***** Loki - Season 1 Discussion Thread (Wednesdays - Jun 9 - Jul 14) *****

107,983 Views | 1210 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by mazag08
AggieSureShot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nothing at the end credits
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
I watched Screen Crush and Heavy Spoilers, and I left feeling no more knowledgeable but far more nerdy.

For me, forget that crap.

Hilddleston was great. Really enjoyed the season.
JCRiley09
AG
We're left with a lot of unanswered questions on purpose. This show is setting up a couple movies and above all, a second season. We're going to speculate and discuss theories for a year or two just like we've done with other great tv shows.
BowSowy
AG
I love seeing guys go crazy over a thirst trap. But I didn't ever think Miss Minutes would be a thirst trap
Lathspell
AG
I got too much of a Jesse Eisenberg Luther from the guy. Didn't like him at all.
bobinator
AG
After sleeping on it I'm still not at all sure I understand how time works in this universe, but like I said a few episodes ago it's probably best not to think on that part too much.
BCG Disciple
AG
How sure are we the TVs exists out of time? There were so many branches of branches expanding damn near infinitely while the Loki's were talking to HWR, I basically wrote it off as a previous time branch where the TVA also existed on the branch and Loki was sent there. But I don't think I have show basis on which to draw this conclusion.
BCG Disciple
AG
I read it as it all exist concurrently. The second something happens to the guy controlling at the end of time, branches sprout immediately thousands/millions/billions of years in the past. That's why Kang was confident that if you killed him he would be there. Nothing to suggest the "sacred" timeline was anything other than a prior branch with everything pruned around it.

I'm struggling to understand how the TVA was even there if it was started by HWR outside of time. Or how time works with the TVA, which is outside of time.
Saxsoon
AG
BowSowy said:

I love seeing guys go crazy over a thirst trap. But I didn't ever think Miss Minutes would be a thirst trap

She is ALL curves
Dro07
AG
time isn't straight its a circle. The time line was shown wrapped around the castle so i think time is continuously happening.
Dro07
AG
Right my only issue is how the TVA changed if they exist out of time. Maybe their minds were erased like someone suggested earlier
Capitol Ag
AG
Dro07 said:

Right my only issue is how the TVA changed if they exist out of time. Maybe their minds were erased like someone suggested earlier

It's an alternative time line. Created when Immortus/Kang running the main time line was killed. Granted, not sure how Loki was sent back to the TVA b4 Immortus was killed but that was the best description I could think of. But if the evil Kangs came back, even though the TVA is "out of time", it could still create a Nexus event effecting the TVA even. Especially if this other Kang took control at some point.
JJxvi
AG
Time doesn't work in terms of the TVA. How the TVA can even exist is not really explained. It clearly has some form of its own system of time, as events there and also within the universes that they are monitoring happen in a sequence , but it does not seem to have a relation to time as we think of it in our own lives in a single universe. For example, from the POV of the TVA... Loki escapes, Loki causes a nexus, TVA shows up, Loki escapes again, causes a nexus further back in the past, TVA shows up a second time, etc... all of that happens in a time sequence for the people at the TVA, but would make no sense for someone viewing the events in terms of time inside a single universe.

Time as we think of it exists as a characteristic of a single universe (or timeline, little t, I guess, not to be confused with the "Sacred Timeline"). A universe runs forward in time from beginning to end following its path as events within it unfold, but many parallel universes exist simultaneously, We'll use marvel's term and call it a multiverse.

It seems the natural state of the multiverse is branched like a tree, countless universes may follow a similar main branch together, but then diverge into smaller and smaller branches depending on whether nexus events happen within them or not. Other universes in the multiverse that are very close to you on the tree will be pretty much the same (ie, you can go there and borrow their infinity stone that you know will be in the same place), one that branches early and runs to the far side of the "tree" from your home universe would be very different.

He Who Remains' version of the TVA was able to manage all paths of the multiverse into one solid trunk by destroying all of the branches that didn't stay on the approved path. We have no idea what kind of "time" the castle occupied by He Who Remains was in. It seemed like maybe it was also in "TVA time"? But I think it probably wasnt. It seems like it would have to be on "another level up" where he was managing a multiverse of TVAs (and hence was dealing with the results of what happens in the TVA over and over again in a similar way that the TVA experiences events that happen in the "real" universes over and over again.

My view of the end of the episode is that he was merely the last version of Kang to bring essentially all versions of the TVA and all versions of the universe into one alignment. The end of the episode shows that the TVA must not have been only his creation, other variants of himself must have been able to create it as well, as Loki shows up in one. Each variant of him that wanted to conquer or control or to make peace even, was likely using some sort of version of the TVA to bring about their goals on a multiverse level. And since now the multiverse has branched back into chaos, these extra versions of the TVA essentially pop into existence as well. Loki is likely in a new TVA, that from his point of view has just popped into existence (although he doesnt know that). This new TVA is likely the one that is adjacent to the branch of universes that our main universe is in (ie kinda where he came from). And it seems that the TVA on our branch is probably going to be one controlled by the variant that is called Kang the Conqueror.
bobinator
AG
No I get that part, I've been on this time loop thing for weeks. It's the only way the variants make any sense.

I'm having trouble even putting the part I don't get into words, but there's just some of it that doesn't make sense to me.
bobinator
AG
I think at a minimum calling it the 'sacred timeline' when it's clearly more than one timeline was very confusing.
TexasAggie_02
AG
I think that them reaching Kang was a nexus event. He knew everything that was going to happen until it redlined. Once they hit the redline, the multiverse had started and he didn't know exactly how it would all end.
jackie childs
rhutton125 said:

I didn't like his zaniness at all. That said, in the final ~10 minutes or so of the episode, it was a lot easier to stomach. When Kang became giddy with the unknown instead of being overly casual and hip.

Pretty big Kang fan in general so maybe I was just put off by the departure. But like someone said before, any other Kangs we see may act totally differently.
considering the amount of exposition he had to deliver in this episode, i think not only was this the perfect version of Kang/He Who Remains for that scene...it was really the only option. if you had a truly evil/ruthless version of Kang in that scene, he not only wouldn't explain everything, he'd have probably killed loki/sylvie almost immediately.

i just really thought this version was brilliantly done and Majors knocked it out of the park.
texasaggie04
AG
jackie childs
also, i love the non-MCU fans who just mindlessly assume all MCU movies/properties are the same. that's never really been the case, but it damn sure hasn't been the case with the Disney+ series.
MASAXET
AG
My only real comment is to echo what a lot of people already said: the finale was AWESOME. And by far the best part was Majors - he absolutely stole the show once he appeared. I've enjoyed his prior work, but he truly knocked it out of the park. I was blown away.

The combo of his acting and the way that episode was directed with the camera shots (long takes with gradual zoom in/out during expositions) was amazing. Super enjoyed it. In fact, I think I was enjoying how the episode came together so much that I probably missed a LOT and need to watch it again.
JJxvi
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

I think that them reaching Kang was a nexus event. He knew everything that was going to happen until it redlined. Once they hit the redline, the multiverse had started and he didn't know exactly how it would all end.
I interpreted this as "he never let it get past a certain point before"

As I said above, he must be dealing with a multiverse of TVA's producing a multiverse of Loki's and Sylvie's in order to have the experience he said he did. What I'm imagining is that he lets it go on long enough to be in danger and then kills them, then next time he lets it go a little longer using what he's learned etc. And he's continually doing a groundhog day to try and get one of them to take over for him. Assuming he's not a liar, and the fact that he did allow himself to be killed would seem to indicate he was telling the truth. He did basically have Loki convinced, just not Sylvie, I guess he couldve tried killing Sylvie, but I guess maybe that wouldnt exactly endear him to this Loki.

There's a bit of a clone memory logic to him that I dont like. I agree that killing him and setting the multiverse free, probably would lead right back to another variant of himself doing the same thing he did, but it wouldn't be him, according to what we know.
Saxsoon
AG
I think them caring for each other on Lamentis created the Nexus event that proved to Kang that this might finally be the two that will work. It didn't but there was a possibility
bobinator
AG
JJxvi said:

As I said above, he must be dealing with a multiverse of TVA's producing a multiverse of Loki's and Sylvie's in order to have the experience he said he did.
I'm not sure this is true. I think you could accomplish this just by going multiple times through the same loop.

For me, he can't be dealing with a multiverse of TVA's or the whole thing doesn't work.
JJxvi
AG
These two Loki's teaming up were a "TVA level" nexus because its the nexus that creates the conditions necessary for He Who Remains to be challenged (it requires both of them in order to get to him).

What I dont like about that nexus is that IMO it is a bit of a plot hole because of circular logic. In order to be a nexus that continues, the TVA has to save them, and the TVA saves them because a nexus was created.
KCup17
AG
I want season 2 to happen all ready. So many loose ends to tie up after that finale. It actually got me excited for what is next.
JJxvi
AG
bobinator said:

JJxvi said:

As I said above, he must be dealing with a multiverse of TVA's producing a multiverse of Loki's and Sylvie's in order to have the experience he said he did.
I'm not sure this is true. I think you could accomplish this just by going multiple times through the same loop.

For me, he can't be dealing with a multiverse of TVA's or the whole thing doesn't work.
Yeah you could. It still requires him to be outside of the TVA timeline or above it all or whatever. He would also still have to build up to his knowledge groundhog day style. He cant "die" over and over in a loop though, unless he is born with the knowledge of his past lives every time, and we've seen no indication of that, and he himself indicates that the part where he gives them a choice was a boundary he had never crossed before.
Decay
AG
Wait a sec. Miss Minutes went to the "end of time" and it explicitly showed that when she was doing that, she couldn't give Renslayer the files. Is the TVA just at the same time as that?
bobinator
AG
The last bit you can just write off as He Who Remains shenanigans. If he's trying to "pave the path" or whatever he said he could have just manipulated things.

But that's kind of what I'm talking about just having to not think too much about it.

Like here's a more fundamental one:

Loki escaping with the Tesseract was the nexus event that gets him caught by the TVA. He wasn't supposed to escape with it, I think they outright said that. Yet, if he doesn't, then there's no need for Captain America and Iron Man to go further into the past for it. So if he wasn't supposed to escape, then that also wasn't supposed to happen, making them variants as well right?
wessimo
AG
Saxsoon said:

BowSowy said:

She is ALL curves

Not bad for 48 y.o.
JJxvi
AG
Miss Minutes is always in He Who Remains' time. I agree that scene is a bit of a hole, as it indicates that He Who Remains actions are on the same scale as the events in the TVA. It would lean it more towards Bobinators "loops" i think.

The problem with the loops is that the its hard to imagine the TVA having a beginning and an end to loop back across unless the "beginning" is the point where He Who Remains created or took control of it, and if that's the case then that point should only happen once on He Who Remains' personal timeline, not loop back forth across it.
JJxvi
AG
bobinator said:

The last bit you can just write off as He Who Remains shenanigans. If he's trying to "pave the path" or whatever he said he could have just manipulated things.

But that's kind of what I'm talking about just having to not think too much about it.

Like here's a more fundamental one:

Loki escaping with the Tesseract was the nexus event that gets him caught by the TVA. He wasn't supposed to escape with it, I think they outright said that. Yet, if he doesn't, then there's no need for Captain America and Iron Man to go further into the past for it. So if he wasn't supposed to escape, then that also wasn't supposed to happen, making them variants as well right?
You're only a variant if you belong to a universe that branches off the path that leads to the proper end.

It implies that variants and other branches are necessary to lead to the proper ending, but only as long as they are pruned off before the futures that they create are allowed to come back and interact with the "sacred timeline" (ie other Kang's show up)
JJxvi
AG
Also, its possible that maybe some or most of the time in most universes they succeed and get the Tesseract without having to go back in time again.
bobinator
AG
Yeah but they'd all be variants in the same branch. The "Loki escapes with the Tesseract" branch right?
JJxvi
AG
It does bring into question what exactly Dr. Strange sees in all of the timelines where the Avengers do not succeed in Infinity War. I wonder if thats gonna come back up.
JJxvi
AG
bobinator said:

Yeah but they'd all be variants in the same branch. The "Loki escapes with the Tesseract" branch right?
I think in the TVA terms youre only a variant to them if your timeline doesn't go the right place.

The Sorcerer Supreme that Banner gets the time stone from is a variant of the one we saw in Dr. Strange. But neither one is a "variant" to the TVA because they exist in a universe that follows the timeline.

So our Cap and Iron Man varied from the timeline be releasing Loki, but only Loki was a variant to the TVA since that Cap and that Iron Man went back to their own universes without taking those universes off the sacred timeline. Loki however, was going to cause problems so he was a variant.

That Cap and Iron Man also time travelled to another universe. That Loki that was released, wasn't their Loki. Their Loki was killed by Thanos.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.