Outdoors
Sponsored by

2021 Big Game Draw Deadlines

59,650 Views | 709 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ttha_aggie_09
AgLA06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Maybe we're just lucky. None of us have had any issues with phones since we started going 6 years ago. We leave them in airplane mode and rarely need to change them.
Aggie Hunter
AG
Best thing about the inreach is the SOS button. I pray I never have to see if it works.
AgEng06
AG
Aggie Hunter said:

Best thing about the inreach is the SOS button. I pray I never have to see if it works.
This is true...

OR

You can have it activate for no known reason, while you left it in camp, and give everyone back home quite a scare.
AggieMPH2005
Put in for Montana moose. Only my second year of applying so mostly just accumulating points.
AgEng06
AG
Wow, this thread had dropped all the way to page 13.

Anyone here ever drawn a CO moose tag and want to share some info since it's basically a once in a lifetime tag? I know there are moose in all the units, but looking for some info to narrow it down.
AgDad121619
AG
AgEng06 said:

Anyone here ever drawn a CO moose tag and want to share some info since it's basically a once in a lifetime tag? I know there are moose in all the units, but looking for some info to narrow it down.
. Ran knot a moose in unit 42 last year. I don't think he is quite legal but I also haven't researched the regs. There was a good creek / meadow that he was hanging out in as I saw a lot of droppings before we saw him - I can share location if you think video warrants pursuing him (think may just be pic and not video)
mneisch
AG
Got my application in for Colorado the other day. Just a reminder to everyone that the deadline is April 6. Looking to draw mule deer and preference points only for pronghorn and elk. Lots of thoughts and rumors about significant point creep for mule deer this year with the seasons being the latest they have ever been. Even third rifle is likely to be solidly rut/pre-rut. Due to that, and a desire for a little bit better weather and less competition with OTC elk we opted to go muzzleloader.
AgDad121619
AG
AgDad121619 said:

AgEng06 said:

. Ran knot a moose in unit 42 last year. I don't think he is quite legal but I also haven't researched the regs. There was a good creek / meadow that he was hanging out in as I saw a lot of droppings before we saw him - I can share location if you think video warrants pursuing him (think may just be pic and not video)

harge57
AG
AgEng06 said:

I have about 4 spots in WY.

Seems like all I could find were moose last year with a elk/mule deer tag. Went to the spot I marked on my map to camp only to find 2 bull moose fighting off and on about 50 yards from where I wanted to camp.
lazuras_dc
AG
I don't know but NRD and I ran into a guy who got blanked on moose when we were hiking out of the front range a few years ago and he said it took him 25 years to draw.
AgEng06
AG
In Colorado, if you draw a tag as a 2nd choice (and get a point with 1st choice), can you refund the 2nd choice tag with no penalties?

I know if you draw a 1st choice tag, you can either get a refund of money or the pref point, not both. I assume for 2nd choice, since a point is not involved, you can simply get a refund?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
lazuras_dc said:

I don't know but NRD and I ran into a guy who got blanked on moose when we were hiking out of the front range a few years ago and he said it took him 25 years to draw.

That was one defeated dude. You going out west this year?

Ageng If you throw out one hunt, I've seen more moose while elk hunting than i have elk. Numbers in co are getting really good. While the Walden area is reknowned as the moose capital of co, the silverthorne to vail pass area has a ton as well and should be easier to draw (relatively speaking)
Why would you want a refund if you got a second chance draw?
AgEng06
AG
NRD09 said:

lazuras_dc said:

Because if I draw NM I won't be going to CO (but the NM odds are low). And I don't want to lose my CO points.

Just for clarity: A 2nd choice tag during the primary draw is different than a tag in the secondary draw. I'm referring to a 2nd choice tag during the primary draw.
BullSprig07
AG
New Mexico results not coming out until after Colorado app deadline really grinds my gears
Water Turkey07
lazuras_dc
AG
I put in for NM archery with my roommate from a&m's dad. If I don't get drawn I'll prob take the kids on a weekend hunt in the hill country. So no Colorado for me this year unless cupofjoe accidentally calls me instead of his hunting buddies and invites me up
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
When you say secondary draw you're taking about leftovers, right? Does co have a real second draw? I would think if you drew as second choice and didn't want the license you could just decline it, especially since you don't pay the full license fee up front any more. Also on getting your points back on a first choice draw, i thought that required a doctors note or equivalent
AgEng06
AG
No, I was talking about 2nd choice in the primary draw. I just wanted to be sure there were no strings attached to the 2nd choice tags.

I was on hold with CPW for 30 minutes for a 2 minutes conversation, but I did confirm you can get a refund for the 2nd choice tag without penalty (less the processing fee, which I believe is $15).
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Cool good info... now get yourself drawn in both co and nm!
mpl35
AG
Just started buying points for my son. He is 11 and just did the hunter education here in Colorado. I just decided since as a kid the fees are low, I'd buy them all.....

He better thank me when he gets that Big horn sheep someday.
BradMtn346
AgEng06 said:

What unit? My son has hunted cow moose.
BradMtn346
AgEng06 said:

In Colorado, if you draw a tag as a 2nd choice (and get a point with 1st choice), can you refund the 2nd choice tag with no penalties?

I know if you draw a 1st choice tag, you can either get a refund of money or the pref point, not both. I assume for 2nd choice, since a point is not involved, you can simply get a refund?
. It depends when you do things. Real question, why turning in the tag?
BradMtn346
AgEng06 said:

NRD09 said:

lazuras_dc said:

Because if I draw NM I won't be going to CO (but the NM odds are low). And I don't want to lose my CO points.

Just for clarity: A 2nd choice tag during the primary draw is different than a tag in the secondary draw. I'm referring to a 2nd choice tag during the primary draw.
. If you draw a second choice tag, it does not use or generate preference post points. No matter what the species. Since the tag didn't cost you points, yours will be the same.
AgEng06
AG
BradMtn346 said:

AgEng06 said:

Brad - First off, it's good to see you back on the board. Your insight and experience is missed around here.

I put in for Unit 18/181 this year. I know 18 was burned pretty badly in 2020, but figured I'd still give it a shot. I was back and forth between 14 and 18 just based on research of tag quotas, success rates, etc. But, I'm open to other suggestions going forward if you have any good tips!
AgDad121619
AG
I am interested in a Montana Wilderness Sept 15/22 rifle hunt in 2022. Going to get a preference point this year and put down a deposit soon because they fill up fast.

Any recommendations on outfitters would be appreciated. There were several threads a few months back but wanted to get some insight from this group.
BradMtn346
AgEng06 said:

BradMtn346 said:

AgEng06 said:

Brad - First off, it's good to see you back on the board. Your insight and experience is missed around here.

I put in for Unit 18/181 this year. I know 18 was burned pretty badly in 2020, but figured I'd still give it a shot. I was back and forth between 14 and 18 just based on research of tag quotas, success rates, etc. But, I'm open to other suggestions going forward if you have any good tips!

I actually lived in 18 for a couple of years after college. There were moose there then, but not enough for them to issue cow tags. I've sent a message to a buddy that I met here in 63, that has moved up there. He will know what is up.

There are several second choice options for cow moose for nonresidents. I have not looked at 18. Is it drawable? Never mind. I'll look.
BradMtn346
AgEng06 said:

BradMtn346 said:

AgEng06 said:

I might be mixing up topics, are you thinking of moose second choice, or deer? There were a couple of units where nonresidents could pull a cow moose tag as a second choice, but that didn't happen last year.
AgEng06
AG
Thanks for the info!

My second choice post was regarding archery elk.

For moose I'm all in on an all season bull tag.
BradMtn346
AgEng06 said:

Thanks for the info!

My second choice post was regarding archery elk.

For moose I'm all in on an all season bull tag.

Archery elk in 18/181 is OTC.

Edit to add that you can buy a second, B list, archery cow tag for that unit. All this you can buy when you get here. I'm surprised you could draw it. Unless you were referring to your unsuccessful choice.
AgEng06
AG
Yeah 18/181 was for bull moose.

Archery elk we are going to Pagosa (77/78), assuming one of us doesn't draw NM.
CS78
MFer! Just went to log in to do Colorado app and they changed the deadline to 8:00pm this year!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
CS78 said:

MFer! Just went to log in to do Colorado app and they changed the deadline to 8:00pm this year!
That makes two of us... there goes my pronghorn hunt
CS78
ttha_aggie_09 said:

CS78 said:

Got to be a huge hit in revenue for the state.
agingcowboy
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

CS78 said:

Yeah, well I got in about 10 mins before and they made me buy my "qualifying license" then the damn thing crashed and I couldn't get back in until after it closed. So I paid $95 and didn't even get to put in for my points!!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
We don't lose our points, right? I'm going to drink if we do... kidding but I'll be sad
agingcowboy
AG
I think it's 2 more years before you lose them. But I may be thinking of a different state.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.