Outdoors
Sponsored by

2021 Big Game Draw Deadlines

59,307 Views | 709 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ttha_aggie_09
stdeb11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got hit for CO deer. Now just waiting to see if it's 1st or 2nd choice...

And can't speak to the catalyst, but the uncompaghre is always in my pack.
aggie_2010
AG
To get an idea of point creep this year, can those of you that draw CO tags (1st choice) post the following:
  • Number of points you burned this year to secure your tag
  • Minimum points the same hunt code required last year to guarantee drawing
  • Species
  • Weapon
  • Resident or Non-resident pool

Obviously, don't post the unit or hunt code you drew/applied for.

Good luck to all.

AgEng06
AG
My CO deer point just showed up in my online account.
stdeb11
AG
My points zero'd out so looks like I drew my first choice. Still no email or shown as drawn tho.

Resident, 3rd rifle, cashed in 3 points, historically took 3 points for 100% odds but usually >50% odds for 2pts.
AgEng06
AG
Awesome, congrats!
Maverick06
AG
So I logged into my account and I have a preference point showing. Assuming I didn't draw because we only put one choice in a historically 0 point unit. We would rather hunt every year guaranteed so we apply for our unit first choice and never build points. Will be the first time is 7 years we aren't hunting. Maybe it will change later.
TH36
I now show a preference point in my account (was my first choice on application). I assume we didn't draw the 2nd choice tag then. Damn. I should've put it as first choice and not gone off last years results.
mneisch
AG
We do the same here. I'd rather hunt every year in the same (historically) 0 point unit than wait 10+ years for a primo unit. My buddy ended up shooting a 180"+ deer last year so good ones are out there. Switched from 2nd rifle to muzzleloader this year which upped our odds of drawing even more. I'll be interested to see what happened in this unit in the rifle seasons.
AgEng06
AG
TH36 said:

I now show a preference point in my account (was my first choice on application). I assume we didn't draw the 2nd choice tag then. Damn. I should've put it as first choice and not gone off last years results.
If you put in for a point as 1st choice and a tag as 2nd choice, then the existence of a point does not negate a successful 2nd choice draw.
Ag210
AG
Drew Non-Res 3rd Rifle, burned 3 points in a historic 1 point unit.
TH36
Good to know! Thanks.

First time doing all this. My uncle who lives there never has to use points. He always hunts elk and the units he hunts he's never gotta put in with points. Usually muzzle loader. But even the late season rifle tags he's able to get list B or whatever it's called

I'm the one who put this hunt together. Been stressing ever since I put our first choice down as a point but according to gohunt and the Colorado magazine this unit has been 2nd choice for the tag we want.
TikkaShooter
Quote:

To get an idea of point creep this year, can those of you that draw CO tags (1st choice) post the following:
  • Species
  • Weapon

Applied with 11 points
Unit/season took 6 last year. Yes...6
Species: MD
Weapon: Rifle
Non-Res

I had almost double the number of points needed to draw and struck out.

How fun is that.

mneisch
AG
mneisch said:

We do the same here. I'd rather hunt every year in the same (historically) 0 point unit than wait 10+ years for a primo unit. My buddy ended up shooting a 180"+ deer last year so good ones are out there. Switched from 2nd rifle to muzzleloader this year which upped our odds of drawing even more. I'll be interested to see what happened in this unit in the rifle seasons.

Whelp, turns out we didn't draw our first choice in the normal unit. Got a PP and second draw option. A bit nervous now going into an area I'm not familiar with.
Maverick06
AG
In our ****ty 0 point unit my buddy has a 207" and I have 175" and we've not been able to get shots on just as big or bigger. Big deer are definitely there. Just have to catch the right weather and avoid all the damn elk hunters.
Maverick06
AG
Update. Just got the email. Unsuccessful.
AgEng06
AG
TikkaShooter said:

Quote:

• Species
  • Weapon

Applied with 11 points
Non-Res

How fun is that.

I know who you are on Rokslide now.
aggie_2010
AG
Its going to be a crazy year with creep across a lot of units. I think next year will be a bit more predictable, but there will still be some roll-over affects from this season.
aggie_2010
AG
My deer preference point just became visible today, but the date awarded is May 8th. Does that mean CPW had draw results on May 8th? Similarly, my black bear preference point awarded date shows May 6th.
TH36
Well mine now says "Not Awarded" on the application instead of Entered. Guess we struck out.
AgEng06
AG
I just got a $100 charge on my credit card, which I'm assuming is my moose pref point. Dangit.
stdeb11
AG
Did you apply for pref point for 1st choice?

If so I'm guessing they just ran all the preference points earlier possibly. No clue how CPW does it and why they drag it out so long
AgEng06
AG
stdeb11 said:

Did you apply for pref point for 1st choice?

If so I'm guessing they just ran all the preference points earlier possibly. No clue how CPW does it and why they drag it out so long
Yeah, my deer point did the same thing. Showed up today, says May 8, 2021. I assume it was done shortly after application submittal.
TH36
I did and didn't have anything earlier in the day. Now I do and it says May 8th as well.
aggie_2010
AG
Yes, I was pref point only for deer and black bear, so that would make sense that those are awarded very early after the app deadline.
arrow
AG
I drew my first choice Colorado deer tag with 6 points. The tag took 7 last year, so I didn't expect to draw.
aggie_2010
AG
Congrats!

Archery?
arrow
AG
Archery.
HouAg12
AG
Does anyone know what the odds typically are on secondary draw results? Can't find anything online
Track&Recover
Drew w my dad - mule deer rifle season 3 - unit 50 , we both had 3 points and was our first choice. Hopefully I can post some sweet pics after our mid November hunt.
BradMtn346
AgEng06 said:

TH36 said:

If you put in for a point as 1st choice and a tag as 2nd choice, then the existence of a point does not negate a successful 2nd choice draw.

What he said.
BradMtn346
TikkaShooter said:

Quote:

• Species
  • Weapon

Applied with 11 points
Non-Res

How fun is that.

Alright, on this one you have to give up the unit and season. Specifically the hunt code you applied for.
BradMtn346
AgEng06 said:

I just got a $100 charge on my credit card, which I'm assuming is my moose pref point. Dangit.

I have not done the research in a while, but nonresident cow moose used to be a second choice option in a couple of units. Second choice doesn't burn points. Since your charge was $100, guessing nonresident.
BradMtn346
arrow said:

Archery.

Where?
arrow
AG
AgEng06
AG
BradMtn346 said:

AgEng06 said:

I have not done the research in a while, but nonresident cow moose used to be a second choice option in a couple of units. Second choice doesn't burn points. Since your charge was $100, guessing nonresident.

Yes sir, non-res. Draw was unsuccessful.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.