Outdoors
Sponsored by

2021 Big Game Draw Deadlines

59,286 Views | 709 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ttha_aggie_09
lazuras_dc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Man...talk about procrastinators
mpl35
AG
CS78 said:

MFer! Just went to log in to do Colorado app and they changed the deadline to 8:00pm this year!

It was 8pm last year as well
mpl35
AG
agingcowboy said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

CS78 said:

MFer! Just went to log in to do Colorado app and they changed the deadline to 8:00pm this year!
That makes two of us... there goes my pronghorn hunt

Yeah, well I got in about 10 mins before and they made me buy my "qualifying license" then the damn thing crashed and I couldn't get back in until after it closed. So I paid $95 and didn't even get to put in for my points!!

If you had the qualifying license in your cart you could have checked out for your points them.
CrossTimbersW
AG
mpl35 said:

agingcowboy said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

CS78 said:

That makes two of us... there goes my pronghorn hunt

Yeah, well I got in about 10 mins before and they made me buy my "qualifying license" then the damn thing crashed and I couldn't get back in until after it closed. So I paid $95 and didn't even get to put in for my points!!

If you had the qualifying license in your cart you could have checked out for your points them.

In theory this is correct, however I did all of mine earlier today and even with the small game license and habitat stamp in my cart it would not let me apply for PP. I had to check out with the SG license then log back in to purchase my PP. Not everyone had that issue but I damn sure did. I've been applying and hunting in Colorado since 2012 so I'm not as seasoned as some of you folks but their system has deteriorated for the non-resident hunter sharply over the last 10 years IMO.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Man...talk about procrastinators
BradMtn346
ttha_aggie_09 said:

We don't lose our points, right? I'm going to drink if we do... kidding but I'll be sad

No you won't loose your points.
BradMtn346
I've said this before. Never wait until the last 5 days to put in for Colorado. The web site is ok, but far from stellar.
mpl35
AG
I hate the system. I usually put in earlier than I did this year. You can make changes if you need to.
44mAG
AG
I put in for points in CO again for my father and I. Planning on doing a guided trip in 2 years when we will have 5 points. I need to start researching outfitters who work in units where you can for sure draw with 3-5 points, but not with zero. Want to feel like the $500 putting in for points wasn't wasted.

If anyone has any recommendations that fit that criteria, feel free to send me a PM.
cupofjoe04
AG
I could be wrong, and there might be some perfect units for you. But to me, it sounds like with 5 points you will wind up in No Man's Land. By that I mean: you have revenue generating units (0-1 points to draw),
you have relatively easy to draw units (1-3 points) that are managed for numbers, then you have trophy units of varying degrees (7-20 points).

IMHO- with 5 points, you probably don't gain very much over the units that only take a point or two, or you are burning more points than you have to in order to draw. Where as if yuh saved up a little more, you could jump up into a different tier, and hunt a much less pressured unit. I could be totally wrong- and there might be low pressure units in the 4-6 point range, but I don't know about them.

You might consider hunting a few times over the next years in units where you can score OTC or in the secondary draw, and save up for a trophy unit. Or, if you aren't super concerned with trophy, consider units that are on the lower end of your scale (3 points), and just know they won't be as exclusive as one might imagine.

Just my .02, and it might not even be with that much.
agingcowboy
AG
I just got an email that says Colorado big game draw deadlines have been extended. Haven't read details but probably worth a look!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
stdeb11
AG
Just saw that too. Extended to Friday, April 9th at 8pm...guess CPW doesn't want to lose out on taking anyone's money
ttha_aggie_09
AG
agingcowboy said:

I just got an email that says Colorado big game draw deadlines have been extended. Haven't read details but probably worth a look!
Yesssssss! Now if only the website wasn't so buggy... not letting me login with my existing CID and reset password
AgEng06
AG
Dang, I was kind of hoping with the issues less people would be able to get in the draw.
Log
AG
Put in for elk, deer, pronghorn, and aoudad in NM, and just got PP's in CO. I've got 4 for sheep/goat/moose, and 9 for everything else. Hopefully be burning the 9's in the next couple years on some decent quality units.

Building points in a bunch of other states out west as well
AgDad121619
AG
Log said:

Put in for elk, deer, pronghorn, and aoudad in NM, and just got PP's in CO. I've got 4 for sheep/goat/moose, and 9 for everything else. Hopefully be burning the 9's in the next couple years on some decent quality units.

Building points in a bunch of other states out west as well

Going archery OTC so I bought PP for elk deer and antelope
ttha_aggie_09
AG

2021 Pronghorn - Here I come!!! Also get my elk and bighorn points.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I was on the fence about buying my points this year,
procrastinated and missed it, then immediately regretted it. This clearly a sign from God.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Yeah sorry you're not drawing moose
meggy09
AG
Well all y'all procrastinators just got bailed out!
AgEng06
AG
Any of you guys have a recommendation on a lightweight tent?

I'd prefer in the 2lb range, 1P or 2P, trekking-pole supported is fine. I've been looking at the NEMO Spike Tent below, but before I buy it I wanted to ask here.

https://www.firstlite.com/collections/tents-and-footprints/products/nemo-spike-tent

Also, anyone have a tent fitting the bill they want to sell, please let me know.
AgDad121619
AG
I got a Cabelas XPG tent that has been great. I got 3 man (which means it fits 2). The 2 man tent is ~2lbs. Not sure if they are still offering after the BPS merger.

100% mesh so it is also good in summer with rain fly off
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I am a big fan of floorless. I use golite shangri la 5 (10'x10'...it's big enough to not be uncomfortable with 3 dudes). I use a closed cell foam pad and like to be able to cook inside if the weather sucks, nice to be able to just climb in with your boots on, zip up them get situated, likewise getting dressed in the morning without breakdancing. I leave the pole at home and find a stick at camp or on the hike in
AG_2006
AG
+1 vote for the SEEK, Cimarron model. Floorless. Tipi.
AgEng06
AG
Mannn, I just don't think I can do floorless yet. I haven't done enough sleeping on the ground to be comfortable with it.

In addition to the FirstLite/NEMO tent above, I was also looking at the KUIU Summit Star 1P with the mesh interior. I like that it effectively creates a double-wall to reduce the formation of condensation (a complaint against most single-walled tents, apparently).

There are some other options with a double-wall and floor in the <$400 price range from Big Agnes and NEMO as well, but they don't pack down quite as small as the ones mentioned above.

All of these are around 2 lbs packed though.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Condensation dripping on the nose gets you up and at em! You're backpack hunting not glamping! Emoji for shanew!
AgEng06
AG
I'm sure he'll text me about it soon too!
Richard Trickle
AG
I have the stone glacier sky air ULT with the mesh insert and vestibule. It looks a lot like the first lite/nemo one you linked. It's super lightweight and really well made.

My only gripe is it is a ***** to get in and out of especially with a pole in the middle of the entrance. The breakdancing comparison is spot on for these style of tents. I'm going to be looking at the tipi style for this next season just to have some extra room.
shaynew1
AG
I HAVE A NEW BOW TO SHOW YOU GUYS

when i have time to take and upload some pictures
AgDad121619
AG
AgEng06 said:

Mannn, I just don't think I can do floorless yet. I haven't done enough sleeping on the ground to be comfortable with it.

In addition to the FirstLite/NEMO tent above, I was also looking at the KUIU Summit Star 1P with the mesh interior. I like that it effectively creates a double-wall to reduce the formation of condensation (a complaint against most single-walled tents, apparently).

There are some other options with a double-wall and floor in the <$400 price range from Big Agnes and NEMO as well, but they don't pack down quite as small as the ones mentioned above.

All of these are around 2 lbs packed though.
Always upsize 1 over listed capacity - without it you won't have much room to dress or store any gear
mneisch
AG
Dan Durston X-Mid 1 or 2 person. Incredible design with features that punch way above it's price point. Very highly esteemed with the thru hike crowd. Unfortunately they can be rather difficult to get.
mpl35
AG
mneisch said:

Dan Durston X-Mid 1 or 2 person. Incredible design with features that punch way above it's price point. Very highly esteemed with the thru hike crowd. Unfortunately they can be rather difficult to get.
he is out until the Fall....so timing MIGHT work for OP.

mneisch
AG
I was randomly able to snag a returned one from Amazon a month or so back. Hadn't ever been removed from the packaging. I know the most recent batch of 1k sold out in less than a day. It's a mighty impressive shelter though. Lighter than the floorless tipi it replaced and double walled.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Signed up for my CO PPs in OT with 6 hours to spare!
AgEng06
AG
mneisch said:

Wow, that looks great. Just ordered one Amazon Prime for delivery tomorrow.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.