*****Official The Walking Dead Season 6*****

177,175 Views | 1337 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Ryan the Temp
chipotle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
I don't understand the hate for this episode or for aikido.

Every martial arts discipline bags on each other. However I think most if not all think Aikido is a joke in real life applications. Aikido has some nice wrist lock stuff but for the most part I laugh at the style in general.
Muy
AG
i trained myself in this since the show last night. seems pretty simple with basically 3 moves using a broomstick.
Objective Aggie
AG
So having a housewife dressed as a ninja was totally cool last week.

Having a 40 year old with anger issues have six months to train with a stick is implausible? He hasn't exactly taken down anyone impressive.

And Carol as a ninja was badass I am just making a point.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Only on texags does TWD, lead to a gripe fest about which martial art is better suited for the zombie apocalypse.
Drawkcab
quote:

Having a 40 year old with anger issues have six months to train with a stick is implausible? He hasn't exactly taken down anyone impressive.

Well that was...objective.
et98
AG
I don't see Morgan as an Aikido expert. It's not like he's facing UFC champions. He's mostly going up against zombies or half-wits with no fight training whatsoever.

Eastman admits that he was just taking a few classes and reading books. The writers aren't trying to pass him off as a guru. He (and now Morgan) are simply knowledgeable, which is enough to be effective against what they've had to deal with to this point.

In reality, it doesn't appear that Eastman had to face many humans in hand-to-hand combat. And Morgan held his own for a long time prior to meeting Eastman and picking up the Aikido skills.

Also, Michonne slaughters anyone and everyone with her samurai sword even though she admits she never touched one prior to the apocalypse. But nobody seems to be so upset about that.

I think y'all should also keep in mind that this series is based on a comic book.
aTmAg
AG
quote:

Carol didn't do any ridiculous jedi tricks. She just shot people while sneaking around dressed like them. That's that's the sorta smart thing I appreciate.
Objective Aggie
AG
quote:

I think y'all should also keep in mind that this series is based on a comic book.

The hell you say??? You in a heap of trouble now!
aTmAg
AG
quote:
I don't see Morgan as an Aikido expert. It's not like he's facing UFC champions. He's mostly going up against zombies or half-wits with no fight training whatsoever.

Eastman admits that he was just taking a few classes and reading books. The writers aren't trying to pass him off as a guru. He (and now Morgan) are simply knowledgeable, which is enough to be effective against what they've had to deal with to this point.

In reality, it doesn't appear that Eastman had to face many humans in hand-to-hand combat. And Morgan held his own for a long time prior to meeting Eastman and picking up the Aikido skills.

Also, Michonne slaughters anyone and everyone with her samurai sword even though she admits she never touched one prior to the apocalypse. But nobody seems to be so upset about that.

Didn't Morgan take out 3 or 4 guys that surrounded him a couple episodes ago? That is asinine. And I cannot think of a single time, offhand, that Michonne killed a living person with her sword.
johnmyu
Oh I've had issues with Michonne as well. Not worth bothering with anymore. But at least they didn't try to explain it with some half baked back story.

And yeah Wolves might not be well trained either - but they are just as experienced at this point slaughtering people and are highly motivated to do so. 6 months of up disciplined stick swinging does not prep you to take out 5-6 fully resisting and motivated attackers with edged weapons with no injuries to yourself.

I've trained with lots of people with decades of experience with resisting opponents - ask them how they would deal with being surrounded like that and 100% will say with a gun. Total joke.

Along the lines of a previous poster, it seems to be laziness with Hollywood writing and production of 'fight' scenes. It's sort of a 'montage syndrome' - flashback to a few scenes of half-assed training and now you're a master. I think there is some of that with the actors as well- they get 6 months of intense 1:1 training and believe they really are proficient - when really they are proficient at choreographed dancing at most. They would get wrecked by anyone really wanting to hit them.
johnmyu
Also - the whole what do expect it's based in a zombie comic argument - fine. I hope to see Andy Samberg and Bill Hader show up with Laser Cats to save Glen - since you know anything is plausible since it's a zombie comic.
oh no
AG
quote:
Didn't Morgan take out 3 or 4 guys that surrounded him a couple episodes ago? That is asinine.
yeah, but... each of them only approached Morgan one at a time.
aTmAg
AG
quote:
quote:
Didn't Morgan take out 3 or 4 guys that surrounded him a couple episodes ago? That is asinine.
yeah, but... each of them only approached Morgan one at a time.
That is quite convenient and another example of lazy writing. They are doing well elsewhere story wise, I wish they didn't screw up Morgan. He was one of the most interesting guys from season 1.
Dro07
AG
quote:
Oh I've had issues with Michonne as well. Not worth bothering with anymore. But at least they didn't try to explain it with some half baked back story.
wait for it...
Ryan the Temp
AG
They already did an episode about Michonne's backstory.
LHIOB
AG
quote:
quote:

Didn't Morgan take out 3 or 4 guys that surrounded him a couple episodes ago? That is asinine. And I cannot think of a single time, offhand, that Michonne killed a living person with her sword.
Its more asinine that they came at him one at a time...like in a karate movie
johnmyu
That explained who taught her the sword stuff? Must have been so bad I blocked it from my memory. Let me guess - a retired kindergarten teacher with a penchant for knitting who picked up iaido after a visit to the local Japanese culture festival?
Dro07
AG
oh thats right i forgot about that chop job
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
That explained who taught her the sword stuff? Must have been so bad I blocked it from my memory. Let me guess - a retired kindergarten teacher with a penchant for knitting who picked up iaido after a visit to the local Japanese culture festival?
No, but I don't see them finding it necessary to revisit her backstory.
johnmyu
Which was my point above. They didn't go into some half-assed explanation of Michonne's sword skill origin. Frankly, I would have preferred they left us with Morgan's cryptic 'a cheesemaker' answer to the question of where he learned how to use a staff to the 90 minutes of steaming fecal matter we got.
Scotch
AG
Speaking of cheese, I think he made a good batch toward the end, I remember seeing a fist pump in celebration.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
quote:
i trained myself in this since the show last night. seems pretty simple with basically 3 moves using a broomstick.
Sensei, I am ready to begin my training in Muy-kwan-do.

bedofbrass33
AG
quote:
Which was my point above. They didn't go into some half-assed explanation of Michonne's sword skill origin. Frankly, I would have preferred they left us with Morgan's cryptic 'a cheesemaker' answer to the question of where he learned how to use a staff to the 90 minutes of steaming fecal matter we got.
It's really dumb that you are wasting this much energy to argue about the realism of martial arts training on a TV show.

I'm a firearms enthusiast but I don't lose my mind that every shot is a head shot on the show even though actual small-arms hit rates are only about 15% during combat.

This show is ultimately about the moral and ethical choices individuals and societies must make during the worst of times. You should reevaluate why you are watching TWD and if it is a good use of your time or not.
combat wombat™
AG
quote:
You should reevaluate why you are watching TWD and if it is a good use of your time or not.
mkay
Objective Aggie
AG
Darryl hasn't missed a bow shot in over three seasons
johnmyu
There goes the point whooshing by your head - the point is about shoddy story telling not about martial arts. Evaluate your critical thinking skills while I evaluate why I watch this show.
aTmAg
AG
You aren't understanding my complaint. It annoys me when dudes walk away from explosions, when bombs are defused with 1 second left, when car chases run through guys holding plate glass windows, when police detective get their badges taken for defying their jackass captains, when super villains guess every move the police make, etc.

In that list is when average Joe's pull karate out off their asses like they have been training for 40 years after work and between diaper changes or soccer practices.
bedofbrass33
AG
Why do y'all watch TV then if all this bothers you so much? I can find holes like that in 98% of shows.

I cannot grasp how this thread is mostly complaints about the show but it is 23 pages with 700+ posts. From my point of view, if I am motivated to post multiple times about how annoyed I am at a show, I am going to stop watching it.
johnmyu
In my case - partly because I'm a fan - it's just wildly inconsistent in quality - some episodes are great, others are just awful. The great ones keep me coming back - even knowing there is a giant turd on the horizon - because the great ones are worth the flaming bags of dogpoo that gets left on the door step from time to time. And a lot of this is tongue in cheek as well.
aTmAg
AG
quote:
Why do y'all watch TV then if all this bothers you so much? I can find holes like that in 98% of shows.

I cannot grasp how this thread is mostly complaints about the show but it is 23 pages with 700+ posts. From my point of view, if I am motivated to post multiple times about how annoyed I am at a show, I am going to stop watching it.
I like the rest of the show. This is only thing that annoys me about the show at the moment. Except for this aspect, I've been defending this show from people who thought the first episode of this season was boring. Regarding this topic, people have addressed me, so I respond.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:

Some of us just have fun with things that might come across as complaints, but they aren't actually serious criticisms of the show.
Seven Costanza
AG
It's a lot like having a dog. It's fun to make fun of all dopey stuff it does, but it doesn't mean you want to euthanize it.

"Look at my dog. He's trying to pee on the wall, but it's just getting all over his feet."

"WHY DON'T JUST GET RID OF YOUR DOG IF YOU HATE HIM SO G****** MUCH!!!"

Off-topic: I wonder how much Norman Reedus is getting paid to sit on a motorcycle and say 8 words every other episode.

Blanco Ag
AG
quote:
Off-topic: I wonder how much Norman Reedus is getting paid to sit on a motorcycle and say 8 words every other episode.
I have been wondering the exact same thing. Daryl has seen no action this season.
Muy
AG
quote:
quote:
Sensei, I am ready to begin my training in Muy-kwan-do.

Just grab a broomstick and go in the backyard. Make 3 relatively different moves and always stiffen up after you swings. Keep your feet spread apart, head down and eyes up in a very focused look, you're ready.
CheeseSndwch
I liked it. Wasn't the best but it wasn't the worst episode in the series.

If I had one gripe, it seems like Morgan and the Cheese Maker were expending a lot of calories training and burying walkers. At some point you'd figure they'd have to eat some animal protein.

Also watching someone starve to death over 47 days is pretty ruthless. I get it but damn.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.