Outdoors
Sponsored by

2021 Big Game Draw Deadlines

59,321 Views | 709 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ttha_aggie_09
mneisch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Let me know what you think once you get it. I'm guessing 1 person?
AgEng06
AG
Yeah, 1 person. I'm not a big guy and don't want the extra weight of a 2P. The 2 vestibules should be enough room for me.

But I'll definitely report back once I try it out.
mpl35
AG
mneisch said:

I was randomly able to snag a returned one from Amazon a month or so back. Hadn't ever been removed from the packaging. I know the most recent batch of 1k sold out in less than a day. It's a mighty impressive shelter though. Lighter than the floorless tipi it replaced and double walled.

I have several nice 1P tents. And a sweet 3P tent. So the 2P by Dan is the one I'd like to check out. But then I like buying gear!
mneisch
AG
I'm not a huge guy either but use a wide pad because I toss and turn during the night. My 25" pad would have been touching both sides of the 1 person. The 2 person is overkill for just me but will be nice to have once my oldest is able to come along. As you mentioned, the vestibules are huge with plenty of room for gear.
CS78
Got my dad applied for unit 61 elk rifle. 22 points. Wish us luck!
harge57
AG
CS78
harge57 said:

1. People are fed up with Colorado
2. There's 35 dozen websites and apps that tell you how to do it all.
meggy09
AG
Colorado was up to 685k from a record of 650k last year. Maybe Steve Rinella's brother is on to something.
AgDad121619
AG
meggy09 said:

Colorado was up to 685k from a record of 650k last year. Maybe Steve Rinella's brother is on to something.
what did he say?
stdeb11
AG
https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/big-game/the-case-against-hunter-recruitment
stdeb11
AG
Now record breaking number of applicant's for AZ, NM, and CO so far this year...doesn't appear that a $200 license in AZ or fronting the full tag cost in NM are deterrents for people applying. These state agencies have to be loving the $$$
AgDad121619
AG
stdeb11 said:

. He makes some great points. - and we all want our private spots but I think they will still be there. - may have to work a little harder to find them.
cupofjoe04
AG
AgDad121619 said:

stdeb11 said:

. He makes some great points. - and we all want our private spots but I think they will still be there. - may have to work a little harder to find them.

Not to be contrarian, but I literally see them disappearing every year. I have watched the pressure and traffic increase exponentially in just the 5 years I have lived here. It all depends on the unit here in CO. If OTC or they are handing out tags like candy- hidden spots are disappearing fast. And they are probably already gone. 200 yards off the road, or 12 miles back- it doesn't seem to matter. I find people everywhere.

Last year on spring turkey opener, I treed a young ton in a very much overlooked and hidden spot. I was with him 4 out of 5 days leading up to season. Never saw so much as a vehicle track. Opening morning, I arrive at 4am, only to find 3 other vehicles there with hunters crowded into the box canyon that is maybe 100 acres. I set up on the back side, figuring they would push the bird. Before long, 4-5 other vehicles show up. When the bird starts gobbling on the limb- you could literally see flashlights climbing the hill right at him from almost all directions. He pitched early, flew several hundred yards, and was running before he hit the ground.

All that, for a turkey.

The problem is real, and there is no easy solution.

Buy land, my friends. Buy land.
Ag 11
AG
harge57 said:

Track&Recover
More people want to hunt big game. It has been popularized by great hunting show personalities like Steve Rinella and Randy Newburg. Information on how to draw and access land is the best it's ever been via OnX Maps and Huntin Fool type services.

I will argue it is neither good or bad. It just is. It's public land. Be thankful for it.
cupofjoe04
AG
Track&Recover said:

I will argue it is neither good or bad. It just is. It's public land. Be thankful for it.
This 1,000,000%.

If it's exclusive, it's unknown and the rights may go away. If it's popular, it's likely to be protected but crowded.
It just is what it is.
AgDad121619
AG
Track&Recover said:

More people want to hunt big game. It has been popularized by great hunting show personalities like Steve Rinella and Randy Newburg. Information on how to draw and access land is the best it's ever been via OnX Maps and Huntin Fool type services.

Steven Rinella is probably responsible for adding more new hunters than any other individual show. I love hunting but only watch a few that I can actually learn from. Rinella and western hunter are among the few shows that actually show failure and represent what real western DIY hunts are like. Got me started on this journey ( that and a son old enough to talk me into finally going after talking about it for years)
stdeb11
AG
https://www.wyomingnewsnow.tv/2021/04/15/wyoming-game-and-fish-are-reducing-the-number-of-antelope-licenses-for-the-2021-hunting-season/
AG_2006
AG
PSA:

New Mexico elk draw results are published on 4/28.

CO elk draw results are published on +/- 5/28.

(Can't wait!)
AgEng06
AG
Historically NM results have always come out a few days to a week before the published date. Last year I believe they were out on 4/21. This year it seems a lot of people are hoping/looking at 4/22 based on the trend.

But yes, we should at least know by or on
4/28.
AgDad121619
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Talk to me about arrow setup for elk. I can see this being similar to the caliber debate and shot placement is king. But what do I need to focus on ? FOC ? Total arrow weight ? Stiffness ?

Right now shooting a black eagle rampage with a 100gr 1.25" slick trick magnum and Nockturnal lighted nock.

29" draw, 70lb bow is maxed down but it pulled like 67-68lbs when I had it checked.

I've wanted to try the g5 montecs (only 100gr) but debating if I should look into a 125gr broad head and do g5 striker. And/or a weighted insert ?

This post lead me down a learning path when my son and I decided to go OTC archery this year

Went with VAP SS arrows with the 50 grain insert (outsert). Arrows are 432 g with 12.7 FOC using a 100 grain head. Now I need a new target because my old worn out block is letting the arrows go too deep. Really pleased with what I have seen so far - will need a new bow mounted quiver as the my current one is too big to lock down the 4 mm arrows
TikkaShooter
NM results are up

All red
Player To Be Named Later
AG
I guess I won the lottery....

DG96
AG
Nice. That's a good tag. Should be a fun hunt.
You already have the muzzleloader?
Player To Be Named Later
AG
No, wasn't going to spend the $$$ until I actually drew. Now I need to start looking.
TX_COWDOC
AG
2B Muley for me and Unit 45 Muley tag for my son.
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
cupofjoe04
AG
Awesome, congrats!

If you can swing it a Remington 700 UML is what you want, especially for a NM hunt.

A scope, loose powder, plus a full bore canonical is a crazy accurate combo when you work up the right load. You can also reach way out there if you need to
TX_COWDOC
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

No, wasn't going to spend the $$$ until I actually drew. Now I need to start looking.
I've got a REM 700 UML you can borrow /abuse if you care to.
Has some good New Mexico mojo...

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2816730/replies/47964940
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Yeah, those look real nice.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
I'll reach out to you, may very well take you up on that.

We have a small piece of land in Timberon, so I've met quite a few people in the area. The guy who did some dirt work for us out there ranches on Federal leases in the area, so hopefully I'll get good intel on spots.
AgEng06
AG
Red means all good, right?!?
AggieJames09
AG
Struck out on NM again. Time to start just saving for a private tag
Log
AG
Unit 37 rifle deer, 11/6-10.
cupofjoe04
AG
AgEng06 said:

Red means all good, right?!?

Go get em!!! Just feign ignorance
AgEng06
AG
Don't tempt me...

Actually it looks like we'll be coming back to your area in September now, unless the 37% tag cuts in the area get us in the draw (we put in for 2nd choice).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.