Outdoors
Sponsored by

2021 Big Game Draw Deadlines

59,322 Views | 709 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ttha_aggie_09
JeremiahJohnson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Although you can't really train for altitude, heat stress is the next best thing. I do most my workouts in the afternoon to get the effect. I am running a marathon a couple weeks before my next hunt, so that is my main training, but also mixing in a lot of core, deadlifts, lunges and squats 3 days a weeks.
cupofjoe04
AG
Well, I'm super bummed.

My elk hunting trip just fell through. I was supposed to be slaying elk starting in exactly 7 days (8/28), but due to unforeseen issues, my Dad and Brother-In-Law can't come. They decided it's best to cancel the whole trip, and the manager is going to give depredation tags to someone else.

The good news, we aren't out any money. The bad news- I only put in for points this year, as I was really only able to take 1 trip for myself and put all my eggs in this basket. Looks like my freezer is gonna be pretty thin this winter. Most of all, I'm really disappointed to lose the time with my family.

One of you arrow slingers is going to have to get the meat pole rolling September.
Ag210
AG
No chance of going OTC?
AgLA06
AG
Dude. Start scouting and get an OTC bull or left over cow or deer tag.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Man, sorry to hear that. Hope you can get something else on the books
cupofjoe04
AG
I booked up extra work from late Oct to late Nov- to make room for this trip and seeing family over Thanksgiving. I have a possibility of getting a private land cow, or I'm sure I could find a cow on a random weekday during OTC here. I can go shoot a cow by myself if I just really need to scratch that itch.

It's really the lost time with my Dad and Brother-In-Law that's the bummer. When you live 800 miles away, weekends spent in the woods together are all too fleeting and precious.
Track&Recover
Anyone else draw archery elk unit 50 Colorado? I'm going mid September DIY w my dad. I'll be happy to share notes assuming we get on some bulls.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Anyone have any advice on a good rifle sling? I'll probably have rifle in pack a lot but not really sure.

Almost all of my rifle slings are meant for carrying the gun from the ranger/truck to the blind or just moderate hiking. I've had one rifle hunt in Alaska and it was only one day but the sling left a lot to be desired.
harge57
AG

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AU6KE14/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I've been happy with this one.
Sticky and stretchy so it stays put.
stdeb11
AG
One option if carrying a pack is go check out the kifaru gunbeareor slik sling....I ordered a slik sling this year and have messed with it some. Those styles seem to be a lot comfier when carrying with a pack on
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Kifaru and Stone Glacier both have great options. I bought the Stone Glacier since I own a Stone Glacier pack. I tried to buy the Kifaru last year but they were sold out.
stdeb11
AG
So I went out this weekend to re-hang a camera and build a few brush blinds in a spot that I had some bulls patterned at. I decided it'd be a great training hike if I tossed an extra 50lbs in the pack...welp, after 12 miles and 1600ft elevation my butt is officially kicked. Really had to fight the temptation to not dump some sand out on the hike back out
lazuras_dc
AG
Leave Thursday. It's gunna be a rainy one in New Mexico!

Question: how long can you guys hold your bow drawn on target before your aim starts to become compromised ?
I tried to do 2minutes the other day and made it to about 1:45. Not great.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I held it twice for about 2.5 minutes on the only bull I have drawn on. I never practiced holds longer than about 1 minute prior to that. I think it's a good idea to practice "long" holds but I think building muscle strength through reps is good enough for most situations.

I will add that I always practice holding and then not releasing the arrow to simulate draw backs and no shot presenting itself.

Jealous! Good luck!
stdeb11
AG
Screwed on broadheads last night!!!
AgEng06
AG
I have so much to get ready between now and Wednesday evening when I head out!
harge57
AG
AgEng06 said:

I have so much to get ready between now and Wednesday evening when I head out!
I feel you... Heading out Friday.
mneisch
AG
My CO muzzleloader season is in limbo. My hunting partner has had a COVID outbreak in his family with everyone sick (though no major syptoms yet). My dad is in ICU with Vibrio (flesh eating bacteria), so I'm already hesitant about that because my mom will need continued help getting back and forth from the hospital. Add in the COVID concern, and the fact that I can't possibly risk giving it to my dad, and I don't know what to do.
cupofjoe04
AG
mneisch said:

My CO muzzleloader season is in limbo. My hunting partner has had a COVID outbreak in his family with everyone sick (though no major syptoms yet). My dad is in ICU with Vibrio (flesh eating bacteria), so I'm already hesitant about that because my mom will need continued help getting back and forth from the hospital. Add in the COVID concern, and the fact that I can't possibly risk giving it to my dad, and I don't know what to do.
Sucks... sorry to hear. I was in a similar boat, and had to cancel our cow elk trip. In the long haul, you will never regret spending time with and being there for family- wether that is at home or on the mountain.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
The elk in CO will continue to be there... take care of your family.

Really sucks to hear but I hope everyone makes a full recovery!
mneisch
AG
I'm leaning towards staying home this year, but feel bad about kinda screwing over my hunting partner. I'll have a better idea after the consultation with the plastic surgeon for skin grafting. My head just hasn't been in the game the last few weeks while focusing on family.
shaynew1
AG
Sorry to hear about everything going on with y'all's families. Take care of your business.

I'm headed up tonight and have a little work first thing tmw, then some politicking in town, and I should be headed up the hill late afternoon tmw.

stdeb11
AG
Sorry to hear all that. Hope it all works out for you and the family.
CS78
When does CO publish PP/ draw result numbers? We didn't get drawn for this year with a 66% chance. Curious where we fell in the pack and what next year looks like.
stdeb11
AG
They're already out... usually comes out very quickly after draw results are out.

https://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/Statistics.aspx
lazuras_dc
AG
Shacked up tonight in a little cabin in Pecos, NM. Last night of cell service for a week. Hopefully when I'm back I can start the meat pole thread!!
arrow
AG
Back to the world of connectivity.
Cheers.
BTHO Kent St.
lazuras_dc
AG
Well done!
Ag210
AG
Yessir!
AgLA06
AG
Got dam!!!

You are the man. Can't wait to see the full story.
cupofjoe04
AG
Heck yeah!!!! Way to go! Can't wait for the story.
cupofjoe04
AG
Yess!!! Make it so!!!!
cupofjoe04
AG
You guys better post so many pics and stories that it makes me go out and buy an OTC tag! I think I can swing some day hunting during 3rd season- that looks like my best shot.

Let me live vicariously though y'all in the mean time!
shaynew1
AG
Called in 2 lions opening morning. 8 yards. Bumped some bulls randomly midday yesterday. Have heard a few bugles but they are the worthless non responsive random kind in this stupid timber.
AgEng06
AG
shaynew1 said:

Called in 2 lions opening morning. 8 yards. Bumped some bulls randomly midday yesterday. Have heard a few bugles but they are the worthless non responsive random kind in this stupid timber.

Don't get me started!

Ran into town for a shower and meal, then back at it tomorrow.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.