***** Loki - Season 1 Discussion Thread (Wednesdays - Jun 9 - Jul 14) *****

102,641 Views | 1210 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by mazag08
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Really liked the first episode. Wilson and Hiddleston killed it. Score and visuals and total vibe/mood of the show is awesome.

Watched a couple of the analysis videos and decided I'm out on those until after the last episode. I watched a bunch of them with Wanda but held off during Falcon et al. and found I enjoyed my own theories and musings more than hearing theirs each week. Plus, I think they mostly overthink things and the show disappoints as it fails to live up to the high expectations or speculation.

Excited to see where the "dangerous variant" Loki comes from.
amercer
AG
Liked episode 1. Loki and Mobius were awesome. Don't really love the twist at the end, but I guess Loki fighting another version of Loki is an easy way to keep the show a closed loop and not need to introduce new characters.I'm hopeful they sort of lean into Loki's fight for free will and the idea that the time keepers aren't exactly good guys. Of course that leads to the creation of the multiverse (of madness).

This show has the potential to be awesome, or be a confusing time traveling dumpster fire.
amercer
AG
Oh, as mentioned a couple pages back, I think bad Loki could be a future version of the Loki that the TVA captured. How else would he be able to outwit them without knowing how they work and stealing some of their goodies.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
This may have been discussed, but seeing all those Infinity Stones (and multiple copies of each) got me thinking....what if these came from failed attempts by the Avengers to recover the stones during Endgame?

I mean, Dr. Strange mentioned that one time out of 14 million actually worked. You've got to consider that some of those 14 million failures ended up with one or more of the Avengers going back in time, getting a stone and then screwing up getting back. Enter the TVA, who arrests those Avengers, takes them in, strips them of their Infinity Stone and then tries and convicts them of crimes against the timeline. Then, they kill them.

I know Morbius says that the Avengers were "supposed" to do what they did, but I think he was meaning that they were supposed to get all the stones and defeat Thanos, not screw up occasionally and threaten the timeline.

I may be wrong (time travel is so convoluted to wrap your head around), but that just sounds like a funny way for there to be a box of Infinity Stones in a clerk's desk.
redline248
AG
Or the guardians fail to stop Ronin, or Dormamu eats Strange, etc.
bobinator
AG
I thought the implication was that so many "variants" had attempted boosting infinity stones across all of time that around the TVA there's just a bunch of them that have been confiscated. Presumably attempts by all kinds of people.
C@LAg
the infinity stones have been used and destroyed numerous times in the comics, only for them to be remade or for them to reappear.
the will always exist while there is time.
those could just be captured or used infinity stones, taken out of the flow of time at different points and places, and then the "prime" infinity stones do their thing and reappear, reasserting themselves as the real stones.
as they are not the "prime" stones, they would have no power
TCTTS
AG
That was my guess.
YouBet
AG
AgfromHOU said:

From the 80's? Secret Wars #8 is selling like hot cakes.

Yes, they are in old school plastic sleeves since then. I pull them out every 5 years or so and look at them.

How much is #8 going for?
AgfromHOU
AG
Ungraded VF/NM goes for over $200
YouBet
AG
AgfromHOU said:

[checking islands for sale]
AgfromHOU
AG
YouBet said:

AgfromHOU said:

[checking islands for sale]

I said they were selling like hot cakes, not selling for an insane amount that could put a kid through college. Especially compared to my most valuable comic being $100 for the first silver age scarecrow.
W
AG
just watched episode 1.

it was interesting. About 30 minutes into it...I was hoping Loki would indeed burn the TVA to the ground.

i wonder if he's going to do something to save his mother in the main sacred timeline. That was a very emotional moment.

for a second I thought the flight attendant on the plane was the same lady as the judge in the time court.

looking forward to episode 2

Flashdiaz
AG
I hope the villain turns out to be a Mobius variant played by Luke Wilson.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Flashdiaz said:

I hope the villain turns out to be a Mobius variant played by Luke Wilson.

mazag08
AG
Really enjoyed episode one.
Dr. Horrible
Finally caught up on this thread after watching last night. Count me in the crew that the "it's you" message on the villain ends up being "it's someone that thinks like you and has your motivations" (to borrow that perspective from someone earlier in the thread) as opposed to just being an alternate Loki.
Overall enjoyed it. Kinda wish it was still on fridays because I probably can't watch on Wednesdays with regularity, so will have to dodge spoilers. I got spoiled on the scene with the infinity stones for this week since I couldn't watch until Friday.
JCRiley09
AG

Have y'all watched this yet? Really gets into a literal interpretation of how time travel supposedly works in the MCU. Lots of timelines and some assumptions on the fate of those.

Anyway, I think this falls into the "overthinking it" category, and the bad guy Loki is just this same timeline Loki deciding to destroy the TVA as some of y'all have guessed
The Shank Ag
Just watched, which is out of character for someone that has midnight released most marvel movies (having a toddler, busy at work, and going to see my first movie in theaters since end game last night kept me from streaming).

This was a solid 9.5 out of 10 so far. Thoughts;

Acknowledgment and interaction with the current MCU was at the forefront, which I love as it is making everything tie together.

Hiddleston is legit a part of this character and may be the best cast marvel actor (RDJr, Cumberbatch, and Pratt being the other contenders... may add Owen Wilson by the end of this)

The TVA is both necessary (as we know so far) and terrifying.

Loki watching Frida die, Odin assimilate, and himself die, was by far one of the most impactful character moments in the MCU. The fact that it all happened within 10 minutes (much less if you count the reviewing of fridas death with the others) is kind of cheapening those moments, but somehow they made it work like gangbusters.

The infinity stone box seemed kind of overkill. I know we have to get the point that the TVA is supreme and that supernatural/magic/universal truths are no more, but that seemed a little like if Indiana Jones opened the Ark of the Covenant and walked around reading intact tablets. The enormity of the devices a decade of movies revolves around being reduced to "paperweights" was kind of that too much. This is my biggest nitpick on what otherwise was an amazing episode 1

My theory is that this "evil Loki variant" is actually still the same Loki we've watched so far sent by Mobius to either take down the TVA or recalibrate the timeline. I surmise we eventually see both Loki's team up (possibly with infinite other magic Loki projections) fight together to reach this goal.

I really hope this doesn't start the multiverse as I think it's going to cheapen it with this setting (too easy). I hope Loki ends up fighting with alternate Loki to make one true timeline in this series, only for that to be one upped by a villain (or even by accident) in a Dr Strange or GOTG film. Dark horse is an alternate universe Stark and Banner getting sidetracked in an experiment or attempted creation gone wrong after the timekeepers or TVA is ended by Mobius/Loki

JCRiley09
AG
I think I'm getting a hold of how time travel works in MCU. If the TVA is clipping timelines to prevent a multiverse, then doesn't Loki destroying the TVA allow multiverses to exist for the next movies?
Decay
AG
I think the point of the stones (beyond showing Loki that his whole Tesseract crusade is pointless) is that we're in a new phase and it's time to leave them behind. "Upping the stakes" as they say. We, like Loki, must understand that there's much larger power at play now.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Decay said:

I think the point of the stones (beyond showing Loki that his whole Tesseract crusade is pointless) is that we're in a new phase and it's time to leave them behind. "Upping the stakes" as they say. We, like Loki, must understand that there's much larger power at play now.

What's kind of funny though, is that in 14,000,603 outcomes that Thanos wins in Endgame, the TVA would step in and erase that timeline bc they need the avengers to win. In a way, it kind of cheapens the victory and the sacrifices made.

Also, you have a variant gamora now inside the sacred timeline, but you could just say that it needs to happen, so the TVA allows it.
Decay
AG
Oh for sure. You could even say that maybe they didn't do it right and the TVA helped all along. Maybe everything in Endgame actually was pointless?
TexasAggie_02
AG
Who's been erasing all the variants?
It was TVA all along
Who made sure that the avengers won?
It was TVA all along
TexasAggie_02
AG
Here's a crazy idea, what if the avengers are supposed to lose, but loki destroys the TVA which allows them to win, and allows the multiverse to flourish? Would also explain why Caps new timeline with Peggy isn't erased.
AliasMan02
AG
TVA doesn't dictate OUTCOME so much as dictate method, as far as I can tell. They only intervene if time travel is used to alter the timeline. If Stark had been decapitated by Thanos on Titan, the TVA would not have intervened.

In the case of the Avengers and Endgame, remember they deliberately took steps to prevent creating alternate timelines, which sounds different than other variants that the TVA hunts.

The alternate Cap timeline is still a question mark, though.
YouBet
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

Here's a crazy idea, what if the avengers are supposed to lose, but loki destroys the TVA which allows them to win, and allows the multiverse to flourish? Would also explain why Caps new timeline with Peggy isn't erased.

I like this. Would be the ultimate Loki trick. His meaningless and scripted life is actually the fulcrum for all existence.
C@LAg
TexasAggie_02 said:

actually this denies the cap in another timeline theory.

if there can only be one timeline, then cap cannot have gone back in time to another time line without also correcting his break, because then there would have been two concurrent timelines, so not just the sacred timeline.

so by default he has to be in the prime timeline.
C@LAg
YouBet said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

I like this. Would be the ultimate Loki trick. His meaningless and scripted life is actually the fulcrum for all existence.
the meta thing in the comics is that in the end, Loki has no actual choice/free will because his fate was already determined and recorded well before he was born. his story was written before he came to be, and his role in Ragnarok and the downfall of the gods was predetermined. Anything he does, including his periodic swing to "good" will inevitably swing back to his status quo.

They did a really good story once where he 9the true evil version of Loki) honestly wanted to break free from his predetermined destiny but Thor was having none of that and kills him, resetting things back to the status quo/
texasaggie04
AG
YouBet said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

I think this is something Mobius was already hinting in the first episode - where Loki's role is to make others their best selves.
YouBet
AG
texasaggie04 said:

YouBet said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

I think this is something Mobius was already hinting in the first episode - where Loki's role is to make others their best selves.
Loki the God of Mentorship
Madmarttigan
AG
Much more interested in this over the other marvel affairs after one episode
redline248
AG
When does 2nd episode air?
TCTTS
AG
Wednesdays from here on out.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Seems more likely to me that somehow Loki betrays the TVA and thereby creates the Loki variants he was brought in to stop.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.