***** Loki - Season 1 Discussion Thread (Wednesdays - Jun 9 - Jul 14) *****

102,357 Views | 1210 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by mazag08
TexasAggie_02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bobinator
AG
AliasMan02 said:

TVA doesn't dictate OUTCOME so much as dictate method, as far as I can tell. They only intervene if time travel is used to alter the timeline. If Stark had been decapitated by Thanos on Titan, the TVA would not have intervened.

In the case of the Avengers and Endgame, remember they deliberately took steps to prevent creating alternate timelines, which sounds different than other variants that the TVA hunts.

The alternate Cap timeline is still a question mark, though.
This part is untrue, and Loki himself is the proof. He didn't even time travel, and the Avenger's time traveling was supposedly 'supposed to happen', so they only reason he's a variant is the outcome. A variant doesn't have to time travel to be a variant, they just have to deviate from the 'sacred timeline,' the 'late for work' example from Miss Minutes video shows that.

I think for now though we just need to ride this out before getting too caught up in what it means for everything. Maybe they'll attempt to explain the Captain America thing.
Gigem314
AG
YouBet said:

texasaggie04 said:

YouBet said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

Here's a crazy idea, what if the avengers are supposed to lose, but loki destroys the TVA which allows them to win, and allows the multiverse to flourish? Would also explain why Caps new timeline with Peggy isn't erased.

I like this. Would be the ultimate Loki trick. His meaningless and scripted life is actually the fulcrum for all existence.

I think this is something Mobius was already hinting in the first episode - where Loki's role is to make others their best selves.
Loki the God of Mentorship

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
bobinator said:

AliasMan02 said:

TVA doesn't dictate OUTCOME so much as dictate method, as far as I can tell. They only intervene if time travel is used to alter the timeline. If Stark had been decapitated by Thanos on Titan, the TVA would not have intervened.

In the case of the Avengers and Endgame, remember they deliberately took steps to prevent creating alternate timelines, which sounds different than other variants that the TVA hunts.

This part is untrue, and Loki himself is the proof. He didn't even time travel, and the Avenger's time traveling was supposedly 'supposed to happen', so they only reason he's a variant is the outcome. A variant doesn't have to time travel to be a variant, they just have to deviate from the 'sacred timeline,' the 'late for work' example from Miss Minutes video shows that.

I think for now though we just need to ride this out before getting too caught up in what it means for everything. Maybe they'll attempt to explain the Captain America thing.

I'm thinking they give us a Tenet answer.

TXAG 05
AG
bobinator said:

AliasMan02 said:

Agree with this, Loki didn't time travel, but by escaping the Avengers changes everything that happens(that is supposed to happen) after that event.
JCRiley09
AG
I know it's a tv show, but shouldn't the avengers have been the ones standing trial since they screwed up and failed to get the tesseract thus allowing Loki to escape?
C@LAg
JCRiley09 said:

I know it's a tv show, but shouldn't the avengers have been the ones standing trial since they screwed up and failed to get the tesseract thus allowing Loki to escape?
they explained it with a single sentence plotforce.
JCRiley09
AG
I know. But it doesn't make sense. Which I'm fine with because it's a tv show.

It's the avengers' faults that Loki got away
C@LAg
JCRiley09 said:

I know. But it doesn't make sense. Which I'm fine with because it's a tv show.

It's the avengers' faults that Loki got away
yes, but the TVA stepped in and the problem has been fixed. they captured loki and he essentially ceases to exist in the prime MCU. and the dealt with the spare infinity stone which has been rendered useless.
the avengers do not have to be derezzed; they themselves are not on another timeline.

JCRiley09
AG

Edit: it's supposed to be a gif of a confused dude, but I'm not putting in the effort to fix it
redline248
AG
This is why it's best left not trying to make sense of time travel plots.
TexasAggie_02
AG
JCRiley09 said:

the 3 timekeepers or whatever that created the TVA need existence to happen a certain way, most likely to their benefit. they allow the avengers to time travel to maintain the main timeline. The TVA most likely clipped all the branches made by the avengers as soon as cap returned the stones.

If time travel helps the sacred timeline, then it will be allowed to happen.
bangobango
AG
enjoyed the first episode.

I enjoyed how TVA is basically what Loki wanted to be.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
bangobango said:

enjoyed the first episode.

I enjoyed how TVA is basically what Loki wanted to be.
Read Loki's speech from Avengers. This is part of the illusion he referenced to Mobius? It's great stuff.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Finally got to check it out today and loved it. Scratches my itch for multiple possibility shows, can't wait for the "What If?" series later this summer.

Since they didn't actually show the Loki in the field, I really question if it's him at all. It might be a theory but if someone is going around killing these TVA teams, how would they know who did it? And if they can control time, why don't they use those little deals to go back in time 15 minutes and capture whoever is killing their agents?

I was so pleased to see Owen Wilson in this role in the trailers and he didn't disappoint. If nothing else, the recent Disney run has a way of finding actors whose prime seemed over and giving them the ability to really how their chops - Carl Weathers was an unexpected gem in Mando as well.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Did the new episode just drop? Was trying to watch Rebels and the app just crapped on me again with the standard "Error Code 39." Not a chance I'm paying for Disney+ after my trial runs out in a couple days.
C@LAg
Harry Lime said:

Did the new episode just drop? Was trying to watch Rebels and the app just crapped on me again with the standard "Error Code 39." Not a chance I'm paying for Disney+ after my trial runs out in a couple days.
1. Continue paying for Disney+.
2. Never use the app
3. Download a fantastic 1080p or 2160p version from torrents.

usually can download within minutes of when the show starts airing.

you can argue the semantics of using torrents, but I feel no guilt as I am paying for the service to watch shows, but just using other means to watch the shows.
YouBet
AG
I hadn't thought about the "What if?" series which the existence of TVA now perfectly sets up.
bobinator
AG

Quote:

yes, but the TVA stepped in and the problem has been fixed. they captured loki and he essentially ceases to exist in the prime MCU. and the dealt with the spare infinity stone which has been rendered useless.
the avengers do not have to be derezzed; they themselves are not on another timeline.

I think the 'ceases to exist' part is something they are going to have to explain which is why I'm not (yet) getting too caught up in what the various time travel implications might be.

I actually don't think he ceases to exist, that wouldn't make any sense if, according to the sacred timeline, the rest of his life still has to happen. But are there two of him now?

That's what I mean by ride this out, I think we gotta see what they show says before we get too far out in space with it.
MooreTrucker
AG
I thought new eps come out on Wednesday?
CoachRTM
AG
MooreTrucker said:

I thought new eps come out on Wednesday?

Yea, should be 2-3am Texas time tonight, right?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
YouBet said:

I hadn't thought about the "What if?" series which the existence of TVA now perfectly sets up.
The voice cast for this show is nuts - basically everyone save Tony and Steve. And of couse, Chadwick Boseman's last performane as T'Challa.

• [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayley_Atwell][/url]
  • Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter / Captain Britain[2][4

]Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa[2] / Star-Lord[3]

Josh Brolin as Thanos[2]Dominic Cooper as Howard Stark[2]

David Dastmalchian as Kurt[5]

Michael Douglas as Hank Pym[2]

Karen Gillan as Nebula[2]Jeff Goldblum as Grandmaster[2]

Frank Grillo as Brock Rumlow[6]

Sean Gunn as Kraglin Obfonteri[2]

Chris Hemsworth as Thor[2]

Tom Hiddleston as Loki[2]

Djimon Hounsou as Korath the Pursuer[2]

Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury[2]

Toby Jones as Arnim Zola[2]

Michael B. Jordan as Killmonger[2]

Neal McDonough as Dum Dum Dugan[2]

Natalie Portman as Jane Foster[2]

Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton[2]

Michael Rooker as Yondu Udonta[2]

Paul Rudd as Scott Lang[2]

Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner[2]

Sebastian Stan as James "Bucky" Barnes[2

Chris Sullivan as Taserface[5]

Stanley Tucci as Abraham Erskine[5]

Taika Waititi as Korg[2]
  • [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_If...%3F_(TV_series)#cite_note-SDCCCast-2][/url]
redline248
AG
Yes! Taserface is back
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
redline248 said:

Yes! Taserface is back
amercer
AG
redline248 said:

This is why it's best left not trying to make sense of time travel plots.

Well the best explanation is that the TVA is full of **** and Loki 100% got it right with his explanation of what was going on. And Mobius know it so he's helping Loki bring them down. Probably because Kang has already corrupted the TVA by using his girlfriend to pull the strings.
FincAg
AG
I'm watching this because it is entertaining. Why try and guess the story? Just let it play out and enjoy.
JCRiley09
AG
First time here?
FincAg
AG
Long time lurker. I followed yalls WandaVision thread for awhile but near the end yall sort of jumped the track.
TCTTS
AG
For many of us, the watching and the discussing go hand-in-hand. For me, they're equally as fun and satisfying. And the guessing is just part of the discussing. In fact, it's almost impossible to discuss in depth without the guessing coming up organically.
redline248
AG
I tell ya what, maybe the best part about being in Hawaii is getting to watch this show at 9pm.

Damn, that was a good episode.
TCTTS
AG
This show is so incredibly fun. Man, what an episode.

Every last scene - even if it's just two people talking exposition at a table - crackles with energy, tension, and charm. And then to up the ante with that final Roxxcart set piece - it's all just so well done.

I can't get over how invested I already am in this Loki's plight, and the fantastic job they're doing challenging him, along with the TVU and even the MCU itself, in the most philosophically interesting ways.

I'm so interested to see where this goes, but in the meantime, I already want to go back and watch these first two episodes, something I never wanted to do for either of the previous two series.
AMW2010
AG
Solid episode. Loved when they are sitting at the table midway in the episode talking about how they are created and it sounds weird when you talk about it some deep level thinking there and I loved it because no one really knows, we just come into being for a time and then we don't
AMW2010
AG
Also I'm gonna make sure I'm not in Alabama in 2050 Justtttttt in case and this is one of those "Simpson's predicted it" kinda events
LeonardSkinner
AMW2010 said:

Also I'm gonna make sure I'm not in Alabama in 2050 Justtttttt in case and this is one of those "Simpson's predicted it" kinda events

To be fair, I just try to make sure I'm not in Alabama at any moment in time.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
So neither Loki in today's episode is all good or all bad. Funny how they both wonder whether the other is superior.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.