Outdoors
Sponsored by

2021 Big Game Draw Deadlines

59,310 Views | 709 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ttha_aggie_09
AgEng06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just saw my $688 elk tag is pending on my CC. Wooooo!
aggie_2010
AG
My CC was hit for elk too!
stdeb11
AG
Looks like points were updated on accounts too...my dad and his buddies all drew cow tags so get to go be pack mule for them again in 1st rifle
stdeb11
AG
Congrats guys!
chocolatelabs
AG
No Colorado Archery elk for me. now to plan B.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
CC hit for pronghorn!
CS78
No tag for us. Dad applied unit 61 first rifle elk with 21 points. 67% chance based on last year. Curious to see what drew this year.
hutch2882
AG
Cha-ching. Headed to CO for mz Elk! Time to get in shape!
AggiePetro07
AG
Drew. Archery bull units 75/751.

We saw 9 different shooters last year but could only get to within 140 yards. Hopefully this year the weather cooperates.
mneisch
AG
I'll be in the same unit(s) for muzzleloader mule deer. Drew it as second choice. My buddy might actually have to back out on account of a potential job change. You got a good email so we can exchange some information?
meggy09
AG
Elk: 2nd rifle cow, unit 49 with 2 points
Deer: 3rd rifle doe, unit 3 as second choice

Hopefully I don't shoot anything with antlers this year.
CS78
I talked to a man that talked to the man that said CO had 35,000 more apps than previous years.
mpl35
AG
Colorado is inconsistent rolling out the emails. I have my points for several species. No notification on deer but I checked and got my draw.
mneisch
AG
AggiePetro07 said:

Drew. Archery bull units 75/751.

We saw 9 different shooters last year but could only get to within 140 yards. Hopefully this year the weather cooperates.
Or feel free to shoot me an email, as mentioned I'll be in the same unit for muzzleloader mulies. mneisch (at) gmail.com
TikkaShooter
No luck in Wyoming.

Add it to this years rejection list:

NM
UT
CO
WY

Colorado 2nd draw or bust!
cupofjoe04
AG
Just found out we got 3 cow tags again this year!!! This will be for that same "special" place we were fortunate enough to be able to hunt last year in CO. Still crossing our fingers for a bull tag, should find out the allotment on those next month. There was a 350" my dad missed last year that is calling our names!!!!!

In any case, should be a great meat hunt. Now to decide what weapon to use this year. Archery is pretty dang tough out there, with as open as it is. I don't really want to go just sit a water hole for 3 days to shoot a cow, I prefer to spot and stalk. So I'm considering muzzleloader or stretching the legs on my 6.5 CM (you know, if I want to watch bullets bounce off of the animals).
AgDad121619
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

Just found out we got 3 cow tags again this year!!! This will be for that same "special" place we were fortunate enough to be able to hunt last year in CO. Still crossing our fingers for a bull tag, should find out the allotment on those next month. There was a 350" my dad missed last year that is calling our names!!!!!

In any case, should be a great meat hunt. Now to decide what weapon to use this year. Archery is pretty dang tough out there, with as open as it is. I don't really want to go just sit a water hole for 3 days to shoot a cow, I prefer to spot and stalk. So I'm considering muzzleloader or stretching the legs on my 6.5 CM (you know, if I want to watch bullets bounce off of the animals).
which brand of 6.5 CM bullets do you bounce off the elk?
cupofjoe04
AG
Hornady 143 gr ELD-X is all I've shot at furry targets so far. I have been exceptionally happy with them. They shoot almost hole for hole as the ELD-M, and the 140 gr Blacks (Academy, more economical to target practice with). Everything I've shot with them has either been DRT, or stumbled no more than 20 yards.

Despite the shade people like to throw at 6.5 CM and/or the ELD-X's, my freezer has been pretty dang full the last 3 years.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

Hornady 143 gr ELD-X is all I've shot at furry targets so far. I have been exceptionally happy with them. They shoot almost hole for hole as the ELD-M, and the 140 gr Blacks (Academy, more economical to target practice with). Everything I've shot with them has either been DRT, or stumbled no more than 20 yards.

Despite the shade people like to throw at 6.5 CM and/or the ELD-X's, my freezer has been pretty dang full the last 3 years.
100% although I haven't shot anything bigger than a 300lb Aoudad with it. The 143gr ELD-X is very effective.
cupofjoe04
AG
Absolutely. It's been a fantastic to round for me too.

With the ELD-X's, I've shot coons, coyote, many many pigs, javelina, pronghorn, as well as a few deer and elk. I've witnessed the ELD-M's even take down 2 big bodied old bull elk. I didn't notice any dramatic difference in performance from the X to the M. The 2 bulls did go further (about 75 yards), but they were much bigger bodied than mine, and shot placement wasn't as precise on both. They still were both 1 shot kills, and died within view of the shooter.
AgDad121619
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

. That's what I (plan) to shoot but I used up all my bullets on the practice range and then the shortage hit. Is the 140 black you refer to Hornaday for range practice?

Your results with the ELD-X are interesting as I went through alot of research online last year trying to decide between 150 grain NP or 147g ELD-X for .270 win on my first elk hunt. I saw the same comments about the ELD-X being undependable for shots <100 yards so I went with tried and true NP. I'm guessing a lot of the shade toward both products are old school folks that don't like change.

As funny aside, Will Brantley with F&S had a good article about how he finally came around on the CM. Him and his buddy would sit around the campfire and make fun of the CM and why it wasn't anything different or better than the old school .270 / 30.06. Until his buddy got one when he became a sponsored hunter. They both shoot their 6.5 CM unapologetically now. I found myself in the same campfire discussion with a hunting friend when I shared that I had a new CM. He threw out all the same arguments almost word for word from the WB article against the CM
stdeb11
AG
Drew WY antelope buck tag! Cashed in some points I've been building for a while there....no luck on does. WY doe antelope apps have been going nuts the last couple years and they've been cutting tags after the last few years snow storms.
cupofjoe04
AG
I heard all that same noise about the ELD-X too. I decided to try it out. After watching it DRT many hogs, from ranges of 30 yards out past 350, I was convinced. Now I just chamber them and don't fret about it none.

The Hornady Blacks are/were a line of range Ammo specifically sold at Academy. I think they are BTHP's, so I just use them at the range. They shoot almost identical to the ELD's at anything under 300 yards, and are cheaper. I've shot a whitetail a with the ELD-M, and he didn't seem to notice a difference either. But those X's just seem to dump so much energy center mass, the trauma in there is impressive.
cupofjoe04
AG
Awesome congrats!!!
arrow
AG
143 eld-x and 178 eld-x. Great results.
arrow
AG
In for Colorado 2nd draw bear. Why not.
cupofjoe04
AG
arrow said:

In for Colorado 2nd draw bear. Why not.

There are no bears to be found in CO while hunting. They are all at my dang house.

My wife is baking chocolate cakes for an order tonight, and surprise surprise, 2 more bears come snooping around.

I guess I need to be selling archery bear hunts this fall. You can hang a bow stand in the pines in my front yard, or set a pop up in the back. Or, for a slight up charge, you can hunt from the upstairs bonus room window. We will bake a chocolate cake and serve it to you while you hunt with the window open. (If you aren't familiar, we have a history of bear encounters on the same night my wife makes her chocolate cakes for clients).
AgEng06
AG
Hey, I actually have a tag for your unit and can add a bear tag easily...
lazuras_dc
AG
Does anyone have recs for Archery rainy weather gear? I have a poncho right now I've taken on elk hunts but never used...I'm afraid for archery it may be a little loud but open to trying it.
cupofjoe04
AG
AgEng06 said:

Hey, I actually have a tag for your unit and can add a bear tag easily...

&ct=g
cupofjoe04
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Does anyone have recs for Archery rainy weather gear? I have a poncho right now I've taken on elk hunts but never used...I'm afraid for archery it may be a little loud but open to trying it.

For me it depends on how much moisture I'm expecting. Most of the time, with just pop up showers, I don't even mess with anything. They usually don't get me too wet, and you dry out so fast.

But I usually have one of those jackets that rolls up to the size of a water bottle. Similar to the Cabelas Space Rain gear they have now, but mine is older. It's not quiet, but I've never shot an animal in the actual rain. I just slip it off as soon as the downpour is over.

If it's colder, or I'm looking at snow or heavier rain, I'll pack my Cabelas DryPlus jacket. It's a little heavier than the roll up paper thin one, but it isn't insulated. It is light enough I don't hesitate to put it in my pack. But bulky enough it doesn't make it into my backcountry bag. I don't know the model, but it's a soft polyester outer shell, with a mesh lining. It is quiet, dry, abs breathes well.
K_P
AG
Speaking of bouncing rounds off animals in the 6.5ish mm range.

I am headed to CO mule deer this fall. I was planning to use the hunt as an excuse to pickup a .300 win mag, but probably not in the budget as of now. I have a .270 that's been a great rifle for the last decade. Remington green box core locks have been lights out against TX white tail and hogs.

Questions-
do I need a higher BC / heavier bullet than the 130gr core locks I've always used? For "cheap" ammo they group really well at 100, never grouped them at 200, but deer haven't noticed.
I have a duplex scope, is some kind of BDC scope a need or a want? What actual ranges should I really plan on? 300 yards is easy to type but in my experience that is a long damn way away, but my experience is mostly western hill country and south Texas, and my furthest shot has been ~240yds

Edit to add hunt area is 25/26, going with a friend who knows more than me but we're both pretty clueless
Sully Dog
hbc07 said:

Sully Dog said:

hbc07 said:

Got my WYO-25 cow tag. Went in with 0 points so I'm happy to pull anything
Good work. That's a good unit. Bring an atv if you have one.
Noted. May be able to bring FIL's, but no guarantee. It'll be my uncle and I out there, and we're currently trying to game plan everything since it'll be the first hunt out West for both of us. Currently trying to make a packing list and figuring out what i have/what i need to upgrade/what i need to buy.
I was going to let you know I was down on the edge of 25 last week and saw a group of cows moving along Limestone Mtn Road and Beaver Creek. I hope you are getting psyched for your hunt.
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
Sully Dog
K_P said:

Questions-
do I need a higher BC / heavier bullet than the 130gr core locks I've always used? For "cheap" ammo they group really well at 100, never grouped them at 200, but deer haven't noticed.
I have a duplex scope, is some kind of BDC scope a need or a want? What actual ranges should I really plan on? 300 yards is easy to type but in my experience that is a long damn way away, but my experience is mostly western hill country and south Texas, and my furthest shot has been ~240yds

Edit to add hunt area is 25/26, going with a friend who knows more than me but we're both pretty clueless
130gr bullet is plenty fine for mule deer. I shoot .300 wsm with a 165gr and it's dead flat out to 200 yards, bucks the wind, and I feel like it's overkill a most of the time.

I don't know the unit but where I hunt the sight lines are wide open and I don't think I have ever shot a mule deer at more than 275 - 300 yards
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
harge57
AG
lazuras_dc said:

I usually just take a marmot precip jacket in. I will take rain pants or gators in depending on forecast.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.