Outdoors
Sponsored by

2021 Big Game Draw Deadlines

59,264 Views | 709 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ttha_aggie_09
agingcowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Man, I was just reading up on Utah draws. Given their non-resident odds and the way they give out tags along with their license fee every year, I'm not sure it makes sense to ever put in for the draw in that state ever again. I have 8 points already but probably wouldn't draw my desired unit for another 15 years.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
shaynew1
AG
Dang that is frustrating. Any secondary choices to keep you from having to eat those points?

Coming off shoulder surgery at the end of last year I'm thinking of moving down to 60 lbs.

I think I won't have to give up to much in lethal range, but maybe enjoy a little more longevity and comfort shooting.
agingcowboy
AG
I'm down to 63 pounds after selling my 80 pounder. It's much nicer on my shoulders.

My only viable option would be to keep accumulating points then move to Utah for a year to become a resident, then draw the tag I want and move away...lol.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgDad121619
AG
AgLA06 said:

If you download the offline maps it is no different than using a GPS, except you don't have to carry 2 devices and batteries.

Put your smart phone in airplane mode. The battery will last a long time.
. I had both with me last year and used the OnX way more than the GPS - but I'm glad I had the inreach function if I needed it.
AgDad121619
AG
Can you buy a preference point in Colorado for a different season ? Ie if I wanted to start building points for a muzzleloader season, could I apply for 1st rifle n a unit tha required zero points and still pay for a preference point for muzzleloader or archery?
lazuras_dc
AG
AgDad121619 said:

Can you buy a preference point in Colorado for a different season ? Ie if I wanted to start building points for a muzzleloader season, could I apply for 1st rifle n a unit tha required zero points and still pay for a preference point for muzzleloader or archery?

No. A pref point is a pref point.
You'd have to apply for a pref point on your first choice and then your second choice for what season you want to hunt there are some units where you can be successful doing that.
AgDad121619
AG
lazuras_dc said:

AgDad121619 said:

No. A pref point is a pref point.
You'd have to apply for a pref point on your first choice and then your second choice for what season you want to hunt there are some units where you can be successful doing that.
Thanks - kinda what I thought but hoping it was different. I'm assuming I could apply for a point and buy on OTC tag for archery or 2nd rifle and still get the point?
mneisch
AG
Correct, OTC doesn't count against the draw.
aggie0959
Apply for a second choice. It allows you to keep a point for the first choice and draw you second. But there is a chance you don't draw at all. But you can join the orange army and go otc
TH36
10-4, thanks for the info!

BullSprig07
AG
TexasAg2017 said:

Unit 25? That is on my potential list. How was the area? Fairly easy access?
Look elsewhere, the big plot of BLM in the center of the unit does not have any public access roads leading to it. I'm assuming you are going into the draw with 0 points? All 0 point units are going to be tricky when it comes to access, but there are better ones out there than 25.
Water Turkey07
AgEng06
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

Has anyone done an AZ coues deer hunt? Just looking for some general pointers or experience.

The grey ghosts have been on my bucket list for a long time, and I made friends with a former AZ resident who is willing to schlep it out with me and show me some spots. But I'm clueless as to strategy. I'm considering trying for a leftover rifle, and if not then an OTC archery tag.
I must have missed this one, but shoot me an email and I can share what I know. I did finally loose an arrow at a Coues last month, but a tree limb got me.
stdeb11
AG
Submitted AZ...actually have like 25% chance to draw. Which is kinda fun/scary...now I need to think up how to tell the wife how many hunts I may have planned for 2021.
AgLA06
AG
Just fake your death.

Less planning / work.
shaynew1
AG
I don't think I've even said out loud to myself how many I have planned...let me know how your talk goes
AgDad121619
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Talk to me about arrow setup for elk. I can see this being similar to the caliber debate and shot placement is king. But what do I need to focus on ? FOC ? Total arrow weight ? Stiffness ?

Right now shooting a black eagle rampage with a 100gr 1.25" slick trick magnum and Nockturnal lighted nock.

29" draw, 70lb bow is maxed down but it pulled like 67-68lbs when I had it checked.

I've wanted to try the g5 montecs (only 100gr) but debating if I should look into a 125gr broad head and do g5 striker. And/or a weighted insert ?
. I shoot Easton Axis arrows for whitetail - should I consider upgrading to Easton FMJ for elk?
TH36
I gotta take a break from all the research. Been hard at it after paying for GoHunt and OnX. I had no idea there would be so many options with 0 points for mule deer. I've said were gunna hunt the western border, down to the south western border, up north of Fort Collins, now looking more Midwest. Can't make my mind up where I want to put in for.
lazuras_dc
AG
AgDad121619 said:

lazuras_dc said:

Talk to me about arrow setup for elk. I can see this being similar to the caliber debate and shot placement is king. But what do I need to focus on ? FOC ? Total arrow weight ? Stiffness ?

Right now shooting a black eagle rampage with a 100gr 1.25" slick trick magnum and Nockturnal lighted nock.

29" draw, 70lb bow is maxed down but it pulled like 67-68lbs when I had it checked.

I've wanted to try the g5 montecs (only 100gr) but debating if I should look into a 125gr broad head and do g5 striker. And/or a weighted insert ?
. I shoot Easton Axis arrows for whitetail - should I consider upgrading to Easton FMJ for elk?
I'm by no means expert but if you have good total weight on the arrow and appropriate spine stiffness and FOC there's no reason to upgrade the shaft.

From all accounts I've seen you want over 400 grains total weight and about 12-15% FOC
aggie0959
Anyone else having problems with Arizona's site. It is showing no application and no points. I have been on hold with them for 50minutes
shaynew1
AG
Dang I just got a phone call about a spring trip to Idaho.

I got to go big on valentines
chocolatelabs
AG
Can you buy a preference point in Arizona. doesn't look like it but couldn't really tell much.
aggie0959
You could have for elk but it's to late. You still can for deer and sheep but that deadline in in june
meggy09
AG
AZ is one that I just try for units in instead of doing only a point. Even in the premier units you have a chance with 0 points. It's <.01% or something, but still a chance. If lightning strikes and I get a trophy unit, damn sure I'll make the trip happen.
harge57
AG
meggy09 said:

AZ is one that I just try for units in instead of doing only a point. Even in the premier units you have a chance with 0 points. It's <.01% or something, but still a chance. If lightning strikes and I get a trophy unit, damn sure I'll make the trip happen.

I heard AZ elk apps were up by 18k this year.
aggie0959
Spending that stimi check
lazuras_dc
AG
I'm offifically in (that's what she said) Put in for NM archery , and my pref points in Colorado
TH36
I'm "in" for the first time too. Colorado mule deer, 3rd rifle. Put in for preference point as first choice. 3rd choice is 2nd rifle in case we don't get 3rd.

It will be fun regardless just to get my feet wet on the out of state big game stuff and get a out of state hunt in with Dad and 2 uncles.
Track&Recover
I've got my draws submitted for NM, CO, and UT. Point building in WY and Montana.
rather be fishing
AG
Just purchased my MT resident license with entry for moose and cow elk. Just applied for my local hunting zone since baby #2 is coming in May. 2022 may have to be something more exciting, including a Smith River float.
aggie_2010
AG
Just something to think about: Cold weather might make your phone inoperable. My iPhoneX last year was almost worthless in WY many times, even with full charge and a spare battery pack. The phone would simply shut off from the cold. It would not have been fun or safe if I needed it for navigation once the sun set.

TLDR: OnX on your phone is awesome, but carry a gps as a backup to get you back to camp in the dark. Phone batteries do not like freezing weather.
Aggie Hunter
AG
I highly recommend the garmin inreach. Small/light and doesn't take up much space. I keep mine hooked on my belt loop
harge57
AG
aggie_2010 said:

Just something to think about: Cold weather might make your phone inoperable. My iPhoneX last year was almost worthless in WY many times, even with full charge and a spare battery pack. The phone would simply shut off from the cold. It would not have been fun or safe if I needed it for navigation once the sun set.

TLDR: OnX on your phone is awesome, but carry a gps as a backup to get you back to camp in the dark. Phone batteries do not like freezing weather.
I have never had this issue, and was hunting in -6. The cold will zap the battery, but keep it in your pocket/sleeping bag and it will be fine.

Also for your other electronics (i.e. headlamps) make sure you are using lithium batteries as they hold up to the cold 10x better than regular batteries.
AgLA06
AG
aggie_2010 said:

It was somewhere between -10 and -20 this year for us at 10k feet. No issues. One of us takes a small batter pack and I take a solar charger. A lightweight map cut to the grid is a lot less weight and just as helpful if my phone were to be damaged.
aggie0959
Also get the full sized one. The mini's size seems great but it does you no good if your phone dies and you can't communicate. The weight difference will not be noticed till your phone is dead and it's 10 degrees
aggie_2010
AG
I use my phone a lot navigating through the dark first thing in the morning and after sun down returning to camp. Those are the times where its inconvenient to bury it deep in a pocket under your layers to keep the phone warm. In my experience, having a backup GPS to use when the phone failed, was worth the weight in gold. Otherwise an hour hike in the dark could've been 2+ hours easy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.