Outdoors
Sponsored by

NM Muzzleloader Elk Hunt

2,351 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Central Committee
TX_COWDOC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Drew my tag for a long awaited hunt to break in the Remington 700 UML I bought a couple of years ago. After running out of time for load development, I finally settled on Barnes Original .458 300gr and Orange MMP Sabots on top of 4 Pyrodex 50gr pellets for this hunt. Group was sub MOA at 2170fps. I practiced out to 300 yards with this load.

I headed to NM and began the hunt with a long time guide.

After 4 days of hard hunting and passing on some smaller bulls, we located a solid bull across the canyon (over 1000 yards away from our vantage point).

We put the bull to bed at about 10am and I departed the glassing point to cross the canyon and come up on the ridge across the bowl the elk were bedded in. Took about 1.5 hours to cover the ground, top out, and locate the bull.

I initially tried to ease around the top of the ridge to shorten the distance but I jumped a Muley forker and he almost ruined the party. So I decided to take what I had. I returned to my initial area across the bowl (about 275 yards from the bedded bull) and prepared for the shot. I eased out on the rocks on my hands and knees taking my pack and my 700 UML.

I set up the bipod and ranged the bull (still bedded) at 262 yards.

I dialed in the distance on my turret (6.75 minutes).

The bull's head was slowly bobbing as he slumbered. I steadied the shot and squeezed the trigger. Smoke hung in the air for 4-5 seconds and I found the bull in my scope expecting him to be moving after the shot. He didn't budge. Head still bobbing. I was in disbelief! How did I miss? After another second or two, the bull stretched out his neck, then legs and rolled over. He never got up.

My guide was still watching from across the canyon and saw the shot hit the bull. Neither of us could believe what we saw.

I made my way over to the bull and spent a few quiet moments of silence with the old bull. This was my first successful elk hunt (of three hunts - Rifle in NM in '05 and Rifle in CO in '15.)

Chickenhawk
Awesome!

Just don't tell sean...
ttha_aggie_09
AG
That's freaking awesome! Good story and pictures.
AgEng06
AG
Hell yeah! That's awesome.
Texas 1836
AG
Great story. Post some more pics if you have them.

What part of NM were you in?
normaleagle05
AG
Nice!
TX_COWDOC
AG
Unit 2. Far NW New Mexico. The elk hunts are all of unit 2 (vs. deer 2b, 2c, etc). Actually killed the bull in 2C.
BurnetAggie99
Unit 2 is some prime hunting area in NM. Seen some monster elk there when we hunted mulies.

A sleeper Unit is Unit 34 around Cloudcroft. Back before it was so hard to get drawed for Elk, we have taken some big Elk out of 34 off public land.
Log
AG
I thought all first timer MZ elk hunters were required to have a misfire on a 6x6 elk.
stdeb11
AG
Good stuff! Congrats!
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Bad ass!
bkf0005
AG
Nice bull, Congrats!
Lungblood
That's impressive with an ML. Crazy how far black powder rifles have come in last 20 years. Modern glass on a smoke pole is a game changer.
phdag
That is amazing.
Texmid
AG
Great story. Nice bull.
ENG
AG
Very nice! Congrats
Central Committee
AG
Congrats. Awesome range and accuracy on a muzzle loader.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.