Outdoors
Sponsored by

2018 Western States Draw Deadlines

90,260 Views | 1027 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jetescamilla
agenjake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dang, we did not get drawn for the Morton Pass WHA. Still plenty of public land, though.
cupofjoe04
AG
Quick scouting trip this am- mostly to see where people are hunting.

Didn't see that big bull this am- but I also didn't go all the way to the top where he was. No sign of anyone hunting in there just yet. I'm guessing if anyone gets up there and bumps them- they will go over the divide and into a different GMU- one that requires like 14 points and is immensely inaccessible.

I did spot a pair of shooter bucks. They were a long ways away, so no pics. But I'm guessing maybe 170'ish.

Followed some turkey on a ranch early on. I have permission, so no trespassing. Pretty cool to see the toms strutting in the fall. I guess I'm going to have to get a stupid turkey tag now... ha ha!

It's starting to get cold now at night- definitly fall weather. Some aspens are starting to turn (6 weeks early). Gotta be a result of the drought.

shaynew1
shaynew1
AG
Work has pushed my departure back to TUESDAY. Got to look at some cattle in Abilene on my way up.
Log
AG
shaynew1 said:

Work has pushed my departure back to TUESDAY. Got to look at some cattle in Abilene on my way up.

BOOFOOKINGHOO!

That being said, since I'm stuck between a 9 month old, potentially moving to a new abode locally, getting crapped on by all my out of state applications this year, ergot, I can't swing a week out west during horny elk season this year, I've got some serious shenanigans planned for November/December. Bow/rifle/blackpowder? We shall see.
shaynew1
AG
i strap my 5 month old into a stroller and we go outside and shoot every evening.

its gonna be tough being gone i think.
AgEng06
AG
Alright, one of you guys school me on CO OTC tags. I've never gotten OTC tags in CO and will be going up for 2nd rifle this year. I believe you can buy them at most any sporting goods store until the season starts, and then at CPW offices after that? Is this correct? We won't be arriving until early Saturday morning, the day season opens.

If I go ahead and order online, will they ship me an official license printed on "license paper" (for lack of a better word)? I don't want to have to print it on regular paper and carry that around.

cupofjoe04
AG
If you buy online, they will mail your license. Give them plenty of time. Easiest and best option.

You can easily buy OTC licenses @ retailers (Walmart, sporting goods store, etc). I'm unsure about only being able to buy them @ an office after season starts. Someone else will have to weigh in on that- never done that personaly.
AgEng06
AG
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to go ahead and buy mine online soon so I don't have to worry about it.

The main reason I was asking is because a few in our group are still contemplating on whether or not they want to buy tags or just go along for the experience and to help out.
cupofjoe04
AG
AgEng06 said:

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to go ahead and buy mine online soon so I don't have to worry about it.

The main reason I was asking is because a few in our group are still contemplating on whether or not they want to buy tags or just go along for the experience and to help out.

Well, the only thing I can tell you is if they don't buy a tag, I guarantee they will see a massive bull when no one has a tag. If they do buy tags, you'll probably get skunked. At least that's how it works for me... ha ha
AgEng06
AG
That's what I completely expect, but I'm buying a tag regardless. They are trying to be cheap, but I get where they are coming from I guess. The odds of our group killing a single elk are terrible, let alone multiple.
bkag9824
AG
You can buy online & have most any sporting goods store print it for you instead of shipping.

I bought an OTC turkey tag last Tuesday evening while out of town, had it printed at the local store...saved me $15 in shipping.

And good luck!
cupofjoe04
AG
Quick scouting trip last night.

I found a decent buck in a bachelor group again. He has a split on his left upper fork, looks cool. I would certainly shoot him (this will be my first mule deer buck, so I'm just trying to learn and have fun, not worried about inches), if I can get close enough. I've seen this group a few times now. They like to hang out in this thick oak brush, very close to private property. It will be a delicate balance between sneaking in, and not bumping them over the fence- never to be seen again.

Also ran into a nice herd of elk.

Edit to add pictures

shaynew1
AG
Its a long stretch of highway at midnight
In New Mexico
cupofjoe04
AG
shaynew1 said:

Its a long stretch of highway at midnight
In New Mexico

That's a brutal stretch in the dark trying to keep awake...

Open in the windows, and do some more dreaming of the mountains that await you!
shaynew1
AG
Solo drive up is no problem...I'm headed for blood!

It's the drive back down that's the bummer.
cupofjoe04
AG
shaynew1 said:

Solo drive up is no problem...I'm headed for blood!

It's the drive back down that's the bummer.

Not this year... just strap the big boy your gonna kill in the seat next to you! Should keep you entertained
shaynew1
AG
I'm equally happy chootin little ones
cupofjoe04
AG
New fire burning, in some prime hunting territory. A couple miles from my house- don't expect it to pose any threat to strictures.

But I know one guy who brought his hunting group back out due to this fire. I helped them get settled in a new area this am. Hoping LEJ and other's are doing well. I don't think they are in close, but not exactly sure. Didn't find anyone along the trial other than the group I helped out.

I didn't think to take any pics while I was up there today. Forrest Service guys wanted us out quick. It's actually a pretty cool looking fire, it's burning on top of and along a big rocky peak. Pretty small fire at this point- appears to be containable. It sort of looks like the rocks are on fire (though I know they aren't).

Edited: this is a view of the Horse Creek Fire, which is about 8-10 miles north of Chimney Rock. This is the fire that is getting all the attention I am seeing in town. It is 90 acres, I just found out, and they are working to contain and protect structures.
cupofjoe04
AG
For those familiar with the area- Fire is between Cimarrona and Williams Creek- a little more NE

USFS guy I talked to said possibly lightning strike. Given that it is in the Weminuche, they will likely let it run its course as much as possible. That's all the info I could get.
AgEng06
AG
As far as I know LEJ is doing good, but I'll text him in the morning to make sure. I think shayne is up that way as well.
harge57
AG
Alarm is set for 5:15. 23 hour drive plus a few hours sleep and I should be hiking into the Wilderness of Montana Sunday by noon.
AgEng06
AG
Also, since you guys will appreciate this... My hunting buddy got the lottery ticket call last Monday. He leaves on Sunday for a combo moose/grizzly hunt in Alaska. The booked hunter canceled and he was next man up on the cancelation list.

I'll be living vicariously through him for the next two weeks.
cupofjoe04
AG
AgEng06 said:

As far as I know LEJ is doing good, but I'll text him in the morning to make sure. I think shayne is up that way as well.

Thanks- let us know if you hear anything. I think I have his # somewhere. I know he still has mine, so I figured he'd holler if he was in a pinch. I could be to him just about as fast as I can hike.

I'm not sure exactly which trail Shane was heading up. I seriously doubt this fire poses a threat to either. Might actually push some animals towards LEJ, if anything.

Better safe than sorry.
cupofjoe04
AG
harge57 said:

Alarm is set for 5:15. 23 hour drive plus a few hours sleep and I should be hiking into the Wilderness of Montana Sunday by noon.

Need a riding partner/meat boy? Ha ha! That's a dream
of mine... some day!
AgEng06
AG
I'll update you when I hear from him. He's on his InReach instead of his cell, so the number is different.
cupofjoe04
AG
Awesome, thanks! I've got an InReach as well- great investment. So if there ever is a need, you and I could swap some info pretty easily and get someone what they need. Hopefully just help packing out a 350" bull from a dark canyon!!!
AgEng06
AG
If you don't mind, I'd like to get with you and swap info before I head up in October just in case we need anything.
cupofjoe04
AG
AgEng06 said:

If you don't mind, I'd like to get with you and swap info before I head up in October just in case we need anything.

Absolutely. Here for anything you need- even a hot meal after a long hunt!
AgEng06
AG
LEJ is doing good. He said he can see some haze in that direction.

His plan is to pack out to the truck and resupply today.
cupofjoe04
bkag9824
AG
Skunked searching for blues this morning. Spot from last year held one covey of 5-6, but I wasn't with the group that saw them.

Saw lots of bear scat though. Eating lots of berries, and I'd say it's a spot to go back to in search of one, but not sure how much our scent/disturbance will play into a bear coming back.
stdeb11
AG
I got back from hunting opening week yesterday. And have a story that I'm not terribly sure I even want to tell, but maybe it will help someone else on here. Although I'm guessing most are smarter than me. Bottom line, not only read the regulations, but actually UNDERSTAND them. If you hunt in a 4 point rule unit, spikes over 5" are NOT LEGAL.

Sunday morning, 2nd day of the season, I killed my first elk. A spike came up the draw, turned broadside, and I shot him at 42yds. Made a great shot, he went 75yds and I watched him kick over. Field dressed him, and packed him the almost 2 miles and 700ft climb back to camp. I was very excited for all of about 30hrs that I would an elk in the freezer for the first time in 3 years of bow hunting for them.

Went into town the next day to get cell service, sent a picture to my buddy who said congrats and then called me about 5mins later. He informed me of what I did not previously understand. The spike was longer than 5" and I hunt in a 4 point rule unit, which means he was not legal. We went thru the regs and he was indeed correct. I knew the 4 points requirement (even checked he wasn't forked before letting the arrow fly) but for whatever reason thought any spike was legal. I felt sick about what happened.

With that new information, I decided I would self report the violation and take my lumps. I made the drive back to camp, loaded up the cooler and head, and drove him the 1.5hrs to the CPW office. That was a long drive. The game warden was a great guy. I told him what happened (I'm an idiot and no excuse) and he was very understanding. Sadly, he had to take the elk, but he did reissue my license since I came and self reported. Now I've got the rest of the season to actually get one to my the freezer. Lesson learned and won't ever make that mistake again..

TLDR; read and understand all hunting regulations for the unit you hunt. CO game wardens are good people. Self reporting game violations, while painful, isn't the end of the world. I'm dumb, don't be like me.
agingcowboy
AG
Dumb has nothing to do with it. You made a mistake...it happens. Much respect for reporting yourself and making it right. That takes some serious guts. I dare say many people wouldn't have done that.

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching."
John Wooden

Respect. And good luck with the rest of the season.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cupofjoe04
AG
Man- that sucks. Much respect and kudos to you for having high character in a crappy situation- and I'm glad your character paid off. My guess is the majority of people wouldn't have self-reported. This is a lesson for all of us. They didn't have to reissue your license, but it was the right thing for them to do in this case. Here's hoping you can arrow another elk and get some meet in your freezer!

For anyone else who may be confused- I believe the rule is a bull with 4 points on one side OR a bull with a 5" brow tine (a 3x2 w/ 5"+ brows)- not a spike. This can be confusing coming from a county in TX where you can shot an 8pt OR spike.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.