***** Loki - Season 1 Discussion Thread (Wednesdays - Jun 9 - Jul 14) *****

100,493 Views | 1210 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by mazag08
FincAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In Norse mythology, Hel is an afterlife location. It is ruled over by a being of the same name, Hel. In late Icelandic sources, varying descriptions of Hel are given and various figures are described as being buried with items that will facilitate their journey to Hel after their death.
bobinator
AG
Another great episode, need to think on it for a night.
wangus12
AG
Really liking it. I kinda want to see Sylvie show up in T:L&T just for comedic reasons with Thor
TexasAggie_02
AG
Also nice little nod to the avengers theme in the post credit scene. The violins are the same at the 19 second mark. Loki about to avenge the entire multiverse.

BowSowy
AG
texasaggie04 said:

3. They did (at least mildly) explain how there are Loki variants. How I understand it, some anomalous event occurs (Loki born as a female instead of a male). Once that event cause enough of a ripple in the timeline (for her apparently it took a few years), the TVA catches it and resets it. Resetting it, I assume, completely resets the timeline back to the inciting incident (in this case, the birth of Loki).

This is interesting, because I'd just assumed that the different Loki's meant there were actually multiple timelines.

I saw an interesting thought on Reddit, that may support your idea of the TVA allowing different Loki's to live until they stray too far off the sacred timeline. I'll put spoiler tags on it since I don't know if was an original thought or something gleaned from elsewhere: This person noticed how young Sylvie was playing with toys and saying something about saving Asgard. They thought that maybe she was showing kindness which was the Nexus event for a Loki. You also see a Loki wielding a hammer. Maybe that Loki was pruned because, in his universe, he was worthy of yielding the hammer.

I like your idea, because I can at least get my head around how there are Loki's that look vastly different on a single timeline. Maybe it's different universes running in parallel to the Sacred Timeline that are allowed to continue as long as they don't stray too far. Maybe that was completely obvious, I don't know. Time travel and timelines gets weird and confusing quickly for me.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Mobius did say in the first episode that his destiny was to be at his worst so that others could achieve their best versions of themselves.
bobinator
AG
I still don't love that explanation, but it's probably all we're going to get.
YouBet
AG
texasaggie04 said:

Few thoughts:

3. They did (at least mildly) explain how there are Loki variants. How I understand it, some anomalous event occurs (Loki born as a female instead of a male). Once that event cause enough of a ripple in the timeline (for her apparently it took a few years), the TVA catches it and resets it. Resetting it, I assume, completely resets the timeline back to the inciting incident (in this case, the birth of Loki). The variant is taken in and either turned into a TVA agent or pruned. If pruned, they go to... we don't know where yet..

Exactly how I interpreted it and actually makes things cleaner in my mind. Basically, you have these duplicative, cancerous variants that pop up and then they trim them if they get malignant.

Loved the episode but that Snopes fight scene was absolutely terrible. Complete amateur hour. One of the worst, choreographed fight scenes I've ever seen. What else bad can I say about it?

My wife called the Timekeepers immediately upon seeing them."Those are obviously puppets and fake to fool the TVA." That was before they even showed them up close to be Showbiz Pizza Place rejects.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
texasaggie04 said:

2. I guess I'm on board the Kang is pulling the strings bandwagon. That makes me wonder if the TVA headquarters is the same city that is seen in the quantum realm in the original Ant-Man (akin to Quantum Realm City in the comics).
This is what makes sense to me. The TVA is in the city shown in Ant Man & the Wasp (not the original Ant Man).
YouBet
AG
Fightin TX Aggie said:

texasaggie04 said:

2. I guess I'm on board the Kang is pulling the strings bandwagon. That makes me wonder if the TVA headquarters is the same city that is seen in the quantum realm in the original Ant-Man (akin to Quantum Realm City in the comics).
This is what makes sense to me. The TVA is in the city shown in Ant Man & the Wasp (not the original Ant Man).

Will look for that.
Not a Bot
AG
Just finished the episode. I am so lost and confused, but in a good way I guess.
The Shank Ag
I mean, they wouldn't bring in Owen for just 2.75 episodes. Have a feeling he and Hiddleston will still play major roles going forward
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
YouBet said:

Fightin TX Aggie said:

texasaggie04 said:

Will look for that.
It's a framed shot in the quantum realm. A bubble that clearly has a large city within it.
redline248
AG
Quote:

Loved the episode but that Snopes fight scene was absolutely terrible. Complete amateur hour. One of the worst, choreographed fight scenes I've ever seen. What else bad can I say about it?
It was Ian McDiarmid's old ass trying to act like a master sith swordsman in episode 3 bad.

Maybe they blew too much on the effects in the previous episode that they couldn't afford to hire good choreographers or stunt people.
TexasAggie_02
AG
The Shank Ag said:

I mean, they wouldn't bring in Owen for just 2.75 episodes. Have a feeling he and Hiddleston will still play major roles going forward

There are still unused scenes from the trailers earlier this year. one trailer scene has mobius driving a truck towards the pyramids
JCRiley09
AG
Any action from the Disney Marvel shows has been poor. The writing is great, the fight scenes are subpar
BoydCrowder13
It's totally Kang and Mephisto teaming up.
JCRiley09
AG
Anyone else getting braveheart vibes from the score this episode?
Not a Bot
AG
W
AG
okay, just watched episode 4...

it's right there with episode 2 for the best of the series.

kudos to the posters that predicted a TVA ex-machina rescue of Loki and Sylvie.

Mobius' pruning is the moment of the series so far. That was a shocker. Figured the jet skiing would be referenced again. After the end credit scene...not sure if pruning equals death completely.

glad the time keepers turned out to be robots. Wonder if the TVA mastermind is someone from Asgard (or the Thor movies) or of Asgardian lore
double aught
AG
What's a nexus event?
W
AG
regarding the fight scenes...not sure the show really needs them.

folks don't think of Loki as a "brawler" to begin with
redline248
AG
double aught said:

What's a nexus event?
Loki taking the tesserect and vanishing from the Avengers in the past during End Game was a nexus event. Anything that isn't "supposed to happen" that causes a time branch.
Albatross Necklace
TexasAggie_02 said:

The Shank Ag said:

There are still unused scenes from the trailers earlier this year. one trailer scene has mobius driving a truck towards the pyramids
Marvel never lies in their trailers

PatAg
AG
That episode was SO Much better
also

hard to say if any of that really matches with the city shots we have seen, but I like the idea

schmidthead
Can't tell if serious
AgLaw02
AG
When a nexus event creates a new timeline, and the TVA clips that timeline, then the TVA just committed mass geniocide, right?

Even Thanos only took half the life in the universe. The TVA eliminates all life, and the universe itself. Am I getting that right?
YouBet
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

It was Ian McDiarmid's old ass trying to act like a master sith swordsman in episode 3 bad.

Maybe they blew too much on the effects in the previous episode that they couldn't afford to hire good choreographers or stunt people.

The other ones have been acceptable. This one was insulting to me.
YouBet
AG
And it looks like pruning clearly doesn't kill you. I'm not convinced that was NYC where Loki ended up but probably a good guess since the buildings look like earth.

I'm now wondering if instead of killing variants they are shipping them off to self contained pruned timelines. IOW, maybe it's something like the Shadow Zone where General Zod goes.
lazuras_dc
AG
AgLaw02 said:

When a nexus event creates a new timeline, and the TVA clips that timeline, then the TVA just committed mass geniocide, right?

Even Thanos only took half the life in the universe. The TVA eliminates all life, and the universe itself. Am I getting that right?

I call that mercy
Dro07
AG
Quote:

I'm not convinced that was NYC where Loki ended up but probably a good guess since the buildings look like earth.
if we go by the trailer we know that Loki shows up on a destroyed New York with the Avengers building in the background

texasaggie04
AG
Fightin TX Aggie said:

texasaggie04 said:

Good catch, you're right. Thanks.
Grabbed a photo of it off the internet for anybody who hasn't seen it. It's essentially an Easter egg that is seen when the ship is getting larger and leaving the quantum realm.

YouBet
AG
dromo07 said:

Quote:

I'm not convinced that was NYC where Loki ended up but probably a good guess since the buildings look like earth.
if we go by the trailer we know that Loki shows up on a destroyed New York with the Avengers building in the background

Well there you go. So I'm thinking this is a dead timeline they sent him to that has been pruned.
texasaggie04
AG
AgLaw02 said:

Actually I'm not sure we know this either anymore. If pruning somebody sends them to another timeline, then resetting a timeline might not destroy anything. Maybe it... seals everything off in some self-contained universe? Therefore actually creating a multiverse?

Real life science about multiverse

Admittedly this is all way above my feeble brain. But if each universe is its own sphere, maybe resetting the timeline somehow separates that branch from the "sacred timeline" and creates a new universe. Therefore the "sacred timeline" is nothing more than a single universe bending to the whim of the timekeepers (or Kang, or whoever).

Hopefully that makes sense. Maybe think of it more like a cell dividing. Perhaps there is actually only a single universe (the cell) and it would just chug along like normal but the act of resetting the timeline itself causes the cell to divide thereby creating that second universe, and resetting the original back to the cell as it was.
YouBet
AG
texasaggie04 said:

AgLaw02 said:

Actually I'm not sure we know this either anymore. If pruning somebody sends them to another timeline, then resetting a timeline might not destroy anything. Maybe it... seals everything off in some self-contained universe? Therefore actually creating a multiverse?

Real life science about multiverse

Admittedly this is all way above my feeble brain. But if each universe is its own sphere, maybe resetting the timeline somehow separates that branch from the "sacred timeline" and creates a new universe. Therefore the "sacred timeline" is nothing more than a single universe bending to the whim of the timekeepers (or Kang, or whoever).

Hopefully that makes sense. Maybe think of it more like a cell dividing. Perhaps there is actually only a single universe (the cell) and it would just chug along like normal but the act of resetting the timeline itself causes the cell to divide thereby creating that second universe, and resetting the original back to the cell as it was.
This is what I said just above although you said it more eloquently. Coincidentally, I'm finishing up a SciFi trilogy right now where what you stated on bold is a very similar story arc being played out in this book.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.