Outdoors
Sponsored by

2018 Western States Draw Deadlines

88,846 Views | 1027 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jetescamilla
LiverEatinJohnson
How long do you want to ignore this user?

shaynew1
AG
God bless you.
BurrOak
AG
I dig the handle.
lazuras_dc
AG
How does one acquire such a publication?
lazuras_dc
AG
I got the PDF but sometime I like having the real deal in my hands: here it is just incase anyone is feeling lazy http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Brochure/BigGame/biggame.pdf
BrazosBQ
AG
Got myself a CP&W account yesterday
stdeb11
AG
Got mine in the mail yesterday
LiverEatinJohnson
Just a reminder... If you had a NM big game tag last year, today is THE deadline for mandatory reporting. Can't submit an app for 2018 draw without it.
shaynew1
AG
So where's everyone planning on applying/hunting this fall?

Having a baby next month and I'm only assured one trip. Gonna bank a Colorado deer point, apply for archery elk in NM, and plan on an otc archery in Colorado. If I draw NM...we'll see.
Todd 02
AG
Were building a house right now so I won't be applying for anything.

I'm brand new to western hunting. Will spend this year fitness training and gathering gear. If the house is finished in time, I might try for something over the counter.

Study, research, and learn as much as I can.
Sean98
AG
Get an elk point Todd.
shaynew1
AG
Sean98 said:

Get an elk point Todd.

Hallelujah Sean has come back around!
AgEng06
AG
Speaking of NM, I don't think we ever got an update from your Jan trip...
AgEng06
AG
I'll be hunting OTC elk 2nd rifle in CO and hopefully going back to AZ next January for OTC archery deer.

Also getting points in CO for deer and AZ for elk, deer, and speedgoat.
Sean98
AG
Yeah, I'm getting an elk point as well.
LiverEatinJohnson
TLDR version....

Glassed up a good 4x4 on day 1. Glased him up again on day 2. 3 hr stalk on day 3. 56 yard shot op but I got greedy and blew it before I could send one down range.

Glassed up an even better 4x4 on day 5 at noon. 4 hr belly crawl from 250 to 35 yards. It was stalking nirvana. He needed to take 2 or 3 more steps to clear some scrub.

Arrow knocked. Release on loop. Pre shot routine engaged. I noticed the exact moment that his body language changed, and instead of continuing to feed my way, he calmly turned and slowly disappeared into the desert scrub.

Borderline erotic. Learned a ton and am a koolaid drinking Dwight Schuh disciple.

shaynew1
AG
dang that sounds like it was a great trip
FincAggie06
AG
Just put in for AZ elk this week. Additionally, will be putting it some combo of draws / priority points for CO, UT, NM, NV, WY this year in respective state.

Fallback will be landowner NM for 2018 if not drawn.

Drew and filled archery CO muley 1st season this past year and ate tag soup on OTC elk.

Can't get here fast enough...already firing up the stair stepper routine extra early this year.
AgEng06
AG
Awesome. Sounds like a great trip.
Todd 02
AG
Sean98 said:

Get an elk point Todd.
So let's say I do this in Colorado...

I create an account. Fill out an application. Put my first (and only) choice as E-P-999-99-P. Pay for a Habitat Stamp ($10), an application processing fee ($3), and a preference point fee ($40). And that's it? $53 and I'm the proud owner of a preference point?

I have a general understanding of preference points... You accumulate them until you get drawn in a more competitive (better) unit and then the balance goes to zero. The more points you have, the more likely you are to "cash in" on an opportunity to hunt a better unit.

So, from here on out, if I'm not just buying a preference point, I should always put down the "better" units as my first few choices. If I get selected, great! If I don't, then I still can get points?

Does the point balance only go to zero if I get my first choice? Or does my point balance go to zero if I draw any choice?
LiverEatinJohnson

Quote:

So, from here on out, if I'm not just buying a preference point, I should always put down the "better" units as my first few choices. If I get selected, great! If I don't, then I still can get points?

Does the point balance only go to zero if I get my first choice? Or does my point balance go to zero if I draw any choice?
Your chance of drawing certain (better) units with 0,1 or 2 (etc) points is basically 0. I'm not really participating in the "points accumulation game" but I do believe you would bank a point and keep all other previously accumulated points if you draw with 2nd choice.
arrow
AG
Compliments of TopRut.com

Sean98
AG
Yes, $53... UNLESS you have a Colorado license (fishing, small game, or a big game tag) the previous year. In that case the cost of a preference point is $0. So It would just be $3/app + $10 habitat stamp.

You accumulate no more than 1 point per year. Your points are only cashed in if you draw your first choice. But your points don't count towards your 2nd choice, so you're not going to draw a multi-point unit on your 2nd choice. Some of the other guys on here have a lot more experience with 2nd/3rd choice hypotheticals because I've never gone beyond my 1st choice. All or nothing.
stdeb11
AG
Good summary so far on the points. Jay Scott has an excellent podcast that explains more on the preference points and some of the strategies you can do with the CO draw.

Jay Scott Podcast Episode 258

I'd attempt to explain my understanding of it, but I'd probably just confuse everyone.
AgEng06
AG
So I guess I misunderstood all these years, but are you not able to kill a cow elk during the OTC seasons? From what I can tell in the brochure, OTC rifle seasons are bull only. Is this correct?
stdeb11
AG
You can kill a cow during rifle season. The OTC tags for rifle seasons are for bulls only. You have to draw a cow tag or pick up on leftover list....So you can still hunt both during the rifle seasons, just have to get the tag thru different methods.
AgEng06
AG
Got it. Thanks.
Todd 02
AG
Quote:

If an applicant both fails to apply for a species and has not purchased a license for that same species during any given 10-year period, all accumulated preference points for that species become void.
From the book...

So does that mean that once I start accumulating points, I must continue to do so every year or I lose them all? Or do I have to apply at least once every ten years?
stdeb11
AG
My understanding is that you have to actually buy a tag to hunt or apply for a real tag once every 10 years. If not, you lose your points. You do not have to buy a point every year....someone more familiar may correct me, but that's what i understand.
AgEng06
AG
That's how I understood it as well.
stdeb11
AG
Also, saw these at Cableas last night. Someone on the other thread was asking about pack able raingear for backpack hunting. Good deal

LiverEatinJohnson
stdeb11 said:

My understanding is that you have to actually buy a tag to hunt or apply for a real tag once every 10 years. If not, you lose your points. You do not have to buy a point every year....someone more familiar may correct me, but that's what i understand.
I swear I thought it was every 5 years. It's neither here nor there for me at this point.
Todd 02
AG
Tried to get my size online a couple times. On a whim I checked the Lubbock store and scored a set.
LiverEatinJohnson
https://www.stoneglacier.com/collections/multi-day-packs/products/evo-40-56

I think I want this pack sooo bad.
lazuras_dc
AG
Crazy, I literally just finished the Meat Eater podcast that had the owner of Stone Galcier on.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.