Outdoors
Sponsored by

2021 Big Game Draw Deadlines

59,288 Views | 709 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ttha_aggie_09
stdeb11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I like the WP sight. Very natural for me and surprisingly accurate for iron sights. I'm sure my muzzy shoots better than I can...I use their "BDC" sort of reticle. Supposedly has the hash mark for 175yds, however I sighted a little high at 100 so still dead on at 150yds. I'm not sure I'm comfortable enough yet shooting at critters any further than that yet.

I do like the idea of a ghost ring for closer quick shots and definitely think that'd that be more effective in timber. I mainly set mine up to try to chase antelope with it.
mneisch
AG
Plan to upgrade to the exact sight. I like the few upgrades on the Accura over the Optima, though I'm sure both would fit the bill. How difficult is it to find black powder components right now? Worried about powder and primers.
cupofjoe04
AG
I appreciate the feedback. I might have to try one out. It would be nice to have the ghost ring for sneaking timber for muleys, sitting water for elk, or stand hunting whitetails.

I'm thinking the WP might be a perfect sight for when I embark on a mule deer hunt above timberline- or for general elk hunting. Heck, I might even have to bring it to south Texas and stretch it's legs on a sendero or two!
stdeb11
AG
My buddy just got a muzzy and was able to find blackhorn 209, but no primers. They were sold out online and everywhere we checked as well as locally.
mneisch
AG
I'm assuming you're specifically talking about 209 primers?
stdeb11
AG
Yes. And more specifically the CCI magnum 209 primers. In testing found those to result in the quickest, most consistent fire compared to the others I tried (winchester and federal)...also I'm running the blackhorn 209 breech plug in the CVA.
mneisch
AG
Appreciate all your help. Trying to wrap my mind around all the blackpowder stuff has been a little overwhelming. The unit we hunt is also OTC elk, so I'm excited to get out there before the crowds hit and while the weather is still really nice.
lazuras_dc
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

lazuras_dc said:

1 acre aint no ranch
That's why I called it "property" and not a ranch. And in less than 1 mile, I'm out the gate and on to the Lincoln National Forest land.
Dont get me wrong, I'm super jealous but I was just playing off the guys on OB that say someones XXacre place is not a "ranch" haha
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Oh I know. No worries.
AgDad121619
AG
TH36 said:

Is the $149 a once a year payment for A GoHunt account? I can't find anything on their site that says yes or no.

(Edit.....I see it says annually)

Also, do y'all consider it a must have? MonsterMuleys.com post draw odds so I don't see a need to pay for that info. What other useful stuff is on there?
it gives a great rundown on each unit. And you get $50 credit that you can apply to their shop - I used them for my boots last year. If you are relatively new to western hunting I would recommend it. I am still using it this year and will re-up in Feb
AgDad121619
AG
Good article on Colorado black powder gear https://www.fieldandstream.com/how-to-build-best-muzzleloader-rig-for-western-big-game-hunting/

Been trying to talk my son into taking up bow hunting becasue I want to be out there when they are bugling. This looks like a great alternative. Also planning on getting preference point this year to apply for Montana rifle hunt in September 2022
TH36
Sounds good! Thanks for the advice. I'm gunna sign up. My research for this year has totally been lacking, I gotta hurry up and figure out what unit I'm gunna apply for.
TH36
Planning on doing the Montana thing as well. My wife's from up there and I've got some good intel to go off of from friends of hers up there for some low land mulies.
meggy09
AG
If you use a code for the 50 point credit with gohunt just realize those points expire after a year. Realized that last time I logged in.
AgLA06
AG
Someone (player to be named later, I'm looking at you) help me check my understanding of Spring Turkey in New Mexico.

I plan to hunt either 36 or your neck of the woods in 34 this spring. The spring permit draw deadline is 2/10/21. However, if I'm understanding this correctly the draw is only for a couple of very specific units and neither 34 or 36 requires a draw. All I need is to buy the spring turkey OTC when open and

• Hunting license
  • Habitat Stamp
  • Habitat Management & Access
  • OTC Turkey Permit

Am I understanding this correctly?
BullSprig07
AG
Tryin' to get a Merriam's for your turkey slam?
Water Turkey07
AgLA06
AG
Don't have any place to hunt Turkeys here in Texas. No one I know does either. The land we hunt doesn't hold turkeys. My Turkey hunting buddy live in San Diego. Ruidoso / Cloudcroft is almost exactly between us (12 hour drive).

He's come out every year for the past 5 to hunt our place and we've only killed 2 birds (double 5 years ago). I'd rather find a place that has a better chance of actually having turkeys. If I'm understanding it, all in about $100 to hunt turkeys in the national forest in New Mexico.
BullSprig07
AG
I'm in the same boat as you, going out of state for the second time in three years this spring for turkey (Kansas, Arkansas).
Water Turkey07
Player To Be Named Later
AG
AgLA06 said:

Someone (player to be named later, I'm looking at you) help me check my understanding of Spring Turkey in New Mexico.

I plan to hunt either 36 or your neck of the woods in 34 this spring. The spring permit draw deadline is 2/10/21. However, if I'm understanding this correctly the draw is only for a couple of very specific units and neither 34 or 36 requires a draw. All I need is to buy the spring turkey OTC when open and

• Hunting license
  • Habitat Stamp
  • Habitat Management & Access
  • OTC Turkey Permit

Am I understanding this correctly?
That's how I'm seeing it. I very well may go out there and hunt this spring. Don't have a cabin on our property yet, but I am thinking about just throwing a truck tent in the back of my truck and parking on our property and camping. If I hear anything different, I'll let you know. I need to get out there in the spring to mark off a section I need some dozer work to set our shed/cabin on this summer, so may as well go hunt too lol.

Edit - And there is definitely turkeys in the area. We've seen/heard them several times when driving around Timberon.
AgLA06
AG
Do y'all have trailer connections?
Player To Be Named Later
AG
No, I haven't even run electric or water to the property yet. But our lot really is not suited for any kind of trailer..... the driveway runs up hill and the turn is tight.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Think I decided on my NM elk application.

1st Choice Unit 34 Muzzleloader
2nd Choice Unit 34 Any Legal Weapon
3rd Choice Unit 36 Any Legal

Crazy that Muzzleloader for Unit 36 is $760 vs $535 for Any Legal Weapon season. Also the muzzleloader for neighboring Unit 34 is $535. Wonder what their rhyme or reason is to making the muzzleloader draw in 36 so much more expensive.
AgLA06
AG
I believe they tend to head for the Mescalero quickly and there are some giants in the small pockets of NF between town and the reservation.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Been talking to a guy who lives in Ruio. He mentioned yesterday if I did draw in Unit 36 he is fairly confident could find a very solid bull. Maybe that's where he's thinking of heading.
AgLA06
AG
My understanding is the difficulty is drawing unless you are a resident.

I got within 60 yards of this guy and his herd in September with a 5 year old. He wasn't in one of the areas I described, but within a 20 minute drive.

Player To Be Named Later
AG
It's funny, talk to residents around the area and they all seem to somehow be convinced that "non residents always draw". Probably just makes them feel better when they don't happen to draw.
AgLA06
AG
If they can't understand non-residents only get 6% then they probably don't have the intelligence to argue with about this.

I just chalk it up to meth.
cupofjoe04
AG
Obligatory needs another year. Pass
AgLA06
AG
Biggest bodied bull I've ever seen. Made his rack look small. I guessed 330" - 350" class. One of his satellite bulls was bigger than my biggest bull.
shaynew1
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

I've fired every arrow in my quiver before you even focus your binos on him.
cupofjoe04
AG
AgLA06 said:

Biggest bodied bull I've ever seen. Made his rack look small. I guessed 330" - 350" class. One of his satellite bulls was bigger than my biggest bull.

Yeah, looks like he has mass for days! Probably what makes his tops look -well, I'm not going to say weak- not as good as his bottoms. That bull would be swiss cheese if I had a tag and anything pointy.
cupofjoe04
AG
shaynew1 said:

cupofjoe04 said:

There's the hate I know and love!!!!

I'm just in the background sharpening knives for you
shaynew1
AG
I'm not too proud to let you cut him up.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
shaynew1 said:

cupofjoe04 said:

hbc07
AG
Any one have experience with Wyoming elk units? Looking for something preferably on the SE corner of the state. 0 points. Fine with taking a cow. Looking at 24, 25, or 124 as possibilities, but just really have no clue what I'm looking for.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.