***** Loki - Season 1 Discussion Thread (Wednesdays - Jun 9 - Jul 14) *****

102,353 Views | 1210 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by mazag08
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bluefire579 said:

#1 said:

Just finished watching it. I read the non spoiler comments on here before watching it and I was coming into this episode with low expectations based on some of your comments. But I thought it was great! Not sure why people are ridiculing Disney by making Loki "bi-sexual." I thought it was well established in the comics. The TVA employees being variants was bit of a shock. I immediately started thinking that Owen Wilson's character was an avid Jet Ski rider in a different time-line. My theory on how they get out of the planet is that the TVA shows up. I think somehow Loki and Lady Loki help some of the "Poorer People" that were shown in the beginning of the episode to escape the planet which then alerts the TVA that there is a Nexus event in that time-line and show up. Obviously just a theory that's most likely very wrong. Can't wait until next week.
This is also a character based off a Norse God who at one point transformed into a horse, got boned by a male stallion, and gave birth to the legendary horse that Odin rode into battle, so there's that

The Debt
jeffk said:

Also, it's not some sort of woke signaling by Disney as they're drawing straight (pun intended) from the comic source material.

Eric July talks about saying "it's from the source material" is useless because over the last 10 years comic book creators have SJW'd existing characters. Now when film/TV producers say "we found it in the source material" they dont mean the 40-50 years of iconic character development, they mean the recent reimagining which injects LBGTQAIP into the character.
redline248
AG
The only caution I will offer to "over thinking" is that a lot of times people work themselves into a frenzy of sorts. Then when the show/movie doesn't deliver on any of the theories those people feel let down. It definitely happened in WandaVision.

"They're is no way Agatha is the villain!" Even after she revealed herself to Wanda and had the little song, people still didn't believe it.
TCTTS
AG
The Debt said:

jeffk said:

Also, it's not some sort of woke signaling by Disney as they're drawing straight (pun intended) from the comic source material.

Eric July talks about saying "it's from the source material" is useless because over the last 10 years comic book creators have SJW'd existing characters. Now when film/TV producers say "we found it in the source material" they dont mean the 40-50 years of iconic character development, they mean the recent reimagining which injects LBGTQAIP into the character.

Who. F/cking. Cares?

Do you get this annoyed when they "inject" hetero relationships into the story? Or when a character expresses interest in the opposite sex? Because ultimately there's no difference.

Has wokeness gone too far overall? Absolutely. There are elements of it I can't stand, that are poisoning the country, no doubt. But this instance was about as quick and subtle as possible, and if it helps someone who's bi to be "seen" or find identification in/better connect to the MCU, I'm all for it.

I swear, this automatic rejection of anything even remotely woke/SJW has become so dumb and mindless and predictable. When, in reality, some of it *is* valid and worth the effort and/or innocuous and not at all the poisonous kind.
JCRiley09
AG
It's one line unrelated to the overall plot that is very in-character. And predictably we've spent pages talking about it.
MooreTrucker
AG
Some people are just triggered by anything like that I guess.
jeffk
AG
The Debt said:

jeffk said:

I don't know who Eric July is, but comics have pushed the margins of social change since the 1940s, so I don't give a lot of credence to folks who act surprised and outraged when more recent realizations of that same material are made. These aren't kids cartoons. They deal with adult issues. If it impacts your enjoyment of them, then quit watching. Loki and Thor and really the rest of the Marvel crew sleep around with tons of humans, Asgardians, aliens, etc. Knowing that, why is gender preference suddenly a big sticking point?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I assume that every character in every movie is gay unless I see them on screen having sex with a member of the opposite sex.

Palpy and Vader? Gay.
Buzz and Woody? C'mon, with names like that? Gay.
Rocket and Groot? Extra gay.

PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

The Debt said:

jeffk said:

Who. F/cking. Cares?

Do you get this annoyed when they "inject" hetero relationships into the story? Or when a character expresses interest in the opposite sex? Because ultimately there's no difference.

Has wokeness gone too far overall? Absolutely. There are elements of it I can't stand, that are poisoning the country, no doubt. But this instance was about as quick and subtle as possible, and if it helps someone who's bi to be "seen" or find identification in/better connect to the MCU, I'm all for it.

I swear, this automatic rejection of anything even remotely woke/SJW has become so dumb and mindless and predictable. When, in reality, some of it *is* valid and worth the effort and/or innocuous and not at all the poisonous kind.
I'm just surprised there wasn't an uprising about the scene in episode one when Mobius says "looking up to you feels right"
TCTTS
PatAg
AG
Related to the show. I actually was expecting to see the reveal that one of the Loki's was in the mind of the others about 2/3 of the way through.
I think if they decide to make that reveal next episode, then the pacing of that would be pretty clumsy.

I thought the visuals of the planet/moon were pretty amazing, and we hadn't really seen that on screen before. The idea has been in books of course, but to see it on screen was neat.
I felt like a lot of the dialogue was subpar, and it didn't really make sense based on what we had seen in the show up to that point...which again would have made sense if they revealed one was trying to enchant the other.
I also felt like the action was not very good, and it felt kind of like watching a late 90s tv show.

Still really like the show overall so far, and it's had a great aesthetic and vibe to it.

I also have some friendly that really enjoyed this last episode, so different strokes I guess
The Debt
TCTTS said:

The Debt said:

jeffk said:

Who. F/cking. Cares?

Clearly you fkin care. I relate one guys opinion and you menstruate all over the thread.

And yes, it is annoying when filmmakers force a relationship into a story. A great example is thor...the weakest two films are about thor and natalie Portman. The moment the romance is removed from the narrative, the story got 1000x better. (Spare me the Waititi style line.)

It's absolutely hilarious that I state "not all source material is like that" and that gets fury and vengeance from the Hollyweird apologist. Have some self-awareness...
The Debt
Quote:

I'm just surprised there wasn't an uprising about the scene in episode one when Mobius says "looking up to you feels right"

Oh, yes. Us neathdrthal middle-americans are absolutely triggered by women in authority.
TCTTS
AG
The Debt said:

TCTTS said:

The Debt said:

jeffk said:

Who. F/cking. Cares?

Clearly you fkin care. I relate one guys opinion and you menstruate all over the thread.

And yes, it is annoying when filmmakers force a relationship into a story. A great example is thor...the weakest two films are about thor and natalie Portman. The moment the romance is removed from the narrative, the film got 1000x better. (Spare me the Waititi style line.)

It's absolutely hilarious that I state "not all source material is like that" and that gets fury and vengeance from the Hollyweird apologist. Have some self-awareness...

Your post doesn't exist in a vacuum. You've ALWAYS posted sh*t like the post I was referring to. For as long as you've been posting. It wasn't a reaction to a single instance.
The Debt
And you've been told to chill TF out by staff...

And you cant because somewhere on the forum someone has a take you dont like.
PatAg
AG
The Debt said:

Quote:

Oh, yes. Us neathdrthal middle-americans are absolutely triggered by women in authority.
More old white man to young black woman. Not much different about getting worked up over the god of mischief mentioning he will put his dick in anything that moves.
TCTTS
AG
Ah, yes, I get called out for someone having a take I don't like, while you get called out for a show having a take you don't like. Except you're the only one getting offended when told to chill.
rhutton125
AG
I've never cared about Loki's sexuality, and I still don't! But if this character reveal helps someone or means something to someone then great.

He's not a character that's going to give up on a plan for love, or even let it affect him at all, so... nothing really changes.
TexasAggie_02
AG
redline248
AG
rhutton125 said:

I've never cared about Loki's sexuality, and I still don't! But if this character reveal helps someone or means something to someone then great.

He's not a character that's going to give up on a plan for love, or even let it affect him at all, so... nothing really changes.
Yeah, Loki, the mischievous villain who will murder, lie, con and cheat his way to anything he wants is a great role model for young bi-sexuals.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

Ah, yes, I get called out for someone having a take I don't like, while you get called out for a show having a take you don't like. Except you're the only one getting offended when told to chill.
These back and forths seem so much more stupid when one of the opinions is not mine.
bluefire579
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

Obviously there are a couple of folks who really ****ing care enough that they keep complaining about it every time something like this happens
Phat32
AG
Can we talk about the rest of the show? To me, the Loki comment was just like Bond's in Skyfall. Throwaway and meaningless. Move on.
amercer
AG
Just caught up with the show, and without looking, the last 5 pages are about gay stuff right?
amercer
AG
Did love the last two episodes though. Looks like the TVA are the bad guys, and we get some more good guy Loki, which is nice
jeffk
AG
TVA is the bad guys, but all of their minions apparently don't know they're being held captive. Really interesting to see what happens when the find out.
amercer
AG
Sort of an inverse Scarlet Witch scenario. In multiple ways.
King moto moto
AG
When does Wanda show up?

Episode 5?
Ol Army 01 Post Boobs
AliasMan02
AG
Man, the destruction of Lamentis was genuinely tragic and hard to watch. I guess because it was so savage and it's not like most disaster movie where you know they'll pull it out in the end. Really strong.
W
AG
one thing slightly working against the series...

it only has 1 character (Loki) from all the previous MCU movies. And he's having to carry the whole show so to speak with new characters all around him.

whereas F&WS and WandaVision both had up to 4 characters from the movies...very likeable characters for most viewers.

episode 4 needs to be grand
91_Aggie
AG
Loki can carry this on his own. FATWS was just boring for me. Best character Julia louis-dreyfus
PatAg
AG
W said:

one thing slightly working against the series...

it only has 1 character (Loki) from all the previous MCU movies. And he's having to carry the whole show so to speak with new characters all around him.

whereas F&WS and WandaVision both had up to 4 characters from the movies...very likeable characters for most viewers.

episode 4 needs to be grand
I would say that Owen Wilson's character immediately picked up the slack. So when episode 3 reverts to only having Loki...and he is behaving in a way that is not really consistent with his character to date, it's kind of jarring.
The Debt
Owen Wilson not being in episode 3 "looking for the Loki variants" kinda supports the theory that ep3 was an illusion...
AliasMan02
AG
The Debt said:

Owen Wilson not being in episode 3 "looking for the Loki variants" kinda supports the theory that ep3 was an illusion...

I think there's a very strong possibility of that, but see two issues I don't have answers for. First, she said when she creates fantasies to enchant people, she uses they're memories, but that's not the case here. Also, what could she want from Loki, who doesn't know anything about the TVA?
TexasAggie_02
AG
AliasMan02 said:

The Debt said:

I think there's a very strong possibility of that, but see two issues I don't have answers for. First, she said when she creates fantasies to enchant people, she uses they're memories, but that's not the case here. Also, what could she want from Loki, who doesn't know anything about the TVA?

Unless loki is using her memories to enchant her. She's the one that's familiar with this place.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.