw this boy about 900 yards off the road. Got out and started sneaking on him. My BIL who was basically my guide said he was decent but since I only had 1.5 days to hunt that I should take him. We got to about 350 yards and I put a .308 through his back with my AR10 and wounded him. He dropped but popped back up and didn't move. Just stared right at us. Waited about 10 minutes for him to turn but no dice.

We decided to back off and sneak in around to get a broadside. Took us about 10 minutes to do it and sure enough he laid down but was still upright. We decide to walk right at him to see if we could get him to stand up and turn. Sure enough about 150 yards out he did and I was able to put a fatal blow into him.

He's not special but he's my first Antelope and first game I've ever sneaked on even if it was only for 20 minutes. After we cleaned, quartered and packed him out we went glassing first my BIL's buck. We hiked in about 2 miles and spotted a big buck about 800 yards. We went after him and along the way a doe and a decent sized buck popped up. My BIL took him immediately. That's the exit wound in the picture.

Great times and man do I love the scenery in Wyoming. First one is me. Second is my BIL.

Log
AG
Public?
Richard Trickle
AG
&ct=g
ttha_aggie_09
AG
At the airport so the write up is not going to be phenomenal.

I bought a hunt a Mule Deer Banquet a few years back and it took me 3 years to draw the tag for this unit in CO (105). I have never been on an antelope hunt but have always been fascinated by them, probably due to the fact that we don't get to see many in Texas. When I used to drive to Montana and North Dakota for work I loved watching the open fields and spotting speed goats.

So, the hunt came along this weekend and we went out and scouted Friday afternoon. We found 3 really good bucks but the area we scouted was in 104, for the other guys hunting. I was wondering why we didn't scout 105 but the guides just laughed and said "we don't need to scout the ranch you're going to - you'll have plenty of options"…

Turns out they were right. We woke up and drove about 40-50 mins to the north and got the ranch where the hunt was to take place. Immediately after driving through the front gate we saw a massive buck by the ranch house and standing 108 yards away with a whole herd of doe behind him at 80-100 yards. We could have shot him but I was glad when the guide suggested waiting. He would have been awesome but I wanted to hunt and not "shoot"..

We started driving around and saw goats EVERYWHERE! It was actually really fun to watch the bucks work the does as they were In full rut. The big bucks had anywhere from 3-15 does in a group and just ran them hard. The bucks would keep them close and huddled in a group as smaller or less mature suitors we're frequently encroaching the groups. They were pretty aggressive towards the smaller bucks.

The terrain was pretty wicked and difficult to hunt. Although everything looks flat, there are several draws and bowls that don't look like they should be there. The lack of cover makes it really challenging as well. The goats would break over a hill and could be 10 yards on the other side or 1000 yards away.

Now, the bucks were stupid and had only thing on their mind… the doe. However, the doe were the problem. They have great eyesight and didn't like any movement on the ground or on foot. We were predominantly driving through the ranch roads and looking for a mature buck to put a stalk on.

The first buck we made a move on had good length and great cutters. He was preoccupied with 4 doe that busted us at 300 yards when we came over the hill on foot. He tried to keep them close but had to chase them off the ranch. Blown opportunity number one…

The second buck was a mature and massive buck with a group of 15-20 doe and 3-4 bucks working the perimeter. He was running hard to keep the bucks away and was oblivious we were 300 yards away. They managed to work on just the other side of a hill and we made a flank with the wind in our face to cut them off. As soon as we got to where they should have been, we looked out and a coyote was 120 yards down the draw and the antelope we're 800-1000 yards off in the distance, again on the neighboring property. Busted opportunity number 2.

It's now about 11:00 and we saw a group of 10-12 doe and 2 immature bucks. We knew there had to be a big buck with them but couldn't spot him. We decided it was worth the stalk and took off down a draw for about a 500 yard walk. We get down to where we think they should be and they walked right over the ridge into our faces. The doe spooked and ran about 300 yards away and then the buck we were hoping was with them sprinted after them to cut them off. He was a solid, mature buck with good hooks. He duct them off just as they were about breach the ridge and we'd lose sight of them. They stopped at 340 and then he continued to run them down the ridge until they got to about 300. Two other bucks came in and he started running them off while we laid prone. As he was running them off, the doe started working away from us again. I told the guide, I'm solid and can make this shot… he said if you feel comfortable, take it. He got down to 265 and turned broad side… Boom! Dropped in his tracks! Yes - with a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Great hunt and fantastic experience! Typed on mobile so please forgive the grammar and spelling.
Yesterday
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

At the airport so the write up is not going to be phenomenal.

I bought a hunt a Mule Deer Banquet a few years back and it took me 3 years to draw the tag in this unit in CO (105). I have never been on an antelope hunt but have always been fascinated by them, probably due to the fact that we don't get to see many in Texas. When I used to grave to Montana and North Dakota for work I loved watching the open fields and spotting speed goats.

So the hunt came along this weekend and we went out and scouted Friday afternoon. We found 3 really good bucks but the area we scouted was in 104, for the other guys hunting. I was wondering why we didn't scout 105 but the guides just laughed and said "we don't need to scout the ranch you're going to - you'll have plenty of options"…

Turns out they were right. We woke up and drove about 40-50 mins to the north and got the ranch where the hunt was to take place. Immediately after driving through the front gate we saw a massive buck by the ranch house and standing 108 yards away with a whole herd of doe behind him at 80-100 yards. We could have shot him but I was glad when the guide suggested waiting. He would have been awesome but I wanted to "hunt".

We started driving around and saw goats EVERYWHERE! It was actually really fun to watch the bucks work the does as they were In full rut. The big bucks had anywhere from 3-15 does in a group and just ran them hard. Keeping them close to him and huddle in a group as smaller or less mature suitors we're frequently encroaching the groups. They were pretty aggressive towards the smaller bucks.

The terrain was pretty wicked and difficult to hunt. Although everything looks flat, there are several draws and bowls that don't look like they should be there. The goats would break over a hill and could be 10 yards on the other side or 1000 yards away. It was pretty challenging.

Now, the bucks were stupid and had only thing on their mind… the does, however, were the problem. They have great eyesight and didn't like any movement on the ground or on foot. We were predominantly driving through the ranch roads and looking for a mature buck.

The first buck we made a move on had good length and great cutters. He was preoccupied with 4 doe that busted us at 300 yards when we came over the hill on foot. He tried to keep them close but had to chase them off the ranch. Blown opportunity number one…

The second buck was a mature and massive buck with a group of 15-20 doe and 3-4 bucks working the perimeter. He was running hard to keep the bucks away and was oblivious we were 300 yards away. They managed to work on just the other side of a hill and we made a flank with the wind in our face to cut them off. As soon as we got to where they should have been, we looked out and a coyote was 120 yards down the draw and the antelope we're 800-1000 yards off in the distance, again on the neighboring property. Busted opportunity number 2.

It's now about 11:00 and we saw a group of 10-12 doe and 2 immature bucks. We knew there had to be a big buck with them but couldn't spot him. We decided it was worth the stall and took off down a draw for about a 500 yard walk. We get down to where we think they should be and they walked right over the ridge into our faces. The doe spooked and ran about 300 yards away and the buck we were hoping was with them sprinted after them to cut them off. He did so just as they were about breach the ridge. They stopped at 340 and then he continued to run them down the ridge until they got to about 300. Two other bucks came in and he started running them off while we lay prone. As he was running them off, the doe started working away from us again. I told the guide, I'm solid and can make this shot… he said if you feel comfortable, take it. He got down to 265 and turned broad side… Boom! Dropped in his tracks! Yes - with a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Great hunt and fantastic experience! Typed on mobile so please forgive the grammar and spelling.

Nice Buck! Good shoot! I think speed goats are my new favorite. No waking up early and freezing. Go out at 10am and track these fast *******s.
FirefightAg
AG
Nice pronghorn. I hope to be going to WY in a year or so. I have 4 PP just waiting to get the time to go.
hbc07
AG
Sully Dog said:

hbc07 said:

Sully Dog said:

hbc07 said:

Sully Dog said:

hbc07 said:

I know, that's the problem!

I think the plan at the moment is to hunker down somewhere south of 287 and east of twin creek road and then just monkey around in there. biggest issue is i have no idea where the elk are right now.
[url]http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com[/url]
stdeb11
AG
Wyoming success. Start of the first day I went to check out an HMA I "drew" thinking it'd have less people. Turns out there were zero people and zero antelope. Managed to scrape some bumpers and get the truck on 3 wheels so that was fun. Did see a couple bull elk and the first sage grouse I've seen. After that headed to my first choice spot. On the way glassed up quite a few antelope and stalked in on 2 for a better look, but passed.

Day 2 spotted about 20+ antelope right out from where I camped. Decided to investigate one buck more, crept in thru an old stream bed and popped up about 250yds away. The buck and some does fed right in to 200yds. Watched him thru the scope for 10min or so deciding wether to shoot or keep searching. They finally started to feed back away and figured now or never and shot. After getting him packed out I did a bit more exploring of the area since hopefully can draw again in another couple years. Fun time.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Pics not working but congratulations!
FirefightAg
AG
What unit
stdeb11
AG
arrow
AG
Congrats on the pronghorns! Wyoming antelope is a great hunt.
BradMtn346
Nice goat!
hbc07
AG
hbc07 said:

Sully Dog said:

hbc07 said:

Sully Dog said:

hbc07 said:

Sully Dog said:

hbc07 said:

I know, that's the problem!

I think the plan at the moment is to hunker down somewhere south of 287 and east of twin creek road and then just monkey around in there. biggest issue is i have no idea where the elk are right now.
Took a look at the weather last night just to make sure things hadn't changed or if any adjustments needed to be made to the packing list... Instead of the historical high/low of ~50/25, this is our weather for next week.

So it's going to be a bit chilly. I'll survive, my uncle seems a bit worried though.
AgLA06
AG
Keep in mind for every 1000 feet of altitude it's generally 5 degrees cooler. My experience is it feels more than that.

So if that weather is from the closest town, make sure you're adjusting to better know the weather where you'll be on the mountain. And that's assuming the storm doesn't come in colder like what happened to us last time.
hbc07
AG
Good tip. That's forecasted at 7700', and for the most part I think we'll be between 6500'-7500'.
AgLA06
AG
I'd still be taking my -10 degree bag. Easier to unzip then to be cold.
shaynew1
AG
AgLA06 said:

It's 2021. With the materials they got out there now theres no reason to be cold.
AgDad121619
AG
lazuras_dc said:

AgDad121619 said:

Aggie Hunter said:

Leaving Wednesday for a horseback Wyoming elk hunt. Always get nervous am I packing to much or not packing enough. No matter how many times I do this I always worry. Guess that's part of the fun and memories.
interested to hear about it - a horse pack hunt is in my near future.
I've done 2 I can share my experience later today. Headed out of dove now
still interested in hearing about your horseback trips - how did you pick guides , how long did it take to draw the right tag, etc

Thinking hard about a Montana wilderness trip in middle of Sept. in '23. I applied for a point this year and will have 3 by then.
hbc07
AG
AgLA06 said:

I ended up getting a 0* bag last night. If the current forecast holds, the lows have bottomed out and are starting to come back up towards 20 so who knows what will happen.
Aggie Hunter
AG
Trying to get back home. Will try to right up a story today and share more pics of Wyoming Elk.

arrow
AG
Awesome bull! Congrats!
Yesterday
AG
Damn! Well done sir!
agenjake
I see you have the "now how the eff am I going to get this guy out of here" look on your face.

Excellent bull.
agenjake
Don't let anybody tell you that's not a special buck. Sounds like a great trip.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.